Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia Tech massacre

Thanks

Default Virginia Tech massacre

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=171688

Shooting on US campus leaves multiple victims

04-16-2007, 16h21
    WASHINGTON (AFP)

A US university in Virginia said Monday a shooting on its campus had left multiple victims, as it urged students and faculty to evacuate.
    There has been "a multiple shooting with multiple victims," said Virginia Tech, adding one gunman had already been arrested and police were searching for a possible second shooter.

Fox News reported 17 victims, citing a hospital official.

But there was confirmation as to whether any of the victims had died.
    Gunfire first broke out earlier Monday in a residence on the campus in the small western Virginia town of Blacksburg, and was then heard in a second building, called the Norris Hall.

"Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows," the university announced after the shooting.

The school, which has some 25,000 students, and is officially known as the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, eventually started evacuating faculty and staff in waves.

The university, located some 425 kilometers (264 miles) southwest of Washington, cancelled all classes for the rest of the day, and entrances to the campus were closed as well, as television images showed heavily armed police rushing across the school grounds in a light snowfall.

The shooting comes just days ahead of the anniversary of the country's deadliest school shooting at Columbine in Littleton, Colorado when two students shot dead 12 classmates and a teacher on April 20, 1999, before killing themselves.

"Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter," the university said on its website.

Amy Steele, the chief editor of of the student newspaper, told CNN that she had spoken to students in the buildings where the shootings were heard, and was told many were running around in a panic.

"The police officers were trying to, you know, settle everyone down and keep everything under control," she said.

"One of the injuries happened from a student jumping out of a window."

Last August Virigina Tech was the site of another shooting when an escaped prisoner tried to hide on the campus, US media reported.

A security guard and a policeman were killed before the man was re-arrested. Virginia Tech's website also announced that a reward of 5,000 dollars had been posted on Sunday for information leading to the arrest of those behind two bomb hoaxes at the campus on April 2 and 13.

AFP
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: At least 22 people killed on US campus

I heard it's up to 25 and rising. -Mal

Thanks

http://time-blog.com/real_clear_poli...nt_on_sho.html

April 16, 2007
    Statement by Virginia Tech President on Shooting
    Posted by TOM BEVAN | E-Mail This | Permalink | Email Author
    Here's an update from Virginia Tech President Charles W. Steger just posted to the University web site:
    The university was struck today with a tragedy of monumental proportions. There were two shootings on campus. In each case, there were fatalities. The university is shocked and horrified that this would befall our campus. I want to extend my deepest, sincerest and most profound sympathies to the families of these victims which include students There are 22 confirmed deaths. We currently are in the process of notifying families of victims. The Virginia Tech Police are being assisted by numerous other jurisdictions. Crime scenes are being investigated by the FBI, University Police, and State Police. We continue to work to identify the victims impacted by this tragedy. I cannot begin to covey my own personal sense of loss over this senselessness of such an incomprehensible and heinous act The university will immediately set up counseling centers. So far centers have been identified in Ambler Johnson and the Cook Counseling Center to work with our campus community and families.
    Here are some of the facts we know:
    At about 7:15 a.m. this morning a 911 call came to the University Police Department concerning an event in West Amber Johnston Hall. There were multiple shooting victims. While in the process of investigating, about two hours later the university received reports of a shooting in Norris Hall. The police immediately responded. Victims have been transported to various hospitals in the immediate area in the region to receive emergency treatment.
    We will proceed to contact the families of victims as identities are available.
    All classes are cancelled and the university is closed for the remainder for the today. The university will open tomorrow at 8 a.m. but classes will be cancelled on Tuesday. The police are currently staging the release of people from campus buildings.
    Families wishing to reunite with the students are suggested to meet at the Inn at Virginia Tech. We are making plans for a convocation tomorrow (Tuesday) at noon at Cassell Coliseum for the university community to come together to begin to deal with the tragedy.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Thanks

Count is 32 now, at least 21 wounded.

Do we have a name yet?

He entered the school wearing several gun belts and several weapons. This wasn't a "crime of passion" it was a deliberate act of murder.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

2 hand guns recovered. Two SEPARATE shooting incidents today. One was earlier on, the second shooting is the one that has resulted in all the deaths.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

They're saying on Fox news that this is the worst shooting in US history. The gunman's identity is not being released yet. There are some reports of it being an Asian man, but if they are writing about the photo shown of some man who looked Asian being the gunman, that is not correct, that person was released after some questioning. Whoever it was that did this, planned it. There were 2 9mms and the guy was locking doors according to witnesses. It was also reported by witnesses that he lined up students and shot them execution style. http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/p...Y&pageId=3.2.1

Thanks

I want to know why NO ONE attacked this guy? Are our campuses so filled with Liberal, non-violent, prissy assed people that NO ONE HAD THE BALLS TO TRY TO STOP THIS GUY and ALL THOSE PEOPLE DIED ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!

My God.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Virginia shootings: Eyewitness accounts

Eyewitnesses at Virginia Tech university have been emailing the BBC News website describing the scene at the campus, where at least 31 people have been killed and 10 injured.

Read a selection of them below, as they come in.

One of my friends...met with the shooter by accident and was nearly shot

Mihai Alexe, Blacksburg, VA

I am a graduate student at Virginia Tech and fortunately I chose not to go to campus early this morning. We have been notified of the first incident very quickly and advised to stay indoors and exercise caution. One of my friends was teaching a class in Norris Hall, where the second incident took place. She sent me an email and an instant message saying she met with the shooter by accident and was nearly shot. She succeeded in barricading herself along with other students in one of the classrooms and as far as I know she is now safe. God help all the students who were injured in this tragic event!
    Mihai Alexe, Blacksburg, VA

Our campus has been shut down for the remainder of the day, and many local high schools have kept everything on lock down.
    Mala, Blacksburg, USA

I am a graduate student at VT. This has been quite a surreal and grim morning for us all. We had a shooter on campus on the first day of campus and now this. We have been under a lot of stress lately, as there have already been several bomb threats over the past few weeks, even as early as Friday. I do not know if the threats are related to today's shooting. I still can't believe this has happened. My tears continue to pour as the number of casualties continues to rise.
    Mia Ortega, Blacksburg, VA, USA

My friend called me telling me not to come on campus because there had been another shooting

Judith Payne, Blacksburg, VA, USA

I am in shock at the events that happened this morning. I am a junior attending Virginia Tech. I was getting ready to leave for my class at 10 am this morning, when my friend Margaret called me telling me not to come on campus because there had been another shooting (we had had a shooting in August on the first day of class). She said that cops had run past her class room and others had run in pointing guns and telling everyone to get down. I live a mile off campus, and I've just been watching the news unfold on the TV. It's scary to see how the numbers increase from 1 dead, 7 injured to 22 dead 21 injured in a matter of minutes. It's been a traumatic experience for the school.
    Judith Payne, Blacksburg, VA

I live in West AJ on the third floor. Apparently it all began around 0700 this morning, when the gunman shot and killed one person on the fourth floor. He may have shot other people in the dorm too. Now the police are telling us at least 22 people have been killed (counting the shooter himself). This is very scary, and we are shocked that something like this could happen here in Blacksburg. It really is a very quiet, rural, small town in Southwest Virginia.
    Josh Shiben, Blacksburg, VA

I am an exchange student from Birmingham studying here at Virginia Tech for one year. several friends of mine were near to the second incident and took pictures using a mobile phone. I am now in my dorm room roughly 100ft from the first incident. It is amazing to think that an event like this could have happened in such a quiet town. We are all in shock at the moment.
    George Barnwell,

Students are terrified

Derek Belcher, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA

I am a student at Virginia Tech and was on campus during the second shooting at Norris Hall. The Virginia Tech police told us that 20 are confirmed dead and 28 are being treated for injuries. This is the second shooting in one year as well as three bomb threats in the last week. Students are terrified.
    Derek Belcher, Blacksburg, Virginia US

I'm from University College Dublin and now on exchange in Virginia Tech. A murderer on campus on our first day here is as bad as it could get, this is unbelievable. Find it hard to believe that 20 people can really be dead. Sitting in dorms right now, waiting for further news. People starting to be released, seems worst may be over.
    Nicola, Ireland /Blacksburg, VA

We are stuck on lockdown in the library on campus right now and everyone just seems to be in shock. Cops are everywhere. We just heard that 17 people have been shot. It's been hard to determine what's true and what's just a rumour. We can only hope that the shooters are caught soon.
    Krishna and Allison, Blacksburg, Virginia, America

The scene here is just surreal

Brandon, Blacksburg, USA

The scene here is just surreal. Watching the TV and looking at the web-pages, you know that all of this is happening on your campus, but you don't fully realize that it is actually happening; especially as a student. One of my friends was in one of the classrooms where the shooting occurred, and the scene he described was utter chaos. It sounded like a scene from a movie, something that you watch but never expect to happen to you, or to anyone that you know. My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and families of the victims.
    Brandon, Blacksburg, USA

I am a faculty from VT. I am shocked with the scale of this horrific event took place in our campus. The gunman is reportedly dead. We do not have much information. An evacuation plan will be performed by police officers very soon and we will go back to our homes. May the victims' souls rest in peace.
    Kerem Gungor, Blacksburg, VA

We are in total shock, and it's still setting in. The fact that 20 people have been shot on my campus is totally unthinkable and unbelievable. It's like something out a movie, but it's real. I pray for the families of those killed. This is a terrible tragedy, one that will have a lasting impact on this university for years to come.
    Timothy Owen, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA

This is truly awful. I am staying just outside of campus at the moment. So many of my friends are in there, and not knowing is just awful. I still cannot believe that more than 20 have died...
    Richard Allnutt, Blacksburg, USA

I am a student at Virginia Tech and was in my dormitory at 10:30 when I FINALLY got word about the shootings. I was on my way out to class when I was stopped by a hallmate telling me about what was going on. Students are now coming back to the dorms. I have a friend who is in the building behind Norris and is surrounded by students and faculty who were in Norris. One girl expressed how she saw many bloody bodies. We are being advised to stay in the dorm, but information from the University is slow, although the news coverage has been the best source of information. Why weren't we warned after the FIRST shooting?
    Bethany Zimmerman, Blacksburg Virginia

I am a student. I was walking to class when one of the buildings was evacuated. The police yelled to get off the drillfield. People started running everywhere. The situation is intense. Everyone is worried.
    Brett Morris, Blacksburg, VA, USA

Death toll already verified at 20. Victims have been taken to a regional hospital. FBI has been called in to investigate. There was a single heavily-armed shooter that has now been reported as shot dead as well. All classes have been cancelled, some buildings are being evacuated one by one.
    Justin Shrout, Alexandria Virginia

Just spoke via messenger to my friend, who works at Virginia Tech - her husband works in that building (Norris Hall) but was luckily teaching in a different building. When we stopped talking maybe 20 minutes ago, she thought it was all over now, and students were being sent home.
    Scared, Southampton UK

After the second shooting, police vehicles have been travelling through town using PA systems to warn town residents to stay away from windows. Blacksburg is an extremely safe town, we rarely, if ever lock the doors to our house at night.

Nathan Johnson, Blacksburg, VA
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox...Y&pageId=3.3.1

The gunman in the 2nd round of shootings was described as an Asian wearing a vest covered with clips. He killed himself, and there was no i.d. on him. An investigation is still in progress as to if the 1st dorm shootings in which 2 people died are connected, and that may mean that they are looking for another shooter. The police wouldn't say for sure. The scenes on the news show police dogs on the case. People blocked the doors of classrooms with furnature, others jumped out of windows to avoid getting shot. In one classroom, everybody was shot except a guy who played dead. I, too, wish somebody would have died taking him down. This is just horrible. This is also a sad lesson in when you don't have guns, you can bet that the bad guys do have and use them.

Thanks

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...4/s1898782.htm

Little is known of the gunman who carried out the assault other than vague references by some students to him as Asian looking. Authorities confirmed he was not carrying any identification, and there was no word on how he prepared and carried out the attack.

But fingers were already being pointed at the gun culture prevalent in the state of Virginia and in particular at Virginia Tech University which is home to a proud tradition of military cadets.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank God for the campus gun ban! If it hadn't been in place, just think of all the people that could have died... Oh... Wait...

But seriously, two things I heard on the news that ticked me off:

1. The news mentions the University of Texas shooting as an example of a school shooting but, fails to mention that citizens used personally owned firearms to help law enforcement pin down Charles Whitman, the shooter.
    2. The news mentions the Appalachian School of Law shootings as an example of a school shooting but, fails to mention that two armed students forced the shooter, Peter Odighizuwa, to surrender.
    This is just another case that had any of those individuals involved in this incident been armed, this likely would have been over much sooner.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Scratch that about just 2 things ticking me off. Make that 3.

The third thing is that I heard one of those "empty suits" on TV actually say that the 1994 AWB limited magazines to just 10 rounds but since it expired, you could now get scary 19 round magazines! Now, we all know what utter bullshit that is.

Thanks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1811&ct=5

A student adviser was called in to help sort out a quarrel between the gunman and his girlfriend who was killed along with the girlfriend in the dorm. Those were the first two killed and the reason for police stating that they believed that the killer had fled the scene completely and could not anticipate that he would go out on a shooting spree. It may have been a fatal error for not locking down the campus, but then again, that might have resulted in finding that they had locked in more students who would later become victims. Somebody has to come up with something better than lockdowns.

I just heard on Fox news that the gunman has now been identified, but that info isn't being released yet. He's a lone gunman, a Chinese national on a student visa.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

WOW.

How tragic.

And I'm with Rick and Aplomb...I can't believe they didn't fight back.

Found link for this article on another site. Haven't been able to find the article elsewhere...yet.

My point is: Chinese man who arrived in the United States last year on a student visa.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...041607.article

Gunman kills 32 at Virginia Tech before being killed

April 16, 2007

BY MICHAEL SNEED Sun-Times Columnist

Authorities were investigating whether the gunman who killed 32 people on the Virginia Tech campus in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history was a Chinese man who arrived in the United States last year on a student visa.

The 24-year-old man arrived in San Francisco on United Airlines on Aug. 7 on a visa issued in Shanghai, the source said. Investigators have not linked him to any terrorist groups, the source said.

Police believe three bomb threats on the campus last week may have been attempts by the man to test the campus’ security response, the source said.

SNIP

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Just to be clear...

I found the above link/article on ARFCOM.

I just now noticed that NEIN has almost the same info: 'Chinese man on a visa.'

Thanks

It's an exclusive by Sun Times. The reporter even has the name of the guy but cannot give it out.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aplomb View Post
    It's an exclusive by Sun Times. The reporter even has the name of the guy but cannot give it out.

It is NOT an exclusive by the Sun Times. NEIN received and developed this data from our own anon on-the-scene LE source.

I will relate what we have independently determined.

The 24-year old Chinese man, in the US on a student visa was or still is a PLA soldier. ALL able bodied Chinese males have obligatory military service in the PLAfrom 18 to 22 years old. Unknown is the student completed his mandatory obligation to the PLA, or is a volunteer, and thus an officer, who remains on active duty or in a reserve capacity while increasing his education. This explains the detailed planning and military efficiency inherent in the execution of the operation.

The girlfriend and student councellor murders were a deception tactic. The engineering facility was his primary target, and one Jewish professor in particular, which he patiently awaited for until the classes were in full session.

The celllphone video shown yesterday on many US TV stations was recorded by a Muslim Palestinian student.

There is much more, but suffice it to say that this thread is in the wrong forum.
    It belongs in the terrorism forum.
    Last edited by Sean Osborne; April 17th, 2007 at 12:12.

Thanks

Yes, Sean, I agree, and I'm moving this to over to the Terrorism forum. Thanks, as always, for the additional details.

Banned
    Thanks

More will be forthcoming. Of course my reference to the Chinese PLA service is all now in the past tense - he's dead - but while committing those acts he may have been still an active or reserve soldier.

This is the number one reason why his identity remains hidden from public disclosure at this time. How can Americans be told - with an eye always on the Islamic terrorist threat - that a ChiCom soldier pulled off this massacre, the first Law Enforcement reponse to which was recorded on a cellphone by a Palestinian student.

If a campus PD reacted so feebly to such an attack on an American educational institution... what chance do small school districts around the nation have now that the entire world has seen our response on live TV?

The professionalism demonstrated thus far is quite underwhelming, but should serve as a cold-cocked slap in the face to everyone of just how vulnerable our schools are.

Our complacency sucks big time, our bravado nothing more than hollow words.

The 32 facts-of-the-matter lie DOA in the Blacksburg, VA morgue this morning.

Thread Information