Thread: Happy Veterans Day!

Thanks

Default Happy Veterans Day!

Hello guys! Thank you for your valor and your service and the sacrifice that you and your families have given for our American freedoms!

I was at the parade in Denver with my children. It was amazing how many young people from high schools were dressed in ROTC, Young Marines, and other types of uniforms marching in the parade. That was awesome and surprising to see. The other thing that was unusual this year was the group Iraq Veterans for Peace, raining on the parade and marching somewhere in the middle of the hour and a half long event. They had several people who were speaking out to onlookers about bringing back our troops. I responded to one of them with, "Yes, bring them back--VICTORIOUS!" He shook his head and stated "We will not win the war in Iraq." And I said, "Well, we'd better win it." It was windy so my youngest was huddled against me with her head peeking out from my Airforce military jacket. I'm sure that was a very cute sight, and one of the vets smiled at us while he saluted me. I just shook my head and laughed at his teasing. "No, not to me, to YOU," I said. Another vet "hoaaah!"ed me. It was great to be in the company of so many heroes. Great fun. I hope that you all are with your families and celebrating in some way.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Happy Veterans Day!

A big to all those who have served or are serving our country!

God Bless!

Thanks

Freedom isn't free

To all our veterans, their families and friends!

May the Lord continually protect and provide for you and yours.

Thanks

Found this film clip, to all my fellow Vets and a thanks to all of you for your support of us.
    http://www.gcsdistributing.com/?pv=tr&tf=TDP&DT=MD

Thanks

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_4644910

Thanks, dissent mingle at vets' events

By Katharine Bernuth
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated:11/11/2006 10:15:43 PM MST

Boy Scouts Michael Harger, left, Will Bowen and Kamil Rychlinski place American flags at headstones of U.S. veterans in Denver s Fairmount Cemetery on Saturday as part of a Veterans Day project. (Post / Kathryn Scott Osler)

As the veterans of generations past and present strolled through the streets of downtown Denver on Saturday morning, shouts of "thank you" rang out from the crowds of spectators lining the sidewalks.

Onlookers at the Veterans Day parade alternated between rowdy bursts of support and quiet salutes as the men and women who served America in foreign wars marched by in uniform.

Command Sgt. Maj. Ronald Lowe was at the parade, making a video the Army will use to motivate troops who will be deployed overseas.

"The soldiers are inundated by a lot of things on the news, and sometimes support is the last thing they hear about," Lowe said.

This year's Veterans Day celebration reflected the divergent opinions over the war in Iraq. A group of veterans who have returned from Iraq held a banner pronouncing their opposition to the war.

One of those veterans, Dustin Flatt, served in Iraq for a year. Flatt said the crowd had a mixed reaction to the group's presence. Some booed and jeered, while others erupted in loud cheers. I think like most of us who were there, cheers of thanks and support ended as the message became clear to us. Rolls eyes.

But Flatt will accept being called a disgrace by a few parade onlookers to march in opposition of a war he calls "counterproductive."

"It's making more terrorists. It just doesn't make sense. We're not even going after the terrorists of 9/11," Flatt said.

Across town at Fairmount Cemetery, small groups of children fanned out, searching for graves of soldiers outside of the military portion of the graveyard.

The project was the idea of Steve Edwards, a 16-year-old Scout from Troop 52 of Aurora. His goal was to place a flag on the graves of all veterans, not just the ones buried in the designated area.

This is the third Veterans Day that Edwards has spent in the cemetery placing flags on veterans' graves. He thinks some soldiers wished to be buried with their wives and families, which is why their headstones aren't with the other soldiers.

Edwards passed out maps, charts and bundles of flags to his fellow Scouts helping in the effort, including members of Girl Scout Troop 550.

"This is my way of repaying them," Edwards said.

Before the children set off in their small groups, they listened to the names of the 27 veterans who were buried in Fairmount Cemetery so far this year. The names of the men and women echoed through the eaves of Ivy Chapel as the children sat silently with their heads bowed.

Alan Buser, 11, made his way down one line of headstones, checking the inscription on each one. He said he imagined what he would say to these veterans if they were alive.

"I'd say thank you for ... helping us to be free. I'm sorry you're dead, but at least you died helping everyone you ever met to live happier, safer and more free," Buser said.

A group of three girls knelt in the grass, brushing leaves off the headstones. They moved slowly from grave to grave, remarking to each other about especially long or short lives.

"It's sad they died, but I'm happy we can come and recognize them with a flag," said Emily West, 14.
    Staff writer Katharine Bernuth can be reached at 303-954-1752 or kbernuth@denverpost.com.
    Wow. This is very touching in that even children correctly understand that freedom isn't free and just exactly what that cost is.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information