Thread: Firebrand Tancredo Puts Policy Over Party Line

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Firebrand Tancredo Puts Policy Over Party Line

Firebrand Tancredo Puts Policy Over Party Line
    Washington - U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo wants to inflame people.

He speaks on talk radio and cable television as often as 15 times a week, warning that illegal immigrants are stealing jobs, destroying American culture and killing police officers.

With every word, the ex-schoolteacher son of Italian immigrants pours fuel on a grassroots brush fire.

Tancredo strives to agitate people enough that they demand change from Congress. As outraged citizens pressure lawmakers to follow Tancredo's lead, his power grows.

Although he's never passed significant legislation on his top issue, Tancredo now is invited to dinners with those shaping legislation. He's asked to speak at forums. His opponents create lobbying groups to counterbalance Tancredo's contentious message.

President Bush, congressional leaders and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce all are talking immigration reform this year, pushing a plan to let some immigrants stay in the country as guest workers. Many in business want to hire more foreigners.

But pressure from outraged citizen groups - stoked by Tancredo and his allies - is forcing pro-guest-worker forces to retool their strategy.

Interviews with more than two dozen people - including current and past colleagues of Tancredo, immigration activists, political analysts and strategists - show Tancredo is not easily discounted as an extremist loudmouth.

An analysis of Tancredo's campaign contributions reveals he's increasingly supported by people outside Colorado, evidence of his growing national stature.

After only six years in the U.S. House, the lawmaker representing Denver's southern suburbs has made himself the leader of one side of a debate over immigration that's poised to split the Republican Party. He's even considering a run for the presidency to force other candidates to debate the issue.

"He has had as much to do with moving immigration front and center onto the national agenda as anybody," said Norman Ornstein, political analyst at the American Enterprise Institute, a Washington think tank. "It wouldn't have been dealt with with this level of intensity or even urgency if it weren't for him."

While he's a hero to those supporters, others consider him a dangerous demagogue.

"Right after 9/11, Tom Tancredo was pushing many of the ideas that bona fide white-supremacist groups were pushing," said Mark Potok, director of intelligence for the Southern Poverty Law Center in Alabama, which monitors hate groups.

Election to Congress gave Tancredo a national platform for an anti-illegal-immigration message developed over three decades. The 2001 terrorist attacks gave his arguments about the dangers of porous borders new legitimacy.

And the presidential campaign season in 2008 could give him an unparalleled opportunity to push his platform.

Tancredo is the first to say that the idea of his inhabiting the Oval Office is a joke. But meanwhile his renown - and notoriety - grows rapidly.

So far this year, he's spent 17 days in New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina, the first stops in the presidential nomination season.

An unofficial website is devoted to his potential candidacy, as well as a "Tancredo Watch" website hosted by critics. Nearly 9,000 "Tancredo for President" bumper stickers have been sold.

One of the few Republicans willing to criticize the White House, Tancredo is called upon by talk radio and cable television to talk about immigration as well as the deficit and Supreme Court nominations. He's appeared or been discussed on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News nearly 200 times in the past two years. His name appeared on some 5,200 Internet blogs as of last week.

He gets death threats he says he's been told not to talk about. U.S. Capitol police have been assigned to travel with him.

In one of two extensive interviews with The Denver Post about his life and career, Tancredo said that immigration - both legal and illegal - is just where the nation's crisis starts. While some celebrate the country's multitude of cultures, he sees it as dangerous.

Immigrants who cling to their language, heritage and loyalties while living in the U.S. threaten to turn the nation into a "Tower of Babel," he said.

He rails against what he calls "the cult of multiculturalism," or "people who are intent upon dividing America up into cultural enclaves, who are intent upon essentially minimizing the importance of Western civilization."

Combine that with "massive immigration," he said, and "25 years from now it will not only determine what kind of a country we are, it will determine whether we are a country."

Blame career on Castro

Those who wish Tancredo had never entered politics can blame Fidel Castro. Tancredo was in eighth grade at St. Catherine's Elementary School in Denver when the Cuban dictator came to power. He took turns acting as Castro and as an interviewer for a class assignment.

"I loved doing this. Maybe it was the theatricality of it," he said. "Maybe that's what got me into politics in general."

At age 59, Tancredo - with gray sideburns and a balding pate, but a remarkably unlined face - still comes across as that playful student. Asked his favorite food, and knowing his answer will raise eyebrows, he says "tacos," and complains about how it's impossible to find good Mexican food in Washington.

As easily as he jokes, Tancredo is also quick to castigate. He exults in political incorrectness.

Recently he suggested that the U.S. should consider bombing Mecca in response to an Islamic terrorist strike on U.S. soil; demanded that the government drop the design for a Pennsylvania memorial to Sept. 11 victims because its crescent shape is a symbol of Islam; voted against federal aid to Hurricane Katrina victims, calling Louisiana officials corrupt; and said that New Mexico was improperly using money obtained from declaring a state of emergency over immigration.

"What you are doing in Washington is divisive, partisan demagoguery on a critical issue for our country," New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson said in a letter to Tancredo.

Tancredo's provocative statements hurt his credibility, said Republican activist Grover Norquist, a liaison between the White House and conservatives. Norquist contrasted Tancredo's remark about bombing Mecca to someone suggesting bombing Dublin in response to an Irish Republican Army attack.

"Would people see that as anti-terrorist or anti-Irish?" Norquist said. "That's so far beyond the pale that it's hard to hear any kind of discussion about immigration."

Yet each time Tancredo takes such stands, he ends up in newspapers and on cable news shows. That exposure, plus supporters who think of Tancredo "less as a nut and more as a courageous, plain-spoken hero" have allowed him to affect the national agenda, said analyst Ornstein.

For Tancredo, who's working on a book about himself and immigration titled "Rebel With a Cause," simply getting Congress to talk about immigration is a victory.

"I have pursued it with every ounce of energy I have, and it has moved the debate, and it has moved the country," he said. "And yeah, I am very pleased about that. If I never accomplished another thing, I think I could go home and say, 'Yeah, I did that."'

There are an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the country, with 6 million of those from Mexico, according to a March 2005 report by the Pew Hispanic Center. That immigrant pool is growing at a rate of about 9 percent annually.

Colorado had an estimated 200,000 to 250,000 illegal immigrants in 2004, the report said.

"This is the hottest issue out there," said Angela "Bay" Buchanan, sister of Pat Buchanan and head of the political action committee Team America, which Tancredo started to back candidates with similar immigration views.

Voters side less with Tancredo than he thinks, Norquist said, noting that anti-illegal-immigration candidates ran against incumbent Republicans in one Senate and three House primary races in 2004. All lost.

Assessing Tancredo's success with immigration policy in Congress is challenging. Major bills usually are carried by committee chairmen, such as a bill that passed this year requiring states to verify someone's citizenship before issuing a driver's license. Tancredo backed that bill.

Tancredo has seen small successes. For the past three years he's introduced a bill amendment that would deny homeland security funding to cities where police refuse to turn over information about illegal immigrants to federal agents. The amendment has failed every time, but the margin is tightening.

Many House members who say they are staunch illegal- immigration opponents won't sign on to Tancredo's legislation, citing his reputation.

Some of Tancredo's colleagues say his controversial statements hurt his ability to help his constituents.

"People of Colorado elected him ... to represent them, and he's running all over the country campaigning against Republicans and limiting his own effectiveness to near zero for his own district," GOP Rep. Darrell Issa of San Diego said.

Many of Tancredo's constituents disagree. Tancredo is "straightforward and says what he feels," said Clif Sams, 65, of Aurora. Tancredo joined Democrats to push for a law allowing disabled veterans to collect both military pension and disability, giving Sams $550 more in monthly income, he said.

Sams also supports Tancredo on the immigration issue.

"We need to control illegal aliens. And I think he's starting to wake people up to get off the pot," he said.

Tancredo said he accomplishes plenty for his district. In a recent bill funding transportation projects nationwide, Tancredo's staff said, the money he obtained for the district ranked about average for Congress members.

"Luckily I'm not just here to bring home the bacon," he said.

Parents were apolitical

Born in 1945, "Tommy" Tancredo grew up in an Italian neighborhood in north Denver. His parents, he says, were apolitical.

As a Republican student activist, Tancredo spoke out in favor of the Vietnam War. After graduating from the University of Northern Colorado in June 1969, he became eligible to serve in Vietnam. Tancredo said he went for his physical, telling doctors he'd been treated for depression, and eventually got a "1-Y" deferment.

He became a junior high school teacher and in 1976 ran for the state House of Representatives. While he worked, his parents campaigned, handing out cards with his mother's Italian spaghetti sauce recipe on one side and "Tancredo's recipe for good government" on the other.

He won the seat and joined lawmakers known as the "House Crazies" who pushed an uncompromising conservative agenda.

"He ... was of the new brand of Republican who didn't (just) want government to run more efficiently, ... (they) didn't want it to run at all," said Richard Lamm, then Colorado governor.

Tancredo left the statehouse after two terms and in 1981 took a job as regional director in President Reagan's Department of Education, cutting the Colorado office staff from 223 people to 60 in four years. He then headed the libertarian Independence Institute think tank before running for Congress.

There was no single moment when Tancredo decided immigration was the issue he must attack, he said. But by the time he ran for the U.S. House, he talked about it constantly.

"I'd bring it up at every single debate," he said. "Nobody ever either argued with me about it or agreed with me about it. It just laid there."

Supported financially by groups such as the National Rifle Association, National Right to Life and various businesses, he won election in 1998. He pledged to serve only three terms, then changed his mind and ran for a fourth last year, saying there was too much work left to be done on immigration.

As a new House member, Tancredo used the one avenue he had to get attention. After the House is finished for the day, House members can go to the chamber and talk on any topic, speaking in an empty room to a camera operated by the C-SPAN cable channel. Tancredo spoke about immigration. He'd return to supportive phone messages and e-mails in his office.

Tancredo started his Immigration Reform Caucus in May 1999 with 16 members. Still, for three years, Tancredo spoke largely to an empty room. The terrorist attacks on Sept. 11 changed that.

"Then immigration became a huge topic that people were willing to start to discuss, and there I was," Tancredo said. "See what happened? I was the guy. I was talking. Then it was OK to make a lot of noise about it."

The Immigration Caucus now has 91 members, 89 of whom are Republicans.

Bilingual-education law

While in the Colorado House, one of Tancredo's top priorities was eliminating taxpayer funding for bilingual education in public schools. He eventually succeeded in modifying the law. What outraged him, said his close colleague at the time, then-state Sen. Hugh Fowler, was that students learned about Mexican culture: food, dance and history.

"To be teaching children about a second culture and a second language that supports that culture we saw as a very un-American approach to civics," said Fowler, who worked with Tancredo on the effort.

Tancredo was already developing his crusade against "the cult of multiculturalism."

"Appreciating diversity is a good thing, it's a healthy thing, except when it becomes the only thing, the main attribute," he said. "That's what I fear is happening. We don't have things pulling us together. We have things pulling us apart."

He questions why there is a black caucus and Hispanic caucus in the U.S. House and said he has considered introducing legislation to ban such groups.

"I just think these things separate us instead of bringing us together," he said. "What if we had a white caucus?"

The second chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus called that statement "more race-baiting" by Tancredo. The black, Hispanic and Asian-American caucuses exist because few members of Congress come from those racial groups and they need a unified voice, said Rep. Raul M. Grijalva, D-Ariz.

Former Wyoming Sen. Alan K. Simpson, who authored and pushed through new immigration laws in 1986 and 1996, said Tancredo's statements about the need for cultural assimilation are similar to those made by the late Barbara Jordan, who headed the U.S. Commission on Immigration Reform in the 1990s. Jordan could make those statements without the criticism Tancredo is receiving, Simpson said, because she was an African-American Democrat.

"I think it's unfair to try and portray him as a racist," Simpson said.

Tancredo knows many consider him a racist.

"I am considered to be this horrible person who's mad about people coming here from other places," he said. "That is absolutely untrue, completely untrue. I don't care where you came from. I don't care what language you spoke. I don't care what religion you are.

"What I'm looking for is something that happens here in America that begins the process of tying all of us together as Americans."

He is not anti-Mexican, he said, but there is no escaping that the biggest source of illegal immigrants is Mexico.

Critics cite extremist ties

Even those who find Tancredo toxic concede he's been effective in shaping the anti-immigration message. They note how he seizes the opportunity to advance his cause after events such as the killing of Denver police Detective Donald "Donnie" Young, allegedly by illegal immigrant Raul Gomez-Garcia.

"When you hear him talk about this issue, at every opportunity, on every radio station and every TV talk show that he can, it makes it seem like every illegal immigrant in this country is killing cops," said Roberto de Posada of the Latino Coalition, a business group lobbying for a guest-worker program and other pro-immigration reforms.

Others in the pro-immigration camp, however, minimize Tancredo's impact. The National Council of La Raza, the nation's largest Hispanic-American activist group, said Tancredo represents a small, if vocal, minority.

"Mr. Tancredo has proposed a lot of (legislative) amendments," said Michele Waslin, director of immigration policy research for La Raza. "Even though he's got his (Immigration Caucus) to vote for them, very little of it has passed."

Lamm disagrees, saying Tancredo fights with "vigor and increasing sophistication."

"He sees clearly the negative impact this is having on America and has the political courage to take on his own president and the media elite on this issue," the former governor said.

Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, co-author of one of several bills introduced this year to create a guest-worker program, said he has "very little doubt" that his efforts will trump those of Tancredo and his supporters.

"We welcome the debate, but frankly I'm confident that we'll prevail," he said.

Tancredo's fiercest critics say he surrounds himself with white supremacists. Tancredo takes money from and moves in the same circles as people whom the Southern Poverty Law Center has identified as "extremists."

Barbara Coe, co-author of a 1994 California ballot initiative denying illegal immigrants access to public schools and hospitals, donated $500 to Tancredo's 2004 campaign and has long been a key supporter. Proceeds from the "Tancredo for President" bumper sticker, which sell for $2 each, go to another Coe group, California Coalition for Immigrant Reform. Tancredo spoke at a 2003 event put on by that group.

Coe said she belonged to and spoke at an event of the Council of Conservative Citizens, a group that declares on its website that it opposes "all efforts to mix the races of mankind (and) to promote non-white races over the European-American people." It sells T-shirts that say: "White pride. Save our Culture."

Both the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Anti- Defamation League call the Council of Conservative Citizens a white-supremacist group.

Another Tancredo supporter is immigration activist Joe McCutchen of Arkansas, who gave Tancredo a total of $500 between 2002 and 2004. McCutchen said that while he did not belong to the Council of Conservative Citizens, he did speak at one of its events on immigration several years ago.

Tancredo said he doesn't want anyone involved in his movement because of racial views.

"I can't control the people who come to the speeches or say I'm a good guy," Tancredo said. "I know who I am."

He has not returned donations from either Coe or McCutchen.

Out-of-state supporters

Tancredo took the stage in the auditorium of a Carlsbad, Calif., school in August, the featured speaker at an anti-immigration rally. Several hundred people jumped to their feet, cheering wildly. Dozens of people held up "Tancredo for President" bumper stickers.

Police officers in riot gear lined the street outside and the aisles inside. Coe, sitting in the audience, clutched a handful of "Tancredo for President" bumper stickers. Coe and her compatriots were among Tancredo's first non-Colorado backers. They brought him grassroots support and money from outside Colorado.

By 2004, almost half his individual political contributions came from out of state, according to data provided by the Center for Responsive Politics and analyzed by The Denver Post. That's up from 31 percent in 2000, the first time he ran for re-election.

Since 1998, Californians have given him $83,875 in campaign contributions, 6 percent of his individual donations. He's also received money from New York, Texas, Virginia, Florida, Connecticut, Illinois and Arizona.

The morning after the Carlsbad rally, Tancredo was guest of honor at a breakfast for San Diego Republicans who paid $1,000 each to belong to the "Chairman's Circle."

Madeleine Cosman, a Los Angeles medical attorney and author, told Tancredo she had a $1,000 check for Tancredo's congressional campaign, but she was going to cross it out and write "Tancredo for President."

"Oh, no, don't do that," Tancredo told her, there was no place to put that check. No Tancredo for President fund. So far.

Unlike most other members of Congress, Tancredo spends his time away from Washington not primarily in his own district but speaking in other parts of Colorado and outside the state, darting from San Diego to Colorado to Iowa, back west to Salt Lake City and then to Los Angeles.

His staff would not release his full schedule, but in August and September, Tancredo spent at least two days in South Carolina, three in Iowa, two in Utah, three in California, one in Arizona and two in New Hampshire. In late October he traveled to Omaha, then two weekends later darted to Arizona and New Mexico.

The zigzagging across the country has a bit of a campaign feel. It's spreading Tancredo's name.

If Tancredo does enter the presidential race, it probably will be without the support of some fellow Republicans who see him as a backstabber. To push his immigration platform, Tancredo has endorsed primary-election challengers to three of his U.S. House colleagues and even backed a non-Republican in a California race. He's castigated others as well as President Bush.

Ultimately, as he has alienated Republican leaders by attacking their positions on immigration, Tancredo has become more dependent on his grassroots supporters. In 2004, 55 percent of all his campaign money came from individual donors, compared with 25 percent in 2000.

Tancredo's often-outrageous comments and his travels haven't hurt his ability to be re-elected to his conservative, moderately affluent suburban district.

The father of two sons, Tancredo and his wife, Jackie - married for 28 years - live close to the center of the district, in a 5,600-square-foot, two-story home. He has stock investments worth between $500,000 and $1 million, according to the disclosures he files as a member of Congress. He attends Cherry Hills Community Church in Highlands Ranch.

According to his 2004 election opponent, Tancredo seldom campaigns in person.

"I had over 400 (campaign) events in the 14 months that I was running, and he was simply not to be seen," said Democrat Joanna Conti.

Tancredo said he was busy working in Washington when many of those events took place. Even so, in a district where Republicans outnumber Democrats 2-1, Tancredo won 59 percent to Conti's 39 percent.

Political experts are split on whether Tancredo can become a legitimate spoiler in the 2008 presidential primary, drawing enough of the vote away that other candidates are forced to incorporate his ideas, as did Pat Buchanan, who won the New Hampshire primary in 1996.

"Pat Buchanan was a very well-known conservative commentator who'd served three presidents," said Ed Rollins with the Rollins Strategy Group, who has helped run six presidential campaigns. "At the end of the day, he was a conservative alternative to Bush. He began with a lot of name ID, ... certainly more than (Tancredo) has."

Analyst Ornstein said, however, that Tancredo could be part of the early debates, get national attention and 10 percent to 12 percent of the GOP primary vote.

He will need to expand his message beyond immigration to do that, said Tom Rath, Republican national committeeman for New Hampshire. Tancredo is not well-known there, he said, and where he is known, it is only on the immigration issue.

Heading into the 2006 congressional election, Tancredo has about $270,000 on hand, less than most Colorado incumbents. He potentially has access to far more, however, through the political action committee he founded, Team America.

He hired Bay Buchanan to run his PAC, though he now is no longer legally attached to the committee.

Through Team America, Buchanan said, she can direct individual contributions to a candidate, bundling them into larger amounts that individuals by law can't give. Right now those funds are used to help other candidates that Buchanan and Tancredo consider to have the right views on immigration.

Buchanan thinks Tancredo underestimates the success he could have in presidential primaries. When he visited Iowa the first time expecting to see two dozen people at the state's house parties, Tancredo instead found himself welcomed by 60 to 85 people, she said. And when he returned in September, he had 400 people cheering for him, she said.

"I'm not saying this is going to be easy," she said. "I think there's a chance. My job is to convince Tom there's a chance."

Thanks

Default Re: Firebrand Tancredo Puts Policy Over Party Line

Tom is probably right. Again. Americans are used to politicians and media advertising, not statesmen. I for one would give him my vote. If he can start working on being more than one-dimensional he might have a good shot at it. The last thing I want to have happen, though, is Hillary becoming prez due to splitting republican votes.

Thanks

I think Tancredo is one of the few candidates that could win on a single platform campaign. The Border issue is so explosive and the majority of voters agree with Tancredo. But like you say Aplomb... I wouldn't want to see Hillary elected because of a split GOP which could happen if Tancredo only used the border issues to run on.

Brian
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

The unfortunate thing is that Tom Tancredo does come across as a single-issue candidate.

But, if one does a bit of looking, one would see that he is a real Conservative that has acted like one in his official role. Tom Tancredo is very pro-military, pro-2nd Amendment, pro-life, etc. In fact, one Conservative group that rates political leaders, last I saw, had given him a "B+". The only one higher was Rep. Ron Paul with an "A".

I would hope that if Tom is serious about running for President that he begin a MAJOR PR campaign to highlight his many other conservative traits as everyone (who is politically aware) already knows that he is VERY anti-illegal alien. This would be the only way he could run a successful campaign.

Thanks

I agree Ryan... If Tancredo intends to actually run as president, he needs to make a serious bid for it now. And that includes showing he is multi platformed. Iraq needs to be highlighted as well as the future of social programs in the states. It will need to be a very inclusive package.

Brian
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Tancredo unfazed by drop in funding
    Congressman says immigration stance is right thing to do
    By Deborah Frazier, Rocky Mountain News January 14, 2006

Businesses cut donations to Rep. Tom Tancredo last year after his hard-line stance on immigration garnered widespread attention, but the Colorado Republican doesn't care, a spokesman said Friday.

Federal campaign records show that Tancredo received about $385,000 in contributions in 2005 and only $9,926 came from businesses and political action committees, or about 2.6 percent of the total.

In 2004, before he became widely known as a national champion for immigration enforcement, Tancredo raised nearly $983,000, including $92,256 from PACs and businesses.

"Illegal immigration is Congressman Tancredo's signature issue," said Will Adams, Tancredo's spokesman.

"Of course big business doesn't like him.

Adams said Tancredo knew his stance on enforcing immigration laws would cut into campaign support from businesses and PACs, but he believed he was doing the right thing.

"He's trying to stop businesses from hiring cheap, illegal labor that they can exploit," Adams said. "They have an ideal situation now: They can hire illegal aliens and the government, for all intents and purposes, will never come after them for doing it."

Most of last year's donations to Tancredo's campaign fund came from individuals.

Tancredo, a possible presidential candidate who has stumped on immigration in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, hasn't announced his intention to run for Congress again, said Adams.

"He still raises a tremendous amount of money from moms and pops who send in $20 checks," Adams said.

Campaign finance records show that half of Tancredo's donors live in other states, including California, where immigration is a major issue.

Last year, Colorado's other five representatives received between 35 percent to 72 percent of their campaign contributions from PACs and businesses. Sen. Ken Salazar received about 11 percent of his donations from those two sources in 2005 and Sen. Wayne Allard's campaign received about 37 percent.

Adams said Tancredo is proud that campaign finance records show he isn't indebted to special interests that support political campaigns.

"It's to his credit, isn't it, that people these days are outraged that Congress members are being bought by businesses," said Adams.

"The goal of almost all campaign finance reform is to create politicians like Congressman Tancredo who get checks in small sums."
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...388408,00.html
    Last edited by Aplomb; January 22nd, 2006 at 15:00.

Thanks

Tancredo is riding the immigration issue, which is THE sleeper issue for 2006. By 2008 it will be truly front and center. However, I don't see Tom becoming a serious presidential or vice-presidential nominee. He doesn't project the personal charisma and gravitas needed to break into the national pyche, and Republicans have stronger candidates available.

That said, "Terrible Tommy" should keep doing just what he is doing.

EM
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Thanks

Well, I'll say this, if Tom is listed as a choice in the primaries he's got my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplodedMind
    However, I don't see Tom becoming a serious presidential or vice-presidential nominee. He doesn't project the personal charisma and gravitas needed to break into the national pyche
    A number of people have said the same things about President Bush.

Tancredo Takes Immigration Fight On The Road
    Washington - With the Senate poised to take up immigration legislation, Rep. Tom Tancredo has boarded a mobile home and is touring several states to whip up support for his get-tough border-security views.

Calling it the "Secure America Now" tour, the Colorado Republican will argue that the Senate shouldn't create a temporary-worker program for some immigrants.

Tancredo, a leader of the hardline approach to immigration policy, has speeches set in the Phoenix area today, followed by a rally and local-press interviews Friday in New Mexico and a rally Saturday in Reno, Nev.

He plans additional jaunts in coming weeks, heading to Kansas, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan.

The immigration bill, passed late last year by the House, beefs up immigration laws but does not contain a guest-worker provision. The Senate is expected to take up immigration next month, and the bills under consideration contain guest-worker elements.

Tancredo has argued that a guest-worker program would lead to amnesty for some of the estimated 11 million immigrants who entered the U.S. illegally.

The tour is aimed at "imploring Americans to help stop Republican senators from passing amnesty and demand they pass an enforcement-only bill," Tancredo said in a statement.

President Bush and many large businesses that employ immigrants favor some version of a guest-worker program as a boon to the economy.

The congressman has said he may run for president in 2008, but his spokesman said this tour is not a campaign swing.

Thanks

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_4639955
    guest commentary | littleton

GOP still at the ready

Election losses won't stop party's job
    By Tom Tancredo

Article Last Updated:11/11/2006 03:47:05 AM MST

Republican losses on Election Day mean that Democrats will install San Francisco Democrat Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House when the new Congress convenes in January. The bad news for Democrats is that when they win majority control, they can no longer get by just by attacking President Bush; they must come up with concrete proposals of their own.

If their plan for Iraq is not cut and run, what is it?

It is obvious to everyone that the 2006 election became a referendum on an unpopular war instead of a referendum on the total record of the Bush administration and the Republican Congress. The fact that America has not had a second terrorist attack since 2001 has lulled us into a false complacency, a complacency that allowed the Democrats to exploit frustrations over the war.

The fallout from the Mark Foley scandal was the second issue casting a long shadow over the elections. Lingering questions about the handling of Foley's misdeeds allowed the Democrats to exploit what the news media portray as a pandemic of corruption. Democrats benefited from a public mood inclined to blame Republicans for everything from original sin to rush-hour traffic.

Without doubt, Republicans face a formidable challenge. We must fight the appeasement wing of the Democratic Party on foreign policy and the class-warfare mantra of the self-styled progressives. Republican principles will not change, but the need for new leadership is clear.

Looking to 2007 and 2008, President Bush will have strong Republican support in Congress on national security matters, but on domestic issues he will need to listen to congressional Republicans instead of lecturing them. Given the deep Republican unhappiness over runaway government spending and illegal immigration, Republicans in Congress will play a larger role in defining a new Republican agenda.

Bush's widely unpopular guest worker amnesty plan should be shelved in favor of the more popular enforcement strategy. Virtually every Democratic and Republican candidate of every office (governor, Senate, Congress, state legislator, etc.) claimed to be tough on illegal immigration, or accuse their opponent of not being tough enough. Not a single Republican incumbent who lost his race can trace the loss to a position in favor of border security.

The Republican problem is not how to repackage or market its principles and policies. It is how to recapture and reinvigorate our base after years of confusing signals and policies that drifted away from those principles.

This is the point made by former House Majority Leader Dick Armey in his survey of Republican mistakes in his recent Washington Post column, "Where We Went Wrong." He quite correctly did not include Republicans' strong stand for border security among their sins. It it obvious that a party seeking to recapture its base and honor its principles cannot be a party hostile to secure borders.

A divided government will mean a "target-rich environment" for Republicans seeking to develop a new Republican platform for 2008. This means that Republican contenders in the 2008 race for the White House are as likely to come from Congress as from the ranks of state governors or former big-city mayors. (Hmmm Now I wonder who Tom might have in mind...)

Republicans are dedicated to winning the war on terror, bringing federal spending under control, achieving energy independence, and having secure borders for the first time in 40 years. The differences between the Republican program and the agenda of the Pelosi Democrats will be stark.

Despite the setbacks in 2006, Republicans can count on their secret weapon to even the odds. That secret weapon is the Democratic agenda.

Once they take the wraps off their program of appeasement abroad and higher taxes at home, and after they begin back-pedaling on border security and the Patriot Act, Republicans will unite to protect our economy and our sovereignty.
    Republican Tom Tancredo represents Colorado's 6th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:

Thanks

Will Tom Tancredo be next president?

ELECTION 2008
    Tancredo: McCain, Giuliani would be disastrous for GOP
    'I will do everything I can to make sure those 2 names are not the only options'
    Posted: November 22, 2006
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Joe Kovacs
    © 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

PALM BEACH, Fla. – With political junkies looking ahead to the 2008 presidential race, two of the names often mentioned as leading contenders for the GOP nomination – John McCain and Rudy Giuliani – are being called "disastrous" for the Republican Party by Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo.

"Both of those individuals, of course, would be disastrous for us for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is their position on immigration, which is to open the border," Tancredo told WND in an exclusive interview. "I will do everything I can – whether I'm a candidate for president or just as a member of Congress – I will do everything I can to make sure those two names are not the only options that people have."

Tancredo, the author of "In Mortal Danger" championing the need to secure America's borders and enforce immigration laws, says he is getting closer to his own run for the presidency, calling it a "distinct possibility."

"As I've said before, if no one rises to the bait maybe – and that bait being the immigration issue – if no one will take it on, I guarantee you I will do it. Right now, I have not seen anyone who I think can go the distance who has taken that on. I'm telling you it certainly looks more and more like that's a distinct possibility. And I'm not being coy, I just don't know for sure. We have to take a careful look at it because for one thing, you don't want to hurt the issue itself. You do not want to have a problem with doing it, and if you don't do well, then people will say, 'Look, if Tancredo didn't do well in X state, that means that the issue is of no great value.'"

Tancredo was in South Florida joining the likes of media giants Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter at a four-day event called "Restoration Weekend." The gathering was hosted by the David Horowitz Freedom Center.

Among the factors going into Tancredo's decision on a bid for the White House is the amount of funds he can raise.

"That's unfortunately a big part of this business," he said. "You have to make sure you have enough money to actually get the job done, [or] at least make a good showing. So, there's a lot to think about. It's not just, 'Oh, I think I'll run for president tomorrow.'"

In the wake of this month's election where Democrats regained control of both houses of Congress, some analysts have said Republicans did not stress border and immigration issues enough.

But Tancredo responded, "You listen to some of the pundits, and they will tell you the reason we lost was because we did stress immigration, or at least try to. But the reality is that every place where you could vote on a specific and discreet immigration restriction, people voted for it. The reason why we lost the election was George Bush, Iraq, scandal. Those things and that individual cost us the election. If we had done it correctly, we would have tried our best to make immigration the issue; but, of course, you can't do that if the president is not on your side."

As WND reported, Tancredo blasted President Bush, saying the commander in chief believes America should be more of an idea than an actual place.

"People have to understand what we're talking about here. The president of the United States is an internationalist," Tancredo said. "He is going to do what he can to create a place where the idea of America is just that – it's an idea. It's not an actual place defined by borders. I mean this is where this guy is really going."

www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53039

Thanks

Tancredo stirs the pot again
    Denver Post ^ | December 1, 2006

Posted on 12/01/2006 7:26:50 AM MST by Dane

Tancredo stirs the pot again Article Last Updated:11/30/2006 07:15:30 PM MST
    Congressman Tom Tancredo, who has perfected the art of stirring up political storms, is reveling in controversy again. And, like a pig rolling in mud, he's loving every minute of it.
    Not that we're calling him a pig, of course. But Florida Gov. Jeb Bush had another name for the Littleton Republican: "What a nut," the president's brother told reporters. "I'm just disappointed \[that\] he's a Republican. He doesn't represent my views."
    Tancredo, who has been flirting with a presidential run and possibly a Senate bid, kicked open a hornet's nest again when he recently likened Miami to a "Third World country."
    "You would never know you're in the United States of America," Tancredo told the website WorldNetDaily.com when asked about the effects of immigration. "You would certainly say you're in a Third World country."
    His incendiary words do little to help address the very real problem of illegal immigration in this country. Instead, they merely sparked the obligatory verbal sparring, this time between the Republican governor who felt the need to defend his adopted hometown in a letter touting the city's declining crime rates, and Tancredo, who called him "naive."
    Tancredo could play an important role in Congress on immigration reform should he choose to, but instead it seems like he just continues to use these fleeting moments of notoriety merely to stir up controversy.
    "The debate reached a different level when \[Gov. Bush\] chose to respond, and that's good for me," Tancredo said. "I want this debate to go on."
    Debate on an important topic is critical, but talk can't be the only goal. Americans want, and deserve, solutions for this complex issue.
    Oversimplified rhetoric doesn't help, either. Miami is clearly not as bad as Tancredo makes it out to be (just because pockets of the community don't speak English doesn't make it "Third World"), but everything isn't as rosy as Gov. Bush would like us to believe. All big cities have crime and challenges.
    Tancredo made his comments while in Palm Beach, Fla., for "Restoration Weekend," a conservative conference. This controversy probably won't help "restore" his party's national power. In fact, Republicans with an eye on last month's voting results likely will run from Tancredo and his remarks. Previous inroads made by Republicans with Hispanic voters shrank in November, and some observers believe it was a result of harsh, anti-illegal immigrant rhetoric coming from some GOP politicians.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well Jeb, I'm more disappointed in all of Rockefeller Republicans that call themselves Republicans than I am of Tom Tancredo. THEY don't represent MY views.

Thanks

Well it is about time someone is starting to clean house in the Republican Party, thanks Tom. At least he tells it like is

Thread Information