Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duncan Hunter for President 2008

Banned
    Thanks

Default Duncan Hunter for President 2008

For myself, it's now "official" - I want Duncan Hunter to be the next President of the United States of America.

The South Carolina straw poll ended in a three way tie as far as I am concerned.

John McCain 164 votes
    Rudy Giuliani 162 votes
    Duncan Hunter 158

I assess straw polls meaningfulness based on percentages.
    McCain, Giuliani and Hunter completed this poll within a 1 percentile margin of each other. I counted 725 votes cast, meaning 7.25 votes is 1 percetile of the total. Add 7 votes (1 percent) to Hunter's tally and he "wins" by one vote over McCain. Or vice versa - take seven votes (1 percent) from McCain and he loses to Hunter by one vote.

Finally! An honest to goodness Ronald Reagan Conservative with a good chance to win the White House back! Outstanding.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Duncan Hunter for President 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Osborne View Post
    Finally! An honest to goodness Ronald Reagan Conservative with a good chance to win the White House back! Outstanding.
    That's what I said!

Welcome aboard Sean!

By the way, if you call their office listed on his site, they will hook you up with bumper stickers, flyers, yard signs, buttons, etc.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    That's what I said!

Welcome aboard Sean!

By the way, if you call their office listed on his site, they will hook you up with bumper stickers, flyers, yard signs, buttons, etc.
    Yes, I want a bumper sticker!!! I want all that stuff!!!

dialing...

Thanks

I never get excited about politicians, but what I read was impressive. To get elected he'll have to
    1. Stay alive.
    2. Be savvy on TV without makeup
    3. Campaign no thrills and frills- thrifty-bone bare and make a humble point about not buying elections.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Banned
    Thanks

samizdat,

The main point is that a true "Ronald Reagan Conservative" is not an atypical politican.

Duncan Hunter was elected along with Ronald Reagan in the 1980 election. He has steadfastly remained true-blue to those core conservative principles ever since. He is, more than anyone else, a living Reagan legacy - and he more than anyone else needs to be in the man in the White House after this next election.

Thanks

He looks good.

I don't forsee a typical election.

At the end of the day, he may win a lot of votes for being the candidate who spent least- didn't try to buy the election.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

You're Right. Mr Hunter seems to be the real American type. Just the type that a nation, a way of life under siege by a host of enemies will need. As long as America has persons like Mr Hunter , theirs always going to be an America a place of Freedom loving peoples..

Thanks

Duncan Hunter: U.S. Multinationals Have Become Chinese Corporations
    Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), a 2008 candidate for President of the United States, sounds like an anti-free trade populist these days. But he's got reason. As former chairman of the House Armed Services Committee he experienced first-hand the difficulties the military is facing when it comes to arming its forces with American-made weaponry. The United States secured the freedom of the world three times during the last century -- winning World Wars I and II, and prevailing in the Cold War -- because of its "Arsenal of Democracy," he says. The U.S. industrial base was able to turn out an Air Force bomber once every hour. "They could have built the entire bomber force of B-2 aircraft, which numbers 21, in one day and had three hours left over," he says.

But that Arsenal of Democracy is in trouble, and that trouble is being caused largely by the shift of production overseas, particularly to China, and mostly by the large multinational companies that have controlled the trade agenda for the past 20 years. Those multinationals are now, in fact, "Chinese companies," doing the bidding of the Communist Chinese government in setting U.S. policy, which runs counter to the interest of U.S. workers, taxpayers and U.S.-based manufacturers, says Hunter.

There are two "real experiences" that have recently shaken him. The first was when his committee was seeking solutions to the deadly surge of improvised explosive devices in Iraq, and addressed the urgent need to improve armor on the American fleet of tactical vehicles. Hunter sent a team from his committee to find manufacturers that could produce high-grade armored steel as quickly as possible. The team found only one company left in the United States able to respond.

The second involved the well publicized Joint Direct Attack Munition in which a Swiss company refused to provide the crystals needed for the guidance system of the country's most important "smart" bomb. When the committee sought out U.S. sources of the crystal, it found only one company left making this essential technology.

"We're down to one-sies and two-sies on critical aspects of the defense industrial base," says Hunter. "This is a security problem! I have two reasons for wanting to maintain a strong industrial base in this country. Number one, good high-paying jobs for our people and good profits for our businesses so they can continue to make capital investment and, secondly, national security. It could get to the point where it is primarily a national security problem."

Manufacturing & Technology News editor Richard McCormack sat down with Hunter in his Capitol Hill office recently to probe beneath the surface of his sound bites associated with his Presidential campaign related to national and economic security issues. Here is what he has to say:

In the late 1980s, Ronald Reagan said the United States had to ensure both its economic security and national security and that the high-tech industrial base was worth preserving.

Hunter: Ronald Reagan also said there is no such thing as free trade if one side is cheating. What we've done is we have acquiesced to cheating. That was manifested in the split in the National Association of Manufacturers. The big guys said, essentially, we don't mind the one-way street because we're on the other end of the street. We are Chinese corporations for practical purposes. That is the essence of what their conversation was to the domestic manufacturers, and hence the split.

Q: As President, is there anything you could do about this acquiescence to cheating?

Hunter:
    Right now, China rebates their taxes to their manufacturers. They give a 17-percent subsidy to their products and a 17-percent penalty to our products. Before you even compare labor, component prices and commodity prices, they have a 34-percent advantage before the game even starts. Then they devalue their currency by 40 percent to make sure the American manufacturer doesn't win. That is cheating. We need to have a government that says that is cheating. [Fed Chairman Ben] Bernanke had that in so many words written in his speech that he was going to give in China [in December], but it was changed before he gave it to the Chinese leadership. That is not acceptable.

Another point about Ronald Reagan is that when Ronald Reagan saw a bad arms control deal, he changed it. He didn't acquiesce to it. Presidents have a unique role in putting together security deals and trade deals with other countries. There is no independent businessman who can go make a separate trade deal with a country. A trade deal is a business deal between nations that is essentially put together by the executive.

I am going to put together good trade deals and I'm going to leave bad trade deals. It is in our interest to have deals that give American manufactures that are innovative, smart and well financed a chance to win and you can't do that when the other guy has 74 points on the board before the opening kickoff. This is like having a football team in the NFL where all the other teams have voted that they all get points on the scoreboard before the game starts, except the United States. When we lose a competition, they say: "What's the matter? Can't you play football?"

Q: With the reauthorization of Fast Track coming up will these issues play themselves out, and will you have a role in that debate?

Hunter: I've always had a role in opposing what I consider to be bad deals. NAFTA and CAFTA were bad deals, so I opposed them. When we passed NAFTA, we had a $3-billion trade surplus with Mexico that a lot of people said we were going to build on. I predicted that we would go to a trade loss. We promptly went to a $15-billion loss the next year. These are bad deals. The most business-like thing in the world is to make good deals. That is what business is, but our trade negotiators are bad businessmen. They've been finessed into not enforcing the rules, and they have not put together good deals because the multinational corporations have an interest in a one-way street.

Q: There are so many fundamental questions this issue raises about who the federal government represents. Does it represent the interests of U.S. multinationals or does it represent U.S. workers and domestic manufacturers?

Hunter:
    For practical purposes, many of the multinational corporations have become Chinese corporations. They like the fact that they are subsidized by their new government, which is China, and that they're able to push American products that are made in the United States off the shelves. They have developed an influence in this country that has not been offset by the Arsenal of Democracy, which is the industry base that is left in this country. I intend to energize the industrial base that is left in this country.

Q: A lot of people look at the 2006 mid-term elections and say that the deciding issue was fair trade and that most of the freshmen Democratic members of the House and six new Senators were all against free trade as it is currently practiced. Was free trade the deciding issue in the loss of Republican control of Congress?

Hunter:
    No, the deciding factor for my Republican colleagues who lost was the tens of millions of dollars spent against them. In the last district I was in in California, $10 million was spent against the Republican incumbent. I saw tons of money going after the Republicans who lost. Trade was not a major issue. But I would say this: certainly while trade may not have been articulated as a major issue in this election, the economic conditions in which good high-paying manufacturing jobs have been lost set the stage for what I would call a suppressed Republican vote.

The classic Republican position that is welded strongly into the middle class of Americans who have traditionally supported the Republican Party is to support our industrial base and support high-paying manufacturing jobs in this country. That is directly contrary to what I consider to be an artificial position that has been taken in Washington, D.C., which is the support of bad trade deals. These bad trade deals are promoted by folks who don't represent the true American interest.

Q: We have followed your Buy American legislation over the past five or six years, only to watch much of it flounder in the Senate.

Hunter: I offered my first bill in 1982, it was HR-5050, the Two-Way Street bill. It put the same taxes on foreign vehicles coming into our country that foreigners put on our vehicles going into their country. It was very simple. It was a mirror.

Q: The Buy-American legislation that you sponsored a few years ago pretty much died at the hands of Sen. John McCain, who is your rival for the presidency. Can you use this to your advantage?

Hunter: We have had significant victories in our position and we have been able to blunt massive attacks on the Buy-American provision coming from the Senate. It's been a battle and we'll let the other candidates explain their position to the American people. I'm going to explain mine.

But there is an equity argument. When the American taxpayer pays for a defense item, for practical purposes it defends the Free World. Over the years, we have passed a lot of things over the objection of the Senate. I passed a preference for American machine tools and prime contracts that is now the law of the United States. In terms of repairing American ships that support our warfighter we passed what we call Repair America. Those people are getting paid by the taxpayers of the United States and they should repair their ships in the United States. We passed that. We maintained the line with respect to the Berry Amendment and we put special teeth into the Berry Amendment to enforce it. We prevented the Senate from allowing the dissipation of the titanium industry and the specialty metals industry. The United States carries the defense burden of the Free World. If we are going to carry that burden then Americans should be able to make the defense platforms that defend the Free World.

Q: Why do you run into headwinds in Congress when these issues are raised?

Hunter: My message resonates with the American people. We'll see who agrees with whom.

Q: Do you think your message will gain traction in the electorate?

Hunter: They understand there is not an advantage to your factory closing where you were making $22 an hour and moving it to China. It's not a good enough answer when the guy stands up and says in the end you're going to go to heaven because Adam Smith wore a powdered wig in 1772 and said that this would all work to your advantage in the end.

Q: That may not be a good answer, but it sure is promoted by hundreds of prominent economists from conservative think tanks, and, frankly, Republicans who have given voice to this message and are viewed as being representatives of the big multinational interests. You run counter to that.

Hunter: That's why I'm running! We're going to reconnect Main Street and middle-class America with the Republican Party. We're going to reach out and get Reagan Democrats.

But let me just remind you, it was the Clinton administration that passed NAFTA. This idea of bad trade deals has been accepted by the elites across the political spectrum, and it's wrong and it's bad business practice. It doesn't make any sense to give away the biggest market in the world and get nothing in return. The problem with the idea that you're going to receive in consumer benefits what you lose in income is blunted by the facts because in America the consumers are also the workers.

Q: Do you see this as being a Democratic message?

Hunter: No, this is a Republican issue. I see this as a major issue in the Presidential campaign. There are two Republicans on Mount Rushmore. Both of them were against unfettered free trade.

When the other guy has 74 points on the scoreboard before the game, it takes a lot of tax cuts to make up for that.

The problem is under the GATT law that we've agreed to, every one of our trading competitors -- every country in the world -- has a right to rebate their taxes to their exporters except us. We agreed to that. I've seen the Senate memos when we were putting this together saying this is going to be terrible for us. We're agreeing that everybody gets points on the scoreboard except us, and we signed that.

When the smoke clears and you realize that you're the only team in the NFL that doesn't get points on the scoreboard before the game starts, you say: "What happened?"

And they say: "Well, we took a vote."

And you say: "Well, can we have some points?"

"No."

"Why not? Why can't we deduct our taxes?"

"You've got the wrong kind of tax system. We voted that you have the wrong kind of tax system."

"When can we get points?"

"We'll get back with you. We'll be meeting next year, and then after the Super Bowl, we'll meet again"

Q: Why is there such opposition to your [Hunter-Ryan] currency manipulation bill?

Hunter: China is doing what [Fed Chairman] Ben Bernanke himself says they're doing, which is subsidizing their exports and companies through currency devaluation. That is cheating. That dis-serves all of the innovative effort, all of the streamlining and all of the capital investment that has been made in American products. There is no individual American business that can single-handedly compete against the Treasury of Communist China. The Republican position is not to appease communists. That is what we do when we allow them to continue that operation. It's a real disservice for Bernanke not have called this an illegal subsidy, which is exactly what he called it before he changed his speech.

Q: Have you talked to him about that?

Hunter: No.

Q: Do you think there is any chance for a value-added tax to be considered by Congress?

Hunter: There may be. But distinguishing between our taxes and the taxes the rest of the world have for purposes of allowing them to give tax rebates for their exporters and not allowing us to do the same was totally a matter of smart negotiators on their part and dumb negotiators on our part. The idea that we have to change our entire tax system to try to fit into an unfair provision is not reasonable. We need to do what Ronald Reagan did when he saw a bad arms control deal. We make a new one. Right now, we have a trade deal that dis-serves our country and we need a new one.

Q: As president, what would you do about these trade deals?

Hunter: I would junk CAFTA and NAFTA. I would junk this deal with China. But let's do one thing at a time. Number one, allow our businesses that are being damaged by the illegal subsidy, which is known as their currency devaluation, to go after the cheating. Bring the Chinese to the table and make them understand that we're not going to allow them to have access to the American market unless they do it under the rules. To some degree, it's going to be dependent on them as to whether they want to do it the easy way or the hard way. They're not going to be allowed to have the 74 points on the scoreboard that they currently have before the kickoff. Either we're both going to start at 74 points or we'll both start at zero, but we're not going to start with a 74-percent disparity.

Q: By taking such a hard line, do you risk making the Chinese a military enemy?

Hunter: That was the same question put to Ronald Reagan with respect to arms control deals. If you insist on making new deals and not going with the old ones, do you risk upsetting people? The answer is yes. But on the other hand, they have been more practical in these business deals than our negotiators have been. They would never allow us to have a 74-point advantage over them. I think they have little respect for us. The Chinese perceive that we have been fractured in our trade policy -- caused by our multinationals, which now have a substantial investment in China. They are employing the multinationals to neutralize American trade policy and have them do what they did in the National Association of Manufacturers, which is to have them stand up and clearly represent interests other than those of domestic manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks

Though this is from 1998, it details how seriously Duncan Hunter takes the Chinese threat!

Long Beach Won't Give Up On COSCO - Congress Kills Bid By Chinese For Naval Base
    Although Congress has killed a deal to lease the abandoned Long Beach Naval Station to a Chinese shipping company, local officials are still fighting to make other accommodations to keep the China Ocean Shipping Co. from leaving the harbor.

Port of Long Beach officials were officially stripped of their ability to lease the former Navy land to COSCO late last week, when congressional conferees submitted to Congress the 1998-1999 defense authorization bill. The legislation's final language effectively prohibits the Chinese company from leasing any part of the Long Beach Naval Station after it is converted into a cargo terminal. Officials said there is virtually no chance of amending the bill.

The legislation does not leave a provision for the president to waive the ban. It was President Clinton himself, who, after meeting with Chinese officials, first proposed basing the Chinese company, a front for the People's Liberation Army and Beijing's intelligence arm, at the former naval yard.

John W. Hancock, president of the Board of Harbor Commissioners, said the port will begin talks as soon as possible with three or four major shipping lines that are interested in acquiring more terminal space. The companies, which Hancock declined to identify, already hold leases in the Port of Long Beach. Port officials said they would try to find a new site for COSCO if other shipping lines in the harbor move onto naval station grounds. COSCO, which is one of the largest shipping lines in the world, has operated in the port since 1981.

"Congress has thrown two years of effort out the window due to a ridiculous political climate," Hancock said. "Our plans are to go forward posthaste with development of the base. There is time to get new tenants."

Leading the effort to block COSCO from the facility were Sen. James M. Inhofe, R-OK, and Reps. Duncan Hunter and Randy "Duke" Cunningham, both San Diego-area Republicans. They and their conservative colleagues asserted that Chinese Communists could use the former base for military purposes and intelligence-gathering, allegations first raised in WorldNetDaily more than 18 months ago. Port officials and COSCO supporters disputed that contention citing two recent Department of Defense reports show that the shipping line does not present a national security threat to the United States.

"COSCO has a long and very troubling record of shipping both weapons and components of mass destruction around the world," said Hunter. "For all practical purposes, COSCO is the merchant marine of the Chinese military. As a result, they carry the cargo of the Chinese military upon command and without question. We do not need to increase their access to American soil."

The pro-COSCO forces lost ground in the debate because of controversies surrounding the export of U.S. satellites to China and alleged Chinese political contributions to President Clinton and the Democratic Party -- ties first made, again, in WorldNetDaily.

"Our concern is that at some point in the future, if relations were to turn sour because of our mutually opposed interests, that COSCO, being an arm of the government and the military, would be in a position to do damage to us through espionage, smuggling and otherwise carrying out the agenda of the Chinese military," said Harald Stavenas, press secretary to Hunter.

Last Friday, local politicians and harbor officials criticized Congress for jeopardizing trade with China and punishing the port for no reason. Already, the Chinese have indicated that they may reject proposals to build terminals for two U.S.-based shipping lines.

"We are dismayed that members of Congress could push through legislation this destructive and ignore the facts of the situation," said Yvonne Avila, the communications director for the Port of Long Beach.

The Port of Long Beach fears that its longtime tenant could simply move across the harbor to a new berth in the Port of Los Angeles. Officials there have presented COSCO with a proposal to lease space at Pier 400, which is being built. They last met three weeks ago.

New talks were planned for next month, but those have been canceled, said Barbara Yamamoto, public information director for the Port of Los Angeles. COSCO foes in Congress have threatened to expand the ban to the Port of Los Angeles, which receives federal funds for dredging operations.

"There is nothing definite at this point," Yamamoto said. "The political concerns have to be considered seriously. Who knows? Congress might say COSCO can't call on facilities in our port."

Despite their defeat, Long Beach officials said they will push ahead with plans to convert the 400-acre base into a new cargo terminal and ship repair facility. Hazardous waste is already being removed from the facility and preparations are underway to demolish structures on the site. The Navy, which now leases the base to the port, is scheduled to transfer title to the property by 2000.

Thanks

To Duncan Hunter, China Is Cause For Alarm
    Republican presidential candidate Duncan Hunter's insistent warnings about China's military buildup have stamped him as the Paul Revere of the fast-developing 2008 campaign.

China is picking America's pocket and using its ill-gotten gains to acquire ships, planes and missiles in a challenge to U.S. national interests, Hunter said. By cheating at trade, China also has been able to pirate many U.S. industries and high-paying manufacturing jobs, said Hunter, a 14-term congressman.

Some experts say the Alpine Republican's relentless focus on Beijing's trade tactics is overwrought and ignores important economic benefits to the United States, including hundreds of billions of dollars' worth of Chinese loans that help the United States finance its deficit.

Campaigning for the GOP presidential nomination over the past three months, Hunter has espoused a view on China that is far more confrontational and alarmist than the one taken by the administration of President Bush.

For example, Hunter has accused China of illegal currency manipulation that he said is seriously damaging the U.S. economy. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke is guilty of “appeasement” for failing to challenge China's currency policy, Hunter said.

But it's Hunter who has it backward, several economists say. One of them is Nicholas Lardy, an expert on the Chinese economy at the Peter G. Peterson Institute for International Economics.

Lardy and others argue that China's success last year at banking a surplus of more than $230 billion in its two-way trade in goods with the United States has enabled the Chinese to bankroll the U.S. Treasury to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars to finance the budget deficit. As a side effect, China's loans have kept U.S. taxes and interest rates lower than they otherwise might have been, some economists argue.

“We are financing a government deficit and a savings shortfall by borrowing from abroad, including to a significant degree from the Chinese,” Lardy said. “So it is probably more accurate to say that China's trade surplus is financing our military expenditures than it is their military expenditures.”

Barry Bosworth of the Brookings Institution also disputes Hunter's assertion that China is financing a military buildup out of its trade surplus.

“They are accumulating foreign currencies which they hold in dollars. But they don't spend the surplus,” Bosworth said. “If they used it to finance their defense buildup, they would have spent it. Then they wouldn't have a trade surplus anymore.”

Lardy cites statistics indicating that China spends only about $2 billion a year on military imports, mainly from Russia. Some military experts are dubious about Hunter's alarm over the nature of the emerging Chinese military threat. They say Beijing's strategy, at least for now, is aimed at raising the stakes for the United States in any future decision to intervene in an armed conflict over Taiwan, the breakaway island-state that China is intent on recovering.

“Whether or not this would be a broader threat on the shape of where it could turn into a new Cold War, man, we are nowhere near that yet,” said Robert Work, vice president for strategic studies at the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments.

Those who agree with Hunter, including many with impressive economic credentials, counter that China is not simply being a good neighbor when it recycles its trade surplus by buying U.S. government debt. Instead, they say, it is part of a strategy of devaluing its own currency to make American products more expensive in global markets compared with Chinese goods.

Part of this strategy involves maintaining a fixed exchange rate – or “peg” – between the Chinese renminbi and the U.S. dollar.

“They can't maintain a fixed peg unless they recycle dollars back into the U.S. That's why they do that,” said Peter Navarro, a business professor at the University of California Irvine and author of “The Coming China Wars.”

“They do fund our budget deficit – by doing so, they are helping essentially to increase our military budget – (but) I think an armed and dangerous Chinese military capable of projecting power throughout the world is far more dangerous than the U.S. military in terms of destabilization.”

Navarro argues that the real significance of China's trade policies lies in its success in fueling the country's overall economic growth, which provides the wherewithal to finance a significant increase in military spending.

Some studies say China over the past decade has boosted its defense budget from 1 percent of its gross domestic product to 1.5 percent. The comparable figure for the United States is 4 percent.

“The economic weapon is translating into a military weapon because the faster China grows economically, the more resources it has to devote to the military budget,” Navarro said. “The key point is that it is devoting a disproportionate share of its new growth to fueling its military expansion.”

Dan Ikenson, associate director of the Center for Trade Policy Studies at the libertarian Cato Institute, said Hunter's attacks on China overlook that nation's advances in becoming a member of the global trading system.

Ikenson added that China's recent entry into the World Trade Organization offers a forum for reconciling complaints about its objectionable trading practices. He said the United States needs to be vigilant, even though it has benefited along with China from the trading relationship.

“We need to keep our eye on them, and like Ronald Reagan said, 'Trust, but verify,' ” Ikenson said. “I think that is what we need to do with China and not treat them like an enemy – just keep an eye on what they're doing and prosper along with them.”

Thanks

China Does Not Deserve Normal Trade Relations Status
    Duncan Hunter
    08/02/2001

In March of 1941, Rep. Carl Anderson from Minnesota warned America about the danger of arming potential adversaries. He said then that the chances of war with Japan were 50-50, and that if our Navy were to meet the Japanese, we would encounter a fleet which was built with American steel and fueled with American petroleum. A few months later at Pearl Harbor, 21 American ships were sunk, 300 planes were destroyed, and 5,000 Americans were killed and wounded by a Japanese fleet that was indeed built with American steel and fueled with American petroleum.

Why is it that we still have not learned from this valuable lesson? Today, China is using its $80 billion trade surplus with the United States to build a formidable military. Tragically, the weapons China procures are targeted toward the very Americans who supplied them through their trade dollars.

With some of the $350 billion that they have amassed in trade surpluses over the last eight years, China has purchased two Sovrenny class missile destroyers from the Russians. These destroyers are designed for one purpose . . . to kill American aircraft carriers. Ironically, China did not have the finances to purchase these destroyers until money from U.S. trade made it possible.

Our nation's trade surplus with China has allowed its Communist leaders to purchase the SU-27 fighter, a high performance aircraft capable of effective warfare against America's top-line fighters. The Chinese bought kilo class submarines, AWACS aircraft with air-to-air refueling capability and sophisticated communications equipment, all with U.S. trade dollars.

Compounding this danger, China continues to sell components for weapons of mass destruction to nations like Iraq, Iran, Libya, Syria and North Korea. Last month, China signed a treaty agreement with Russia dedicated to the opposition of America's efforts to defend itself against ballistic missiles.

As Congress debated China's trade status, advocates argued that America was dealing with a new China, a friendlier China, a country that would become an economic partner with the United States. So, despite evidence that China continues to engage in unfair trade practices, violate human rights, and pose a threat to our national security, Congress supported President Bush's decision to provide China with "normal trade relations" status, the same trade status given to our friends across the world including Great Britain, France, Germany and Japan.

This was a mistake. China's initial refusal to release our military personnel and plane earlier this year is indicative of the regard in which the Communist regime holds our government and serves as a strong reminder that China does not consider America an economic partner, but an enemy.

The hard-liners of the Communist regime continue to view America with cynicism. They see the United States as a country anxious to make a profit at any cost, even if it means allowing them to pose a major threat to our national security. The fact is, while we trade with China, they prepare for war.

America has just left the bloodiest century in the history of the world, but it was also a time of triumph for America. It is the story of a great Democrat president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who stood with Winston Churchill against Hitler's German. It is the story of a great Republican President, Ronald Reagan, who faced down and disassembled the Soviet Union.

These successes, however, did not come without cost. America lost 619,000 service personnel in the 20th century. These brave men and women lie in cemeteries across this country and in the oceans and battlefields around the world, many of them fighting in wars for which we were unprepared; that is a tragedy. The greater tragedy will happen if this country, by our own hand after having fought and bled and sacrificed defending freedom, allows another military superpower to fill the cemeteries of this nation with the bodies of Americans killed with weapons purchased by American trade dollars.

China is clearly one of the biggest threats to our nation in the 21st century and has not earned the right to have normal trade relations status. China's past actions reveal its intent. America's leaders cannot send mixed signals and our nation's economic and military interests must be consistent, not in conflict. This is why I believe normalizing trade relations with China was the wrong decision.

Thanks

An Alarming Loss Of America's Secrets
    Duncan Hunter
    July 4th, 2000

The latest national security disaster regarding sensitive nuclear data missing from the Los Alamos National Laboratory should cause the nation to broaden its focus on the Clinton-Gore security apparatus. Instead of viewing the Los Alamos tragedy in a vacuum, the American people should place the situation in context of other security disasters which have occurred over the past eight years.

The Clinton-Gore security gap is founded on, but not limited to, four major failures:

1. Suspected spy at Los Alamos: In August of 1997, the director of the FBI, Louis Freeh, told President Clinton's then-secretary of Energy, Frederico Pena, and Undersecretary Elizabeth Moler, that the resident scientist, Wen Ho Lee, should be removed from classified areas because he was a suspected spy for Communist China.

Despite this recommendation, Lee was allowed to maintain access to Section X, which contains America's most critical nuclear data at Los Alamos, for another 17 months until his ultimate removal in December 1998.

During that time, the director of Los Alamos National Laboratories, John Browne, was never directed by Clinton's Department of Energy leadership to remove Wen Ho Lee from accessing our secret data.

Seemingly, administration officials did not see the urgency, or did not have the time to place a two-minute phone call, to have a suspected spy removed from our nation's most sensitive secrets and, consequently, left him in place for almost a year and a half.

2. Inadequate tracking of supercomputers: High-performance computers, otherwise known as "supercomputers," can facilitate the development of nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles and other advanced conventional weapons systems. For this reason, the export of these supercomputers is regulated by the United States government to prevent our enemies from utilizing this technology to develop weapons systems that will ultimately be used against us.

Ignoring the potential national security consequences, the Clinton administration announced a relaxation of export controls for supercomputers in January of 1996. Between November 1997 and November 1998, the Clinton-Gore administration allowed 191 high-performance supercomputers to be exported to Communist China. Of this number, only one was checked by the Clinton administration to ensure that it wasn't being used in weapons development.

3. Loral Corp. technology transfer to China: In the aftermath of three failed launches of American-built satellites on Chinese rockets, Hughes and Loral corporations transferred missile design information to China without obtaining the legally required licenses.

In 1996, Loral Corp. was found by the Department of Defense to have harmed U.S. security by providing critical missile technology to the Chinese. This transferred technology has improved China's Long March missiles, some of which are armed with nuclear warheads and aimed at U.S. cities.

Despite the conclusions of the DOD investigation regarding this technology transfer and the recommendation by the Justice Department that Loral and Hughes be denied special licenses to launch future satellites from China, President Clinton provided Loral with a China satellite launch waiver in 1998.

4. Nuclear secret hard-drives missing at Los Alamos: In June 2000, it was revealed to the U.S. public that two hard-drives containing critical information on U.S. nuclear weapons were misplaced at Los Alamos. These disks were later "found" behind a copy machine.

As America debates which administrators should be fired, suspended or disciplined, it becomes clear that none of these small measures will be adequate.

The security gap is so strongly rooted in the anti-security policies and incompetence at the highest levels, that it can only be closed by a clean sweep of those responsible for creating it.

The American people must realize that a Gore administration would be populated by many of those responsible for the failures of the Clinton administration. Rearranging the deck chairs will not save the ship of U.S. security. The new team must be competent, professional and pro-defense. That means it can't be Al Gore's team.

Thanks

Congressmen Duncan Hunter and Hayes Champion U.S. Specialty Metals Industry
    WASHINGTON, Nov. 11, 2003 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. specialty metals industry today spotlighted two Members of Congress for their untiring efforts to ensure the enforcement of a longstanding provision requiring that all defense items be produced with strategic metals melted in the United States.

Henry S. Ashbaugh, a long-time executive in the titanium and superalloys industry, noted that House Armed Services Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter (R- CA) and Congressman Robin Hayes (R-NC) began the effort more than a year ago upon learning that the Department of Defense -- responding to defense contractors who had been sourcing strategic materials offshore -- repeatedly waived the "Buy America" provision, or Berry Amendment as it is commonly known.

Thanks

Legislator Takes Stand For Military
    Dec 5, 2004

Congress's chief opponent of legislation to revamp the intelligence community says he remains unmoved, leaving the White House scrambling this weekend for a solution to the impasse that has frustrated the bill's backers and raised questions about President Bush's clout among Republican lawmakers.

For Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), the House Armed Services Committee chairman at the center of the logjam, the role is a familiar one. During 24 years in Congress, he has bucked Democratic as well as Republican presidents when he felt they provided too little money, equipment and weaponry for U.S. troops. When it comes to safeguarding satellite intelligence for troops in Iraq -- the issue that prompted him to waylay the White House-backed bill last month -- he has an unusually personal interest.

Hunter's son, a Marine lieutenant who has served two tours in Iraq, phoned him from embattled Fallujah and "told me to hang in there on the intel thing," the congressman said in an interview late last week. "A lot of military people have told me that," he added, but his accounts of his son, Duncan Duane Hunter, have proved especially moving to his House colleagues, several said.

Hunter has raised two main objections to the legislation that emerged from House-Senate negotiations: It would give the Pentagon insufficient budgetary control over intelligence operations and would make it possible for a director of national intelligence to override Pentagon efforts to deliver information from spy satellites immediately to troops at war. Hunter said in the interview that the budget issue had been resolved, but not the other.

"The military folks are very concerned about the chain-of-command issue," he said. "The Senate has got to move across the finish line on this." Senate leaders have said they will make no further compromises.

Hunter, a decorated Army Ranger in Vietnam, has long had a reputation as a champion of troops in the field. With the added emotional impact of his son's role in Iraq, his influence among rank-and-file House Republicans has reached a new level -- one that caught the administration and Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) by surprise last month.

On Nov. 20, Hastert urged GOP members to embrace the negotiated intelligence bill, which President Bush had endorsed. But after Hunter and another committee chairman addressed their colleagues in a closed meeting, so many Republicans voiced opposition that Hastert kept the measure from reaching a floor vote -- even though there apparently were enough Democratic votes to pass it.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (Wis.) also criticized the bill, saying it lacked important curbs on illegal immigration. But White House efforts to resuscitate the legislation have focused mainly on Hunter's complaints.

Congress convenes tomorrow for a short session that many lawmakers say will mark the intelligence bill's last hope for 2004. White House officials and congressional aides are working to resolve the impasse.

A House vote on a large spending bill is set for 6 p.m. tomorrow. Hastert had hoped to vote on the intelligence measure after that, releasing members in time for the White House congressional Christmas party. Bush aides said the party will take place but the intelligence bill's status was unclear.

In the interview, Hunter said there was nothing uncomfortable or improper about a Republican committee chairman opposing a Republican commander in chief on a matter of Pentagon authority. "I think the system is working well," he said, "because my obligation . . . is to the troops. We are a check and balance on the executive branch. I have a lot more time to spend on this issue than a lot of the folks in the White House, and we've done our homework on it."

Hunter's longtime associates describe him as an unpretentious lawmaker who almost surely will base his decision on what he thinks is best for those, like his son, battling insurgents in Iraq. They were not surprised last month when Hunter spoke forcefully against the bill even after Bush had phoned him to urge its passage.

Praise and criticism, flattery and warnings roll easily off Hunter's wide shoulders, they say. He is slow to anger, the associates say, and slow to change his mind unless someone presents a compelling case -- even if he is opposing the president.

"He is consistently pleasant, but firm," said Rep. Howard Coble (R-N.C.), a colleague of Hunter's for 20 years. "If you haven't convinced him that you're right and he's wrong, he'll dig in his heels." As for White House aides' efforts to overcome House resistance to the bill, Coble said, "If they don't make some kind of case that something has improved, I don't believe Duncan Hunter or Jim Sensenbrenner will cave."

Since 1981, Hunter, 56, has represented the San Diego area, a major naval base. From the outset, looking out for the military at the ground -- or sea -- level was synonymous with looking out for his constituents, colleagues say. Hunter sometimes irritated the Pentagon by pushing it to build and deploy more ships and submarines, said Chris Warden, his press secretary in the early 1980s.

"He was willing to go to the mat for his district," said Warden, who teaches journalism at Troy State University in Alabama. "He wasn't really concerned about the niceties of Washington." He said Hunter stunned his staff by nonchalantly taking his young son -- now the Marine -- to a hastily called White House meeting with President Ronald Reagan. The child delighted a surprised Reagan, Warden said.

Over the years, Hunter rarely met a weapons system he did not like. He championed the satellite-based Strategic Defense Initiative and called for building more B-2 bombers without reducing the number of B-1 bombers. In March 2000, he and others persuaded Hastert to boost military spending by $4 billion by threatening to vote against a key budget resolution.

Two months after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Hunter criticized Bush's spending priorities, saying the president wanted to "conduct an aggressive Ronald Reagan foreign policy with a Jimmy Carter defense budget."

"He's a classic sort of pro-defense conservative," said Michael E. O'Hanlon, a military scholar at the Brookings Institution. At least for now, in the struggle between the Pentagon and the intelligence community, Hunter seems to have plenty of admirers in the Republican-controlled House.

Thanks

Hunter Successfully Offers Shipyard Workers Amendment
    May 9, 2007

California Republican and Presidential Candidate Duncan Hunter, sponsored an amendment to House Resolution 1585, the Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2008. House Resolution 1585 requires American shipbuilders to hire American workers, protecting American jobs. The Armed Services Committee, of which Hunter is ranking member, unanimously passed the amendment by voice vote during its early stages of the legislation.

“American shipbuilders are some of the most skilled and productive workers in the world,” said Hunter. “Our shipyards remain a critical component of our nation’s strategic manufacturing base, and it is important that this industry be preserved for, and strengthened by, American workers. This amendment ensures that our navy’s ships will continue being built by the hands of American workers and not recruited foreign labor.”

The Hunter amendment specifically prohibits the use of funds at shipbuilding yards that hire foreign workers until shipbuilders can demonstrate attempts to recruit and hire American workers are futile. The amendment also requires that the United States Navy, within the next five years, identify shipyards with potential labor surpluses as part of its annual shipbuilding plan. This will allow shipyards a better recruiting procedure when their work force dries up.

Following Committee approval of the FY2008 Defense Authorization Act, the legislation will go to the full House for further consideration.

Hunter’s Presidential campaign has been strengthened by added support from around the nation for his 2-way street on trade, i.e., fair trade. “China, an oppressive, communist country, is arming militarily using money straight from the pockets of laid off American workers,” said Hunter. “International trade has the ability to lead to global prosperity, but it cannot come at the expense of the American worker and their families,” Hunter concluded.

Hunter contends that our domestic manufacturers are forced to compete against foreign companies that benefit from their country’s currency and regulatory regimes. He says China is cheating on trade and using billions of American trade dollars to build ships, planes, and missiles. Hunter says that escalation is at, “an alarming rate.” This unfair trade continues while the foreign countries are taking away millions of American jobs.
    Hunter said he will reverse this “one-way street” inequity with a new policy of fair trade for the American worker. He says his policy is not protectionist. “I am for fair trade while working to ensure that we maintain and secure American jobs. Our workers deserve the best due to their proven productivity, sustainable quality, and confirmed affordability.”

He wants to prevent a subsidized foreign product from being sold cheaply in America, while superior American products are being prevented from being sold overseas. Hunter said he is not for eliminating cheaper, superior foreign products from arriving in our marketplace. He just wants a level playing field for our products and for our workers.

Hunter has spent 26-years in Congress fighting for a strong national defense. He talks of a strong America, a time in the WWII era when this country was the arsenal of democracy. His drafting and introducing of H.R. 1585 is evident of that fact.

Thanks

Pardon Me? A Congressional Pardon
    The power to pardon traditionally belongs to the president. But Representative Duncan Hunter, who is seeking the 2008 Republican nomination, isn’t waiting for Inauguration Day.

Mr. Hunter introduced a bill in January to initiate an unprecedented Congressional pardon of two former border patrol agents currently serving 11- and 12-year sentences after shooting a drug smuggler on the Texas-Mexico border in 2005.

For Mr. Hunter and other immigration hardliners, their conviction is an “extreme injustice.”

While Constitutional objections are “very much a possibility,” said Joe Kasper, Mr. Hunter’s spokesman, he doesn’t see the measure threatening executive power. The president’s required signature on the bill “would obviously be synonymous with his authority to execute a pardon,” he said. “The Congress is doing nothing more than initiating a pardon.”

A House Judiciary Committee spokesperson said a subcommittee will hold a hearing about sentencing guidelines related to the border patrol case in the coming weeks, but “no decisions have been made yet” on Mr. Hunter’s bill, which has 98 cosponsors.

Formal debate over general immigration legislation is set to begin May 14 in the Senate.

Thanks

Congressman Duncan Hunter On His Presidential Bid
    HH: I’m Hugh Hewitt with Congressman Duncan Hunter, ranking Republican on the House Armed Services Committee, candidate for president of the United States. Congressman, good to have you back, thank you for being here.

DH:
    Hey, great to be with you, Hugh.

HH: Congressman, let’s start by telling people what your website is for the presidential campaign.

DH: www.gohunter08.com.

HH: www.gohunter08.com. How did the first quarter fundraising go, Congressman?

DH: Well, we raised, Hugh, right at, in fact, a little bit more than half a million bucks, and I know the other guys who have been working this thing for a year or two have, oh, they’ve called in with numbers of $15 and $20 million dollars. But you know something? We were outspent ten to one in the South Carolina straw poll, and Mr. Romney had wall to wall television going until the polls closed. We beat him two to one, and we tied McCain and Giuliani at the top with 22%, even though they also outspent us by about ten to one. So that shows that we’ve got great traction in this campaign. We’re doing good.

HH: Now every day, Congressman, I get letters from Duncan Hunterites who say you know, you’ve got to get Congressman Hunter on, and I tell them we’ve had him on, we’ll have him on again. Who’s making up your campaign grass roots?

DH: Well, we’ve got a great…you know, it’s interesting. Since the numbers came out yesterday, and we were on a radio show, we said hey, people, send in your $25, $50 dollars, $100 dollars, we brought in $23,000 dollars yesterday just from people sending in small donations from around the country. So we’ve got a great grass roots organization, lots of folks who believe in a strong national defense, having an enforceable border, building that border fence, and lastly, bringing back high-paying manufacturing jobs to this country that we’ve pushed offshore with bad trade deals. So we’ve got lots of great people across the country, and you know, they’re turning, too, Hugh. They’re helping us a lot. We’re going to…we’re looking very closely at the straw poll in Iowa. In fact, I’m in Iowa right now heading to Chester, Iowa, and that straw poll is going to be in August, all the guys will be in there playing. We’ll also be in the Texas straw poll, and South Carolina’s going to have a couple more. So we’re working away at a grass roots level, things are going very well.

HH: Congressman Hunter, the student of politics that I am, I know that if someone’s going to come out of the second tier and jump into the first tier, they’ve got to muscle aside the other guys in the second tier, and that would be, in your case, Sam Brownback and Tom Tancredo. How do you get the Tancredo and Brownback people to come to work for Hunter?

DH: Well, you know, I’m a good friend of Tom’s, and I know Sam Brownback well, a good guy. And we have a lot of the same convictions and same values. I think that everybody’s an independent contractor, Hugh, and you’ve got to let everybody play their game, and follow their course. But you know, I think that in South Carolina, at least, when we worked hard there and focused on our message, we came out just six votes behind John McCain, tied, really, within one percentage point at 22%, with McCain and Giuliani. Romney had roughly half the votes we had at 11 percentage points, and I think Sam Brownback was at 12. And Sam was in there heavy, he was working with his great precinct organization. Tom was a little bit below that. All of us are hoping, of course, we’re all working to get traction, get our campaigns to go, but I think we’ve got good compatibility, and I think we all support a lot of the same values. I’m a little different from Sam on illegal immigration, as you know. At least the statements I’ve seen, he, at least initially, supported the McCain-Kennedy bill, which I didn’t support. But I think we’ve got a lot of common ground in the social areas, and I think you just have to rely on your friends and people who share your principles coming aboard when the smoke clears.

HH: Now I mixed it up with Tom Tancredo a little bit yesterday, Congressman, because he’s running for the presidency, but he won’t renounce running for the House in ’08. And I don’t view that as a real deal. If you’re going for the presidency at the same time you’re on the ballot, I don’t think you ought to be pursuing two offices. You have retired. I mean, you’ve announced you’re quitting, right?

DH: That’s it. I think it’s tough to keep one foot in both places. You know, I do everything 110%, Hugh, and when I got into this race to run for the House in 1980, I was in a 2-1 Democrat district, 29% Republican. I gave it everything I had. In fact, I sold my house to run for Congress, I couldn’t raise any money. And we went out and we did everything we could. And I’ve got a great wife. I came home and she said you did what? I said well, we sold the house, honey. It’s going to be okay. But you know something? We’re giving it 110%. I have my great son who’s done two tours in the Marine Corps in Iraq, come down and run that South Carolina operation. And let me tell you, he went up against 550 political consultants, Mr. Romney had tons of people hired on payroll, and old Captain Hunter waded into him, and we beat the Romney camp 2-1, and that was a straw poll where people had to actually go out to their voting precincts, to their regular voting places, in a driving rainstorm, and vote for the candidate of their choice. I think that was a good indicator of where the values are, at least in that important early primary state.

HH: Now is Captain Hunter…

DH: I’ve left my office, and we’re going to give it 110% in this race for president.

HH: Now is that Captain Hunter, the Marine, the same one who’s going to run for your seat?

DH: You know, Hugh, he told me he’s going to run for my seat whether I leave it or not. That’s why I’m getting out of there. He could beat me.

HH: (laughing) Okay, well, we’ll come back to that subject another day, whether or not he’s got opposition. Let me ask you about Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of the House, in which you still serve, going to Syria, Duncan Hunter.

DH: You know, there was a great Democrat statesman named Scoop Jackson, Senator Jackson from the state of Washington, who said in national security matters, the best politics is no politics. And the idea of a Speaker who’s been very contentious, who’s attacked the President regularly, going off to foreign countries, giving them the impression that there’s really two foreign policies in this country, theirs and the President’s, I think is a bad thing for our country. And you know, and I think John Tower said the same thing, that when foreign policy leaves our shores. It should leave with one voice. And so I don’t think this is good, and it gives the impression that we’ve got a fractured country in terms of our foreign policy. And I just wish that…and you know, Sam Rayburn was another great Speaker of the House who always backed up the president whether it was Democrat or Republican. When that president made a statement on foreign policy, Sam Rayburn backed him up. Now Sam Rayburn fought him hard on social issues or on domestic issues, but he backed up the president as commander in chief. I wish that Nancy Pelosi would look at that tradition, and change her ways.

HH: Ten seconds, Duncan Hunter. The website again?

DH:
    www.gohunter08.com, and you can do a lot, send in your money, folks, and get those $50 dollars in on your credit card, and that’ll help me stand up to these big money boys who are calling in their millions as we speak.

HH: www.gohunter08.com. Congressman Hunter, always a pleasure.

End of interview.

Thanks

Hunter Eyes Funds For Military Wares
    8/24/2006

Congress is expected to pass legislation in September that will provide $70 billion in emergency funding for combat readiness and replenishment of the military's war-damaged equipment, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-El Cajon, said yesterday.

The amount would be $20 billion more than the initial allotment in the 2007 National Defense Authorization Act, said Hunter, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee.

In recent weeks, senior commanders for the Marine Corps and Army have testified before Congress that they need about $30 billion to restore their ground, air and communications equipment to levels before the Iraq war. On Tuesday, two think tanks issued a report that largely confirmed the commanders' statements.

“We are going to pay every dime identified (for equipment) by the Marine Corps and Army,” Hunter said. “In a shooting war, there is no substitute for unit readiness.”

Thanks

Hunter Seeks More Soldiers, Marines
    May 5, 2004

In a break with the Bush administration, House Armed Services Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter said Wednesday his panel will authorize an increase of 30,000 soldiers and 9,000 Marines to meet the continuing high demands on the U.S. military.

Hunter, R-Calif. (El Cajon), announced his committee's plans to boost the ground forces a day after the Pentagon announced the unexpected deployment of 10,000 additional soldiers and Marines to Iraq.

The committee also will authorize additional funds for body armor, armor-plated vehicles and other equipment to protect the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, Hunter said.

The additional personnel will cost a total of $4 billion a year when all 39,000 are serving, but the increased cost of the force protection equipment will be offset by cutting "lower priority" programs, he said.

Although the increase in troop strength is likely to be approved by the House, it could face a tough fight in the Senate because of opposition by the administration and by Senate Armed Services Committee chairman John Warner, R-Va.

But Hunter said the administration has resisted a permanent force increase because the Pentagon is concerned that additional personnel would take funds needed for new weapons.

"We think we can have both and we must have both" adequate personnel and new equipment, Hunter said.

In its version of the fiscal 2005 defense authorization bill, the committee will allow the Army to add 10,000 soldiers to its authorized personnel limit in each of the next three years. The Marine Corps will be authorized to add 3,000 a year over the same period.

The Army currently is authorized 482,400 soldiers, but actually has about 500,000 on active duty because it is allowed to exceed its limit to meet demands. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has approved an additional 30,000 soldiers on a temporary basis while the Army makes some structural and personnel assignment changes that its leaders believe will make more troops available for foreign missions.

Hunter's proposal would make the increase of 30,000 soldiers permanent.

Gen. Peter Schoomaker, Army chief of staff, has opposed a permanent increase, even though the Army has had to call up 148,280 numbers of Army Reserve and National Guard troops to meet its commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan and other hot spots. That is about one-fifth of the part-time soldiers.

The Marines are authorized 174,000 personnel but have about 177,000 on active duty and have called up 5,082 reservists.

Gen. Michael Hagee, the Marine Corps commandant, has said he does not need additional troops even though nearly all of the Corps' combat units were deployed in Iraq last year. With the additional deployments to Iraq announced Tuesday, the Marines would have nearly 30,000 troops there, while about 2,000 more are in Afghanistan.

Rep. John McHugh, R-N.Y., chairman of the subcommittee dealing with personnel issues, and Rep. Heather Wilson, R-N.M., a committee member, joined Hunter at a Capitol news conference to argue for the troop increase.

McHugh said the proposed personnel increase is not meant to settle the on-going argument over whether there are enough U.S. troops in Iraq. "This is an attempt to recognize that there are insufficient forces to maintain the rotation" of new personnel to retain whatever level of troops is required, he said.

McHugh noted that the 10th Mountain Division, based in his district at Fort Drum, got orders Tuesday to send another brigade to Iraq, not long after returning from Afghanistan.

Rumsfeld has argued that the military does not need a permanent troop increase because the current high level of demand is "a spike."

But Wilson said the global war on terrorism is a long-term commitment "and we have to size the force to meet it."

The top Democrat on the committee, Rep. Ike Skelton of Missouri, was not at the news conference but has called repeatedly for increased troops.

In addition to troop increases, Hunter said his committee will shift funds from other programs to buy additional armor protection for personnel and vehicles, plus sensors and other equipment to counter the roadside bombs and mortar and rocket attacks that have caused most of the 442 U.S. combat deaths in the year since President Bush declared an end to major combat in Iraq.

Hunter held the news conference as his panel's subcommittees started the process of approving the defense authorization bill for the next fiscal year.

The Senate subcommittees started their process Tuesday.

Thanks

Hunter: China Transforming Its Military
    China is developing armed forces that can conduct offensive operations around the world, a GOP presidential candidate has warned.

"During the last year, China demonstrated its resolve to transform and evolve its military into one that can challenge its regional neighbors first and then into a force that can conduct offensive operations globally," Rep. Duncan Hunter, the ranking Republican on the Armed Services Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives and a conservative candidate for his party's 2008 presidential nomination, said in a statement this week.

"In October 2006, a Chinese SONG-class diesel submarine surfaced near the USS Kitty Hawk -- demonstrating a deep-water capability; on January 11, 2007, China conducted a direct-ascent anti-satellite (ASAT) test, a provocative act signaling the country's indisputable capability to challenge the United States in space," Hunter said.

"Today, China continues to transform from a coastal navy to a fleet centered on anti-access and area denial," he said. "This fleet includes the Russian-purchased SOVREMENNY II guided missile destroyers fitted with anti-ship cruise missiles; nuclear attack and diesel submarines, including 12 KILO-class submarines delivered by Russia, and the Chinese-produced LUYANG II class destroyer with a vertical launch air defense system."

"Additionally, China is modernizing its offensive air capabilities, deploying the F-10 multi-role fighter aircraft to operational units; co-producing the multi-role SU-270 MK/FLANKER fighter with Russia; and arming its tactical aircraft with precision weaponry," Hunter said.

The Chinese military build-up is arousing increasing concern among members of Congress and the House Armed Services Committee held a hearing on the subject this week.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information