Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Terrorism here in the US

Thanks

Default Re: Terrorism here in the US

Under investigation? Pretty obvious to me.

And that's bad. AAFES employees.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Heard about this early today. White, balding male. Probably a racist or something.

NAACP Chapter Bombing in Colorado Springs Deliberate, Says FBI

By Paula Mejia 1/7/15 at 2:01 PM

Investigators look over the aftermath of a homemade explosive, which was placed need the Colorado Springs chapter of the NAACP, January 6, 2015. Christian Murdock/The Colorado Springs Gazette/AP

Filed Under: U.S.

A homemade explosive Tuesday blew up outside the Colorado Springs, Colorado, chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) in what the FBI has called a deliberate incident, reports the Los Angeles Times.
    The chapter’s offices, as well as “Mr. G’s Hair Design Studio” barber shop located inside the building, sustained minor damage from the explosion. No deaths or injuries have been reported.
    Try Newsweek for only $1.25 per week
    Witnesses reported hearing a “loud boom” around 10:45 a.m. local time. “There was smoke everywhere, the building on the side was burnt,” one onlooker told local television station KDVR. The Los Angeles Times reports an improvised bomb appears to have been positioned against the outside wall of the building on South El Paso Street. It was placed right next to a gasoline can, but the latter didn’t burst during the explosion, according to FBI Denver spokeswoman Amy Sanders.
    FBI officials speaking to the Los Angeles Times said the explosion that shook the neighborhood “was caused deliberately.”
    The FBI, as well as its Joint Terrorism Task Force, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are investigating the incident. “The investigation is ongoing and it is not known at this time if the NAACP or a business in the vicinity was the intended target,” said spokeswoman Sanders in a statement.
    NAACP chapter president Henry Allen Jr. was “hesitant”
    on Tuesday to call the bomb a hate crime until more information is revealed, but he said in an interview with local newspaper The Gazette that the chapter “will not be deterred” by threats.
    The NAACP has sustained numerous acts of violence since its founding in 1909. The Washington Post reports that racially fueled violence caused several Texas branches to shutter in the 1910s and 1920s, and NAACP Florida State Conference founder Harry T. Moore and his wife, Harriette, were killed after a bomb was detonated under their bed on Christmas Day, 1951.
    The hashtag #NAACPBombing has been trending on social media since the attack on Tuesday morning. Media outlets were criticized on Twitter for not covering the event, as many users—including locals—reported only finding out about it on the rapid-fire social network.
    Keep in mind #NAACPBombing (deliberate) happened yesterday AM & is NOW becoming natl news bc of Twitter. Let that settle for a moment.
    — Dante Barry (@dantebarry) January 7, 2015
    The tweets on the #NAACPBombing are crazy. Also, the lack of coverage. We live here and my husband had no idea it even happened here!
    — Nicoleincos (@nicoleincos) January 7, 2015
    The FBI’s primary suspect in the case is a balding white male about 40 years old, reports the Denver Post. The owner of Mr. G’s Hair Design Studio, Gene Southerland, was cutting someone’s hair at the time of the explosion. He said that several neighbors reported seeing a “Caucasian gentleman get into a white truck” following the incident.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

FBI is saying this morning there isn't even any evidence they were the TARGET. It wasn't IN their building, it was outside the building from what I am hearing.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I saw an article last night, that I didn't hhave a chance to post, that said investigators aren't even sure the NAACP building was the target.

Thanks

Yeah, I watched this guy last night. I even had words with him.

‘Tomorrow New York will burn': ISIS sympathizer tweets specific bomb, gun threats

Posted at 1:00 am on January 13, 2015 by Twitchy Staff | View Comments

• Share on Facebook

Tomorrow new York will burn #ISIS staying and stretching http://t.co/jnfWRUEGsW

أبو عبيدة المصرى (@enghaitham1989) January 13, 2015
    @HarrietBaldwin yeh I'm terrorist and u r son of bitch Tomorrow you will see hell in new York
    — أبو عبيدة المصرى (@enghaitham1989) January 13, 2015
    The hacking of CENTCOM’s Twitter and Youtube accounts this morning was yet another reminder that cyberjihad, like offline jihad, is a 24/7 enterprise. Tonight, an ISIS sympathizer with the handle “‏@enghaitham1989″ tweeted several threats to individual Twitter users, as well as specific terror threats to New York City.
    @Meeeech_L @FBI @NewYorkFBI @LMFHowell at 3:00 am bomb beside beauty place beside weight house
    @LMFHowell @Po_st @LMFHowell @Po_st isis staying and stretching Islam will control Tomorrow bombing in new York like 11/9
    #سرية_الملحمة تقدمــ:: || أأمريكا إلــه ؟ || http://t.co/AMajWyJAy3 كتبه: ~ الجيــلانــي ~ pic.twitter.com/InFbAnQ5Qi
    — أبو عبيدة المصرى (@enghaitham1989) January 5, 2015
    @Meeeech_L @FBI @NewYorkFBI @LMFHowell tomorrow is coming and see what happens
    @VickiNovember @HarrietBaldwin @FBI @NewYorkFBI we are ummah el-islam Of prophet mohamed pic.twitter.com/FrymezeomL
    @AmyKremer if any one make thing like Charlie'son of bitch the knife will work pic.twitter.com/lZwlizEkGe

More jihadi boasts and spoutings against President Obama, French President Francois Hollande, and more:
    OBAMA VS SHEIKH ABO BAKR AL-BAGHDADI KHALIFA OF MUSLIMS ALLAH AKBAR ALLAH AKBAR ISIS WILL DOMINATE pic.twitter.com/H2ddYAMsVE
    Listen son of bitch #ohland soon #ISIS will make to you like that pic.twitter.com/bpT1A9NwXU
    Islamic state will dominate and control #ISIS is the source of khilafa pic.twitter.com/q0eKcrY60q
    @enghaitham1989 our man kill murtadeen pic.twitter.com/SiPiPZy3wc
    @Jason_Cross and I'm will make as that to u pic.twitter.com/XuaZ3Kv6YP
    We hope homeland security is awake.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I told him to come on over. I'd buy him his last fucking beer.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Unemployed Ohio man allegedly planned bomb-and-shoot attack on U.S. Capitol

By Ben Brumfield, Pamela Brown and Dana Ford, CNN
    Updated 7:42 AM ET, Thu January 15, 2015

Thwarted terror plots

Story highlights

• A source says the plan posed no threat to lawmakers; the complaint said it was in its late stages
    • Christopher Lee Cornell, 20, allegedly aligned himself with ISIS

(CNN)
    For months, 20-year-old Christopher Lee Cornell had been on the FBI's radar. Authorities said he left alarming posts on social media, talking about violent jihad.

On Wednesday, agents arrested the Cincinnati, Ohio, man before he could put his alleged plot into action.
    This Wednesday Jan. 14, 2015 photo made available by the Butler County Jail shows Christopher Lee Cornell. (AP Photo/Butler County Jail/AP)

Authorities say Cornell, who ostensibly tweeted under the name Raheel Mahrus Ubaydah, hatched a simple scheme. It was similar to the Paris attack on the offices of Charlie Hebdo, but at a key location -- the U.S. Capitol, said a criminal complaint filed by an FBI agent.

The plan: Set off pipe bombs to put lawmakers and employees in panicked flight then gun them down with an assault rifle, as they ran across his path and that of an accomplice, Special Agent T.A. Staderman wrote.

Cornell was ready to go, the agent said.

He had made preparations with a partner. He had researched bomb making instructions and by Wednesday, Cornell had bought two M-15 rifles with 600 rounds of ammunition.

But the man Cornell believed was his partner was in reality an FBI informant, a man in trouble with the law who worked with the agency to improve his legal standing.

When they found out Cornell had the weapons, authorities made their move before Cornell could make his. A law enforcement official told CNN that there was never any danger to lawmakers.

Pounding the door
    Around lunchtime, more than a dozen agents and local police stood at his parents' house, where he had lived.
    "We heard a pound on the door," John Cornell, Lee Cornell's father, told CNN's Anderson Cooper. Had he not opened it, they would have battered it in with a ram, he said.

Alleged Capitol plotter's father: He's a big mama's boy 04:09

He had no idea why they were there, and the officers wouldn't tell him, he said. "They just told us they had a search warrant."

They took the whole family in for questioning. "Where is my son; what is he being charged with?" John Cornell wanted to know.

"They wouldn't tell us anything," he said.

The informant, the plan
    In the fall, the informant told the FBI about someone he had been in touch with via Twitter, the criminal complaint said.
    At the end of August, Cornell had allegedly written him an instant message saying the two of them should carry out a lone wolf attack as a way of supporting ISIS.
    He didn't think ISIS or al Qaeda would give them official sign off, but he felt he didn't need it.

"...we already got a thumbs up from the Brothers over there and Anwar al-Awlaki before his martyrdom and many others," Cornell allegedly wrote.

Al-Awlaki was a U.S.-born radical cleric associated with Yemen's al Qaeda arm. He was killed in a drone attack in 2011, but he seems to have continued influence on would-be terrorists around the world.

Anwar al-Awlaki's influence on terrorism 01:51

Cornell allegedly told the informer that he had been in contact with persons overseas, and that he had aligned himself with ISIS. And he grew closer to the informant.
    "I believe we should meet up and make our own group in alliance with the Islamic State here and plan operations ourselves," Cornell allegedly messaged him.
    The anatomy of ISIS: How it is run

Face to face
    The two met twice in person in Cincinnati, the complaint said -- two days in October and two in November. Cornell researched how to build pipe bombs and saved up money to buy weapons and ammunition, the complaint read.
    His father casts doubt on some aspects of the purchase. Cornell was unemployed and worked only seasonally for minimum wage. He was about $500 short of the money needed to make the purchase on his own.
    "He had $1,287 saved up. These guns cost over $1,700," John Cornell said. He thinks someone else had to make up the difference and blames the FBI. He thinks his son was pushed into the plan.
    Cornell wanted to make his "move" in December, the complaint said. He and the informant posing as his partner were to travel to the Capitol, scout out the location then detonate the bombs and open fire.

Everything to know about the rise of ISIS

Cornell's journey
    In middle school and high school, Cornell had been a wrestler, his father said. After graduation, he lived at home and was unemployed, not yet knowing what he wanted to do. "He very seldom left the house," John Cornell said.
    "He's a big mama's boy, you know. His best friend is his kitty cat. There's no way he could have carried out any kind of terrorist plot," Cornell's father said. "He didn't even drive; he didn't have a car."

'Heck no, there's no way my son was involved with ISIS' 04:10
    PLAY VIDEO

He had recently converted to Islam, which gave him inner peace, John Cornell said.

And he had apparently stopped cutting his beard. On his mugshot at the Butler County Jail, it is long and appears untrimmed.

But an ISIS follower?

"Heck no," John Cornell said. "There's no way my son was involved with ISIS."

Mom will stay in jail until trial on ISIS-related charges

A new friend?
    Cornell made a friend on the Internet, his father believes, and posted comments in defense of Muslims.

"Chris may have said some things out of anger," John Cornell said. But he has a hard time believing he encouraged armed jihad.

His son stayed out with a friend once for two hours.

"I asked him where he had been. He said that he had went to a mosque," John Cornell said.

Then Chris moved out quietly. "I never seen him leave," his father said.

His son left him a note in his former bedroom. It said he had decided to move in with a friend, who had also offered him some work.

Since his son's arrest, he says he and his wife have not heard anything from officials about where Cornell is. They say they love their son more than ever, and that they are heartbroken.

"He may be facing life in prison," John Cornell said. "Do you know how devastating that is?"

CNN's Dave Alsup, Ryan Buckley and Teri Genova contributed to this report.

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

But the man Cornell believed was his partner was in reality an FBI informant, a man in trouble with the law who worked with the agency to improve his legal standing.
    Not that I am suggesting that the FBI did anything wrong here, but sometimes wouldn't it be better to take these guys aside and talk to them to convince them they are walking the wrong path, than to lead them on down the path to terrorism?

I mean, seriously. If this idiot THOUGHT an FBI agent was his "partner" then there was something seriously wrong with the conversations went.

If *I* worked as an informant, and "went along" with the asshole, I'd end up being charged with at the very least, conspiracy.

It just doesn't see kosher (lol, ok, that wasn't called for) for a government agent to pretend to be a partner because you KNOW he said things to egg this guy on.

Just my thinking.

With that said, it's good the stopped him from doing anything like he was planning. But HOW MUCH of that was put into his head by an FBI agent?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

You kidding? That doesn't get you a corner office!

Thanks

Well, you know there's something there about moving up in the world, getting rank, getting reputation points, getting the bad guy... but doing it from a Cop-Ethical point of view.

But, you know, who cares? He stopped the bad guy.

I just think that if you have a kind of a young guy, he can be saved. There are points when they can't be, but mostly then they are immersed in Islam from being a baby and completely indoctrinated.

But American kids NOT brought up (I hope) in that environment... why let them waste themselves?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well, here it comes.

This is the one thing I have personally said will be the down fall of America.

An attack on malls, a few or a lot of them isn't relevant. If it happens, this will give Obama what he wants - the ability to scream for money to ban guns, to lock down the United States, to kick in citizen doors because 'they might be terrorists'.

I URGE every, single American out there to start carrying a weapon.

Concealed or open carry.

What ever is legal for you to do.

And if it is NOT LEGAL for you carry open or concealed then it is up to you to make your own decision to carry or not.

Personally, I will be carrying a weapon from this day on where ever I go, including the malls - but ESPECIALLY the malls, whether it is legal or not.

In this state unless the place has "permanent metal detectors" you can carry in every building except City and Federal buildings. You can't "display" a weapon inside the Sheriff's offices....

Folks it is up to US, every day, normal, law abiding Americans to protect our country. Our lying assed President won't do it.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Somalia extremists urge attacks on U.S. shopping malls

By Tribune wire reports contact the reporter

The masked narrator of the 76-minute video calls on Muslims to attack shopping malls.

A video purported to be by Somalia's al-Qaida-linked rebel group al-Shabab urged Muslims to attack shopping malls in the U.S., Canada, Britain and other Western countries.
    U.S. authorities said there was "no credible" evidence suggesting a U.S. mall attack was in the works.
    The threat by the al-Qaida affiliate came in the final minutes of a more than hourlong video released Saturday in which the extremists also warned Kenya of more attacks like the September 2013 assault on the Westgate Mall in Nairobi in which 67 people were killed.
    The masked narrator concluded by calling on Muslims to attack shopping malls, specifically naming the Mall of America in the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington, as well as the West Edmonton Mall in Canada and the Westfield mall in Stratford, England. The authenticity of the video could not be immediately verified by The Associated Press.
    The FBI and Department of Homeland Security provided local law enforcement agencies and private sector partners with "relevant information regarding the recent al-Shabab propaganda video," DHS press secretary Marsha Catron said in a statement.
    "However, we are not aware of any specific, credible plot against the Mall of America or any other domestic commercial shopping center," Catron said.
    The Bloomington Police Department said additional security measures had been put in place at the Mall of America, one of the largest malls in the nation.
    Speaking earlier on morning talk shows in the U.S., Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson called the video "the new phase" of the global terrorist threat and warned the public to be vigilant.
    "These groups are relying more and more on independent actors to become inspired, drawn to the cause and they'll attack on their own," Johnson said, speaking on CNN's "State of the Union."
    "I am very concerned about serious potential threats of independent actors here in the United States. We've seen this now in Europe, we've seen this in Canada."
    Asked about the specific threat against the Mall of America, Johnson said: "Any time a terrorist organization calls for an attack on a specific place we've got to take that seriously. What we're telling the public is you've got to be vigilant. ... There will be enhanced security there that will be apparent, but public vigilance, public awareness and public caution in situations like this is particularly important."
    In the slickly produced video posted online, a masked man, his face wrapped in a black-and-white kaffiyeh-type scarf and wearing a camouflage jacket, declared: "Westgate was just the beginning." The video included footage from major news organizations showing the assault on the mall and said it was in reprisal for alleged abuses by Kenyan troops against Muslims in Somalia.
    "What if such an attack were to occur in the Mall of America in Minnesota? Or the West Edmonton Mall in Canada? Or in London's Oxford Street?" said the man, who spoke with a British accent and appeared to be of Somali origin.
    The Mall of America said in a statement that it was "aware of a threatening video which includes a mention and images of the mall," and said extra security had been put in place.
    Authorities in Aurora, Illinois, confirmed receiving information from DHS relating to reports of shopping malls as targets.
    "We have received information from the Department of Homeland Security and we are planning accordingly," Dan Ferrelli, media relations manager for the city of Aurora, said Sunday. Ferrelli did not elaborate on the communication from the department or if police presence has been increased at the Westfield Fox Valley mall in Aurora.
    Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton was monitoring the situation and has been in regular contact with the commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety which is coordinating with federal and local law enforcement agencies and the Mall of America "to assure the safety of all Minnesotans," said a statement released by the governor's press secretary Matt Swenson.
    Shoppers seemed undeterred Sunday by the threat.
    "I'm more afraid of the cold today than any terrorists," said Mary Lamminen, of St. Paul.
    David Modrynski said he talked with his wife and son about whether to visit the mall after hearing about the video. "But we can't stop living our lives because somebody says they're going to do something," Modrynski said.
    While al-Shabab has carried out attacks in neighboring Kenya, Uganda and Djibouti, which all have troops fighting the extremists as part of the multinational African Union force, the al-Qaida affiliate has never operated outside East Africa and the Horn of Africa.
    Minnesota, home to the largest Somali population in the U.S., has been the target of terror recruiters in the past. Since 2007, more than 22 young Somali men from Minnesota have traveled to Somalia to join al-Shabab, and a handful of Minnesota residents have also traveled to Syria to fight with militant groups within the last year, authorities say. At least one Minnesotan has died while fighting for the Islamic State group.
    On Thursday, a 19-year-old Minneapolis man who was stopped at a New York City airport in November as he and three others were allegedly attempting to travel to Syria was indicted on charges associated with supporting the Islamic State group.
    Last week U.S. Attorney Andy Luger led a Minnesota delegation, including law enforcement officials and Somali community leaders, to a White House summit on countering extremism and radicalization. In his remarks, Vice President Joe Biden held up Minneapolis, Boston and Los Angeles as examples of communities moving ahead with programs to counter extremism locally.
    In Kenya, the government dismissed the al-Shabab video.
    "They're using propaganda to legitimize what cannot be legitimized. When you lead a group to go and attack a shopping mall and kill innocent shoppers that cannot be legitimized, those were not soldiers," Interior Ministry spokesman Mwenda Njoka said.
    "Muslims also died in the Westgate attack. It's in our interest to ensure Somalia is stabilized because the instability affects us. The video is cheap propaganda trying to re-write history and to get more support from those support them."
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Homeland Security chief: Be 'vigilant' at malls

The head of Homeland Security is urging shoppers to be vigilant after al-Shabaab, a terror group tied to al-Qaeda, named Mall of America among potential targets for attacks. VPC

6305 CONNECT 1105 TWEET 102 LINKEDIN 228 COMMENTEMAILMORE

The secretary of Homeland Security warned shoppers at Minnesota's iconic Mall of America and similar venues to be vigilant in the wake of new terrorist threats.
    "I'm not telling people to not go to the mall," Secretary Jeh Johnson said Sunday on NBC's Meet The Press. "I think that there needs to be an awareness."
    He said, "I'm saying that the public needs to be particularly vigilant."
    Hours later, department spokeswoman Marsha Catron said in a statement, "We are not aware of any specific, credible plot against the Mall of America or any other domestic commercial shopping center.''
    Mall of America heightened security after a video threatening a terror attack was released purportedly by a Somali militant group with ties to al-Qaeda. The group, al-Shabaab, took responsibility for an attack in 2013 at the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya, that left more than 60 people dead.

Security was tightened at the Mall of America on Sunday after it was referenced in a video released by a Somali militant group. Locals reacted to the news with a mix of emotions. VPC

The video released online focused mostly on the conflict between Kenya and Somalia and the Westgate shopping mall attack. The video calls for similar attacks at the Mall of America and elsewhere.
    "If just a handful of mujahedin fighters could bring Kenya to a complete standstill for nearly a week, imagine what a dedicated mujahedin in the West could do to the American or Jewish-owned shopping centers across the world," an unidentified man says on the video.
    "What if such an attack was to occur in the Mall of America in Minnesota? Or the West Edmonton Mall in Canada? Or in London's Oxford Street?" the man says, encouraging supporters to "hurry up, hasten towards heaven and do not hesitate."
    The Mall of America, among the largest shopping malls in the world, employs more than 12,000 people at more than 500 stores and 50 restaurants. It is the world's busiest mall, bringing in more than 40 million visitors annually.
    Mall officials issued a statement saying they take any potential threat seriously.
    "Mall of America has implemented extra security precautions. Some may be noticeable to guests, and others won't be," the statement said. "The safety and security of our guests, employees and tenants remains our top priority."
    Mall spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that mall traffic and activity appeared normal Sunday.
    Nancy Cashion and her daughter, Melanie Isabell, told the newspaper they were in the mall 45 minutes before seeing a uniformed security officer. They were unconcerned by the video threat.
    "There's probably a lot of threats we don't even hear about," Isabell said.
    The FBI and Department of Homeland Security issued a statement Sunday saying U.S. officials were aware of the call for "Westgate-style" attacks against shopping malls in the USA and elsewhere.
    The statement said Homeland Security and the FBI have been working closely with state and local authorities in recent months to "prevent and mitigate these types of threats."
    Al-Shabaab, based in southern Somalia, was declared a terror organization under U.S. law in 2008. The group, which pledged allegiance to al-Qaeda in 2012, took responsibility for an attack Friday targeting government ministers at a Mogadishu hotel. The attack killed 25.
    In 2013, an al-Shabaab video bragged about successes at recruiting Somalis from Minnesota to fight for their case. Minneapolis has a large Somali community.
    Sen Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., told WCCO-TV she was confident the mall was well-protected.
    "We've been in contact with Homeland Security, and I know that everyone is focused on how to best protect the mall," she said. Klobuchar said Minnesota has "been very successful in going after these guys," citing 20 indictments and nine convictions involving al-Shabaab members.
    Johnson, who made appearances on five Sunday shows, said the video threat reflects the militant effort to encourage supporters to conduct attacks in their homelands.
    "We're in a new phase now, and I'm afraid that this most recent video release reflects that," Johnson said on ABC's This Week.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

US shoppers warned after Shebab mall threat

. View gallery

Washington (AFP) - US homeland security chief Jeh Johnson warned shoppers in one of America's biggest malls to be on their guard Sunday after an Islamic militant group posted a video calling for attacks on western malls.
    Related Stories

1. Homeland Security says aware of no credible threat against malls Reuters
    2. Threat of attack draws shrugs at North American malls Reuters
    3. Somalia extremists urge attacks on US shopping malls Associated Press
    4. Terror Group’s Threat to Mall of America Sharpens DHS Funding Debate The Fiscal Times
    5. Homeland Security chief: Budget stall muddies response to IS Associated Press

The warning comes as the US and other nations are increasingly jittery about the threat of "lone wolf" attacks carried out by radicalized people in their home country.
    "I would say that if anyone is planning to go to the Mall of America today, they've got to be particularly careful," Johnson said on CNN's "State of the Union".
    The Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab insurgent group also threatened Canada's massive West Edmonton Mall, London's famous Oxford Street shopping hub and two malls in France: Le Forum des Halles and Les Quatre Temps.
    A US administration official said, however, there was "no indication of a specific, credible threat to the US."
    But attacks in Paris, Copenhagen and Ottawa by homegrown extremists have set security officials on edge, and prompted Washington to sponsor a security summit earlier this week to discuss the threat.
    View gallery

Shoppers walk along Oxford Street in central London on December 26, 2014 (AFP Photo/Andrew Cowie)

Shebab carried out a bloody attack and takeover of a mall in Nairobi in September 2013 that killed at least 67 people.
    In a video distributed on Twitter Saturday, the group ran a documentary-style account of the Kenya attack. It was followed by an appearance by a masked fighter who suggested similar attacks could be carried out on other malls in the United States, Canada, Britain and France.
    "If just a handful of mujahideen fighters could bring Kenya to a complete stand-still for nearly a week, just imagine what the dedicated mujahideen could do in the West to American or Jewish shopping centers across the world," the militant said.
    "What if such an attack were to occur in the Mall of America in Minnesota? Or the West Edmonton Mall in Canada? Or in London's Oxford Street?" he said.
    The video was picked up by SITE, a group that monitors jihadist websites.
    View gallery

Mall of America said it had taken extra security measures in response to the threat by the Shebab (A …

The Mall of America, located in Minnesota and reputedly the country's largest with 40 million visitors a year, said it had taken extra security measures in response to the threat by the Shebab, a Somalia-based insurgent group.
    "Enhanced security measures to include additional personnel have been implemented and all information is being monitored," said the police department for Bloomington, the Minneapolis-St Paul suburb where the shopping center is located.
    "At this time, there is no credible threat associated with Mall of America," it said, adding that the facility was a "very safe place."
    Johnson said the threat was indicative of a new type of homegrown threat and requires careful tracking of people suspected of supporting militant groups.
    "This latest statement from al-Shebab reflects the new phase we've evolved to in the global terrorist threat in that you have groups such as al-Shebab, ISIL, publicly calling for independent actors in their homelands to carry out attacks," said Johnson, who is the US secretary of homeland security.
    View gallery

US homeland security chief Jeh Johnson in Washington, DC, on February 18, 2015 (AFP Photo/Brendan Sm …

"We're beyond the phase now where these groups would send foreign operatives into countries after being trained someplace," he added.
    Johnson said the government has to take it seriously any time a group calls for an attack against a specific place, but he did not say if his department had other specific information about the threat.
    - Funding battle -
    The Department of Homeland Security is in the middle of a funding battle between President Barack Obama and the Republican-controlled Congress.
    Lawmakers have funded all federal departments until the end of the 2015 fiscal year, except for DHS, held up by a Republican attempt to override Obama's decision to defer deportations of millions of undocumented immigrants.
    In his appearances on Sunday television shows, Johnson brought up the funding battle in context of the most recent mall threat.
    "It's all the more reason why I need a budget," Johnson said.
    The department may have to furlough 30,000 people if it doesn't receive funding by the end of the week, and a "skeleton" staff hampers the ability to detect threats, Johnson said.
    "It's absurd that we're even having this conversation about Congress' inability to fund homeland security in these challenging times."
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

But SERIOUSLY now, we don't have to worry about the Mall of America. It is WELL protected by laws and such, you know.... like this.

Mall of America Protected from Jihadist attack by Gun Free Zone Signs
    Posted on February 22, 2015 by Dean Weingarten

By Dean WeingartenGunFreeZoneMallofAmerica
    Dean WeingartenDean Weingarten

Arizona - -(Ammoland.com)- A Somali affiliate of al Qaeda has called for attacks against Western shopping malls, which they see as soft targets. The call for attacks was seen in a video celebrating the attack on the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya. From ibtimes.com:

“If just a handful of mujahedeen [militant jihadists] fighters could bring Kenya to a complete standstill for nearly a week, just imagine what the dedicated mujahedeen could do in the West to American or Jewish shopping centers across the world,” a masked gunman says toward the end of the video. “What if such an attack were to occur in the Mall of America in Minnesota? Or the West Edmonton Mall in Canada? Or in London’s Oxford Street?”

England is notorious for the number of radicalized Muslim immigrants that are in the country, as is Minneapolis, Minnesota, where a large population of Somali Muslims has been imported and resettled by the American government. Edmonton, Canada, also has a significant population of Somali Muslim immigrants from which jihadis are being recruited.

The threats seem credible, but as people are banned from carrying firearms in all three locations, the “gun free zone” signs may provide some protection.

Virtually all of Canada and England are Gun Free Zones, as self defense is not considered a valid reason for citizens to carry guns in those countries. But a crucial difference exists in the United States. The malls in Canada and England lack the protection of gun free zone signs. In comparison, the Mall of America, in Minneapolis, has particularly large and prominent gun free zone signs, as shown above.

While gun free zone signs have failed in a number of locations, it may be that they were not large enough or prominent enough. John Lott, an academic who has studied these shootings, makes this statement.

At some time, people have to recognize that, with just two exceptions, at least since 1950, all the multiple victim public shootings in the United States have taken place where guns are banned. And you see these individuals, they surely act as if they’re trying their best to find areas where victims can’t defend themselves.

But Lott does not examine the effect of the gun ban signs’ prominence or visibility. Could it be that the attackers simply did not know that guns were banned in the area of their planned attack? Wouldn’t the large, highly visible signs at the Mall of America offer more protection? I found this documentary on YouTube:

Link to YouTube Documentary on Gun Free Zones

In spite of Dr. Lott’s research, there have been only 18 documented cases where armed citizens stopped mass murders before the body count grew large.

The most prominent jihadist attack on a mall was the attack on the Westgate mall in Nairobi, Kenya. While guns were banned in the mall, there is no evidence that there were any signs to inform the Jihadis that guns were banned there. It may be that some jihadis cannot read, so signs with the prominent red circle and slash are likely best. As many jihadis like to use AK47 rifles, perhaps a sign with the AK and a red circle and slash would work better, as a jihadi might not understand that a sign showing a pistol being banned would also mean that an AK is not allowed.

After the Westgate attack, the Interpol Secretary General, Ronald Noble, said that we had a choice: either create intense levels of fortress like security for public places, or consider having an armed citizenry. Clearly, he overlooked the potential of bigger and more visible Gun Free Zone signs. From abcnews.go.com:

Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble said today the U.S. and the rest of the democratic world is at a security crossroads in the wake of last month’s deadly al-Shabab attack at a shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya – and suggested an answer could be in arming civilians.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News, Noble said there are really only two choices for protecting open societies from attacks like the one on Westgate mall where so-called “soft targets” are hit: either create secure perimeters around the locations or allow civilians to carry their own guns to protect themselves.

“Societies have to think about how they’re going to approach the problem,” Noble said. “One is to say we want an armed citizenry; you can see the reason for that. Another is to say the enclaves are so secure that in order to get into the soft target you’re going to have to pass through extraordinary security.”

Any evaluation of Mall of America security, in the face of the clear and present danger of a jihadi attack, should take the large and prominent Gun Free Zone signs into account.
    c2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included. Link to Gun Watch

About Dean Weingarten;

Dean Weingarten has been a peace officer, a military officer, was on the University of Wisconsin Pistol Team for four years, and was first certified to teach firearms safety in 1973. He taught the Arizona concealed carry course for fifteen years until the goal of constitutional carry was attained. He has degrees in meteorology and mining engineering, and recently retired from the Department of Defense after a 30 year career in Army Research, Development, Testing, and Evaluation.
    Tagged: Dean Weingarten, Gun Free Zones, Gun Watch, Minnesota4 Comments
    4 thoughts on “Mall of America Protected from Jihadist attack by Gun Free Zone Signs”

Earl says:
    February 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Soft Target by Author Steven Hunter : read it .
    Mike Smith says:
    February 22, 2015 at 3:43 PM

The signs should read: “Law Abiding Concealed Carry Citizens Welcome”, with a red circle and firearm with NO red slash. Under this large font sign would be: “Islamic terrorists starting sh*t here will be capped. Allahu Akbar”
    ssgmarkcr says:
    February 23, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Howdy Dean, there is actually some argument as to whether the MOA can legally post. State law doesn’t allow landlords to post, which is what the mall is, however individual stores can. But the mall runs the security guards and there is a police substation in the mall, and they back up security.
    Worst case, you can get a $25 ticket for trespassing for a first offence and they cant take your firearm. And to be charged, you have to refuse to leave after being asked to.
    Chip says:
    February 23, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Very nice, Dean. Maybe after this fails they’ll have the sign as big as the entire door. With lots of exclamation points. Woo!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name *

Email *

Comment

Home Page | Recent Posts | Most Popular
    Subscribe to Ammoland

Daily Digest
    Monthly Newsletter

Recent Comments

Chip: Very nice, Dean. Maybe after this fails they'll have the sign as big as the entire door. With lots of …
    TEX: Them SOB's in NY are all fu*ked up !
    ssgmarkcr: Howdy Dean, there is actually some argument as to whether the MOA can legally post. State law doesn't allow …
    kikorikid: Oct. 1982 I was packing up for a tour as a US Peace Corps Volunteer to Papua New Guinea. On …
    Dale Lindsey: Besides having their obvious reasons for being, a fresh 9 volt battery and some fine steel wool will aid in …

Tweets about "ammoland"
    SuperTuck Deluxe
    Social Activity
    Most Popular Posts

.223 M855 AmmoATF Framework Logic Would Ban Additional Ammo, Beyond M855, As 'Armor Piercing Ammunition'
    5.56 mm 62 gr NATO Green Tip AmmoContact ATF: Oppose 5.56 M855 Ball Ammunition Ban
    Gordon Van Gilder Antique Flintlock PistolNew Jersey Arrests 72 Year Old For Antique Flintlock Pistol Possession ~ Video
    Glock Hand GunsThe Best Gun For Concealed Carry
    Ruger SP101 357 Mag, 2.25" w/Compact LasergripsFive Best Concealed Carry Revolvers

Drop A Tip

Got news? Send it to AmmoLand.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Then there's Conoy Township. They won't be bothered by ISIS, Boka Haram, or other assholes, including Russia.

Pennsylvania town packs heat, and wants visitors to know it

By Maxim Lott
    FoxNews.com

Facebook0 Twitter0 livefyre3694 Email Print

Signs marking the entry into the central Pennsylvania town of Conoy warn that the population may be armed. (Courtesy: Stephen Mohr)

Drive into tiny Conoy Township, Pa., and you'll see the standard "welcome" sign, but it also comes with a warning: "THIS IS NOT A GUN FREE ZONE."
    The signs are meant to alert criminals to the fact that many people in the rural Pennsylvania town of 3,000 are armed. A dozen have been installed so far and three more are slated to go up, which would cover every major road into the town. Officials hope the signs give would-be criminals second thoughts before causing trouble.
    “I think even those who have bad intentions can read,” Stephen Mohr, one of the township supervisors, told FoxNews.com. He said the town’s five supervisors unanimously decided to put the signs up.
    "What we’re telling people is that when they do come here, they should feel safer knowing that everyone in the township is watching out for them."- Stephen Mohr, township supervisor, Conoy, Pa.
    Mohr noted that the intent of the signs is to welcome good people to their town.
    “The first word on there is “Welcome”… we have a lot here that we take pride in. What we’re telling people is that when they do come here, they should feel safer knowing that everyone in the township is watching out for them,” Mohr said. “And the criminal -- he should realize that going into this township he could have a bad day.”
    But critics say the signs are unnecessary, and unlikely to send the message Mohr claims to be imparting.
    “These signs are silly, because the Second Amendment guarantees the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens anywhere to own guns in their homes," said Jonathan Hutson, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "As a matter of fact, no jurisdiction in America completely prohibits the carrying of guns in public.”
    And despite the announcement that the townsfolk may be armed, there are still places within where guns are prohibited, noted Shira Goodman, executive director of Cease Fire PA.
    "Are there no schools in this town?" Goodman asked. "How about U.S. post offices? What about private business owners or houses of worship who choose to bar firearms from their property?
    “The intent seems to be to scare those who might consider criminal activity," Goodman added. "The likely effect will be to embolden a shoot first, Wild West mentality."
    Mohr said residents are free to have to their own rules about guns, and the township follows federal and state policies regarding guns in post offices and schools. The signs, he said, refer to the fact that the township government welcomes the carrying of guns in the belief it promotes safety. A member of the National Rifle Association, he also seems to be sending a message of his support for the Second Amendment.
    “Those people that need to wake up and realize that the right to carry a gun in a lot of areas have already been curtailed,” he said, noting that other jurisdictions, including New York City, put the onus on residents to show a “special need” in order to carry guns.
    Economists who study crime said it will be interesting to see whether crime in the town is affected by the signs.
    “My guess is that this may… lead a small number of people to reconsider committing criminal acts, but the signs are unlikely to provide so much new information [about the town] that they result in a large reduction in crime,” David Mustard, an economics professor at the University of Georgia, told FoxNews.com.
    Residents of the town reached by FoxNews.com had mixed views.
    “I guess it’s a good idea. But it’s going to take more than just a sign -- I don’t think that would deter a hardened criminal,” Lyle Rider, who runs BMA Cycles in the township, told FoxNews.com.
    “It doesn’t bother me… whether it’ll be a crime deterrent or not, I don’t know,” Mark Brosey, who works at Brosey’s Garage in the township, told FoxNews.com.
    At least one other U.S. town is considering copying Conoy's idea.
    “If you were a thief breaking into homes and businesses, would you choose a city that openly endorses the ownership and training of guns to protect persons and property?” Greenleaf, Idaho, Mayor Brad Holton told FoxNews.com. His town will consider posting such signs at a city council meeting in March.
    Libertatem Prius!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Breaking: FBI Arrests Two Women Radicalized By Islamists Planning To Detonate Bomb In NYC Breaking News @Breaking911

Follow
    #BREAKING: Federal Authorities Have Arrested 2 Women Planning To Detonate a Bomb In #NYC Area After Being Radicalized by ISIS -@ABC
    8:56 AM - 2 Apr 2015

27 Retweets 3 favorites

Via NY Times:

Two female roommates in Queens have been charged with planning to build a bomb that they wanted to detonate in the United States.

The roommates, Noelle Velentzas, 28, and Asia Siddiqui, 31, both United States citizens, were named in a complaint unsealed on Thursday in Federal District Court in Brooklyn.

Ms. Siddiqui “is currently in possession of multiple propane gas tanks, as well as instructions for how to transform propane tanks into explosive devices,” the complaint reads.

The women appeared to be interested in jihad and had been communicating with Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula personnel. They also watched videos of ISIS beheadings, according to the complaint.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Oh good grief. Just because someone has propane tanks and the instructions on how to convert them into bombs doesn't MEAN they are going to make bombs!

lol

(Does it? LOL)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Adam Gadahn has been killed.

Along with hostages.

President about to speak about this. I suspect he's about to apologize for killing the terrorists....

2 Qaeda Hostages Were Accidentally Killed in U.S. Strike, White House Says

By PETER BAKER

Continue reading the main story

WASHINGTON — The White House acknowledged on Thursday that two hostages held by Al Qaeda were accidentally killed in an American government counterterrorism operation in January and said President Obama “takes full responsibility.”

In an extraordinary statement, the White House said intelligence agencies had confirmed that Warren Weinstein, an American held by Al Qaeda since 2011, and Giovanni Lo Porto, an Italian held since 2012, died during the operation.

“The operation targeted an al-Qaeda-associated compound, where we had no reason to believe either hostage was present, located in the border region of Afghanistan and Pakistan,” the statement said. “No words can fully express our regret over this tragedy.”
    Two other Americans who belonged to Al Qaeda, Ahmed Farouq and Adam Gadahn, were also killed in American operations in the same region, the statement said. Neither had been specifically targeted and their presence at the sites of the operations was not known at the time, the statement said.

Mr. Obama will make a personal statement in the White House briefing room at 10 a.m., aides said.

“The president directed that the information being shared today, which was properly classified until now, be declassified and shared with the American people,” the White House statement said. “He takes full responsibility for these operations and believes it is important to provide the American people with as much information as possible about our counterterrorism operations, particularly when they take the lives of fellow citizens.”

The White House said the operation that killed the two hostages “was lawful and conducted consistent with our counterterrorism policies” but nonetheless the government is conducting a “thorough independent review” to determine what happened and how such casualties could be avoided in the future.

“Many within our government spent years attempting to locate and free Dr. Weinstein and Mr. Lo Porto,” the statement said. “The pain of their deaths will remain with us as we rededicate ourselves to adhering to the most exactly standards in doing all we can to protect the American people.”
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information