Thread: Conservative Candidates for the 2008 Presidential Election

Thanks

Default Conservative Candidates for the 2008 Presidential Election

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_5025204

Colorado Republican congressman Tom Tancredo's decision to form an exploratory committee in a possible run for the presidency came on the same day that Illinois junior Sen. Barack Obama, a Democrat, took the same step.
    It is clear from the beginning why Tancredo is a possible candidate. He wants to advance some campaign issues, principally involving illegal immigration, that he sincerely believes would be overlooked otherwise. What Obama stands for, what has motivated his decision and fueled his ambition, is largely unknown. There is no question that he has the ability to stir a crowd and generate enthusiasm, but it is not clear where he stands on the important issues of the time, except for a distinctly anti-war position.
    Tancredo's new website (teamtancredo.org) merely features a brief statement from the candidate explaining that the decision to form a committee signals an "arduous and undeniably uphill battle."
    What Tancredo doesn't say is that his decision might also have a couple of very beneficial short-term effects, despite how he fares in what will eventually be a very crowded presidential field.
    The fact that Tancredo will be making the political rounds in coming weeks and months will keep the immigration issue very much alive. Other candidates, who might well wish to duck discussions of border security, amnesty and lax enforcement, won't easily be able to dismiss the topic.
    The conventional wisdom since the November election has been that Americans voted for a "moderate" position on immigration and are willing now to accept a program that would grant amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants. Tancredo's presence on the national stage will ensure that this view is challenged - as it should be.
    To the degree that Tancredo can make the immigration issue a topic for frequent discussion, he could also affect Democratic plans for new immigration legislation.
    The Colorado congressman has never been afraid to challenge the Democrats or those in his own party, including President Bush, who, more often than not, sides with liberal Democrats like Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy on the immigration issue.
    In his announcement Tuesday, Tancredo made it clear he doesn't intend to be a one-trick pony. Obviously, however, his stand on immigration is what got him here and it is that stand that will help determine how far he can go politically.
    His critics (and he has plenty both in Colorado and elsewhere) have tried for years to picture him as a kind of nut, obsessed with one topic to the exclusion of all others. That hasn't worked, primarily because he has demonstrated the ability to thoughtfully articulate his views.
    Elections are, by definition, intended to settle things, but last year's balloting may be an exception to the rule. While it is true that there has been a power shift in Congress, the long-term effect of that shift is by no means clear. Iraq remains a central issue that is likely to split both parties in ways that can only be guessed. The large number of people in both major political parties interested in a presidential nomination, and the stark contrast between their policy positions, virtually assures political unrest from now through Election Day 2008.
    All of the issues that were supposed to be decided last year are - wonder of wonders - very much in play. They include tax policy, health care, major entitlements like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, immigration, homeland security and all of the foreign policy matters that surround the subject of the war on terror. It's not going to be a good year for pundits or fortune tellers. The unexpected is virtually assured. President Tancredo would fit right in.

Several potential candidates have begun the same process recently. Including Hillary.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Tancredo for President?

Brian, I'm planning to start a thread dedicated to all the Conservative candidates that are starting to emerge, including Tom Tancredo.

If you don't mind, once I get that thread started, I'd like to move this over there...

Thanks

Default Re: Tancredo for President?

Feel free. Though it wouldn't hurt to make another thread for Dem Candidates. We can easily get a feel for what we'll face this coming election.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Conservative Candidates for the 2008 Presidential Election

Well, rather than starting up a whole new thread, I decided to just go ahead and change the title of this one.

Now, onto the topic…

It looks like there are currently (in my opinion) 3 strong Conservatives officially running for President in 2008:Each candidate has their own "Pros" and "Cons". Here's what I see:

Tom Tancredo
    Pros:
    • Pretty good name recognition
    • Strong conservative
    • Leading the way on anti-illegal immigration

Cons:
    • Though he is a strong Conservative, many only consider him a "one trick pony" (even among Republicans!)
    • Can be smeared as a hypocrite about the debunked claim of his employment of illegal aliens
    • Could be portrayed as flip-flopping given his pledge to only serve 3 terms in Congress yet now on his 4th

Duncan Hunter
    Pros:
    • Strong conservative
    • An "A+" rating from the NRA and "A" rating from the GOA on the Second Amendment
    • From California so he appeals to the "mushy brained moderates"
    • Vietnam veteran
    • Has "executive experience" in his role as head of the Armed Services Committee

Cons:
    • Not the best name recognition
    • Possible controversy based on discrepancy in the tax assessment of his home and his association with Duke Cunningham

Ron Paul
    Pros:
    • Considered a Constitutionalist
    • Good on gun rights having authored HR 1703 the Second Amendment Restoration Act bill
    • Supports the US withdrawing from the UN

Cons:
    • Not the best name recognition
    • His strict Constitutionalism could be a fault at a time when we are already so far gone from the original Founders' intentions and need gradual rollbacks to that mindset as opposed to leaps (i.e. he didn't support OIF because it wasn't voted on by Congress, and he has opposed bills as "unconstitutional" which have sought to counter Leftist stupidity)
    • Is an isolationist to a fault
    • Could be seen as "pro-drugs" based on his affiliation with the Libertarian Party and marijuana/hemp related bills he is affiliated with

Ultimately, I'd LOVE to see a Hunter/Tancredo (or vice versa) '08 ticket. I think with two people like that they would be nearly unstoppable!

Personally, it is a virtual tie in who I'll be backing. Though I have loudly voiced support for Tom Tancredo that was before Duncan Hunter threw his hat into the ring. Right now I see Duncan Hunter as being a very strong Conservative but having the added benefit of being the most electable (doesn't have the "baggage" Tancredo does). Should Duncan Hunter, for some reason, drop out of the race I will be supporting Tom Tancredo.

Thanks

Duncan Hunter To Discuss New Era Of Military Competition

Click the above picture for video.

Presidential candidate Duncan Hunter will hold a press conference in Washington Wednesday to discuss China's recent anti-satellite missile test.

According to a report, the Chinese military destroyed an aging weather satellite that was orbiting more than 500 miles in space. Hunter said that China's test "represents the commencement of a new era of military competition in space."

The San Diego congressman also said this country's war-fighting capability relies heavily on U.S. space assets, and we must take steps to "ensure our forces cannot be targeted through an adversarial space strike."

Presidential candidate Duncan Hunter will hold a press conference in Washington Wednesday to discuss China's recent anti-satellite missile test.

According to a report, the Chinese military destroyed an aging weather satellite that was orbiting more than 500 miles in space. Hunter said that China's test "represents the commencement of a new era of military competition in space."

The San Diego congressman also said this country's war-fighting capability relies heavily on U.S. space assets, and we must take steps to "ensure our forces cannot be targeted through an adversarial space strike."

Wow!

Someone in Washington willing to take on a member of the TAA head on! So far, I have heard nothing meaningful from any of our representatives in Washington about the Chinese test. Including the White House when Tony Snow was asked about it at a press conference shortly after it happened!

With every news article on Duncan Hunter, I am more and more impressed with what I see, and more confident that he is indeed the man to get behind for '08!

Thanks

Tancredo Rules Out 3rd-Party Candidacy
    Rep. Tom Tancredo has tapped an official from the now-defunct Virginia Freedom Party to be treasurer of his presidential exploratory committee, but that does not mean he's pondering a third-party candidacy, a spokesman said Monday.

"From the beginning, we've had no intention to run as a third-party candidate, ever, and we'll never consider that because he's a Republican, period," said T.Q. Houlton, spokesman for the newly formed Tancredo for a Secure America Exploratory Committee.

Tancredo, R-Littleton, filed paperwork creating the committee last week so he can raise money and decide whether to follow through with a long-shot run for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008.

In numerous past statements, Tancredo has said he is and always will be a Republican. Still, the FEC filings list his treasurer as Kenneth C. McAlpin, who had been treasurer of the Virginia Freedom Party, a state Reform Party spin-off, until it disbanded in 2004.

McAlpin, also known as "K.C.," is prominent in the immigration-reform movement that has made Tancredo famous. He has served as a deputy director for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, and is executive director of the group ProEnglish, which advocates making English the official language of the U.S.

McAlpin is not the only Reform Party veteran on "Team Tancredo." Shelly Uscinski, who will lead Tancredo's exploratory bid in the early primary state of New Hampshire, helped lead Pat Buchanan's Reform Party presidential bid in the state in 2000.

Tancredo could not be reached for comment Monday.

In the past, Tancredo has brushed aside suggestions that he might want to bolt from the Republican Party because of his frequent clashes with President Bush and other GOP members he accuses of backing a more lax immigration policy.

At an immigration forum in May of 2005, Rep. Chris Cannon, R-Utah, suggested that Tancredo might want to follow in the footsteps of Buchanan.

"I think he ought to consider his views and decide whether they're consistent with the Republican Party," Cannon said at the time.

Tancredo dismissed that idea, saying Cannon was out of step with the GOP mainstream for supporting a White House- backed guest-worker program.

"I believe the Republican Party is with me on the issue," Tancredo said.

Since then, nothing has changed, and if Tancredo's exploratory committee turns into an official candidacy, it would only be as a Republican, Houlton said.

Thanks

House Republicans Call For Greater Military Effort In Space (Duncan Hunter)
    Republican leaders on the House Armed Services Committee on Wednesday launched a push for more spending on classified space programs, stating that China's recent anti-satellite missile test ushered in a "new era of military competition."

House Armed Services ranking member Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., told reporters that the military needs a "new dimension" in its space capabilities after China successfully destroyed a low-orbit weather satellite in a test earlier this month. "That should sharpen our focus and redouble our efforts," Hunter said.

Neither Hunter nor House Armed Services Strategic Forces Subcommittee ranking member Terry Everett, R-Ala., would discuss specific programs that could receive increased investments. But the United States must be prepared to pre-empt threats, shield U.S. military assets in space from adversaries and quickly replace destroyed systems, Hunter said.

Hunter also emphasized that the United States should lean on European allies to halt sales to China of any technologies that could be used to attack U.S. space technologies.

With less than a week before the White House sends its fiscal 2008 budget request to Capitol Hill, Hunter and Everett appeared eager to get out front on an issue they believe deserves more attention from both the administration and their congressional colleagues.

They wrote a letter Tuesday to President Bush, contending that space systems are "integral to the daily execution of virtually every military campaign, operations and exercise involving U.S. forces today." They called on the administration to review Defense Department programs that protect U.S. space assets, and they encouraged the development of new systems.

"The dependency of American warfighting capability, and the economy, on space assets compels our nation to take the necessary steps to ensure our forces cannot be targeted through an adversarial space strike," they wrote.

Lawmakers, including Hunter and Everett, have long been skeptical of many of the Pentagon's unclassified space programs and have routinely cut funding for programs, such as the Air Force's Space Radar and Transformation Communications Satellite that are over budget, behind schedule or both.

But Everett acknowledged today that Air Force Under Secretary Ron Sega, who oversees many of the military's space systems, is making strides getting programs on track. Still, Everett left open the possibility of some cuts to space systems this year, but added that he will push for increases in other areas under the panel's jurisdiction. He would not comment on specifics until after the White House releases its budget next week.

Thread Information