Thread: N.Korea may be dropped from terrorism list, U.S. hints

Thanks

Default N.Korea may be dropped from terrorism list, U.S. hints

N.Korea may be dropped from terrorism list, U.S. (Condoleezza Rice) hints
    Reuters ^ | September 25, 2007 | By Arshad Mohammed and Sue Pleming

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice hinted on Monday that North Korea could be dropped from a U.S. terrorism blacklist before fully accounting for the Japanese citizens it abducted in the 1970s and 1980s.

Such a move could antagonize Japan, a key U.S. ally for whom the fate of the abductees -- who were kidnapped by North Korean agents and kept in the impoverished, Stalinist state for decades -- is a politically sensitive issue.

North Korea's presence on the U.S. state sponsors of terrorism list -- which imposes a range of U.S. sanctions -- has become a bargaining chip in multilateral negotiations on ending Pyongyang's nuclear programs.

The top U.S. negotiator with North Korea suggested recently that Pyongyang could come off the list before it abandons all nuclear programs as called for under a 2005 agreement among the two Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the United States.

Asked if Washington might also drop Pyongyang from the list before it provides a complete accounting for Japanese citizens kidnapped by North Korea, Rice said the United States should not tie its hands in doling out such carrots to Pyongyang.

"I don't think that we want to get into a situation in which we have locked all of the steps that we might take with the North Koreans and lock them into a certain sequence with other steps that we think need to be taken," Rice told Reuters in an interview.

"We have to be able to use whatever incentives we have that are appropriate to the stage at which we are with the North Koreans," she added.

The fate of Japanese citizens abducted by North Korea is a highly emotive issue in Japan, and Tokyo may resent any step by Washington to drop Pyongyang from the U.S. blacklist.

Pyongyang admitted in 2002 that its agents had kidnapped 13 Japanese, five of whom have since been repatriated after living for years in the impoverished, Stalinist state.

North Korea says the other eight are dead, but Tokyo wants better information about their fate, as well as information on another four people it says were also kidnapped.

'REALLY HORRIBLE'

Rice said that the United States would continue to press North Korea to settle the matter.

"We have been very clear with the Japanese ... that we are not going to forget the abduction issue," she said. "We're going to keep pressing it. It's a really horrible humanitarian situation. It was a terrible thing to do and it needs to be resolved."

Under a Feb. 13 "six-party" agreement, North Korea must disable its nuclear facilities and give a complete declaration of all its nuclear programs. In return, it is to receive 950,000 tonnes of heavy fuel oil or its equivalent,

As part of that agreement, the United States said it would "begin the process" of taking North Korea off the terrorism list.

"There is obviously some advantage to doing something like that in conjunction with the next phase of ... the six-party talks, and the next phase, of course, is disablement and declaration," Rice said.

The next round of six-party talks is scheduled to begin on Thursday in Beijing.

Rice said she was heartened by the fact that U.S., Chinese and Russian inspectors who toured North Korea's Yongbyon nuclear facility -- which must be disabled under the deal -- had "good" cooperation from the North Koreans.

"So that gives some hope that there is going to be a good outcome on disablement, but the proof will be in the pudding," she said. "One never can count those chickens before you're in the room with the North Koreas."
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: N.Korea may be dropped from terrorism list, U.S. hints

As much as I hate to link CNN as the source, it was the first place I read the story. Are this and the related stories accurate? Is NK really doing this or is the wool being pulled over the US' eyes? My thought is that yes they may be destoying their capabilities, but it's too late because they've already given the "good" stuff to oh let's say Iran.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...ear/index.html
    N. Korea prepares to dismantle nuclear plant

PYONGYANG, North Korea (CNN) -- A day after releasing details of its long-secret nuclear program, North Korea on Friday plans to destroy a highly visible tower at a facility where officials now acknowledge they extracted plutonium to build nuclear weapons. ..... (cont.)

Thanks

I have ZERO trust in N. Korea due to their very well established history of deception. Zero. Whatever they're doing, we're not getting the full story.

Thanks

NK was dropped, yesterday by President Bush.

Today they destroyed the cooling tower for the nuke plant
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    I have ZERO trust in N. Korea due to their very well established history of deception. Zero. Whatever they're doing, we're not getting the full story.
    EXACTLY! I trust them as far as I can throw old Kimmie. I think this is a HORRIBLE idea. I really hope this isn't just President Bush trying to salvage his legacy (i.e. "I disarmed Libya and North Korea of WMDs without firing a shot.")

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    NK was dropped, yesterday by President Bush.

Today they destroyed the cooling tower for the nuke plant
    Yeah, the one we knew about.

I'm sure they are working on their nuke program in either Iran, Algeria, or some other crap hole where it is hidden.

Thanks

Well, I never said they didn't have another, and I sure didn't have to say they probably do... lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Executive Order: Continuing Certain Restrictions with Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nation
    whitehouse.gov ^ | June 26, 2008 | GEORGE W. BUSH

Executive Order: Continuing Certain Restrictions with Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nationals

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701 et seq.) (IEEPA), the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) (NEA), and section 301 of title 3, United States Code,

I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, find that the current existence and risk of the proliferation of weapons-usable fissile material on the Korean Peninsula constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, and I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat. I further find that, as we deal with that threat through multilateral diplomacy, it is necessary to continue certain restrictions with respect to North Korea that would otherwise be lifted pursuant to a forthcoming proclamation that will terminate the exercise of authorities under the Trading With the Enemy Act (50 U.S.C. App. 1 et seq.) (TWEA) with respect to North Korea.

Accordingly, I hereby order:

Section 1. Except to the extent provided in statutes or in regulations, orders, directives, or licenses that may be issued pursuant to this order, and notwithstanding any contract entered into or any license or permit granted prior to the date of this order, the following are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in:

all property and interests in property of North Korea or a North Korean national that, pursuant to the President's authorities under the TWEA, the exercise of which has been continued in accordance with section 101(b) of Public Law 95-223 (91 Stat. 1625; 50 U.S.C. App. 5(b) note), were blocked as of June 16, 2000, and remained blocked immediately prior to the date of this order.

Sec. 2. Except to the extent provided in statutes or in regulations, orders, directives, or licenses that may be issued pursuant to this order, and notwithstanding any contract entered into or any license or permit granted prior to the date of this order, United States persons may not register a vessel in North Korea, obtain authorization for a vessel to fly the North Korean flag, or own, lease, operate, or insure any vessel flagged by North Korea.

Sec. 3. (a) Any transaction by a United States person or within the United States that evades or avoids, has the purpose of evading or avoiding, or attempts to violate any of the prohibitions set forth in this order is prohibited.

(b) Any conspiracy formed to violate any of the prohibitions set forth in this order is prohibited.

Sec. 4. For the purposes of this order:

(a) the term "person" means an individual or entity;

(b) the term "entity" means a partnership, association, trust, joint venture, corporation, group, subgroup, or other organization; and

(c) the term "United States person" means any United States citizen, permanent resident alien, entity organized under the laws of the United States or any jurisdiction within the United States (including foreign branches), or any person in the United States.

Sec. 5. The Secretary of the Treasury, after consultation with the Secretary of State, is hereby authorized to take such actions, including the promulgation of rules and regulations, and to employ all powers granted to the President by IEEPA as may be necessary to carry out the purposes of this order. The Secretary of the Treasury may redelegate any of these functions to other officers and agencies of the United States Government consistent with applicable law. All agencies of the United States Government are hereby directed to take all appropriate measures within their authority to carry out the provisions of this order.

Sec. 6. The Secretary of the Treasury, after consultation with the Secretary of State, is hereby authorized to submit the recurring and final reports to the Congress on the national emergency declared in this order, consistent with section 401(c) of the NEA (50 U.S.C. 1641(c)) and section 204(c) of IEEPA (50 U.S.C. 1703(c)).

Sec. 7. This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, instrumentalities, or entities, its officers or employees, or any other person.

GEORGE W. BUSH

THE WHITE HOUSE,

June 26, 2008.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information