Thread: 2007 BB Close fly-by

Thanks

Default 2007 BB Close fly-by

Asteroid 2007 BB close fly-by
    NASA/JPL ^ | 1-18-07 | JPL

Asteroid 2007 BB to pass between 0.0026 au or 0.0025 au. The distance to the moon is 0.00256 au (238,855 miles).

Earth is okay from any impact. Just for your information.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: 2007 BB Close fly-by

NASA & Asteroid & Near Earth Asteroid admin | 18 Jan 2007 07:31 am
    Heads Up - Two Near Earth Asteroids On Close Appraoch

There has been two near earth asteroids discovered just yesterday that will be on their closest approach over the next few days.

The first asteroid, 2007 BB will come as close as 1 LD to the Earth. 1 LD is the distance between the Earth and the Moon. 2007 BB has an Estimated Diameter of 7.8m-18 m. The closest approach for 2007 BB appears to be Jan 19/20 (see capture below from jpl)

Link: 2007 BB

The 2nd NEA, 2007 BD was discovered by the Catalina Sky Survey. 2007 BD was confirmed yesterday by Andrushivka, Sabino Canyon, and Farpoint observatories in the Ukraine, Arizona, and Kansas, as well as by the CSS itself. JPL reports this object will fly past Earth at .8 lunar distance early today. It should stay in view for most NEO observers until around January 26th and awhile longer for larger telescopes.

Link: 2007 BD

NASA does not believe that either of these Asteroids presents any danger of striking the Earth or the Moon.

Source Data: NASA jpl
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Rick... What's the overall chances of any given year of being hit by a NEO?
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

Thanks

Rick... What's the overall chances of any given year of being hit by a NEO?
    Astronomical....

Not to be flippant of course, but for any given YEAR, they are in the high millions if I remember rightly. I'm not going to calculate them, but they are high enough that you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning, or even a bus.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

That's always good to know. However it doesn't mean it won't happen. Just that it's improbable. At least for something sizable enough to do major damage. We are hit daily by hundreds of small ones.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

Thread Information