Thread: Surfer Dude Stuns Physicists With Theory Of Everything

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Surfer Dude Stuns Physicists With Theory Of Everything

Surfer Dude Stuns Physicists With Theory Of Everything
    An impoverished surfer has drawn up a new theory of the universe, seen by some as the Holy Grail of physics, which has received rave reviews from scientists.

Garrett Lisi, 39, has a doctorate but no university affiliation and spends most of the year surfing in Hawaii, where he has also been a hiking guide and bridge builder (when he slept in a jungle yurt).

In winter, he heads to the mountains near Lake Tahoe, Nevada, where he snowboards. "Being poor sucks," Lisi says. "It's hard to figure out the secrets of the universe when you're trying to figure out where you and your girlfriend are going to sleep next month."

Despite this unusual career path, his proposal is remarkable because, by the arcane standards of particle physics, it does not require highly complex mathematics.

Even better, it does not require more than one dimension of time and three of space, when some rival theories need ten or even more spatial dimensions and other bizarre concepts. And it may even be possible to test his theory, which predicts a host of new particles, perhaps even using the new Large Hadron Collider atom smasher that will go into action near Geneva next year.

Although the work of 39 year old Garrett Lisi still has a way to go to convince the establishment, let alone match the achievements of Albert Einstein, the two do have one thing in common: Einstein also began his great adventure in theoretical physics while outside the mainstream scientific establishment, working as a patent officer, though failed to achieve the Holy Grail, an overarching explanation to unite all the particles and forces of the cosmos.

Now Lisi, currently in Nevada, has come up with a proposal to do this. Lee Smolin at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, describes Lisi's work as "fabulous". "It is one of the most compelling unification models I've seen in many, many years," he says.

"Although he cultivates a bit of a surfer-guy image its clear he has put enormous effort and time into working the complexities of this structure out over several years," Prof Smolin tells The Telegraph.

"Some incredibly beautiful stuff falls out of Lisi's theory," adds David Ritz Finkelstein at the Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta. "This must be more than coincidence and he really is touching on something profound."

The new theory reported today in New Scientist has been laid out in an online paper entitled "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything" by Lisi, who completed his doctorate in theoretical physics in 1999 at the University of California, San Diego.

He has high hopes that his new theory could provide what he says is a "radical new explanation" for the three decade old Standard Model, which weaves together three of the four fundamental forces of nature: the electromagnetic force; the strong force, which binds quarks together in atomic nuclei; and the weak force, which controls radioactive decay.

The reason for the excitement is that Lisi's model also takes account of gravity, a force that has only successfully been included by a rival and highly fashionable idea called string theory, one that proposes particles are made up of minute strings, which is highly complex and elegant but has lacked predictions by which to do experiments to see if it works.

But some are taking a cooler view. Prof Marcus du Sautoy, of Oxford University and author of Finding Moonshine, told the Telegraph: "The proposal in this paper looks a long shot and there seem to be a lot things still to fill in."

And a colleague Eric Weinstein in America added: "Lisi seems like a hell of a guy. I'd love to meet him. But my friend Lee Smolin is betting on a very very long shot."

Lisi's inspiration lies in the most elegant and intricate shape known to mathematics, called E8 - a complex, eight-dimensional mathematical pattern with 248 points first found in 1887, but only fully understood by mathematicians this year after workings, that, if written out in tiny print, would cover an area the size of Manhattan.

E8 encapsulates the symmetries of a geometric object that is 57-dimensional and is itself is 248-dimensional. Lisi says "I think our universe is this beautiful shape."

What makes E8 so exciting is that Nature also seems to have embedded it at the heart of many bits of physics. One interpretation of why we have such a quirky list of fundamental particles is because they all result from different facets of the strange symmetries of E8.

Lisi's breakthrough came when he noticed that some of the equations describing E8's structure matched his own. "My brain exploded with the implications and the beauty of the thing," he tells New Scientist. "I thought: 'Holy crap, that's it!'"

What Lisi had realised was that he could find a way to place the various elementary particles and forces on E8's 248 points. What remained was 20 gaps which he filled with notional particles, for example those that some physicists predict to be associated with gravity.

Physicists have long puzzled over why elementary particles appear to belong to families, but this arises naturally from the geometry of E8, he says. So far, all the interactions predicted by the complex geometrical relationships inside E8 match with observations in the real world. "How cool is that?" he says.

The crucial test of Lisi's work will come only when he has made testable predictions. Lisi is now calculating the masses that the 20 new particles should have, in the hope that they may be spotted when the Large Hadron Collider starts up.

"The theory is very young, and still in development," he told the Telegraph. "Right now, I'd assign a low (but not tiny) likelyhood to this prediction.

"For comparison, I think the chances are higher that LHC will see some of these particles than it is that the LHC will see superparticles, extra dimensions, or micro black holes as predicted by string theory. I hope to get more (and different) predictions, with more confidence, out of this E8 Theory over the next year, before the LHC comes online."

Thanks

Default Re: Surfer Dude Stuns Physicists With Theory Of Everything

I wonder if this guy ever found a real job?

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I think he might be waiting for them to find the Higgs bosun. Last year, in August, they said 95% that it doesn't exist. This year in March they're saying it probably exists at around 125 Gev.

They say by the end of 2012, they'll have the answer.

I will note that in Science Fiction, discovery of the Higgs Bosun usually results in the destruction of the planet. My guess is they discover the higgs on December 21, 2012.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Update on Higgs boson.

Intrade has it on three listings. One is here, currently at a 60% prediction to be announced by Dec 31, 2015

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/co...tractId=737646

From a post in that link I found this gem:

http://physicsworld.com/blog/2012/06...erence_fo.html

CERN calls press conference for 4 July…

By Hamish Johnston
    We have heard from a reliable source that CERN will be holding a press conference on 4 July. This is the first day of the International Conference on High Energy Physics in Melbourne, Australia, where physicists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) are expected to unveil the latest results in their search for the Higgs boson.

Earlier this week the Physics World editorial team played out a few scenarios regarding how CERN would deal with the possibly that data presented in Melbourne would tip 2011’s preliminary sighting of the Higgs to “discovery status”.

A big problem with an “official announcement” in Australia is that the country is a “non-member” of CERN – and therefore it seems very unlikely that the discovery would be unveiled in a country that hasn’t paid a significant chunk of the LHC’s price tag. Also, CERN’s PR guru James Gillies is on the record as saying that the Higgs announcement will be made in Geneva.

The only option, it seemed, was for CERN to organize a press conference in Geneva before or during the Melbourne conference to announce the discovery – and it looks like that’s what it has done.

But this introduces another problem. The press conference is scheduled for 09.00 Geneva time, presumably because this is 17.00 Melbourne time. However, this is 02.00 at Fermilab in Chicago – which is keen to emphasize the huge role that lab has played in the hunt for the Higgs. Oh, and 4 July is a national holiday in the US. Apparently, the Americans are not pleased!

Well, that’s enough speculation…I’ve got to get my ticket to Geneva booked!

Posted by Hamish Johnston on Jun 22, 2012 3:50 PM | Permalink
    TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
    http://www.iop.org/mt4/mt-tb.cgi/4475

Thread Information