Thread: Comcast Cuts Internet Service to Bandwidth Hogs

Thanks

Default Comcast Cuts Internet Service to Bandwidth Hogs

Shutting Down Big Downloaders - Comcast Cuts Internet Service to Bandwidth Hogs
    The Washington Post ^ | September 7, 2007 | Kim Hart

The rapid growth of online videos, music and games has created a new Internet sin: using it too much.

Comcast has punished some transgressors by cutting off their Internet service, arguing that excessive downloaders hog Internet capacity and slow down the network for other customers. The company declines to reveal its download limits.

"You have no way of knowing how much is too much," said Sandra Spalletta of Rockville, whose Internet service was suspended in March after Comcast sent her a letter warning that she and her teenage son were using too much bandwidth. They cut back on downloads but were still disconnected. She said the company would not tell her how to monitor their bandwidth use in order to comply with the limits.

-snip-

To trigger a disconnection warning, customers would be downloading the equivalent of 1,000 songs or four full-length movies every day. Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas declined to reveal specific bandwidth limits.

-snip-

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Comcast Cuts Internet Service to Bandwidth Hogs

If they don't declare limits then they're in violation of the commerce laws. They rely on a TOS agreement that states they can dictate any rule at any time without prior notice to the customer. But that won't hold up in court. Unfortunately these companies are too large for the average person to take to court in a fiscal sense. In the end we'll see a class action suit I believe.

This is not the first time Comcast has pulled this stunt either. I used to be one of their customers a few years back while I lived in Utah. They did it then too with several people in Salt Lake City with the excuse that high bandwidth usage was a sign they were also stealing cable signal for their televisions. It didn't work out too well for them as I recall.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Comcast Cuts Internet Service to Bandwidth Hogs

>>If they don't declare limits then they're in violation of the commerce laws.<<

While I loathe the behavior, they can do anything they wish inside of their contractual agreement. I suspect they have limits on bandwidth and accessability. All of which some 12YO spank monkey violates as he's downloaded 100 films in the past week.

Thread Information