Thread: Deer crossing signs

Thanks

Default Deer crossing signs

Growing up in rural Missouri I am aware of what Deer Crossing signs look like. However on this winters trip out west we would occasionally run across signs with different size antlers posted. Not being a member of the Mammal Militia, or the Bambi Brigade, in other words a non-hunter, I was forced to rely on my quick half-wit when Ms. Luke asked why? I told her that was the international sign for "Antelope playing".
    She didn't but it either.
    So I figure there are sportsmen on this board that would know the correct answer to the question why are the antlers bigger on signs in various parts of the country?
    Deer/antelope/elk/moose crossings are different?
    Deer/antelope/elk/moose are hornier in upper elevations?
    I get so confused.
    Inquiring minds want to know!
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Default Re: Deer crossing signs

In our travels across the country, my wife and I have found that different areas have fatter deer. On the signs, not necessarily crossing the road.

Some have big antlers, some have smaller antlers, but some are just FAT deer, and some are little, skinny things that seem to be barely fed.

But, my interpretation of this is simple. These are "state signs" and thus, each state has an artist's rendition of what the deer should look like.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

New Mexico has different crossing signs within 30 miles of each other. I thought perhaps in higher elevations the deer were bigger? I nearly ran into an Elk that was wandering along the road coming into Flagstaff. No crossing signs were around so I guess the Elk could not cross there.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Maybe in NM it's a "county" thing then?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information