Thread: Russia Selling Iran Sophisticated New Air Defense System

Thanks

Default Russia Selling Iran Sophisticated New Air Defense System

Russia Selling Iran Sophisticated New Air Defense System

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

TEHRAN, Iran — Russia is selling Iran a new and sophisticated air defense system that experts say is capable of dealing a serious blow against would-be attackers.

The new S-300 air defense system signals growing miitary cooperation between Moscow and Tehran, Iranian Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar said Wednesday.

"The S-300 air defense system will be delivered to Iran on the basis of a contract signed with Russia in the past," state television quoted Najjar as saying.

Najjar didn't say when or how many of the S-300 anti-aircraft missile defense systems would be shipped to Iran.

Earlier this year, Russia delivered 29 Tor-M1 air defense missile systems to Iran under a $700 million contract signed in December 2005.

Russian officials wouldn't comment on the Iranian statement, but the Interfax news agency quoted an unidentified source in the Russian military-industrial complex as saying that a contract for the missiles delivery had been signed several years ago and envisaged the delivery of several dozen S-300 missile systems.

The S-300 is much more powerful and versatile weapon than the Tor-M1 missile systems supplied earlier, which were capable of hitting airborne targets flying at up to 20,000 feet.

The S-300 is capable of shooting down aircraft, cruise missiles and ballistic missile warheads at ranges of up to 95 miles and at altitudes of up to 90,000 feet. Russian military officials boast that it excels the U.S.-built Patriot missiles currently being deployed in Israel.

Rumors about the sale of S-300 missile systems to Iran have circulated for a long time, but Russian officials consistently denied it.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Russia Selling Iran Sophisticated New Air Defense System

Iran Announces Purchase of Missiles from Russia
    Jerusalem Post ^ | December 27, 2007 | Staff

Russia is to supply Iran with new S-300 air defense systems, Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar said Wednesday, a sign of growing military cooperation between Moscow and Teheran.

"The S-300 air defense system will be delivered to Iran on the basis of a contract signed with Russia in the past," state television quoted Najjar as saying.

Najjar didn't say when or how many of the S-300 anti-aircraft missile defense systems would be shipped to Iran. The S-300s will reportedly be the first such shipment to the Persian country.

The S-300 anti-aircraft missile defense system is capable of shooting down aircraft, cruise missiles and ballistic missile warheads at ranges of over 90 miles and at altitudes of about 90,000 feet. Russian military officials boast that its capabilities outstrip the US Patriot missile system.

Earlier this year, Russia delivered 29 Tor-M1 to Iran under a $700 million contract signed in December 2005.

Najjar said S-300 missile was one of the most sophisticated weapons in the world, with a longer range than the Tor-M1 surface-to-air missiles.

"While Tor-M1 missiles can hit targets at low altitude, S-300 missile have an extraordinary performance against targets at high altitude," Najjar said.

Russian officials wouldn't comment on the Iranian statement, but the Interfax news agency quoted an unidentified source in the Russian military-industrial complex as saying that a contract for the missiles delivery had been signed several years ago and envisaged the delivery of several dozen S-300 missile systems.

The S-300 is much more powerful and versatile weapon than the Tor-M1 missile systems supplied earlier which were capable of hitting aerial targets flying at up to 6,000 meters.

Rumors about the sale of S-300 missile systems to Iran have circulated for a long time, but Russian officials consistently denied it.

(Excerpt) Read more at jpost.com ...
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Do we know if the S-300 actually works?
    Beetle - Give me liberty or give me something to aim at.

A monster lies in wait for me
    A stew of pain and misery
    But feircer still in life and limb
    the me that lays in wait for him

Hey liberal!

You can't handle the truth!

Thanks

Well, *I* don't know one way or the other, but I'm sure US intelligence has information on that system.

I'd bet it "works", but lately everything the Russians have fielded have not operated as advertised. It seems to me that Syria is using some kind of Russian defensive systems and they failed to shoot down (or detect) Israeli aircraft recently.
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure if the S-300 has ever been used in combat. I tend to think not. But, it is supposed to be the analogue of the US Patriot missile system. Then there is the S-400 which is a slightly more advanced (i.e. longer detection range, longer range missiles) system.

The system of the Syrians which the Israelis defeated was the Pantsyr which is a close-in air defense system. Probably better suited for air defense against helos and the like in with a tank group or similar deployment. It is also a fairly new system and may still be getting the bugs worked out. And I'm sure the end users appreciate that! The, on the other hand, S-300 is much longer range.

Also, keep in mind that Russia never (except maybe to China) exports their best equipment. They always have their domestic model and their "dumbed down" export "monkey model".

Thread Information