Thread: Border Patrol agents dont have the responsibility of apprehending illegal immigrants

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default Border Patrol agents dont have the responsibility of apprehending illegal immigrants

Really!?!?!

LaredoMorningTimes

BP eyes terrorism, area chief declares
    By CÉSAR G. RODRIGUEZ, LAREDO MORNING TIMES
    08/16/2007

Border Patrol agents dont have the responsibility of apprehending illegal immigrants, Carlos X. Carrillo, chief patrol agent for the Laredo sector, said at a town hall meeting Wednesday."The Border Patrol is not equipped to stop illegal immigrants," Carrillo said, noting that illegal narcotics are also not on the agents priority list.

"The Border Patrol mission is not to do any of those things," he emphasized.

The Border Patrols mission is to keep the country safe from terrorist and terrorist weapons, he said. Carrillo added that when and if terrorists come into the country, the agents will be ready.

During a presentation to about 50 people, he also explained the different deployment tactics agents use to identify who crosses the border.

A hot issue during the meeting was the construction of a fence along the Rio Grande.

Carrillo said the Carrizo cane along the river is an environmental challenge.

He said that before enforcing any type of fence, the Carrizo canes need to be addressed, allowing agents to patrol and spot traffic in the river.

Mayor Raul Salinas spoke to the audience about using taxpayer money to build a fence.

"I want a secure border, but I want more common sense," Salinas said, adding that the fence would affect relations with Mexico.

A concerned citizen asked about deterrence.

Carrillo said deterrence comes from working with the community. He added that having a certain number of agents working an area indicates to the community their presence in the area.

A concerned citizen, who lives on property about 34 miles out of Laredo on Interstate 35, said she has seen from 20 to 50 illegal immigrants daily.

She said agents have addressed the situation before, but they can only do so much and the situation continues.

Carrillo responded that the Border Patrol will look into the issue.

To report any suspicious activity, Carrillo said, residents should contact Immigration and Customs Enforcement at (800) 973-2867.

Thanks

Default Re: Border Patrol agents dont have the responsibility of apprehending illegal immigrants

Well, decided to find out exactly what the Mission Statement of the CBP is.

This is from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection page:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/a.../guardians.xml

CBP Mission Statement and Core Values

Mission
    We are the guardians of our nation’s borders. We are America’s frontline. We safeguard the American homeland at and beyond our borders. We protect the American public against terrorists and the instruments of terror. We steadfastly enforce the laws of the United States while fostering our nation’s economic security through lawful international trade and travel. We serve the American public with vigilance, integrity, and professionalism.

CBP Core Values
    Vigilance is how we ensure the safety of all Americans. We are continuously watchful and alert to deter, detect and prevent threats to our Nation. We demonstrate courage and valor in the protection of our Nation.

Service to Country is embodied in the work we do. We are dedicated to defending and upholding the Constitution of the United States. The American people have entrusted us to protect the homeland and defend liberty.

Integrity is our cornerstone. We are guided by the highest ethical and moral principles. Our actions bring honor to ourselves and our agency.
    So if a terrorist from Nicaragua tries to enter the U.S., CBP will attempt to stop him, as reflected in:
    1. “We protect the American public against terrorists and the instruments of terror.”
    2. “We steadfastly enforce the laws of the United States while fostering our nation’s economic security through lawful international trade and travel.”

Ok fine.

But...

If an illegal alien attempts to enter the U.S., it is not CBP’s mission to stop him, as reflected in the following statements by Carlos X. Carrillo, chief patrol agent for the Laredo sector:
    1. "The Border Patrol is not equipped to stop illegal immigrants"
    2. ‘illegal narcotics are also not on the agents priority list.’
    3. "The Border Patrol mission is not to do any of those things”

How in the heck can they be “guardians of our nation’s borders” when they won’t stop illegal aliens, drug runners, etc?

And for the record: May God Bless each and every Border Patrol Agent out there. It’s just unfortunate management has tied their hands.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Border Patrol agents dont have the responsibility of apprehending illegal immigrants

I saw this before you had posted it and nearly had my head explode.

I want to know why this person's resignation hasn't been demanded yesterday!!

Thanks

Update:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/...plate=printart

Article published Aug 28, 2007
    Border Patrol chief apologizes for remarks

August 28, 2007

By Sara A. Carter - A Border Patrol chief yesterday apologized for saying the agency's mission is stopping terrorists, not illegal aliens or drug smugglers, a stance that outraged congressional lawmakers.

"It's painfully obvious to me that I could have done a better job of articulating my talking points," said sector Chief Carlos X. Carrillo, who made the controversial comments last week at a town hall meeting in Laredo, Texas.

"As long as the resources are made available to the people who can make it happen, we will certainly do everything we can to ensure that a zero tolerance policy is brought forward. But to initiate a program like this, without the funding, would not be wise."

Rep. John Culberson, Texas Republican, was angered by Chief Carrillo's comments and contacted him yesterday for clarification. Mr. Culberson, a member of the House Appropriations homeland security subcommittee, said the Laredo chief apologized and promised to continue strict apprehension policies along the border.

"Chief Carrillo promised me that he will do his very best to implement Del Rio's zero tolerance policy," Mr. Culberson said, referring to the Del Rio sector's strong policies to incarcerate all illegal aliens caught in high traffic areas. "I promised the chief that we are totally committed to finding the funds that he needs to make that happen."

Chief Carrillo said that Laredo needs funding to hire more prosecutors and U.S. marshals, and more jail-bed space before his agency can adopt the strict zero-tolerance policy.

Operation Streamline II, mainly implemented in the Del Rio sector, is a policy in which illegal aliens face prosecution if they cross the border and can receive a maximum penalty of 180 days in jail for the violation.

The Del Rio sector noted a 38 percent drop in the apprehension of illegal aliens in 2006 and a 52 percent reduction in 2007, Mr. Culberson said.

"This tough stand against illegal entry is working in Del Rio," Mr. Culberson said.

Law-enforcement agencies consider Laredo to be one of the Southwest's most dangerous border crossings with millions of dollars in narcotics transported through the area every month. It is the sister city of Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, which is controlled by the Gulf Cartel — one of Mexico's most ruthless drug-smuggling rings.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, Colorado Republican and presidential candidate, who on Friday called for Chief Carrillo's resignation, said that his apology is not acceptable. Mr. Tancredo said he wondered how the chief could tell the difference between an illegal alien and a terrorist.

"This is bigger than Carrillo,"Mr. Tancredo said. "It goes all the way to Chief David Aguilar and the whole management culture at DHS. I think this guy is speaking for his superiors. I'm concerned about the Border Patrol men and women who are finding it harder every day to do their jobs and I'm concerned with those whose close ties to Mexico run too deep."

Chief Carrillo emphasized that Laredo Border Patrol agents have not given up on their mission to arrest illegal aliens or apprehend narcotics smugglers. He said agents in his sector have made 52,000 arrests of illegal aliens and have confiscated more than 62 tons in illegal narcotics this year alone.

"It was a two-hour town hall meeting," Chief Carrillo said. "One of the issues we discussed was illegal immigration. I said the Border Patrol cannot address the causes of illegal immigration. We're not supposed to address it. Our focus is enforcement, our focus is enforcement at the border."

Thread Information