Thread: Russia Plans Complete Overhaul Of MiG-31 Interceptor Fleet

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Russia Plans Complete Overhaul Of MiG-31 Interceptor Fleet

Russia Plans Complete Overhaul Of MiG-31 Interceptor Fleet
    Russia plans to modernize its MiG-31 Foxhound interceptor aircraft, which have been in service for 25 years, the air force commander said Thursday.

The modernized interceptor will feature unique air-to-air missiles capable of hitting targets at ranges exceeding 200 kilometers (125 miles), including aircraft with stealth capabilities, cruise missiles, and supersonic aircraft, Army General Vladimir Mikhailov said.

"Modernization of the fleet of MiG-31 interceptors will significantly increase the combat capabilities of the air defense, especially over remote areas of northern Russia, Siberia and the Far East, where air defense contingents have been sharply reduced since the 1990s," Mikhailov said.

The MiG-31 modernization and overhaul program will be implemented at the Sokol aircraft plant in Nizhny Novgorod, in Central Russia.

Mikhailov said the modernized supersonic interceptor will become a formidable rival to all fifth-generation fighters, due to enhanced radar detection and tracking capabilities, and a wide array of advanced weaponry.

According to various sources, about 500 MiG-31s have been produced since serial production began in 1978, approximately 370 of which remain in service within the Russian Air Force. After modernization, the interceptors are expected to serve until 2015.

Thanks

Default Re: Russia Plans Complete Overhaul Of MiG-31 Interceptor Fleet

you know, the russians keep saying they have ground- and air-based radars capable of detecting and attacking stealth aircraft, but the truth is, i do not beleive it. i dont think they have a PRAYER of really intercepting a B-2A spirit and i dont think they have a snowball's chance in hell on a hot day of detecting an F-22A raptor either. i think the radars they are fielding are good stuff, but when it comes right down to killing time, they arent up to muster and the spirit and raptor will prevail.

i dont have any real worries about russian air defense capabilities in light of stealth developements. the new radars may be marginally more capable of detecting the aircraft but leaps and bounds? a true counter to the stealth aircraft we are fielding? no, they arent that good. and they wont be out there in great enough numbers to affect anything anyway except to make things a LITTLE more dicey for conventional aircraft. and if DARPA would get off its ass and actually finish developement of a truly stealthy attack cruise missile, the russians would be up $hit creek without a paddle.

ev

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Russia Plans Complete Overhaul Of MiG-31 Interceptor Fleet

Kolchuga Passive EWR

Tamara Passive EWR

Vera Passive EWR

Low-frequency radars may be used to overcome "Stealth" technology

In particular, former defense partners of USSR and China have a considerable quantities of older low-frequency radars still in service. These radars use very basic technology, however their performance can be drastically improved through the application of latest computer microprocessor technology. Well-known modifications of such radars include the Iraqi "Tiger Song" radar, Chinese "Nantsin" radar and a number of older Soviet-made long-range radars.

That said, I still think that stealth aircraft are highly important as we should take any advantage we can get in combatting our enemies.

Thread Information