Thread: So Long, Gideons

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default So Long, Gideons

So Long, Gideons
    In the rooms of Manhattan's trendy Soho Grand Hotel guests can enjoy an eclectic selection of underground music, iPod docking stations, flat-screen TVs and even the living company of a complimentary goldfish. But, alas, the word of God is nowhere to be found. Unlike traditional hotels, the 10-year-old boutique has never put Bibles in its guest rooms, because "society evolves," says hotel spokeswoman Lori DeBlois. Providing Bibles would mean the hotel "would have to take care of every guest's belief."

What might be surprising to many Americans is that the Bible-free room isn't a development just in hip New York City hotels. Across the country upscale accommodations are doing away with the Bible as a standard room amenity. And in its stead have arrived a slew of "lifestyle" products that cater to a younger, hipper (and presumably less religious) clientele. Since 2001 the number of luxury hotels with religious materials in the rooms has dropped by 18 percent, according to the American Hotel and Lodging Association. The Nashville-based Gideons International, which has distributed copies of the Christian scripture to hotels since 1908, declined to comment on this trend.

Edgier chains like the W provide "intimacy kits" with condoms in the minibar, while New York's Mercer Hotel supplies a free condom in each bathroom. Neither has Bibles. Since its recent renovation, the Sofitel L.A. offers a tantalizing lovers' dice game: roll one die for the action to be performed (for example, "kiss," "lick") and the other for the associated body part. The hotel's "mile high" kit, sold in the revamped gift shop, includes a condom, a mini vibrator, a feather tickler and lubricant. The new Indigo hotel in Scottsdale, Ariz., a "branded boutique" launched by InterContinental, also has no Bibles, but it does offer a "One Night Stand" package for guests seeking VIP treatment at local nightclubs and late checkout for the hazy morning after.

The reason for hotels' shift in focus? Leisure travel is up, business travel is down, and younger generations are entering the hotel market. Leisure now leads business by more than 10 percent in U.S. hotel stays, according to travel research firm D. K. Shifflet & Associates. With the lead in technology, design and nightlife, the boutique market is where Generations X, Y and young baby boomers want to be, says CEO Doug Shifflet. And with the boutique sector booming (boutique hotel rooms have grown by 23 percent since 2001, compared to only 7 percent for standard rooms), more traditional chains, which once catered to business clientele, are now desperate to emulate.

Sofitel's brand, for example, is taking "a new direction," says Daniel Entenberg, the "romance concierge" at the chain's flagship Los Angeles location. He was brought in two years ago in an effort to reposition the entire company's image. The chain once had Bibles in all guest rooms, but the corporate office in Dallas recently removed them due to guest inquiries about why other religious texts weren't available.

Even the staid Marriott chain, founded by a Mormon, is debating whether or not to include Bibles in its yet to be named boutique chain, which is set to launch in partnership with hipster hotelier Ian Schrager, who created the '70s disco Studio 54 and later New York City's Morgans, Royalton and Paramount hotels—which are largely credited with kicking off the boutique hotel craze. Schrager says he hasn't yet discussed the Bible amenity with Marriott, though he adds that his properties have never had in-room Bibles.

Marriott spokesman John Wolf says the Bible question is premature for the new venture, which he describes as "cutting-edge," "more urban" and "less values-oriented." Now, there's a marketing slogan no one's tried yet: "Sleep with us. Leave the values at home."

Thanks

Default Re: So Long, Gideons

Well, this is long overdue. I've wondered why it wasn't changing at least 10 years ago. Yet, I was just thinking about the inevitable removal of the Bibles.

There is a possible solution that I see for this whole atmospheric change, which is for young people to start being disgusted with the notion that they are expected to be self-centered dogs that relish non-committal encounters, encouraged to throw out any real responsibility as if it belongs in the dark ages, and treated like animals who cannot do anything other than act out on urges and fantasies. At our core, don't we all just really wish to be truly loved and accepted and treated with a little respect? I think so.

I mean, this isn't about a place like Las Vegas where people go to play, hotels are places where people have to stay. I have a prayer for these places: may they lose a great deal of money due to offending business people and travelers who have the money to spend there regularly but will not refer anybody else even if they don't voice a complaint. Amen.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

How about this for a very general prayer

"May everyone receive what they truly deserve. "

This removes the question of hypocrisy by judging another and placing the matter to a higher power to judge.

If everyone gets what they deserve... Murders and rapists may get judged firmly. The kind may be rewarded for their unselfish ways. In either case, it removes ones self from the passing of judgment.

I mildly question the removal of religious texts in favor of hedonist pleasure kits, but so far as my responsibility, I can choose whether to patron those places if I like. Still, a hotel is not a church but a private business so whether they have any religious text is irrelevant to me in that sense.

I have been to the W Hotel in LA a few times, but not to stay the night. I was meeting people for work mostly.

I have been to the Sky Bar lounge housed at the Mondrian and typically a Gallery room as I went for birthdays and such where we had access to Sky Bar and a room to relax.

I will say this. The Sky Bar was an access controlled place and if one were not a guest or did not know someone, they would not get in. In the evening the whole patio was closed off for access control and had elegant beds everywhere and on the far side near the pool a hut like Sky Bar and to top it off a really grand view over LA.

As to issues over bibles there or not, I never looked to see if their was one. My first priority has generally not been to locate the nearest bible. However, in travels I have a few times referenced a nightstand bible by picking it up and reading sections. They were always so crisp and new.

I truly recommend a visit to the Mondrian and Sky Bar if in LA and looking for a view and top notch service.

check out the pictures:
    http://www.mondrianhotel.com/mondrian_hotel_skybar.asp

If you select a visual tour check out Gallery A. I think its the room we'd get for festivities. Man that place was great!

Thanks

It's good to know I'm not the only one to say a prayer. I agree to being judgmental. It was just about the time I started being a responsible parent and knowing what I didn't want my kids involved in that I lost my balance and fell off of that fence that had been getting increasingly thin as they went from little babies to near teenybopper age. I fell off on the right side, of course. lol
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I have never seen a Gideon. I don't know what they look like, nor how many limbs they have. Have they ever been seen in the wild? And how do they carry ALL those Bibles around and drop them in Hotel rooms anyway?

And, if they can get in to you room and drop a Bible, just how secure IS that room anyway????

I put these creatures in the same category with snipes, Big Foot (big Feet?), Nagas and chupacabra. Things that have never actually been seen, but the leave evidence behind. (Poop, hair, hide and people with wet pants, in that order)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Rick, I have actually seen a Gideon, Rick! The one that I saw had human characteristics and it was a male that spoke our language. As best as I can recall, he did some talking about, you guessed it, the Gideons, and gathered up money to place those Bibles so that people could have access to them free of charge, including taking them home. Um, the Bibles, not the other Gideons. I've never stayed in a hotel and not taken out a Bible placed by a Gideon to read from a little while. I guess it's time to byoB.

Thanks

I have to say, Aplomb, that I'm not sure of your statements. After all, you were the only one present there to see the Gideon and how do we know that you weren't abducted by them and brainwashed or... ummm you know.. probed or something?

Like the aliens and ufos out there that so many see but can't verify because there aren't pictures or other eyewitnesses, I have to doubt your story.

On the other hand, I have personally stayed in MANY hotels, and I HAVE seen the evidence left behind with my OWN EYES. The Bibles are generally green in color, and normal sized, and they even have red lettering in the New Testament. On the front, bottom, right side of the cover is a golden stamped symbol and the words "The Gideons" on it.

Thus, I believe they exist at this point.

I just haven't seen one and I can't say that this is absolute proof at this point. Just like that Big Foot footprint and the subsequent plaster cast we made, it was evidence, but it's not acceptable by science as proof they exist.

Just like the tens of thousands of photos of unidentified flying objects that have been seen since cameras were invented, we can't say those are REAL - can't prove the photos aren't hoaxes and are thus unacceptable as scientific proof.

I guess the evidence of these Bibles in hotel rooms MUST therefore, fall into the same category. Oh, and don't tell me they have a web site... hell you can't believe ANYTHING you see on the internet.

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I've seen one too! I was one of several hundred people who all sat politely and listened to him talk (yes, he was a male ... hispanic-looking ... midwestern US speech delivery). He was also encouraging cash donations to help offset the cost of Bible distribution ... but (and here's the odd thing) the distribution wasn't going to be for hotels -- they were being sent to foreign countries. Not sure of the color or size of those Bibles, or if they contained an identifying stamp ... but I'm guessing they had similar internal content.

-Bryk

Thanks

Distorted memories. They come from wishful thinking perhaps. Course, it is also possible that this guy exists but was some hoaxter looking to get your money. Does anybody know if this guy was checked out or by whom?

Thread Information