Thread: Anarchists Prepare to Crash 2008 GOP Convention

Thanks

Default Anarchists Prepare to Crash 2008 GOP Convention

Anarchists Prepare to Crash 2008 GOP Convention
    CNSNEWS.com ^ | April 23, 2008 | Evan Moore

(CNSNews.com) - Self-described anarchists and "anti-authoritarians" are planning to "shut down" the Republican National Convention, which will take place in St. Paul, Minn., on Sept. 1-4.

Mindful of the upcoming protests, the city's police force said it will quintuple its numbers to deter possible aggressive action by the activists.

Last month, the Grand Rapids (Michigan) Chapter of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) reported that over the past year, protest planning for the GOP event had grown at a "considerable pace" since the SDS endorsed disrupting the proceedings at its 2007 national convention.

At that time, the SDS adopted a three-step plan to disrupt the first day of the convention.

First, protesters plan to blockade the Xcel Energy Center, which will host the Republican convention. Second, they plan to disrupt delegates' transportation to the center. And finally, protesters plan to block the five bridges linking St. Paul to the neighboring city of Minneapolis.

"Across the country, groups have been talking -- and talking seriously -- about shutting down the RNC via one of the largest direct-action protests in years," the Grand Rapids SDS declared.

The Grand Rapids chapter did not return requests for comment by press time, and the group's umbrella organization, the "RNC Welcoming Committee, Crash the Convention!" does not respond to "on the spot" media-interviews as a matter of policy.

However, on the coalition's Web site, the Welcoming Committee notes that it is protesting the RNC because it's coming here," and adds, "Oh, and because as a political party which controls an enormous portion of state power, the Republicans are responsible for an enormous amount of the horror and devastation currently experienced by the world and its peoples."

The "broader purpose" for protesting is "to continue to build a culture of liberation, where all people can be free," the Web site says. "Most people are appalled with what the government is doing, but their dissent stops with voting for the other guy, or with cynical disengagement from the political system. Our resistance is justified, and we want our resistance to be constructive and creative."

The "RNC Welcoming Committee, Crash the Convention!" also voices opposition to the Democratic National Convention, saying, "We resist the politics of representation and support a vision of life where we run our own affairs, directly and without political parties.""

However, indications are that the SDS is not as far along in organizing its plan as it claims. The Grand Rapids chapter admits that a "significant victory at the RNC would giv[e] our movement a much-needed influx of new energy, tactics, and experiences."

The Welcoming Committee also is asking for a variety of tools to support its efforts, including money, buses and bicycles for transportation, storage space, food, housing, and telecommunication equipment.

In an interview with Cybercast News Service , Tom Walsh, the public information officer for the St. Paul Police Department, said he had "no idea" how many people are expected to protest at the Republican National Convention, but he said the department was planning on making "zero arrests, at this point."

Walsh noted that the city was not expecting protests like those that disrupted the 1999 meeting of the World Trade Organization in Seattle, but was preparing for more subdued protests like those of the 2004 party conventions in Boston and New York.

However, Walsh said "the entire site is the responsibility of the St. Paul Police Department" and, therefore, police officers would be deployed both within the Xcel Center and throughout the area.

"People who are currently working in investigative positions and detective positions are going to be in uniform and working this event," Walsh said. "The total St. Paul Police Department is about 600 police officers. And around 3,000 officers are going to be required [for security at the event], so we're going to be getting assistance from a great number of other agencies."

The police department has purchased 234 tasers for use by patrol officers. Walsh said the order was not made in response to convention-related security threats from protest groups, but rather a request by officers on patrol who view them as effective tools of law enforcement.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Anarchists Prepare to Crash 2008 GOP Convention

Bring it scumbags...

Thanks

I would like to crash a anarchist party or parade. I wonder if they would care though because it is anarchy anyhow.

About a year ago them traitorous dirt bags (anarchist) spray painted the Capital Hill steps. Then there was a threat that they would spray paint the Vietnam Wall in DC on March 17, 2007. At least 25,000 of us (us being bikers, true patriots, bloggers, and Vietnam Vets) got a permit to stand near the wall and protect her. The Parks department took the threat serious and put metal detectors in that you had to pass through before you could get to the wall. About 10,000 of the Jihad Jane, Dingy Sheehan, Code Pinko, and anarchist were there. Then in September of last year, they threatened the wall again. They were marching on DC the weekend of September 15th, I think. Well, before that date some traitorous dirt bags squirted oil on the Vietnam Wall. It didn't hurt the granite, but it dripped into concrete and that soaked it up. They have it pretty well cleaned now, but still. Anyhow, we didn't stop them that time. There is a 5,000 dollar reward for the person who did it. If you ask me, that aint enough to keep the scum bag from turning into pig shit. I have a good feeling it is the anarchist who did that shit. It is in their nature, but I wouldn't put it past a code pinko too.

I don't like what these people say, but I would fight for their right to say it. I would also fight to keep our monuments from being desecrated by treasonous vandals.
    Beetle - Give me liberty or give me something to aim at.

A monster lies in wait for me
    A stew of pain and misery
    But feircer still in life and limb
    the me that lays in wait for him

Hey liberal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can't handle the truth!

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

That's cool you went and guarded the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    ...some traitorous dirt bags squirted oil on the Vietnam Wall.
    That pisses me off.

And what kind of idiot would think doing that would make any kind of difference? War has been over for a while.

That's nothing but pure disrespect, and deserving of a beat down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
    That pisses me off.

And what kind of idiot would think doing that would make any kind of difference? War has been over for a while.

That's nothing but pure disrespect, and deserving of a beat down.
    I agree. And it's beyond politics left or right. That war is long over and part of the history books. An act of vandalisim at this point has no protest or political point behind it. It's simply disrespectful act against the fallen, and family and friends who loved the fallen.

Thread Information