Thread: Football-based Card Game

Thanks

Default Football-based Card Game

Hi everyone ...

I am working on the design for a quick, 2-player card game based on American Football. I'm hoping to have the first set of cards designed, and rules written-up by this weekend.

If anyone is interested in giving the game a try (you'd need to do some printing/prep of the cards), let me know and I'll give you a link once things are ready.

I'm hoping to have the first "real" version of the game ready by the start of the regular season -- so I will need some help testing the game out.

Thanks,
    -Bryk

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Football-based Card Game

Sounds interesting! Keep us posted!

Thanks

The popularity of card games such as Magic, Pokemon, and such are amazing I wouldn't doubt if this game (if well designed) ends up big too.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Baldwin View Post
    The popularity of card games such as Magic, Pokemon, and such are amazing I wouldn't doubt if this game (if well designed) ends up big too.
    It's different than those types of card games ... it's not "collectible" and there are no special rules for each card ... just a simple, self-contained card game of running plays and getting results. If it becomes popular, it will be due to football fans who want to test their play-calling skill and like to play card games.

I'll post links to the prototype stuff after I get it done this weekend. Last nights events (Minneapolis bridge collapse) took away my working time on the project ... but I'll be back at it tonight.

-Bryk

Thanks

A little update ... the card design is done -- will print out the first set tonight.

I'm mid-way through writing up the rules booklet. The funny thing is that the game is rather simple to understand, but I have to write about each of the parts of a normal football game and how it is represented in the card game -- that takes more words than I was counting on.

Still -- I'm guessing I'll still hit my by-the-end-of-the-weekend target date.

-Bryk

Thanks

I did get my cards & first-draft rules ready by the end of the weekend ... and they came with me on this business trip, so I've already been able to test it (once on the plane).

The print-and-play files needed for others to test will probably take me to the end of this next weekend, since printing out the cards showed me an area where some of the text was difficult to read, due to low contrast with the background image. So, I have some adjustments to make to the cards, and a rules update (testing always shows me things to tweak, ya know).

I'm pretty excited in how the game plays ... takes about 45 minutes to an hour to play through. In my test game on the plane, "Barry" (Blue team) beat "Ruth" (Red team) 20 to 14, with Ruth making a last-minute drive that came to naught. It felt like a real football game with a couple of long-built drives and a couple of quick break-away touchdowns.

-Bryk

Thanks

Okay ... the print-n-play files are ready for anyone who wishes to test out the game.

This will require a little work on your part before you play. You will need to download a 6MB ZIP file (contains the rules and all card faces) and print out the cards (there are a number of different ways to get nice, playable cards from a normal inkjet printer) and the rules. The game consists of 2 decks of 54 cards -- one deck for each player.

Once you've played a game or two, I would expect some feedback on how things went. Games are taking me about 45 minutes to play from setup to final play. I'm curious to see how this changes once this blind-testing round starts.

Okay ... if you're interested in trying the game out, please send me a private message through this forum, or send me an e-mail (support -AT- mwgames -DOT- com). And I will let you know how to go about getting the ZIP file.

-Bryk

8. March 20th, 2008, 19:43

Thread Information