Thread: Feeding North Korea

Thanks

Default Feeding North Korea

A supersize 'solution' to a giant problem [Giant rabbits to feed North Korea ... photo]
    The Times (UK) ^ | January 12, 2007 | David Crossland in Berlin

A German pensioner who won a prize and worldwide fame for breeding his country’s largest rabbit — Robert, a 10.5kg (23lb) bruiser the size of a dog — has been offered an unusual opportunity to exploit his talents overseas.

Karl Szmolinsky has been given a contract by North Korea to supply giant rabbits to help to boost meat production in the reclusive Communist country, which is suffering severe food shortages. The only problem is that such huge rabbits consume vast quantities of food themselves as they grow.

Mr Szmolinsky, from Eberswalde, in the east of Germany, was contacted by the North Korean Embassy in Berlin in October after Robert attracted press coverage. “They want to boost meat production. They’ve arranged for me to go to Pyongyang in April to advise them on setting up a breeding farm,” Mr Szmolinsky, who is 68 next month, told The Times.

He breeds German gray giants, which are among the world’s biggest rabbits, and sells his annual crop of 60 to 80 to other breeders in Germany for between € 200 (£130) and € 250. He said that an attaché at the embassy came to his home and asked to see his rabbits. The diplomat was so impressed that he placed an order for eight females and four males, which were shipped to North Korea a few weeks later at a price of € 80 each.

(Excerpt) Read more at timesonline.co.uk ...
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Feeding North Korea

here is the actual article. With picture:

A supersize 'solution' to a giant problem

David Crossland in Berlin
    A German pensioner who won a prize and worldwide fame for breeding his country’s largest rabbit — Robert, a 10.5kg (23lb) bruiser the size of a dog — has been offered an unusual opportunity to exploit his talents overseas. Karl Szmolinsky has been given a contract by North Korea to supply giant rabbits to help to boost meat production in the reclusive Communist country, which is suffering severe food shortages. The only problem is that such huge rabbits consume vast quantities of food themselves as they grow.

Mr Szmolinsky, from Eberswalde, in the east of Germany, was contacted by the North Korean Embassy in Berlin in October after Robert attracted press coverage. “They want to boost meat production. They’ve arranged for me to go to Pyongyang in April to advise them on setting up a breeding farm,” Mr Szmolinsky, who is 68 next month, told The Times.

He breeds German gray giants, which are among the world’s biggest rabbits, and sells his annual crop of 60 to 80 to other breeders in Germany for between € 200 (£130) and € 250. He said that an attaché at the embassy came to his home and asked to see his rabbits. The diplomat was so impressed that he placed an order for eight females and four males, which were shipped to North Korea a few weeks later at a price of € 80 each.

Robert was among the first consignment. “I don’t know how many more they want and whether I’ll be getting any more orders,” Mr Szmolinsky said.

He has also received a request for rabbits from a Chinese buyer. He said he believed that the monster bunny programme — one rabbit yields 7kg (15lb) of meat — was aimed at feeding the North Korean people rather than the “Dear Leader”, Kim Jong Il, who is said to favour lobster.

The embassy in Berlin could not be reached for comment, but the state-run news agency reported in September that people were being encouraged to breed rabbits for food.

Mr Szmolinsky’s 12 rabbits, which are awaiting his arrival at a petting zoo in Pyongyang, could produce 60 babies in a year. They are unlikely to alleviate the chronic malnutrition endemic in the country of 23 million that drew condemnation when it announced a nuclear test last year.
    The rabbits are also voracious eaters, which is why Mr Szmolinsky said that he would not be boosting his own annual production because feeding them would be too expensive.
    Korean spicy rabbit and potato
    Ingredients
    2.25kg chopped rabbit
    2 chopped potatoes
    2 chopped carrots
    1 chopped onion
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    120ml water
    120ml soy sauce
    2 tablespns white sugar
    3 tablespns hot pepper paste
    Method
    Mix the rabbit, potatoes, carrots, onion, sugar, and garlic over medium heat.
    Pour in water and soy sauce, and stir in sugar and hot pepper paste.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, simmer for 45 minutes

Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

You can fill your belly every meal with those rabbits and die of starvation. It's not just meat or vegetables that we humans have to have in our diet. When learning wilderness survival, one of the first things you're taught is a condition called "rabbit starvation" It is because rabbits have little to no fat which the human body requires to function and think properly. Fish and even cats and dogs provide better nutrients for overall health. Rabbits are the wrong direction for this country to go.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

Thanks

ok, im sorry but pardon the obvious question but....why do we give two $#its about whether North Koreans eat or not? Isnt that an enemy country? you think if roles were reversed North Korea would send us aid? My vote is WE let THEM starve and spend our time worrying about things that matter, like North Korean Nukes, and like the AQ Khan Network, and how al qaeda might acquire devices from either, or if they have already. i couldnt care less whether the North is starving or not. There are far more important things to worry about.

ev

Thanks

"fill your belly every meal with those rabbits and die of starvation"

BB's right- rabbits have huge protein content, 0 fat, and rural folk who rely on them can succumb to this "protein starvation". Eating rabbits, one must supplement with fat and fiber. They multiply fast. A group of four can yield 100 in little over a year.

This Brit must give them growth hormones. I wouldn't eat one. Field rabbits eat grass and leaves. They do and should consume their own fecal matter, which provides them with a special antibiotic or anticuerpo immune resistance.

I have 3 caged rabbits, and 2 a la natural. The latter are a bit lazy- no dens- they use the firewood to hide and they cheat by eating turkey feed. Rabbit raisers say the caged method is best for breeding, but I wanted to try both methods.

Obviously- free form is cheaper.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thread Information