Thread: Things I learned on this winters vaction

Thanks

Default Things I learned on this winters vaction

! Some Patriot fans are poor losers!

2. At night the wind blowing through Golden Valley, next to Kingman sounds exactly like a B2 leaving Whiteman AFB.

3. 952 miles is too far to drive in one day!

4. The attendent at the McDonalds on the Kansas Turnpike named Renne, deserves a raise for finding me a bandage on short notice. Sorry about bleeding on the floor Renne!

5. There is no place like Home, !
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Things I learned on this winters vaction

Ahhh, hmmm. What did I learn this winter thus far.

1. On a trip to the mountains above Albany NY during the New Years, its frickin cold.

2. Same trip. The Excursion SUV is a monolith fun vehicle of opulent feel.

3. I miss Southern California's weather idea of winter.

4. Winter wind is evil. It really is the wind that is hurtful over intense cold temps.

5. Long Johns help - a lot. Not required in SoCal

6. Fresh fallen snow is perty. Real perty, like in one o those Courier and Ives pictures.

7. The new TSA security puffer-scanner box thing in Albany airport is a trip to be in. Helps to not be cavity searched for no reason.

8. Cardhardt makes GREAT winter coats.

9. Ice is only fun to drive on at slow speeds.

10. Its a myth that ANYONE ever walked both ways to work or school uphill both ways.

Thanks

Its a myth that ANYONE ever walked both ways to work or school uphill both ways.
    I must have a time memory warp. Phil you are a supreme nerd and always on the money so check me if I'm wrong. Home/hill/school. School/hill home.

Hills have 2 slopes- so put that in your cartesian cuadrants. And furthermore- 2 hills have 4 slopes.
    Plus there were bees, snakes, heavy knapsacks and even curbs that seemed like hills at times. Plus I had to cross a bridge, the shortcuts were not allowed. If one got lost or took the wrong turn- there were (so I'm told) kids smokin in the woods. There were even sluts at times on the corner. And corners have no slopes? Whoah!

Nobody walked uphill both ways. Nobody that was anybody would deny this. Nobody knows de trouble I seen.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Plus I grew up in a log cabin and there were 2 big hills for kindergarden. And if you farted...-thrice, the teacher publicly prompted "someone" to do potty.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Phil, in all honesty, I DID walk uphill to school both ways. As a matter of fact we did it in several feet of snow too. Fortunately we had shoes.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

1) Grizzly bears DO exist in Colorado and they visit your camp.

2) Certain neighbors are busybodies and when the great purge comes, they will be the first to go.

3) They are only "cute" when they are kittens (kids, dogs, cats, and pretty much most anything else that eats, sleeps, breathes and breeds....)

4) Kids don't only move out, they move in.

5) You can KICK kids out of the house more than once.

6) Jamaica as a country, sucks, but as a vacation spot is awesome.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

It is good to see that I am not alone in my quest for knowledge this winter!
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

1. Saying Uh-Huh to the wife while playing a video game can commit you to remodelling the master bath.
    2. Ice isn't as fun as when I was a child.

3. Snow Days at School are a punishment from God.

4. Missourians are always shocked that it snows and promptly wreck their cars... They get a bonus if they get yours too.

5. Rick's "Grizzly" was likely a hairy environmentalist that Rick shot at and had to explain his doing so.

6. A wife can always find a reason, you the husband, need to go outside during the worst winter storms.

7. I once waited for a school bus in 40 below zero weather in Alaska... I cry like a baby now if it dips below 40 above zero.

8. On the bright side, I can say Merry Christmas again without forced re-education camp training by the libs.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

samizdat and Rick,

I stand corrected. As logical and nerdy as I am, it never occurred to me to see the explanations you both gave as ways to go uphill both ways. Mainly because it includes downhill both ways I suppose. The linear thought implies one slope one direction negating a possible two way uphill walk.

I learn more every day. Now I can explain that old phrase with ease and truth if I ever really use it and cite people I know as the cited examples. hats off!

I was unaware Rick encountered a wooly enviro - er Grizzly Bear. Get any pictures? "eh booboo, sit by that pikinik basket while the man takes a picture" J/k. How cool was that though, really.

Brian, I used to think 50 was a cold night in California. I'd wear a hat and jacket. Here in the east its about wind but most any temp down to 25 is ok. Weird.

As a kid I lived in snow and when I moved to California as a kid, my first winter was 'cold' Not before that. Odd.

Thanks

I fumbled the camera, while grabbing my gun, Phil.

I DID however, get pictures of a smaller black bear the same day, at a distance.

The Griz walked into the campsite. The black bear avoided us deliberately.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Most bears will try to avoid a camp unless there's plenty of food scent about. A griz wondering in is troublesome. Seen it before, and it never ends well in the long term. The griz ends up having to be put down, but usually after some unfortunate person is mauled and/or killed. A kid was recently killed by a bear before the father could place his gun sights on it. I think that was in the news this past summer. Anyway, a griz only enters a camp for one of two reasons... Food left out, (not damned likely with Rick), or because it no longer fears men. The latter is always bad. But with tons of "campers" entering the woods these days without weapons and without sense, we can only expect to see it more often.

I'm reminded of something my grandfather told me once when I was pretty small; after we watched an old movie about a man eating griz with Clint Walker called "The Night Of The Grizzly"... He said, "There's no such thing as a man eating bear. Usually it's a sore tooth bear. (One that's gone insane with rage for some reason). Because a man is meat the same as a deer. What keeps men off the menu is their willingness to kill the bear and the bear knows that. If men quit being willing to kill bears or decide to "save" them... Guess what? We're back on the menu. And probably rightfully so." I have since, always gone heeled into the woods or mountains. I personally prefer a long barreled 44 SA straped low with a 14 inch Jim B sitting cross saddle. If I go very far, I'll take along a Marlin complimentary.

We don't see "sore tooth" bears much anymore in these attacks and encounters. Almost always it's because the bear has learned to no longer fear people. I grew up in the Rockies and the high mountain deserts of the west. I've seen the way tourists think it's so cute that they can feed bears and other wildlife, "people" food, right from their cars. I've been in camps where they fried meat in a pan and left the remains sit all day at the edge of the fire. It's easy to see what happens when stupid people do most of the breeding, and they all go on vacation.

I miss the days when the west was more open and I was still there. Damn I hate Missouri. Especially in the winter. /sigh
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

Thanks

Actually, we had just had lunch or dinner, I forget which now and I'd put everything away except for some M&Ms we were snacking on, and a bottle of our mead.

The bear perhaps DID smell our camp food, but it's unlikely because the wind was blowing from the bear's direction and I actually smelled him before he even saw me.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information