Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrorism here in the US

Thanks

Default Re: Terrorism here in the US

Explosives stolen from Rock of Ages quarry
    Aggregate Research Newsletter ^ | 08/08/08 | Aggregate Research

BETHEL, Vermont) -- The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the Vermont State Police are investigating the theft of explosives from a granite quarry in the town of Bethel.

Police say the theft occurred overnight Wednesday at the Rock of Ages quarry.

The investigation has shown that the suspects broke in through a locked gate and then broke into several buildings.

Police says that in addition to explosives, the suspects stole power equipment.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the state police in Royalton.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Be vigilant, be prepared.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...161962,00.html

U.S. Terror Attack — 'Ninety Days at Most'
    Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Counterterrorism expert Juval Aviv spoke with FOX Fan Central about what Americans can do to protect themselves in case of a terror attack.

Do you believe another terrorist attack is likely on American soil?

I predict, based primarily on information that is floating in Europe and the Middle East, that an event is imminent and around the corner here in the United States. It could happen as soon as tomorrow, or it could happen in the next few months. Ninety days at the most.

What advice do you have for individuals that have the misfortune of finding themselves in the middle of a terror attack?

Since mass transportation is the next attack, when you travel to work have with you, a bottle of water, a small towel and a flashlight. What happened in London is exactly a point to look at. Those people who were close to the bombs died, then others were injured or died from inhaling the toxic fumes or getting trampled. The reason you take a bottle of water and a towel is that if you wet the towel and put it over your face, you can protect yourself against the fumes and get yourself out of there.Don't be bashful. If your gut feeling tells you when you walk onto a bus there is something unusual or suspicious, get out and walk away.

You may do it 10 times for no reason, but there will be one time that saves your life. Let your sixth sense direct you.

Try to break your routine. If you travel during rush hour every day, try to get up a little earlier and drive to work or take the train when it’s still not full. Don’t find yourself every day in the midst of rush hour. Terrorists are not going to waste a bomb on a half-empty train.

What portion of the American infrastructure do you believe is at the greatest risk for a terror attack?

We have put all of our emphasis, right or wrong, on the aviation area. What has happened, in the last two to three years, based on information we have, is the terrorists have realized that they cannot hijack a plane in America soon because the passengers are going to fight back. So they realize what they have been very successful with over the last 50 years in Madrid, London, Iraq, Israel: demoralizing the public when they go to work and when they come back from work.

What they’re going to do is hit six, seven or eight cities simultaneously to show sophistication and really hit the public. This time, which is the message of the day, it will not only be big cities. They’re going to try to hit rural America. They want to send a message to rural America: "You’re not protected. If you figured out that if you just move out of New York and move to Montana or to Pittsburgh, you’re not immune. We’re going [to] get you wherever we can and it’s easier there than in New York."

What more do you think the government can do to protect the public?

Number one, and this is the beef I’ve had with Homeland Security for the last four years, is educating the public on how to deal with those types of events. There’s no education. We’re raising the color code alert and that means nothing to anyone. Whether it’s green, yellow, pink, no one ever educated the public how to identify suspicious items or people. In Israel, so many of them [terrorists] have been apprehended just because people have phoned in. We don’t have that training on campuses, schools or kindergarten.

In Israel, it’s very popular right now [amongst terrorists] to put one device to explode and time another one for five minutes later when it’s all calm, people are getting up and the rescue teams have responded. You need to know all those things and think about those things. The government must pursue that. Law enforcement will never have enough people on the street to detect things. We don’t have that kind of manpower. That’s why the government must enlist the public.

Juval Aviv is a former Israeli Counterterrorism Intelligence Officer and President and CEO of Interfor, Inc. Mr. Aviv has also served as a special consultant to the U.S. Congress on issues of terrorism and security and is the author of “Staying Safe : The Complete Guide to Protecting Yourself, Your Family, and Your Business.”

Thanks

Hmmmmmmmmmm
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Man Dead, Large Amount Of Possible Cyanide Found

DENVER (CBS4) ― It has the makings of international intrigue. Less than two weeks before the Democratic National Convention a man has been found dead in a Denver hotel room with a container of what authorities initially suspect to be the deadly poison cyanide.

Adding to the intrigue is that the dead man, Saleman Abdirahman Dirie, 29, appears to be from outside the U.S. No passport was found on Dirie, who is believed to have entered the country from Canada.

A large container of a white powdery substance was found in the man's room on the fourth floor of The Burnsley Hotel at 10th Avenue and Grant Street.

Tests are now being done by the Denver Police Crime Lab to determine exactly what the substance is. The tests could take days.

It's believed Dirie died from something other than the substance that was in the container.

Denver police are leading the investigation of the man's death. The FBI and other governmental agencies, including the Joint Terrorism Task Force, are assisting in the probe. Hazardous materials assistance has included the Colorado State Patrol and the Colorado National Guard.

"Our Joint Terrorism Task Force is involved in this simply because the victim here is from another country and it just kind of makes sense that our terrorism guys would take a look a look at this," FBI Special Agent in Charge James Davis said.

Davis told CBS 4 that nothing so far has been found to link the case to terrorism or the coming convention.

"I don't see how anybody could do anything but look into the possibility that this is a potential terrorist attack," said Dr. Andrew Ternay, a Department of Defense contractor.

Ternay has worked with the Pentagon for 25 years. He's published text books and written "The Language of Nightmares" which is a glossary of all things deadly, including cyanide.

"The very first thought that came to my mind was murder, or somebody who's got to kill an awful lot of rodents because years ago cyanide used to be used to kill rats and roaches," said Ternay. "A tablespoon would be enough to kill you. Less actually."

Authorities said The Burnsley Hotel is safe and is open for business.

Cyanide can be made from plants in very small amounts. It can be a gas, liquid or powder. It prevents the body from using oxygen and therefore is more harmful to the heart and brain than other organs.

"It was used in concentration camps in World War II and by Saddam Hussein against the Kurds in the 1990s," CBD4 Medical Editor Dr. Dave Hnida said. "And put it in a little capsule, it is in fact used as a suicide pill just like you see in the movies."

Officials said cyanide can be used as a terrorist weapon if it is dumped in water put in food, sprayed as a gas, or many other methods.

Ternay said the question with cyanide is how pure it is. If the powder is only 10 percent cyanide, it is not nearly as lethal.

Ternay said cyanide can be easy to get if you want a quarter of a pound. Filling out some paperwork is all that is required to order it.

Larger amounts of 50 pounds or more are tougher to come by.

http://cbs4denver.com/local/burnsley....2.793573.html

Jag

Thanks

I think you're correct in placing that info in this thread, Jag, even though it is not being categorized as having anything to do w/ terrorism. The convention is coming up here in Denver, after all.

I was reading at Little Green Footballs last night and there is a post on a blog that one of lgf readers found which Charles said MAY be from this dead guy in response to a piece posted about Muslim Somali terrorists killing Somali Christians...

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/

Please don’t talk sh*t , that man deserves what happened to him , simply because having the bible in one hand , and a bread in the other hand , is not a correct thing ,! Kill Them , Kill them , Kill them , that is my massage,!
    Comment by Abdirahman Dirie — July 11, 2008 @ 10:33 pm
    http://vimto1.wordpress.com/2007/01/...log-abandoned/

I find it interesting, in any case, that there is a prior post to that one that needs some translation which has a similar name:
    waxaan ahay nin dhawaan soo galay beesha ciise waad mahad santihiin
    Comment by abdiraman — May 22, 2008 @ 5:28 pm
    And then, again interestingly, there is a new post by this guy, Abdirahman Dirie, just posted today, with no other posts for a month, With no posts for a month, what does "it sure is hot in here! mean?
    Allahu Akbar! It sure is hot in here!
    Comment by Abdirahman Dirie — August 13, 2008 @ 12:18 pm
    This may not be connected in any way to the dead man in Denver, but I thought it a good idea to make note of it here. One thing is for certain, that is a posted Islamic war cry, a usual threat prior to a violent attack. Well, of course, it could be a stupid sick joke; but if that is the case, I would think that his IP addy is going to bring him face to face with some FBI investigation.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:

Thanks

Naw... it has folks from terrorism task force involved... whatever. LOL!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Powder in hotel weighed one pound (Denver cyanide story followup)
    Denver Post ^ | 8-13-08 | Felisa Cardona and Joey Bunch

Authorities are testing a pound of a granular substance found inside an upscale Denver hotel room to determine if it is cyanide.

A Canadian national was found dead on Monday inside room 408 of the Burnsley Hotel.

The Denver Coroner's Office has not completed the autopsy of 29-year-old Saleman Abdirahman Dirie.

The FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force is assisting Denver police with the investigation.

"You have a suspicious substance that was found in a hotel room in conjunction with person being a foreign national and we have a lot of questions and that is why we are assisting," said Denver FBI spokeswoman Kathy Wright.

Authorities are trying to determine why Dirie was in Denver and how and when he got into the United States.

Wright did not say that the case appeared to be related to terrorism or the Democratic National Convention.

(Excerpt) Read more at denverpost.com ...
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks
    Last edited by Aplomb; August 14th, 2008 at 05:18. Reason: trying to post the video
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:

Thanks

Here's an update. We'll see what happens in less than 2 weeks. Yikes.

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/u...er-hotel-room/

UPDATE: An autopsy is now complete on a 29-year-old Ottawa man found dead in a Denver hotel room on Monday.

Although Denver police haven’t yet said how Saleman Abdirahman Dirie died, authorities told reporters they found one pound of sodium cyanide near his body.The pound of sodium cyanide found in a hotel room Monday is potent enough to have killed close to 1,000 people, according to an expert in deadly chemicals and counter-terrorism.

“You have a suspicious substance that was found in a hotel room in conjunction with a person being a foreign national, and we have a lot of questions and that is why we are assisting,” said Denver FBI spokeswoman Kathy Wright. Authorities were trying to determine why Dirie, 29, was in Denver and how and when he got into the United States.

“There is not necessarily more of a concern, but it is something we are aware of and how close the DNC is,” Wright said. “We want to make sure we do everything we can to find out the unknown.”

And they should be, according to Dr. Andrew Ternay, a chemist at the University of Denver and the director of the Rocky Mountain Center for Homeland Defense.

“A pound of cyanide would kill hundreds of people,” Ternay said. “It depends on, do you breathe it in? Does it get on your skin? That makes all the difference in the world. Sitting in a bag, it does nothing. But if you get it on your skin, it’ll go through the pores of your skin and kill you.”

Police say it appears Dirie was dead for several days before his body was found in room 408 of the Burnsley Hotel in downtown Denver, located about four blocks from the State Capitol.

The FBI and the U.S. government’s anti-terrorism agency are assisting in the investigation.

“Our joint services task force is involved in this simply because the victim here is from another country and it just kind of makes sense that our terrorism guys take a look at this,” FBI special agent James Davis told the local CBS News television station in Denver.

Ottawa’s Somali community in shock
    Meanwhile, members of Ottawa’s Somali community, which Dirie belonged to, are in shock after learning of his death.

“I don’t know what happened. The community don’t know what happened but I think the community do care. One of their members who travelled to Denver lost his life there,” Abdirizak Karod told CTV Ottawa on Wednesday, adding that Dirie’s family left for Denver immediately after learning of his death.

Police are now waiting on toxicology results to determine how Dirie died and whether cyanide played a role in his death.

Thanks

Ya THINK Mr. T? Should have stayed in the running, you might have had a decent shot at it.

Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership (Fred Thompson)
    Town Hall ^ | 14 August 2008 | Fred Thompson

My mind goes back to August 2002 in Tbilisi, as I visited Georgia with John McCain. I remember it feeling rather dark and secretive, with the former-Soviet Union’s heavy hand still making its presence felt. President Eduard Shevardnadze, formerly Soviet minister of foreign affairs, presented a friendlier face to the United States, but was beset by economic problems and corruption charges. At the time I did not fully appreciate the power of the democratic impulses that were just beginning to bubble up and would lead to the democratic Georgian government we now see threatened.

What has happened in Georgia since that time should not be surprising to anyone. Certainly Russia has tried to pretty itself up: it renamed the KGB and even gave its 21st century strongman Vladimir Putin a new title.

But for some time we’ve seen Russia sliding back to its authoritarian comfort zone. Murder, imprisonment and property confiscation are back in vogue for any perceived troublemaker. Former Soviet provinces have faced all forms of intimidation, from thuggish trade shakedowns to cyber attacks that shut down communications with the outside world. And whether a former satellite like Poland or a longtime western ally like Germany, Russia has made overt threats over plans to bring eastern European countries into NATO or to deploy a U.S.-provided missile defense system.

Russia is not above using anything at its disposal to make its point. It is a wealthy nation, built on a petro-economy that provides oil and gas to dependent European nations, which are petrified of having their energy supplies disrupted and are now in their own economic doldrums.

(Excerpt) Read more at townhall.com ...
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://cbs4denver.com/local/Saleman.....2.795759.html

Denver Coroner Says Cyanide Killed Man In Hotel

DENVER (AP) ― The Denver coroner says a man found dead in a hotel room with a pound of highly toxic sodium cyanide nearby died from cyanide poisoning.

The cause of death was announced Thursday, but authorities haven't determined whether Saleman Abdirahman Dirie, 29, committed suicide in his hotel room at the Burnsley Hotel, located at 10th and Grant.

Police say they don't suspect foul play, but officials have not said why Dirie had the poison or why he was in Denver, where the Democratic National Convention starts in less than 2 weeks.

Dirie, of Ottawa, was found dead Monday. Acquaintances say the Dirie family came from Somalia and are now Canadian citizens.

The Somali Justice Advocacy Center in St. Paul, Minn., says connecting Dirie's death to terrorism "is a rush to judgment."

U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey said Thursday terrorism couldn't be ruled out, but that it was not indicated in the investigation.

"We're looking at the case and obviously we need to check on what his ties were or not and what his personal background was," Mukasey said.

Mukasey was in Denver Thursday to meet with leaders of the Metro Gang Task Force. He announced $17 million will be distributed to U.S. attorneys' offices across the country to fight gang violence. (© 2008 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Thanks

by the way, in Canada they are calling it a terrorism investigation...

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/st...9-5f9820977c0d

U.S. terrorism probe centres on Ottawa man dead from cyanide
    Brendan Kennedy
    Canwest News Service

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The mysterious death of an Ottawa man in a Denver hotel is now the subject of a terrorism investigation.

Saleman Abdirahman Dirie, 29, was found dead in a room at the Burnsley Hotel in downtown Denver on Monday morning, less than two weeks before the Democratic National Convention takes place in the Colorado city. The hotel is about four blocks from the State Capitol building.

A coroner's investigation found indications of cyanide poisoning, Denver police detective John White told the Ottawa Citizen on Tuesday.

According to news reports from Denver, a large container of a white powdery substance was found in Dirie's room on the fourth floor of the Burnsley Hotel.

Tests are now being done by the Denver Police Crime Lab to determine what the substance is. The tests could take days.

The FBI and other governmental agencies, including the Joint Terrorism Task Force, are assisting in the probe. The FBI has told the Denver Post there was no reason yet to suspect terrorism.

The man did not have a passport, but Denver police identified him as a Canadian from Ottawa. Dirie is not known to have family in Ottawa and the RCMP could not be reached for comment.

In spite of the coroner's findings, Det. White said police have found no indications of foul play. He could not say who reported Dirie's body to police, nor whether he was travelling with anyone else.

A manager at The Burnsley Hotel refused to answer any questions about Dirie and referred all calls to the general manager, who was unavailable.

According to police, four people who had initially touched the man were decontaminated as a precaution. Five occupied rooms on the fourth floor were evacuated and the guests were moved to another floor.

No other hotel guests or employees became ill, and the contamination has not been found elsewhere in the hotel, Denver police said.

Jason Ford, general manager of the 17-story Burnsley hotel, told reporters Tuesday he had no comment on Dirie, including how long he had stayed at the hotel.

"We always protect the privacy of all our guests," he said.

With files from Mohammed Adam

© Ottawa Citizen 2008

Thanks

excerpts:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...c-e99d8a77e9c6

Cyanide victim 'not a terrorist': family

Ottawa man with schizophrenia was in Denver on a vacation, sister says

Andrew Seymour, Andrew Duffy, Gary Dimmock and Neco, The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Thursday, August 14, 2008
    OTTAWA - An Ottawa man whose mysterious death in a Denver hotel room is under investigation by the FBI was diagnosed with schizophrenia three years ago, his family revealed yesterday.

Preliminary autopsy results show Saleman Abdirahman Dirie, 29, may have died from exposure to cyanide, a rapidly acting chemical described by one expert as "the ideal terrorist weapon."

Denver police confirmed yesterday that the jar of white powder found in Mr. Dirie's hotel room contained sodium cyanide, the crystal form of the chemical.

The incident has raised disturbing new security concerns on the eve of the Democratic National Convention, which is to open in Denver on Aug. 25. The convention will officially nominate Illinois Senator Barack Obama as the party's presidential candidate.

In Ottawa, Mr. Dirie's sister told the Citizen that her brother suffered from mental illness, and she angrily rejected any suggestion that he was tied to terrorism or had any intention of harming Mr. Obama.

"He was not a terrorist," said the sister, who declined to give her name. "We don't want to hear that word, it hurts us. It is against our religion."

Her brother, she said, had travelled alone to Colorado for a vacation. The family, she said, was devastated to learn that he had died in his Denver hotel room.

"He was just going on a trip," his sister said.

"He just told us he wanted to go on a vacation and then we heard our brother had died," the sister said.

Mr. Dirie's sister said her brother had been doing well since he began receiving treatment for his illness at the Royal Ottawa Hospital about three years ago.

"He was fine. He was just a normal person."

Her brother was taking his medication regularly when he left Ottawa, she said, and was not suicidal. She did not know how or why he would have come in contact with cyanide.

A Canadian citizen, Mr. Dirie had lived in Ottawa for 13 years. His family arrived as refugees from Somali when he was 17.

At the Dirie family home yesterday, his grieving mother was comforted by friends and close relatives, who described Mr. Dirie as a "good guy." He had studied hard at university, they said, before complications from diabetes forced him out of school.

He subsequently spent a lot of time alone, they said, often reading books and watching television. He never got into trouble with the law, according to friends, family and police.

A few weeks ago, Mr. Dirie said he was feeling pretty good and announced that it was time to take a summer vacation. For some reason, he decided on Denver.

"He wanted a summer vacation and said he'd be back sometime," one relative said.

The FBI has joined the Denver police investigation.

Special Agent Kathy Wright said the bureau wants to know what Mr. Dirie was doing with sodium cyanide in his hotel room.

"That in itself raises a lot of questions, so we're investigating that," she told the Citizen yesterday.

Agent Wright cautioned, however, that investigators have no reason to believe the incident has any connection to terrorism or to the Democratic National Convention.

"We don't have any information this is related to the DNC," she said, "but that comes to mind because it is only a week and a half away."

The RCMP confirmed yesterday that it has been contacted by U.S. authorities for assistance in the investigation, but an official spokesman refused to detail the kind of information being sought.

"I can only tell you we are assisting the U.S. authorities at their request," said Cpl. Pat Flood.

Members of Ottawa's Somali community expressed surprise that Mr. Dirie's death is now the subject of so much concern among U.S. authorities.

"It's a tragic story: this is a good family," said Abdirizak Karod, executive director of the Somali Centre for Family Services.

He said the Somali community in Ottawa holds no radical Islamist elements. "It's not our culture," said Mr. Karod, who knows Mr. Dirie's brother, Hassan, and once met Saleman.

The police, he said, should reveal what quantity of poison was found in Mr. Dirie's room since a small amount would seem to pose little danger.

In a 2006 article published in the Journal of Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, Dr. Mark Keim, of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, warned that "the characteristics of cyanide are those of the ideal terrorist weapon."

"Cyanide has a long history of use as a murder weapon, terrorist weapon and weapon of war as well as an agent of suicide and attempted genocide," he wrote.

In 2001, he noted, four Moroccan men were arrested for their role in a plot to poison the U.S. embassy's water supply with sodium cyanide. In 1978, more than 900 people died after ingesting cyanide-laced Kool-Aid in Jonestown, Guyana, where the Rev. Jim Jones had established a commune.

In its crystal form, cyanide can be introduced into the water supply or into food, Dr. Keim said, and does not require specialized skills to handle.

Thanks

Excerpt:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...1&provider=top

Federal officials have told NBC News that Dirie, apparently mixed the sodium cyanide with water and drank it. Traces of cyanide were found in a glass next to the man's bed, the official says.

The same official also says the almond smell, commonly associated with cyanide poisoning, was strong when the coroner performed the autopsy.

This could suggest the man took a large quantity of the powder before his body was found on Monday. Investigators believe this may indicate he knew very little about cyanide since only a small amount is needed to kill a person.

Thanks

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,403982,00.html

Terrorism Investigated in Case of Somali-Born Man Found Dead With Cyanide in Denver Hotel

Thursday, August 14, 2008

FBI terrorism experts are investigating whether the death of a Somali-born Canadian citizen — whose body was found Monday in a Denver hotel room with about a pound of extremely toxic sodium cyanide — is connected to the upcoming Democratic National Convention.

An FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force has been sent to Denver, although Special Agent Kathy Wright said there's no information to conclude that Saleman Abdirahman Dirie had terrorist ties, the Rocky Mountain News reported.

While local law enforcement officials tried to downplay the incident, stressing that there was no sign of foul play in the death of Dirie, a Defense Department contractor said it's likely a terror plot could have been in the works, considering the toxicity and reported amount of cyanide found with the 29-year-old from Ottawa.

"I don't see how anybody could do anything but look into the possibility that this is a potential terrorist attack," Dr. Andrew Ternay told CBS 4 News in Denver.

snip...

Sodium cyanide is commercially available and commonly found in rat poison and used to extract fold and other precious metals. When inhaled or ingested, the chemical prevents the body from processing oxygen. It can also be mixed with certain acids to produce extremely lethal cyanide gas, according to the Department of Justice.

In July, a person calling himself "Abdirahman Dirie" posted an online comment with a blog that discussed the killing of Christians by Islamic Courts and Islamists in Somalia. It was not known whether it was the same person as the Dirie found dead in Denver.

"Please on't [sic] talk sh—t, that man [the Christian blogger] deserves what happened to him, simply because having the bible in one hand, and a bread in the other hand, is not a correct thing,! Kill Them, Kill them, Kill them, that is my massage [sic],!" — comment by Abdirahman Dirie, July 11, 2008 @10:33 p.m.

Thanks

Good thing he was just some good Canadian with a nice family, and a supportive community and a peaceful religion. Too bad about that mental illness that caused him to hear voices telling him to try out the stuff to make sure it works. Oh, but hold on, don't these nice men typically have a cell, er, group of friends. I'm making a funny on one very serious matter. I'm still betting in less than two weeks Denver is in for a "God is great!" demonstration. The whole thing smells, including being in a high-priced hotel in Denver for a vacation.
    Last edited by Aplomb; August 15th, 2008 at 00:10. Reason: I added to it.

Thanks

I'm a little curious about this also, it may not be anything, but it is an interesting coincidence. And yes, I'm sure this makes me sound like a conspiracy nut. Anyway--

http://cbs4denver.com/local/burnsley....2.795092.html
    DENVER (AP/CBS4) An advocacy group for Somali immigrants has cautioned against linking terrorism to a man found dead in a Denver hotel with a pound of highly toxic sodium cyanide in his room...The Somali Justice Advocacy Center in St. Paul, Minn., said Thursday that connecting Dirie's death to terrorism "is a rush to judgment."
    At first I just figured nothing new, that's what they all say. Yet I was also thinking it was strange that the group saying something in his defense is from the USA, and not Canada. This led to some digging. Here is quite an interesting find. Maybe that advocacy group really knows something, maybe this explains how he could afford a stay at that hotel, maybe this is a huge puzzle piece, and perhaps he wasn't the only person in that room, (not to mention that there were reportedly 2 bottles of substance found in the room and no clarification on what was in both of them) ...as not too far away from that St. Paul group, there is something going on in Minneapolis ... http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle.../12840801.html

(excerpt)
    U of M's cyanide research paying off

An idea that sat dormant for years is now touted as a potential lifesaver in the event of a mass terrorist attack.
    By MAURA LERNER, Star Tribune
    Last update: December 27, 2007 - 12:03 AM

In the early 1990s, Prof. Herbert T. Nagasawa came up with an idea for a new, fast-acting antidote to cyanide poisoning.

But the University of Minnesota chemist couldn't find anyone willing to pay for the research. So he filed it away.

Now, at age 80, he's finally started to see his idea pay off.

In research featured in today's issue of the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Nagasawa and several colleagues found that his discovery, a new type of drug, works faster and may be more effective than existing cyanide antidotes.

It has only been tested in mice, but if they can prove it works in people just as well, it could go a long way toward meeting a Defense Department goal of a "three minute solution" for mass casualties in a cyanide attack.

and another excerpt:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1946938/posts

The antidote was tested on animals and has been exceptionally effective, Patterson said. Researchers hope to begin human clinical trials during the next three years.

The antidote is also unique because it can be taken orally (current antidotes must be given intravenously) and may be administered up to an hour prior to cyanide exposure.
    Last edited by Aplomb; August 15th, 2008 at 05:17. Reason: added green to separate opinion from quote

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aplomb View Post
    DENVER (AP/CBS4) An advocacy group for Somali immigrants has cautioned against linking terrorism to a man found dead in a Denver hotel with a pound of highly toxic sodium cyanide in his room...The Somali Justice Advocacy Center in St. Paul, Minn., said Thursday that connecting Dirie's death to terrorism "is a rush to judgment."
    Rush to judgement?

Some body give me a call when they finally decide what "terrorism" means.

Sheesh...

Thanks

Ummm folks, I decided what terrorism is for myself. This guy was a terrorist.

Here's what he did.

He obtained a large quantity and was going to put it into some supply someplace the day he killed himself.

But before hand he decided he'd ensure that he would die when the authorities took him into custody and thus to prevent falling into the hands of the authorities he took a drink of his poison in the hopes he'd finish his job.

He misread the amount and mistook "a teaspoonfull" for a "teacup full".

Simple. Case closed.

He was a fkin terrorist.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://www.foxnews.com/urgent_queue/...2fa,2008-08-19
    herridge: update on denver cyanide death
    Tuesday, Aug. 19 2008

an fbi spokeswoman confirms to fox that they are still actively involved in investigation of a 29 year old Canadian Immigrant of Somali descent who was found dead in a Denver hotel last week. the fbi says they now know where he got the cyanide found in his hotel but the fbi is not releasing the information at this time because it may hamper its investigatin.
    in addition, the fbi tells fox that Saleman Abdirahman Dirie did have ties to the Somali community in Denver.
    At this time, the fbi is saying "no information ties Dirir to the DNC or to terrorism."

Thread Information