Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Libya: Medics Sentenced To Death

Thanks

Default Libya: Medics Sentenced To Death

http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level_En...69993871&par=0

LIBYA: MEDICS SENTENCED TO DEATH IN KEY TRIAL

Tripoli, 19 Dec. (AKI) - A Libyan court on Tuesday found five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor guilty of infecting 426 Libyan children with the HIV virus and sentenced them to death. Judge Mahmoud Haouissa read out the sentences which the six medics can now appeal to Libya's supreme court. The six are accused of intentionally infecting the children at a hospital in the port city of Benghazi in the late 1990s. The prosecution had demanded the death penalty.

The five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor, who had been sentenced to death by firing squad in a previous trial in 2004, have been detained in Libya since 1999.

Libya's supreme court ordered a retrial in December 2005.

The nurses and doctor, who all worked at the Benghazi hospital, have long protested their innocence. Of the infected children, 52 have died.

Last month, an international group of physicians and scientists urged Libya to free the medics, saying that accusations against them were unfounded.

In a report published in Nature, the prestigious science publication asked a group of independent researchers to assess a document drafted by Libyan physicians in 2003 on which the prosecution's evidence in the case is based. All agreed that the accusations were groundless.

The experts also criticised the Libyan court's decision to dismiss a report by Luc Montagnier, who co-discovered the HIV virus and by Vittorio Colizzi, a researcher at Rome's Tor Vergata university.

According to the report, the infections started in 1997 before the arrival of the six medics and were caused by poor hygiene standards.

The two scientists cited as evidence the fact that many of the infected children also had hepatitis B and C and that two nurses at the hospital were infected with the same HIV strain as the children - a common strain in central and west Africa and not a genetically modified one as alleged by the prosecution.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Libya: Medics Sentenced To Death

http://www.americanthinker.com/2005/..._benghazi.html

Benghazi is an old city lying on the Mediterranean in northeast Libya. It has seen its share of conquest, mainly by the Greek, Roman and Byzantium empires, but the conquest of 7th century Muslim Arabs holds sway over the city to this day. The second capital of Libya after Tripoli, Benghazi's current appellation was derived after a 15th century man named Seedi Ghazi; a charitable soul who contributed greatly to the city and its inhabitants.

Almost six hundred years later it has become ironic that the residents of Benghazi, a city named after a person of philanthropy, would label an equally benevolent medical staff consisting of five nurses and one doctor as pariahs worthy of execution.

It all began in 1998 when two Bulgarian nurses working at the Benghazi Children's Hospital were detained by Libyan authorities. By mid 2004, five Bulgarian nurses and one Palestinian doctor were delivered death sentences by the criminal court of Benghazi. According to the Libyan government, the medical staff had deliberately infecting more than 400 Libyan children with HIV, the virus which causes AIDS.

Conspiracy theories abound
    In this day of instantaneous communication many have fallen prey to urban legends or revisionist history, but no where on the planet do conspiracy theories take root more than in the Arab world.
    Arab and Muslim people are hurt, wronged and in turn feed conspiracy theories to the young minds it becomes easier for Muslims in general and Arabs in particular to explain our failure as a conspiracy against us; to blame others for all our problems.
    The same holds true for the community of Benghazi. Fanned by relentless government propaganda, the city's residents have come to believe the condemned medical staff to be agents of the Israeli Mossad bent on harming Libya. And wherever the Mossad is operating the CIA must have an active role, for the Agency has been accused of being a major contributor of the HIV infections.

Accusations of torture
    While Libyan authorities claim the Bulgarian nurses and the Palestinian doctor willingly confessed to their crimes, the foreign health workers held in a Tripoli prison now say their confessions were extracted via torture.
    'I confessed during torture with electricity. They put small wires on my toes and on my thumbs. Sometimes they put one on my thumb and another on either my tongue, neck or ear,' Valentina Siropulo, one of the Bulgarian defendants, told Human Rights Watch. 'They had two kinds of machines, one with a crank and one with buttons.'
    Another Bulgarian defendant, Kristiana Valceva, said interrogators used a small machine with cables and a handle that produced electricity.
    'During the shocks and torture they asked me where the AIDS came from and what is your role,' she told Human Rights Watch. She said that Libyan interrogators subjected her to electric shocks on her breasts and genitals.
    'My confession was all in Arabic without translation,' she said. 'We were ready to sign anything just to stop the torture.'
    Blood money and deference to Shari'a
    Tiny Bulgaria is poised to join the EU in 2007 and doesn't want to embarrass its larger European masters, so it has adopted a pragmatic approach when dealing with Libya. Bulgaria agreed to Libyan demands for modern medical equipment and even offered to restructure $27 million in Libyan debt, but the staunch Balkan Republic balked when Libya suggested a payment of 'blood money.' The International Herald—Tribune reports:
    But Libya has countered that Bulgaria should also negotiate a payment of "blood money" to the families of the infected children, saying that the families might then express forgiveness toward the nurses and ask for dismissal of the court case, a procedure permitted under Islamic law.
    The Libyan figure of $10 million for each child draws parallels to the $10 million Libya agreed to pay each of the families of the 270 people killed in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 by its agents over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988. For Bulgaria, it would amount to 25 percent of its gross domestic product. The Bulgarian government has rejected the idea. It rejects the concept of "blood money," Kalfin said. "Second, there's no way to compare this to Lockerbie."
    The seven—year long incident appears more and more to be a criminal act of extortion by the Libyan government rather than any wrongdoing by the foreign medical staff.

The real cause of the HIV transfer and a son's admission
    French virologist Luc Montagnier, whose work was paramount in discovering the HIV virus, visited the Benghazi Children's Hospital in 2002 and what he saw shocked even him. Calling the situation 'dramatic' Mr. Montagnier concluded that hundreds of children had been infected with HIV because hospital staff did not properly sterilize needles or isolate those children already infected.

The decision to execute the Bulgarian nurses along with the Palestinian doctor was supposed to have been made on November 15th. The ruling was delayed until January 31st 2006 by Supreme Court judge Ali al—Alus.

Five days prior to the final appeal, the influential son of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, Saif al—Islam, responded to the question of whether he thought the nurses were guilty.
    "Personally I don't think so, but nevertheless we have a tragedy. Whether it's a conspiracy as they said, which I don't believe in, or negligence or mismanagement, at the end we have a tragedy which is a matter of fact and we can't ignore. You know, I'm not a forensic expert but I don't think that it was a plot or a conspiracy. This is my own perception."
    Mr. al—Islam insists the Bulgarian government settle the matter with the victim's families by monetary means. Bulgaria refuses on the ground that 'this would be tantamount to admitting guilt.'

What is to be done?
    The tragedy of this story is that fifty children infected with HIV have already died, but to make scapegoats of six medical workers for the scandalous hygienic conditions and bad laboratory procedures practiced by Libyan officials only compounds the tragedy. Some of the nurses have already languished in captivity for seven years. The key to their release will have to be admission by Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi that he and his government were wrong. Mr. Gaddafi appears to be working in that direction.

Bulgaria's National Television reported that the newspaper is citing sources close to the Libyan government as saying that a session of the General People's Congress, the country's supreme institution, is being prepared. At that session the Congress is said to make amendments to the punishing law and an amendment concerning the death sentence.

According to the article the intention of the law reforms will be to allow either the General People's Congress or Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi the right to abolish the death sentence without consultations with the Supreme Judicial Court.

Time will tell if this approach will finally secure the release of the condemned six of Benghazi.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

http://www.setimes.com/cocoon/setime.../19/feature-01

Libyan court confirms death sentences for Bulgarian, Palestinian medics

19/12/2006
    A Tripoli court sentenced a Palestinian doctor and five Bulgarian nurses to death on Tuesday, after finding them guilty of deliberately infecting hundreds of Libyan children with HIV.
    (Reuters, AP, BBC, The Christian Science Monitor, Darik Radio, Sofia News Agency, Focus News Agency, Sofia Echo - 19/12/06; AP, DPA, Sofia News Agency, Mediapool, Dnevnik - 18/12/06)
    The medical personnel, accused of deliberately infecting more than 400 Libyan children with HIV, have been imprisoned since 1999. [Getty Images]

The retrial of a Palestinian doctor and five Bulgarian nurses, accused of intentionally infecting more than 400 Libyan children with HIV, ended in Tripoli on Tuesday (December 19th) with the court confirming their death sentences.

"In the name of the people and after reviewing the documents and hearing the arguments by lawyers of both sides, the court decided on death sentences," Judge Mahmoud Haouissa said, announcing the verdict at the retrial's closing session, which lasted less than ten minutes.

Palestinian doctor Ashraf Ahmad Jum'a and Bulgarian nurses Valya Chervenyashka, Snezhana Dimitrova, Nasya Nenova, Valentina Siropulo and Kristiana Valcheva were arrested in February 1999, less than a year after they arrived in Libya to help care for patients at the Al-Fateh Hospital in Benghazi. In the course of 1998, 426 children at the hospital were diagnosed with AIDS. Fifty-two of them have since died.

The first trial of the six medics ended in May 2004, with judges condemning them to death by firing squad. Following a wave of international outrage, Libya's Supreme Court overturned the ruling and sent the case for retrial at a lower court.

Top international AIDS experts, including French Professor Luc Montagnier, who first detected the HIV virus, have maintained that the outbreak at the Benghazi hospital preceded the medics' arrival in Libya. They cited unhygienic practices as the reason.

Research conducted by British and Italian scientists and published earlier this month also exonerated the Palestinian doctor and the Bulgarian nurses.

"All the lines of scientific evidence point in the same direction, towards a longstanding infection control problem at the hospital, dating back to the mid 1990s or earlier," one of the researchers, Oxford University's Oliver Pybus, said.

The analysis of genetic information from HIV samples taken from 44 of the infected children showed that they were part of a single outbreak of a strain that is common in West Africa, home of many immigrants to Libya.

"From a legal perspective the trial has been neither fair nor impartial," a Reuters report Tuesday quoted Paris-based lawyer Emmanuel Altit, who helps advise the defence team, as saying. "The court has refused to hear scientific evidence by leading international experts that counter the prosecution case."

Maintaining their innocence, the Bulgarian nurses have insisted that their confessions were extorted by torture, including beatings with barbed wire, rape, electrical shocks and dog attacks.

Nine Libyan officers charged with torturing the medics were acquitted in June 2005.

Tuesday's verdict was met with tears of joy by relatives of the infected children, attending the hearing. Many of them shouted, "God is greatest".

Backing the medics' case, the United States, the EU and a number of international rights groups have accused Libya of using the six foreign health workers as scapegoats.

"I’m shocked by this decision; it is a great disappointment," EU Justice Commissioner Franco Frattini said on Tuesday.

Bulgarian officials quickly condemned the verdicts. Foreign Minister Ivailo Kalfin, who is on an official visit to the United States, described the ruling as "deeply disappointing". He pledged further efforts to bring the five Bulgarian nurses home.

"Judiciary gears are still in place, we can still count on appealing the verdicts," Kalfin said in a phone interview with the local Darik radio. He suggested that his country, which will join the EU on January 1st, could exercise its right to block dialogue between the Union and Libya.

Libya has indicated that it would withdraw the death sentences if each of the families of the infected children is paid repartiations of 10m euros.

Bulgaria has rejected such demands, saying any payout would be tantamount to admitting the nurses' guilt.

Thanks

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean.../int/int2.html

LIBYA: Nurses to know fate in HIV case tomorrow
    published: Monday | December 18, 2006

TRIPOLI (Reuters):
    Five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor could face the firing squad if a Libyan court convicts them tomorrow on charges of deliberately infecting hundreds of Libyan children with the virus that causes AIDS.

Concluding a retrial regarded by the outside world as a test of justice in Libya, the court will make a decision that, either way, is likely to have repercussions on the North African country's gradual rapprochement with the West.

The six are accused of intentionally infecting 426 Libyan children with HIV at a hospital in Benghazi in the late 1990s. The prosecution has demanded the death penalty.

"We are fully confident that the accused group is criminal and will be convicted," Ramadan Faitori, a spokesman for the HIV-infected children's families, told Reuters.

Defence lawyer Othman Bizanti told Reuters: "No one can predict the verdict. A just verdict would represent the real and legal truth, which we presented to the court in our pleading."

The medics were convicted in a 2004 trial and sentenced to death by firing squad. But the Supreme Court quashed the ruling last year and ordered the case be returned to a lower court.

Miscarriage of justice
    Rights groups the world over have rallied to the medics' defence to stop what they say may be a miscarriage of justice.

But in Benghazi, where more than 50 of the infected children have died, there is profound public anger against the nurses and international efforts to free them.

State-controlled media want a guilty verdict for the six, who have been in detention since 1999.

"We say to everyone: Our children's blood is precious," Aljamahirya newspaper wrote.

Al-Shams newspaper wrote: "It's very difficult to understand the stance of those in solidarity with the accused.

"Who deserves greater reason for solidarity - The children who are dying without having committed any offence, or those in white coats who distributed death and wiped the smile from the lips of hundreds of families?"

United States Assistant Secretary of State David Welch, who helped negotiate a full resumption of diplomatic relations between the United States and Libya, arrived in Tripoli last Friday and discussed "issues which hinder improvements in relations" with Libyan officials, the Libyan news agency Jana reported.

It gave no details. Welch has previously said a way should be found for the nurses to return home.

The case has hampered Tripoli's process of rapprochement with the West, which moved up a gear when it abandoned its pursuit of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons in 2003.

But analysts say freeing the defendants would put the focus on alleged negligence and poor hygiene in Libyan hospitals, which Western scientists say are the real culprits in the case.

Bizanti has said that in 1997 - a year before the nurses came to Libya - about 207 cases of HIV infection had been found in Benghazi that had not resulted in any legal proceedings. He has questioned why the authorities have not followed them up.

Thanks

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/lib...19499/catid_68

LIBYA SENTENCES INNOCENT BULGARIAN NURSES UNFAIRLY- BUSH
    16:33 Thu 21 Dec 2006

US president George W. Bush and his Bulgarian counterpart Georgi Purvanov discussed in a telephone conversation the verdicts of the five Bulgarian nurses accused of intentional HIV infection in Libya.

The nurses and a Palestinian medic were sentenced to death on December 19 2006. Their lawyers can appeal the sentences before Libya's Supreme Court in a 30-day period.

Purvanov said that Bulgarian institutions and society were disappointed and condemned Libya's court decision. He also said that he was sure the US would continue aiding Bulgaria in seeking fair end of the trial.

Bush said that he felt the same as all Bulgarians concerning the 'unfair verdict of innocent people.'

The US would keep on co-operating with Bulgaria in turning the outcome of the trial around.

Thanks

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/rel...19582/catid_68

ELATIVES TO VISIT BULGARIA'S NURSES IN LIBYA09:05 Fri 29 Dec 2006

Photo courtesy of Al Arab Online

Relatives of the five Bulgarian nurses sentenced to death for deliberate mass HIV infection in Libya would travel to Tripoli on January 9.
    The relatives would remain in Libya until January 17, Focus news agency reported. They hope to be given the right to visit the five nurses in Judeida prison every day.
    The nurses called for the visit, after they were sentenced to death for the second time. Court in Tripoli confirmed the sentences pronounced for the first time in May 2004 and overruled by Libya’s Supreme Court.

Meanwhile Deputy Foreign Minister Feim Chaushev said it was more important to find specific steps to change the outcome of the trial, rather than to discuss the independence of Libya’s court.

Chaushev said that Bulgaria was certain of the innocence of the five nurses. Scientific evidence also showed that the infection in Benghazi occurred before the Bulgarians started working there, he said.

It was difficult to predict when the nurses would return to Bulgaria, said Chaushev. The problem could not be solved without co-operation with Libya, he said.

The situation was going to change after January 1 2007, said Chaushev, as Bulgaria was going to rely more on the EU.

Thanks

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2006/78007.htm

Remarks With Bulgarian Foreign Minister Ivailo Kalfin Before Their Meeting

Secretary Condoleezza Rice
    Washington, DC
    December 19, 2006

SECRETARY RICE:
    Good morning. I would like to welcome my colleague Foreign Minister Kalfin of Bulgaria. We've met on a number of occasions. And of course the United States and Bulgaria enjoy a good and strong bilateral relationship based on our friendship, based on our common values. I know that we will have many issues to discuss, global issues around the world.

But I just want to say that I join with the Foreign Minister in expressing disappointment and concern about the verdict today -- or yesterday in Libya concerning the Bulgarian medics. We understand very much that there are children who have suffered and we are concerned for their suffering and that of their families. But we also are concerned that these medics will be allowed to go home at the earliest possible date. These are people who deserve to go home and we are very disappointed at the outcome of this verdict.

And I want you to know Minister that we will continue to work for their early return to Bulgaria.

FOREIGN MINISTER KALFIN: Thank you very much and first of all, thank you very much for this opportunity. I also think that the whole list of issues both on bilateral side and also in our cooperation in the international field and international missions is very important also for us. I want to thank you very much for the whole support the United States of America has provided so far for the fate of our nurses in Libya.

We are extremely disappointed and concerned with today's verdict of the court. We hope that in the very near future, the whole legal procedure is going to be finalized in Libya. There is all the reasons to believe that they are innocent and they shouldn't be related to this to tragedy and we share compassion also and we share sympathy in the tragedy of the children. So hopefully, we shall do our best to urge the Libyan authorities, including the judicial authorities, to go ahead and to complete the whole procedure to allow the nurses to come to Bulgaria. Once again, thank you very much. We really appreciate your support.

SECRETARY RICE: Thank you very much. Thank you.

Thanks

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/bul...19437/catid_68

BULGARIA TO LAUNCH LAWSUIT AGAINST LIBYAN OFFICERS- VELCHEV
    14:16 Wed 20 Dec 2006

Bulgaria had legal grounds to sue the Libyan officers who tortured into confessing guilt the Bulgarian nurses charged with intentional HIV infection in Libya, Prosecutor-General Boris Velchev said.

The court in Tripoli confirmed the previously issued death sentences of the five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian medic on December 19 2006. The six are accused of deliberate HIV infection of 426 children in the town of Benghazi.

The self-confessions feature among the main evidence of guilt. The nurses said that they were tortured.

Sofia City Prosecution would be in charge of the legal procedure, Velchev said as quoted by Focus news agency.

Bulgaria's National Investigative Service will work on the case.

Bulgaria 'lacked any reason to show consideration for anybody's feelings,' Velchev said.

Velchev said that he was uncertain whether evidence collected would be enough as prosecution was unable to question neither the nurses, nor the Libyan officers.

Libya put on trial the officers but found them innocent. Velchev said that he doubted the trial met international legal requirements.

Thanks

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5425.htm

In the late 1980s, Qadhafi began to pursue an anti-Islamic fundamentalist policy domestically, viewing fundamentalism as a potential rallying point for opponents of the regime. Qadhafi's security forces launched a pre-emptive strike at alleged coup plotters in the military and among the Warfallah tribe in October 1993. Widespread arrests and government reshufflings followed, accompanied by public "confessions" from regime opponents and allegations of torture and executions. The military, once Qadhafi’s strongest supporters, became a potential threat in the 1990s. In 1993, following a failed coup attempt that implicated senior military officers, Qadhafi began to purge the military periodically, eliminating potential rivals and inserting his own loyal followers in their place.

The Libyan court system consists of three levels: the courts of first instance; the courts of appeals; and the Supreme Court, which is the final appellate level. The GPC appoints justices to the Supreme Court. Special "revolutionary courts" and military courts operate outside the court system to try political offenses and crimes against the state.

"People’s courts," another example of extrajudicial authority, were abolished in January 2005. Libya’s justice system is nominally based on Sharia law.

Principal Government Officials
    De facto Head of State--Mu'ammar Abu Minyar al-Qadhafi ("the Brotherly Leader and Guide of the Revolution.")
    Secretary General of the General People’s Committee (Prime Minister)--Dr. Al-Baghdadi Ali al-Mahmudi
    Secretary of the General People’s Committee for Foreign Liaison and International Cooperation (Foreign Minister)--Abd al-Rahman Shalgham
    Charge d’Affaires, Libyan Embassy, Washington, DC--Ali Aujali

The Libyan Embassy is located at 2600 Virginia Avenue NW, Suite 705, Washington DC 20037 (tel. 202-944-9601, fax 202-944-9060).

I hope that you'll accept my invitation to do some calling around tomorrow to help put pressure on Libya to let these innocent people go. Please post any additional phone numbers and email addresses if you know of where else I can make my voice heard on behalf of the Bulgarian (Christian) nurses who are also under threat of being injected with the HIV virus by those who believe them to be guilty.

Contact Information

Department Web Address:
    http://www.state.gov/

Department Address
    U.S. Department of State
    2201 C Street Northwest
    Washington, DC 20520
    Phone: 202-647-4000
    TTYD Number: 800-877-8339

Col. Muammar Abu Minyar al-QADHAFI
    Leader of the Revolution
    Office of the Leader of the Revolution
    Tripoli
    Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
    Email: info@algathafi.org

You may also join me in signing a pre-written form for your senator, which I am posting here to use as a guide:

http://www.novabg.org/ourfiles/libya/letter_us.html

To automatically find your senator (by zipcode) and generate this letter with your name/address and your senator's name/address, sign the form
    (Your name and address)
    (Date)
    The Honorable Sen. ..............
    Fax: (...) .......
    Address: .....................................

Dear Senator:
    as a voter/prospective voter from your constituency, I write to ask your support to stop the death sentences that Libya adjudicated (for second time) upon five Bulgarian nurses on December 19, 2006.
    Please help in making the US Congress aware that these sentences are absolutely unacceptable, should be reversed and the medics should be freed.
    The world's most prominent researchers, journalists and scientist have proven over the last eight years that the HIV virus which infected more than 400 children - a very tragic event by itself - has been in Libya well before the arrival of the innocent Bulgarian medics there.
    The entire trial has been a farce, the treatment of the Bulgarian medical professionals as prisoners-a textbook example of human rights abuse, and their death sentences in the face of scant evidence and alleged torture-a shocking ending.
    Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Thanks

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...=&pagewanted=2

By CRAIG S. SMITH; MATTHEW BRUNWASSER CONTRIBUTED REPORTING FROM SOFIA, BULGARIA.
    Published: December 20, 2006
    Emmanuel Altit, a French lawyer in Paris who worked on the defense team, said: ''The question of torture by electricity, proof that the nurses had been beaten, sexually harassed, kept for six months without contact, the question of fabricated evidence, none of this was discussed at all. The court refused to hear our experts.''

The justice commissioner of the European Union, Franco Frattini, called on Libyan authorities to rethink their handling of the case, calling it ''an obstacle to cooperation with the E.U.'' Bulgaria will become a member of the union on Jan. 1.

Thanks

http://www.nysun.com/article/45462?page_no=2

American Reaction to Libyan Verdict Is Muted

By ELI LAKE
    Staff Reporter of the Sun
    December 20, 2006

Continued from page 1 of 2]

"We feel compassionate also, and wish all the sympathy with the tragedy of the children," Mr. Kalfin said. "So hopefully, we shall do our best to urge the Libyan authorities, including the judicial authorities, to go ahead and complete the whole procedure and to allow the nurses to come home to Bulgaria."

When a State Department spokesman, Sean McCormack, was asked yesterday whether the sentence against the medical workers was an impediment to America's relationship with Libya, he said it was a factor. But he went on to stress the positives in the relationship, as well."U.S.-Libyan relations have come a long way over the past several years, beginning with the point at which the Libyan government decided to make that fundamental decision to give up its weapons of mass destruction and also to come to terms with the families of Pam Am 103," he said, referring to the 1988 plane bombing that Libya orchestrated, which killed 270 people.

Mr. McCormack said the Libyan verdict would not affect the naming of an ambassador or a visit to Libya by Ms. Rice. "There's not one single variable that will lead to a positive decision on either of those," he said."I think there are a lot of different things that go into that calculation."

The trial against the six medical workers — Dr. Ashraf Ahmad Jum'a, Nasya Nenova, Kristiana Valceva, Valentina Siropulo, Valya Chervenyashka, and Snezana Dimitrova — has generated outrage among international rights groups.

The six were originally arrested in 1999, and Libya's superior court overturned a 2004 death sentence in the case under intense pressure in December 2005. But the court ordered a retrial whose verdict yesterday can still be appealed. Human Rights Watch interviewed the defendants in the case in May and found that earlier confessions of guilt had been extracted through sexual assault, electrocution, and beatings.

Yesterday, a Libyan opposition figure whose brother is a prisoner of conscience said the treatment of the medical workers was the equivalent of blackmail. "We condemn terrorism and hostage taking, and this is hostage diplomacy," Mohamed ElJahmi said.

"As long as we let him, he will use the Bulgarian nurses to get something. He is using them as hostages," Mr. ElJahmi said of Colonel Gadhafi. "If I am not mistaken, Bulgaria is part of the coalition on Iran. If we cannot stand by our friends against these terrorists, it undercuts our credibility with everyone."

Mr. ElJahmi submitted a petition to President Bush last month on behalf of his brother, Fathi ElJahmi, who was rearrested on March 26,2004, two weeks after Mr. Bush praised him as a liberal dissident. The petitioners included Senator Kyl, a Republican of Arizona, and Senator Kennedy, a Democrat of Massachusetts.

Thanks

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/355/24/2505
    From the New England Journal of Medicine:
    HIV Injustice in Libya — Scapegoating Foreign Medical Professionals
    Elisabeth Rosenthal, M.D.

On December 19, 2006, a Libyan court is scheduled to announce its verdict in the trial of five Bulgarian nurses and one Palestinian doctor who have languished in prison for 8 years on charges that they intentionally injected more than 400 Libyan children with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in 1998, while they were guest workers at a children's hospital. In 2004, the six were tried and sentenced to death. A new trial was ordered last year after international protests, but scientists and politicians are worried about the defendants' fate. The scientific evidence being used against them "is so irrational it's unbelievable," said Vittorio Colizzi, an infectious-disease specialist based at Tor Vergata University in Rome and one of a number of international scientists who have visited Libya to study the case and treat the children. But such scientists have not been called to testify in the current trial, which began in late August.

The HIV outbreak at Al-Fateh Children's Hospital in Benghazi, Libya, that peaked in 1998 has been studied in detail by international experts, who have pored over patient charts, tested hundreds of blood samples to characterize the virus, and observed patient care activities at the hospital. All have concluded that the outbreak was nosocomial, resulting from the reuse of contaminated medical equipment. The efforts to understand the outbreak include a site visit by the World Health Organization (WHO) conducted in December 1998 and January 1999 that resulted in a 1999 report, as well as an investigation by Colizzi and Luc Montagnier,1 a codiscoverer of HIV, who were hired by the Libyan government, were given broad access to the hospital and patients, and completed their report in March 2003.

But in the Libyan court, such evidence does not seem to matter. "Science has not been respected in this court; without the scientific evidence, there's no way there could be a fair trial," said Richard Roberts, a winner of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, who hand-delivered a letter of protest signed by more than 100 Nobel laureates to the Libyan Mission to the United Nations in New York in late October. "The Libyan government doesn't want to admit that their hospital had a problem with hygiene that spread HIV," said Roberts. "These people were the ideal scapegoats: they were foreigners. And the Libyans knew that the Bulgarian and Palestinian governments couldn't kick up much of a fuss."

View larger version (49K):
    [in this window]
    [in a new window]

The Palestinian Doctor and Five Bulgarian Nurses Being Retried on Charges of Injecting Libyan Children with HIV. From Mahmud Turkia/AFP/Getty Images.

Some of the evidence suggesting that the foreign workers are innocent comes in the form of two published molecular analyses of blood samples from the children, which demonstrated remarkable similarity among the strains of HIV-1 in all the children and revealed that the majority were coinfected with hepatitis C virus (HCV) but that the HCV strains varied.2,3 This diversity of strains suggests that the hospital has a history of poor infection control, since children become infected with HCV primarily during medical procedures. In addition, according to the report by Colizzi and Montagnier, genetic analysis of blood samples from children who were last admitted to the hospital in 1997 detected the presence of HIV RNA — the same unusual virus type found in the rest of the children — indicating that the virus was in the hospital before the guest workers arrived.

Moreover, in visits to the hospital, both the WHO team and Colizzi found that syringes and other types of medical equipment that could retain infected blood were being routinely reused. Infusions of albumin, an unscreened blood product, were commonly used if a child looked weak, and the bottle and tubing were often used for more than one child.

"No evidence has been found for a deliberated injection of HIV contaminated material (bioterrorism)," wrote Colizzi and Montagnier. "Epidemiological stratification, according to admission time, of the data on seropositivity and results of molecular analysis are strongly against this possibility."

In the first trial, a panel of judges set aside this scientific evidence in favor of a dramatic cloak-and-dagger scenario based on testimony by Libyans who said they had witnessed the nurses hoarding vials of HIV-infected blood; the testimony was bolstered by confessions that the nurses have since said were elicited by torture. A panel of Libyan doctors filed a counterreport,4 which, according to Montagnier, "was filled with basic scientific errors." For example, it concluded that the virus was "genetically altered" (and therefore intentionally created) because laboratory analysis had shown it to be a "recombinant" strain of HIV. But though the strain, CRF02-AG, had not been previously reported, it resembles and is thought to be a natural mutation of a strain that is common in central Africa.

Similarly, the Libyan doctors concluded that the infections must have been deliberate because the infection rate was "too high" for nosocomial transmission, which, they argued (baselessly), could account only for rates below 3 cases per 1000 patients. Because of unsanitary practices, infection rates in Benghazi were indeed extraordinarily high, Western experts agreed.

The HIV outbreak was, according to a 2001 article, "the largest documented outbreak of nosocomial transmission"2 of HIV. Although the exact figures vary, Libyan authorities now list more than 400 cases associated with the cluster, including 2 in nurses who worked at the hospital and at least 12 in mothers of the affected children.

View larger version (63K):
    [in this window]
    [in a new window]

Demonstrators outside Libya's Supreme Court Holding Photographs of the HIV-Infected Children. From Yousef Al-Ageli/AP.

Several dozen children have died, and their enraged families, who now form a potent political force, are demanding punishment. According to Bulgarian diplomats, last year the Libyan government suggested that Bulgaria might appease the families and obtain freedom for the accused under Islamic law by paying $10 million in "blood money" for each child. Bulgaria rejected the request, saying that acceptance would constitute an admission of guilt; the diplomats also noted that the sum would bankrupt the government.

Failing in that effort, the Libyan government this fall paid for the children to go to Europe's premier pediatric hospitals for treatment. Although most were receiving some form of antiretroviral therapy when they arrived in Europe, few had been adequately treated in Libya, said pediatric immunologist Guido Castelli-Gattinara, who recently examined dozens of the children at Bambino Gesù Hospital in Rome.

It seems that the nurses and doctor were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Last year in Sofia, Bulgaria, I spoke with the 28-year-old daughter of Valya Chervenyashka, one of the nurses, who described her mother's plight as "surreal." A nurse from the Bulgarian countryside, she had signed up to work at the hospital in Benghazi for $250 a month in order to pay her daughter's university fees. One year later, she was sitting in a Libyan prison, accused by the country's leader, Colonel Muammar al-Gaddafi, of working for Israeli intelligence.

Indeed, the 200-page verdict from the first trial reads, says Colizzi, "like a bad spy film," laying out a sinister official theory of how these nurses brought AIDS to Benghazi. One nurse, the court decision says, masterminded the plan to spread HIV, storing the virus at her home in 24 green-topped blood-culture bottles. She lured the Palestinian doctor to participate in her scheme with the promise of a Bulgarian wife and $500,000 in a Swiss bank account. According to court documents, witnesses said the project was "prepared by Israeli Intelligence for political reasons and to start commotion" in Libya. The nurse supposedly carried out the plot on behalf of two English-speaking intermediaries named John and Adel, who supplied the virus. As corroborating physical evidence, investigators could point only to five "plasma bottles" purportedly found in the nurse's home, two of which they said had been shown to contain HIV. Colizzi and Montagnier examined the Western blots used and called them ambiguous.

When they asked for the bottles so they could conduct their own analysis, the request was not granted.

Although the defense lawyers have repeatedly complained that key scientific evidence was being dismissed, the judge told them that such "technical" data represented just one sort of evidence. In the retrial, the court has "rejected requests for new examinations of the medical facts," according to a status report by the Bulgarian Foreign Ministry.

In view of the charts and laboratory tests he has seen, Colizzi believes that the epidemic probably began with an importation of a different sort: Libya has 1.5 million workers from sub-Saharan Africa, where some countries have HIV infection rates as high as 10 to 20%. Libyan government statistics on HIV and AIDS do not include these residents, who rely on Libya's hospitals.

Perhaps an HIV-positive worker went to Al-Fateh Hospital to deliver a baby, who was born infected with HIV. Poor infection-control practices in use at the hospital, noted in the 1999 WHO review, might have allowed the virus to spread to other patients.

Indeed, just months after the nurses and doctor were first jailed, in 1998, WHO compared the outbreak to documented nosocomial HIV outbreaks in Russian and Romanian hospitals. Now, 8 years and many scientific studies later, professionals who sought to provide needed health care to Libyan children may sadly become the scapegoats for another country that is loath to admit to a homegrown HIV problem — derived, in this case, from dismal hygiene practices that are only slowly being corrected. "The court is misusing science," Richard Roberts said in explaining his decision to mobilize his fellow laureates in protest. "So scientists need to speak out."

Source Information
    Dr. Rosenthal is a reporter for the International Herald Tribune.
    References

1. Montagnier L, Colizzi V. Statement from Prof. Luc Montagnier and Prof. Vittorio Colizzi on the Benghazi nosocomial infection. (Accessed November 22, 2006, at http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...montagnier.pdf.)
    2. Yerly S, Quadri R, Negro F, et al. Nosocomial outbreak of multiple bloodborne viral infections. J Infect Dis 2001;184:369-372. [CrossRef][ISI][Medline]
    3. Visco-Comandini U, Cappiello G, Liuzzi G, et al. Monophyletic HIV type 1 CRF02-AG in a nosocomial outbreak in Benghazi, Libya. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2002;18:727-732. [CrossRef][ISI][Medline]
    4. Final report by the National Experts Committee regarding the scientific expert opinion required in Case 607/2003-Felonies/Benghazi. (Accessed November 22, 2006, at http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...al_experts.pdf.)

Thanks

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061230/wl_nm/libya_hiv_dc

Libya's Gaddafi suggests spy link in HIV case

Fri Dec 29, 7:51 PM ET TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Libyan leader

Muammar Gaddafi on Friday defended a court's decision to sentence five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor to death for infecting more than 400 children with

HIV, but said mystery surrounded the case.

"It is unimportant that the medics are sentenced to death or not -- if they committed a crime and are sentenced to death, that is the court's decision," Gaddafi told a gathering of officials, religious leaders and reporters in Tripoli.

"The important thing is why the medical team injected the children with
    AIDS. Who ordered you -- was it Libyan intelligence, American intelligence, Israeli intelligence or Bulgarian intelligence? This is what we have to find out."

The medics were sentenced last week for deliberately infecting the children with the virus that causes AIDS at a Benghazi hospital in the late 1990s. More than 50 of the children have since died.

Condemnation poured in from Western governments and rights groups, with Bulgaria, the EU which it joins next month and Amnesty International among the swiftest critics. Washington said it was disappointed.

Some Western scientists say negligence and poor hospital hygiene are the real culprits and the six are scapegoats, but in Libya the verdict came as a welcome act of defiance of the West.

On Thursday, Libya's Foreign Ministry said western criticism of the death sentences showed a lack of respect for Libya.

It defended the ruling and said outside pressure to overturn the sentences created a dangerous precedent in which Libyans are considered "sub-human" and treated differently to Bulgarians.

Gaddafi contrasted the international outcry over the HIV case with that of Libyan Abdel Basset Ali Mohamed al-Megrahi, who was found guilty in 2001 of the Pan Am plane bombing over Scotland and handed a mandatory life prison sentence.

Tripoli has agreed to pay $2.7 billion to the families of the crash victims and taken responsibility for the bombing.

"Organisations like the Arab League, the non-aligned movement and the Islamic Conference said al-Megrahi was a political prisoner and international observers said elements of foreign intelligence were present at the trial," Gaddafi said. "Nobody asked for his release."

Thanks

http://shr.aaas.org/aaashran/alert.php?a_id=334

AAAS Human Rights Action Network
    Date: 19 December 2006
    Case Number:li0403_med
    Victims:Valya Georgieva Chervenyashka; Snezhanka Ivanova Dimitrova; Ashraf Ahmad Juma; Nasya Stojcheva Nenova; Valentina Manolova Siropulo; Kristiana Malinova Valcheva
    Subject:Five Bulgarian Nurses and a Palestinian Doctor Sentenced to Death in Libya
    Issues:Protection of medical and religious personnel; Right to a fair and impartial trial; Threat of long-term imprisonment or capital punishment; Torture
    Type of alert: Update
    Related alerts: 24 May 2004; 7 November 2005; 10 January 2006; 4 October 2006

FACTS OF THE CASE:

A Libyan court has sentenced five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor to death by firing squad for intentionally infecting over 400 children with H.I.V. This is the second time that a Libyan court has sentenced the 6 health workers to death: an earlier death sentence was overturned by the Libyan Supreme Court in 2005. The health workers have been held in Libya since 1999.

In February of 1998 Bulgarian nurses and doctors began work at the Al Fateh Children’s Hospital in Benghazi, the country’s second-largest city. By August 1998, children at the hospital had begun testing positive for H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS. An official investigation by the Libyan government concluded that the infections had been concentrated in the wards where the Bulgarian nurses had been assigned. Dozens of Bulgarian medical workers were arrested, and a videotaped search of one nurse’s apartment found vials of H.I.V. infected blood.

According to a Libyan intelligence report submitted to the court, several nurses confessed to intentionally infecting their patients. However, two of the five nurses said that they were tortured into confessing and their defense lawyers have long argued that the children had been infected with HIV before the nurses began working at the hospital.

This November 2006, British medical journal The Lancet argued that the retrial of the nurses was a gross miscarriage of justice with no legal or medical foundation. The report cited independent scientific evidence that the infections were caused by bad hygiene at the Benghazi hospital, and reports from human rights watchdogs such as Amnesty International that confessions had been extracted under torture.

Col. Qaddafi has also publicly charged that the health care workers acted on the orders of the Central Intelligence Agency and Israel’s intelligence agency, Mossad.

The medical workers were originally sentenced to death in May 2004.

However, after energetic protests by international human rights groups, Bulgaria, the United States and the EU, Libya’s Supreme Court overturned the death sentences and ordered a new trial. In addition, the EU also agreed to establish an international fund to cover medical care and other costs of assisting the H.I.V.-infected children. Following the recent verdict and sentence, Emmanuel Altit, a French lawyer in Paris who worked on the defense team, was quoted in the New York Times to say that: “The question of torture by electricity, proof that the nurses had been beaten, sexually harassed, kept for six months without contact, the question of fabricated evidence — none of this was discussed at all. The court refused to hear our experts.”

RELEVANT HUMAN RIGHTS STANDARDS

International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
    • Article 14(1): All persons shall be equal before the courts and tribunals. In the determination of any criminal charge against him [or her], or of his [or her] rights and obligations in a suit at law, everyone shall be entitled to a fair and public hearing by a competent, independent and impartial tribunal established by law.
    • Article 7: No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
    Universal Declaration of Human Rights
    • Article 05: No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
    RECOMMENDED ACTION:

Please send faxes, letters, or emails:

• Expressing your extreme concern about the death sentences handed down to five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor for allegedly infecting children with the HIV virus in a Libyan hospital;
    • Expressing your extreme concern with reports that the medical workers were subject to torture while in detention.

Compose a letter of appeal to:

APPEAL AND INQUIRY MESSAGES SHOULD BE SENT TO:
    • His Excellency Mu'ammar al-Gaddafi
      Leader of the Revolution
      Office of the Leader of the Revolution
      Tripoli
      Great Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
      LIBYA
      Salutation: Your Excellency
    • His Excellency Muhammad Misrati
      Secretary of the People's Committee for Justice and General Security
      Secretariat of the People's Committee for Justice and General Security
      Tripoli
      Libya
      Salutation: Your Excellency

Dr. Muhammad 'Abduallah al-Harari
      Secretary for Legal Affairs and Human Rights of the General Peoples' Congress
      P.O. Box 84662
      Tripoli
      LIBYA
      Salutation: Dr. Abduallah al-Harari

Mr. Ali Suleiman Aujali
      Minister
      Libyan Liaison Office
      2600 Virginia AVE NW
      Suite 705
      Washington, DC 20037
      Fax: 202-944-9606
      Salutation: Dear Mr. Minister

Secretary of State
      Department of State
      2201 C Street , NW
      Washington DC 20520
      email via webform:
      http://contact-us.state.gov/cgi-bin/...a=&p_sp=&p_li=
      Fax: (202) 647-4000 (TEL)
      secretary@state.gov
      Salutation: Dear Madame Secretary
    Please send copies of your appeals, and any responses you may receive, or direct any questions you may have to Josh Robbins, AAAS Science and Human Rights Program, 1200 New York Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20005; tel. 202-326-6797; shrp@aaas.org; or fax 202-289-4950.

The keys to effective appeals are to be courteous and respectful, accurate and precise, impartial in approach, and as specific as possible regarding the alleged violation and the international human rights standards and instruments that apply to the situation. Reference to your scientific organization and professional affiliation is always helpful.

To ensure that appeals are current and credible, please do not continue to write appeals on this case after 90 days from the date of the posting unless an update has been issued.
    Last edited by Aplomb; December 31st, 2006 at 17:25.

Thanks

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...on+libya&hl=en

Here's an 80 minute documentary by Mickey Grant.

http://www.creativehat.com/deadly_injections.htm

AIDS is a global tragedy, striking Africa especially hard. Rampant reuse of disposable syringes is responsible for as many as seven million cases of AIDS in Africa alone. Substandard Health care continues in Africa while AIDS spirals out of control. Public health officials are reluctant to discuss this problem, perhaps in fear that Africans will avoid critical medical care, such as inoculations for malaria and other virulent diseases. The thrust of AIDS prevention campaigns is on safe sex, and healthcare risks are critically overlooked.

In Libya, five Bulgarian nurses and one Palestinian doctor were arrested in 1999 and convicted of infecting over four hundred Libyan children with HIV in a Benghazi hospital. Libyan prosecution, operating at the discretion of infamous dictator Moammar Kaddafi, has maintained at trial that the nurses conspired with the American CIA and the Israeli Mossad to maliciously infect the children.

In this hard-hitting film, Mickey Grant travels to Kenya, Bangkok, Sofia, Libya, Rome and London in an attempt to discover the hidden truths. He follows the trail of syringes from hospital to garbage dump, and then back into Africa's health care system. He interviews leaders of the World Health Organization, Amnesty International, government officials, the Kaddafi opposition, Bulgarian journalists, medical scientists, and health care workers. We also hear from two imprisoned Bulgarian nurses, the son of Moammar Kaddafi, and families of the infected children.

Could these healthcare workers have committed this horrific crime? Or, are they scapegoats to divert attention from institutional shortcomings? Is Moammar Kaddafi ultimately responsible for this tragedy? Is syringe reuse common in Libya and the rest of Africa? If syringe reuse is spreading HIV, why is it allowed to continue? Bottom line, millions more will continue to die unless the world health care community addresses these issues.

Credits:
    Produced, Directed and Photographed by Mickey Grant
    Co-Produced by Jim Curtis and Cindy Grant
    Edited by Jim Curtis and Mickey Grant
    Music by Callen Clarke and Jamal Mohamed
    Written by Cindy Grant and Mickey Grant
    Story Editor - Ramona Dea Lucero
    Art Director - Nick Curtis

Thanks

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n102665

Gaddafi Says No Money Donated for HIV-infected Children
    4 January 2007 | 12:40 | FOCUS News Agency
    Tripoli. Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi referred to the possibility of releasing the Bulgarian nurses and the Palestinian doctor as a “nonsense of no importance”, BNR reported. Speaking to religious leaders, foreign diplomats and representatives of Libyan people’s committees, Gaddafi stressed that the international charity fund established to raise funds for the HIV-infected Libyan children was empty.
    “Not a single state or a firm have donated money for the children”, the Libyan leader stated. He added that the Libyan convicted of the Lockerbie bombing was innocent saying the medics’ release was preconditioned by his release.

Thanks

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n102665&chain=1

Foreign Ministry: Commitment of Libya AIDS Case with Lockerby Disaster is Unacceptable and Groundless
    4 January 2007 | 17:04 | FOCUS News Agency
    Sofia. “The commitment of the Libya AIDS Case against the Bulgarian medics and the Lockerby Disaster is totally unacceptable and groundless”, the spokesman of the Bulgarian Foreign Ministry Dimitar Tsanchev stated for FOCUS Agency.
    “It’s incomprehensible to take out accusation again that have already been ruled out as inconsistent by the Libyan justice. All statements that leave the impression that the outcome of the case against the medics is predetermined or is put in dependence of other clauses arouse bewilderment on the background of the statements of the Libyan side that the decision of the first instance court in Libya from 19th December 2006 was not final and that the court procedure on the case was not still ended.
    The engagement of the international community with the tragedy of the HIV infected children and its efforts for establishment of conditions for their treatment should be evaluated in accordance with its merit”, the statement claims.

Thanks

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/.../edgarrett.php

America shouldn't befriend Libya just yet

Laurie Garrett International Herald Tribune

Published: June 11, 2006

NEW YORK In 1999, babies and small children that had been in the Fateh Children's Hospital in Benghazi, Libya, began to develop terrible symptoms. Some died. Experts figured out that the youngsters, including newborns, were suffering from AIDS.

Eventually 426 HIV-infected children who had been in Fateh were tracked down. At least 53 of them have subsequently died of AIDS.

Given Libya is a Muslim nation, ruled by Colonel Muammar el-Qaddafi, who believes himself to be leader of an especially moral state, the outbreak of a sexually transmissible disease among children was politically abhorrent. Someone, preferably a non- Muslim, had to take the blame. Libyan authorities accused five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian physician of a hideous crime: Working in collusion with the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, the Libyans claimed, these health providers deliberately injected Libyan babies and children with the AIDS virus.

The doctor and nurses were imprisoned, tortured and sentenced to death by firing squad. Seven years on, still imprisoned, they have undergone a trial, which was appealed to the Libyan Supreme Court. Six months ago the court ordered a retrial, which is set to commence on June 13.

Libya and the United States recently decided to normalize relations, 16 years after the Qaddafi government backed the terrorist assault on PanAm Flight 103, which blew up over Lockerbie, Scotland, taking the lives of all 259 passengers and crew, and 11 Lockerbie residents on the ground.

Incredibly, the very week that Tripoli and Washington announced their warming of relations, Libya charged two more Bulgarians with crimes. Though the pair has long since returned to Bulgaria, they will be tried in absentia for alcohol distillation and public consumption, a crime that can carry a maximum sentence of death in Libya, if the alcohol was smuggled into the country.

One of the newly charged Bulgarians, Smilian Tachev, an engineer, told Bulgarian journalists last month that he was originally arrested in Benghazi at the same time as the nurses and doctor, and during 174 days of captivity witnessed gruesome torture of the health care workers.

"The nurses were beaten with many-stranded wire, for a long time and painfully," Tachev said. "Then they were made to run, crawl, stand on one leg with their hands stretched up. When they collapsed totally, they were dragged somewhere and brought back in a helpless state."

Tachev witnessed the use of probes to force unidentified objects down the women's throats, electrocution, and dogs loosed on the screaming victims.

The U.S. administration should make the immediate release of these health care workers a mandatory component of the Libyan normalization process. Pressure must be placed on Qaddafi's government to release the nurses and doctor before their June 13 trial date.

This must be done for obvious humanitarian reasons, but also as a matter of revoking a dangerous precedent. It is hard enough to create viable incentives to draw American and European doctors and nurses toward service in Africa.

Adding the risk of torture and execution amid fallacious charges of deliberately spreading disease only worsens an already dire situation: The World Health Organization estimates the world is now short of four million health care workers, with Africa suffering a deficit of one million.

Libya claimed that the CIA fomented the scheme to infect the children, and may have supplied the viruses. That accusation should never have been left unchallenged in a formal sense. Secretaries of State Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice both issued condemnations, but much more should have been done.

The United States should have insisted that the case be adjudicated via the Biological Weapons Convention, and that molecular epidemiology techniques be applied to trace the origins of the HIV strains found in the blood of infected children.
    This process would have proved what Libyan physicians, in numerous anonymous postings on the Internet, have insisted for some time: The strain of HIV that infected the children in Benghazi was in the Libyan blood supply before the Bulgarian nurses arrived, and severe shortages of sterile needles and medical equipment in the Fateh Hospital ensured its spread throughout pediatric wards.

A tragedy? Yes. A crime hatched by the CIA and the Bulgarian government? Certainly not.

Laurie Garrett, senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations, is the author of "Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health."

Last edited by Aplomb; January 4th, 2007 at 17:54. Reason: doubletap removed

Thanks

Thanks for following this one Aplomb. Damned good job.

I don't know why anyone would think we would be friendly to Libya anyway... what a crock of crap.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

You're very welcome, Rick. What is distressing is that I hadn't even known about this horrific happening until late last month; and consequently I thought I should bring the truth of this story out as it certainly hasn't been publicized enough to cause people to act on behalf of the Christians who have been enduring a terrible injustice pretty much without most of us knowing anything about it.
    I don't know why anyone would think we would be friendly to Libya anyway... what a crock of crap.
    Laurie Garrett has actually been awarded all of the 3Ps, the Peabody, the Polk 2x, and the Pulitzer. That article was published June 11th of 2006, following media news of America dropping it from the list of nations that sponsor terrorism. This is worth a read: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...us-libya_x.htm

By Barbara Slavin, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — The Bush administration said Monday that it was establishing full diplomatic relations with Libya and removing it from a list of nations that sponsor terrorism. The action ends 27 years of mostly hostile relations between the countries.

Libya reversed course on terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, earning the right to join the ranks of "the mainstream of the international community," Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said in a statement.

VIDEO: U.S., Libya to renew ties

Libya, led by Moammar Gadhafi, was once a leading U.S. adversary, characterized by the U.S. government as the ultimate rogue state. In 1986, President Reagan ordered the bombing of military targets in Libya.

The Bush administration hopes Libya will serve as a model for other nations to follow. "We urge the leadership of Iran and North Korea to make similar strategic decisions that would benefit their citizens," Rice said.

The moves angered some human rights advocates and relatives of those who died in the bombing of Pan Am 103, brought down by a Libyan bomb over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988.

"The moral compass of this administration is so off-kilter," said Kathleen Flynn of Montville Township, N.J. Her 21-year-old son, John Patrick Flynn, was on board the plane.

Flynn said Libya had not complied with United Nations Security Council demands to provide full information about the bombing, which killed 270 people, including 189 Americans. Libya has compensated victims' families.

Mohammad al-Jahmi, whose brother, Fathi, is Libya's most prominent political prisoner, also condemned the decision. President Bush, he said, "has betrayed the Libyan people."

State Department terrorism chief Henry Crumpton said Libya had not only stopped supporting terrorist groups but had worked with the United States to track terrorists, including some bound for Iraq. Libyan cooperation "is strong and getting stronger," he said.

The reconciliation caps a long effort by Libya to get back into U.S. good graces. In 1999, the Clinton administration began a series of meetings with Libyan officials that continued under Bush.

Posted 5/15/2006 10:43 AM ET

Another brilliant Garrett essay:

http://medicine.plosjournals.org/per...l.pmed.0030514

Six Imprisoned Health-Care Workers in Libya Are Pawns in a Far Larger Strategic Game

The repercussions are enormous

Laurie Garrett

Funding: The author received no specific funding for this article.
    Competing Interests: The author has declared that no competing interests exist.
    Citation: Garrett L (2006) Six Imprisoned Health-Care Workers in Libya Are Pawns in a Far Larger Strategic Game. PLoS Med 3(11): e514 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pmed.0030514
    Published: November 21, 2006
    Copyright: © 2006 Laurie Garrett. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
    Laurie Garrett is Senior Fellow for Global Health, Council on Foreign Relations, New York, New York, United States of America. E-mail: kschneider@cfr.org

The scientific community, AIDS activists, and the Libyan government would do well to recognize that the political and diplomatic import of the case of the Benghazi Six involves a great deal more than the lives of five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian physician. At stake are some of the most profound political issues of our time: terrorism, nuclear proliferation, the freedom of movement of health-care workers and scientists, and the Biological Weapons Convention. Although human rights advocates rightly decry the physical torture these individuals have been subjected to, and their death sentences, it is critical to recognize that the unfortunate Benghazi Six—Bulgarian nurses Snezhana Dimitrova, Nasya Nenova, Valentina Siropulo, Valya Chervenyashka, and Kristiyana Valtcheva, and Palestinian physician Ahmed Ashraf Al Hadjudi—are pawns in a far larger game.
    The Geopolitical Background

In 2003 Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, the longtime leader of Libya, initiated discussions through American and European diplomatic channels signaling interest in placing Libya within the larger world community. Isolated under the labels of “rogue state” and “supporter of terrorism,” Libya was constrained by United Nations sanctions that, among other things, limited that country’s ability to pump and sell its vast oil reserves or to purchase the vital electronics and equipment needed to modernize its oil fields.

Breaking those constraints meant renouncing all ties to terrorism and admitting responsibility for the 1988 explosion of Pan Am Flight 103, the jet that crashed into Lockerbie after a bomb placed in the jet’s cargo hold by Libyan operatives exploded, claiming the lives of 270 people. Gaddafi, after initially denying any Libyan responsibility for the international crime, in 1999 handed over one of his intelligence officers for trial in Scotland, where he remains in prison today.

Pained by the sanctions, in 2003 Libya formally acknowledged to the United Nations Security Council responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing, and began negotiations with representatives of the families of the Flight 103 victims.

Libya ultimately paid the families US$2.16 billion in 2005; another US$540 million in promised payment was withdrawn by Libya because the United States Bush Administration maintained the country on its terrorism watch list.

At stake are some of the most profound political issues of our time.

In addition, the Gaddafi government has quietly admitted to working with Pakistani nuclear weapons scientist Dr. Abdul Qadeer (“A. Q.”) Khan. Libya has not only abandoned its nuclear weapons dreams, but has cooperated in international investigations of A. Q. Khan’s dangerous spread of nuclear weapons–related knowledge and equipment to a laundry list of states.

Libya is now on a path to joining the world as a global citizen. But the process is far from complete. On May 16, 2006 US Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice announced that the US and Libya were initiating normalization of relations. But America has not yet positioned an Ambassador in Tripoli, as normalization is a multistaged process that could drag out for many years if either of the two countries is dissatisfied with the proceedings. Many players are observing the process closely, including the European Union and the UN Security Council. If any major player believes Libya is reneging on agreements or acting in bad faith, the normalization process could be imperiled.

The stakes are very high for Libya, as the nation is desperate to play a dominant role in the global petroleum market, to modernize, and to become a technological leader in the Middle East. At a time when the Gulf States are building large universities modeled after MIT and Harvard, Libya has a per capita gross national income equivalent to US$5,500, is unwilling to provide adult literacy data to the UN, and has a population dominated by children—30% of Libyans are under 14 years of age [1].

It is in Libya’s urgent interests to acquire an image of openness to scientific exchange and expertise. But Libya must demonstrate that, first, it will not use such scientific openness to acquire the capacity to produce weapons of mass destruction, and second, that it will respect the human rights of foreign professionals who work on Libyan soil.
    The Benghazi Six

Imprisoned since 1999, the five Bulgarian nurses and Palestinian physicians “confessed” to the crime of working with the CIA to deliberately infect 426 Libyan children with HIV. Their confessions were extracted after extensive torture, some of which was eye-witnessed by a Bulgarian engineer who was jailed simultaneously for 174 days on unrelated charges. On May 16, 2006 the engineer, Smilian Tachev, held a press conference in Sofia, Bulgaria, revealing the conditions to which the Benghazi Six were subjected:

“The nurses were beaten with many-stranded wire, for a long time and painfully,” Tachev said. “Then they were made to run, crawl, stand on one leg with their hands stretched up. When they collapsed totally, they were dragged somewhere and brought back in a helpless state.” Tachev added that he witnessed the use of probes to force unidentified objects down the women’s throats, electrocution, and dogs loosed on the screaming victims [2].

For seven years the nurses and doctor have been imprisoned, facing a sequence of Libyan judicial proceedings, and in 2004 were sentenced to death by firing squad. By all accounts their lives have taken this hideous turn for arbitrary reasons. When it was revealed in 1998 that 426 children that had been hospitalized in a facility in which the Benghazi Six worked were now HIV positive, the Gaddafi government rounded up every foreign-born physician, nurse, and technician employed in the facility.

Though local medical personnel decried the unsanitary conditions of the hospital, and blamed reused syringes for the spread of HIV among pediatric patients, the Libyan government charged these six with a crime and released the other foreigners [3]. In early 2006 Gaddafi added another name to the list of alleged criminals—Switzerland’s prominent AIDS researcher Luc Perrin, who had examined some of the infected children and studied their blood samples in his Geneva University Hospital laboratory, years after the Benghazi Six were arrested [4].

Emotions have reached fever pitch among the families of the HIV-infected children. The families have held demonstrations calling for the health-care workers’ executions, burning American and Bulgarian flags. And they have insisted that Bulgaria and the US must make payments to the children’ families that are equal to the amounts Libya paid the Lockerbie victims’ survivors. Bulgaria and the US refuse.
    What is At Stake for the Health and Scientific Communities

Meanwhile, the stakes are high for scientists and health-care workers, generally. The world is shy 4.3 million health-care workers, with the greatest deficits being felt in poor countries hard-hit by HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria [5]. If there is any hope of conquering the AIDS pandemic, physicians, nurses, technicians, and scientists must be free to work in countries other than their home of citizenship. In recent years, however, we have witnessed numerous incidents in which governments or religious leaders targeted foreign health professionals as part of larger political schemes: Nigerian imams, for example, claimed American-made polio vaccines contained HIV, spawning a global resurgence of polio [6]. Freedom for the Benghazi Six would move the world towards restoring principles of free movement for legitimate health-care workers and scientists.
    Indeed, the HIV-positive children of Libya deserve access to the same quality of medical care as their pediatric counterparts in Europe and North America enjoy. The best way for them to obtain years of quality life is through guarantees that doctors, nurses, scientists, and pharmacists, expert in HIV/AIDS treatment, have safe access to their country and its hospitals.

Libya is fortunate that Bulgaria, then a young post-communist state, did not insist in 1999 that charges be filed with the Biological Weapons Convention. Bulgaria should have done so. After all, Gaddafi claimed that Bulgaria and the US CIA colluded in a fiendish plot to deliberately release a microorganism into the Libyan population. Had the claim been processed as a formal charge, weapons inspectors would have had formal access to blood samples, hospital records, and other vital information that would undoubtedly have cleared the Benghazi Six. Moreover, a signal would have been sent to the world regarding claims of bioterrorism and the burden of their proof [7]. In the event, Libya’s failure to invoke the Biological Weapons Convention to fully investigate the criminal allegations undermines the credibility of Gaddafi’s charges and the convictions of these health-care workers.

It is critical that the scientific community recognize what is at stake in this case: It is your freedom of movement and work; it is the strength and validity of the Biological Weapons Convention; it is Libya’s laudable willingness to remove itself from the list of nations that support terrorism and seek nuclear weapons capability. And it is freedom for six unjustly treated colleagues.
    References

1. The World Bank (2006) Development and the next generation World Development Report 2007 Washington (D. C.): The World Bank. 298 p.
    2. Garrett L (2006 June 11) America shouldn’t befriend Libya just yet. International Herald Tribune. Available: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/11/opinion/edgarrett.php. Accessed 26 October 2006.
    3. Pancevski B (2006) Retrial ordered for health workers imprisoned in Libya. Lancet 367: 292. Find this article online
    4. Swiss Radio International (2006 January 26) Gaddafi fingers Swiss doctor. Available: http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/swissinfo.html?siteSect=107&sid=6405909&cKey=1138173633000. Accessed 26 October 2006.
    5. Joint Learning Initiative (2004) Human resources for health: Overcoming the crisis Cambridge (MA): Global Equity Initiative. Available: http://www.globalhealthtrust.org/report/Human_Resources_for_Health.pdf. Accessed 26 October 2006.
    6. Rosenstein S, Garrett L (2006) Polio’s return: A WHO-done-it? The American Interest 1: 19–27.
    7. Garrett L (2005) HIV and national security: Where are the links? New York: Council on Foreign Relations. Available: http://www.cfr.org/publication/8256/hiv_and_national_security.html. Accessed 26 October 2006.

Thread Information