Thread: Star Trek: 11

Thanks

Default Star Trek: 11

AP
    Nimoy to Reprise Spock in 11th Star Trek
    Friday July 27, 8:45 am ET
    By Sandy Cohen, AP Entertainment Writer

Leonard Nimoy to Reprise His Spock Role in Upcoming 'Star Trek' Film
    SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Leonard Nimoy isn't through with Spock yet.

The 76-year-old actor will don his famous pointy ears again to play the role in an upcoming "Star Trek" film due out Christmas 2008 from Viacom's Paramount Pictures division.

"This is really going to be a great movie. And I don't say things like that lightly," Nimoy told a gathering of 6,500 fans Thursday at Comic-Con, the nation's largest pop-culture convention.
    He greeted the crowd with a Vulcan salute.

Nimoy was joined by the newly named young Spock, "Heroes" star Zachary Quinto, who bears an uncanny resemblance to Nimoy.

Both Spocks were introduced by the film's director and co-producer, J.J. Abrams.

"This is a series I loved as a kid," Abrams said, acknowledging that he was "more of a 'Star Wars' kid than a 'Star Trek' kid."

"This matters so much to so many people," he said. "I'm honored to be here and do this."

While the character of Captain Kirk has yet to be cast, Abrams said that William Shatner, who played the role in the original TV series, would likely also have a part in the 11th Star Trek film.

"It has to be worthy, of him and of you," Abrams told fans, adding that production is slated to begin in November.

One fan asked Nimoy what he thought of his "replacement."

"It was logical," the actor said dryly. He then closed with Spock's classic line: "Live long and prosper."
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Banned
    Thanks

Default Re: Star Trek: 11

Cool. Zachary Quinto is a dead ringer for a young "Spock" in my opinion.

The funny thing is he does not look like any of the young "Spock" characters in Star Trek III - The Search For Spock (ST3-TSFS).

Those variously aged "Spock" characters and the actors who played the parts were:

Carl Steven wasSpock at 9
    Vadia Potenza wasSpock at 13
    Stephen Manley wasSpock at 17
    Joe W. Davis wasSpock at 25

Thanks

I haven't seen any pictures of them yet, and I don't know yet (other than what the article hints at) what the movie will be about.

http://news.google.com/news?q=%22Zac...num=1&ct=title

I looked at his pictures and... I suppose with the right makeup, he might resemble Nimoy

My deal is to wait til the movie comes out.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

26 July 2007
    Comic-Con: Zachary Quinto Is Spock
    But he won't be alone in new Star Trek

One of the worst-kept secrets in Hollywood was finally confirmed yesterday at the San Diego Comic-Con: Zachary Quinto, last seen fiddling around with heroic brains as the bad guy Sylar in Heroes, has been cast as the new Spock in JJ Abrams' reboot of Star Trek.

However, Abrams did have one genuine surprise up his sleeve: instead of unveiling the rest of the Trek cast, notably the actor who will play the young Captain James T. Kirk in his companion piece-cum-prequel to the original TV show, Abrams announced that Quinto would not be the only actor to play Spock in the new movie. And with that, Leonard Nimoy - the original Spock, and the man who made pointy ears and a v-shaped hand salute cool - walked onto the stage at Hall H, driving 6,500 Con attendees wild.

Nimoy's appearance in the movie - "It was logical," he quipped when asked why he was doing it - had been semi-revealed by former co-star William Shatner (who, Abrams added, may still have a small part in the new movie), but the confirmation still came as a surprise, and further hints that the new Trek may be told largely in flashback, with the aged Spock (he's the longest-living and oldest member of the original crew of the Starship Enterprise, thanks to his Vulcan blood) possibly used as a framing device.

Abrams, who had earlier appeared for just over a minute to talk about his new monster movie, Cloverfield/1.18.08/Whatever the hell it’s called, said very little about the new Trek movie, but he did praise the script by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, saying it was so good that he would have been jealous of anyone else who got to direct it.

As for Quinto, he took the new adulation in his stride and said very little about his casting as the world’s favourite Vulcan. But he’s a good actor, as Heroes has showed, and damn, he looks the part and then some. If the rest of the casting is as on the money as this – and Abrams and fellow producer Damon Lindelof dropped enough hints to suggest that they’re not too far away from announcing who will play Kirk, Scotty, Chekhov, Sulu, Uhura and the rest.
    Libertatem Prius!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    I haven't seen any pictures of them yet...
    Rick,

If you saw the movie "Star Trek III - The Search For Spock" you saw the actors who played "young Spock" in the opening sequences of that movie.

In Star Trek II Mr. Spock died of dilithium radiation poisoning while saving the Enterprise. ("The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.") His body was jettisoned in a space pod and landed on the Genesis planet. In Star Trek III the movie picks up where Genesis wave regenerates Spocks dead corpse and the new "Spock" was reborn.

The four actors portraying the Genesis effect rebirth and rapid aging of Mr. Spock are listed in my post above in the order of their appearance in the film sequences.

My point is that none of them look like the new "young Spock" (or vice versa) for Star Trek 11.

Kinda reminds me how the original Klingons look nothing like the "modern" Klingons.
    Last edited by Sean Osborne; July 30th, 2007 at 19:11.

Thanks

Yeah... I know. No, I have seen ALL the trek movies... several times. But, I meant I hadn't see the new guy. I don't watch Hero's at all, and didn't know what that was til someone told me. (I have some friends that talk about it on and off... but .. DUH!?) haha

So, no I merely meant his picture compared to say, "young Spock".

I thought they did just "ok" in the movie "Search for Spock" -- but, I go to movies knowing they aren't REAL LIFE, something there are a lot of people out there that do NOT do. So, I generally let such "mistakes" go by without comment. I mean, what the heck, it's a MOVIE, right?

But ST is such a cult- and my-generation thing now that I guess I'm looking forward to a new movie, keeping the "legend alive".

And, perhaps, somewhere along the way, I'm actually a "part" of that future. (Having seen and lived some of the science fiction that is now fact, and we're looking at space-based ships someday in the not-too-distant future)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information