Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Deals!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Hot Deals!

I emailed Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet about the availability of the harness for this chest rig. As figured, they said it did not come with one. I suppose any I've seen that have come with it were just luck of the draw.

I tried a local surplus store to see if I could find one there, no luck.

I've been discussing the situation on ARFCOM in the thread I found out about these. At first I was set on making a new H-harness from scratch but another poster recommended building a rear out of a MOLLE panel or hydro bladder carrier. The thought of the bladder carrier prompted me to dig through my gear pile since I knew I had a couple extra. I found a Camelbak carrier from my brother who was in the Marines (not my picture, mine is all Coyote brown):

I won't clutter up this thread with all of the details of what it took but after some work I managed to integrate the Camelbak as the harness and back of the chest rig which now gives it the ability to carry water, padded shoulder straps, as well as some small rear storage and MOLLE space:

It's a really perfect match between the two but it isn't 100% done. I've got some plastic buckle hardware on order from SKD Tactical and Supply Captain to improve the setup. If anyone cares about the details I can start a new thread elsewhere but otherwise I'll leave it at this.

Thanks

Black M2 PMAGs on sale at Primary Arms for $8.99, limit 10.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul-P...mag571-blk.htm

Price shows $12.30 on the page but add them to your cart and use coupon code "PMAG2". Sale ends at midnight 9/3.

Thanks

Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet (mil surplus straight from the .Gov, where I got the chest rig mentioned earlier) is having a 25% off entire order sale for Labor Day. Good through 9/2.

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Hi Ryan,

Got links or details on making that harness and or some good ideas on packs and chest gear?

Things are getting more intense by day and field ready equipment for your gear is something I would like to get done...sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

v7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Yes, I'd be happy to post a more detailed thread later tonight. Super easy to put together with the Source Hydration Carrier and the chest rig, both available from USRO.

Got another hot deal...

35% off all Tactical Tailor made items until 9/8.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vector7 View Post
    Hi Ryan,

Got links or details on making that harness and or some good ideas on packs and chest gear?

Things are getting more intense by day and field ready equipment for your gear is something I would like to get done...sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

v7
    vector,
    Was just about to get started on the writeup for putting together that harness. Went to USRO and saw they're out of those chest rigs.

They do have these MOLLE H-Harnesses for $45 though: http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...rge-p/4625.htm

It is ready to go as is but you will need some magazine pouches:

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...uch-p/4024.htm

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...431-p/2181.htm

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...-II-p/4554.htm (This one would match the camo pattern of the harness)

You can also add a hydration carrier to it if you need one.

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...tem-p/4500.htm

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...762-p/5037.htm

I got the top one. Both will need a replacement bladder. Those can be found on eBay for under $10 shipped.

USRO also has FLC vests, and while they do work well, I like the harness/chest rig setups better. Your call though.

Don't forget that you can take 25% off those prices!

I can still do a write up on my chest rig builds though if you want.

As for packs, I highly recommend looking for a surplus ILBE pack. It is a big, very high quality, long-term pack with tons of space. There are a lot of them on the market and can be had very cheap making them an excellent value. Check Craigslist near you. I had no problem finding several. I posted about mine here. Just make sure if you get one that it has the waistbelt, top cover, and internal radio pouch. Having to buy those separate adds up.

If you're looking for a smaller, assault style pack I have an Eagle III-A but Eagle has been tied up on .mil contracts and those are near impossible to find now. There are other similar ones out there. Tactical Tailor makes a couple and they're having their Labor Day sale I mentioned above. USRO also has these: http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...Bag-p/1521.htm

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Ruck For This Useful Post:

vector7 (August 31st, 2013)

Thanks

Thank you Ryan for the valuable information!

I'm going pull the trigger on the matching gear.

Anything you could add on a smart chest rig setup would be greatly appreciated.

v7

Thanks

Sure thing.

It's all going to come down to personal preference but if I were putting a rig together using that H-Harness as a base and getting stuff solely from USRO, I'd go with the mag pouches in the second link. ACU isn't the greatest camo but you can always dye it with RIT to get it darker. The reason I'd go with those mag pouches is because they're low profile, important when prone. The ones in the third link are 3 deep (no idea if they have internal separators) and are going to stick way out. The ones in the first link would also be a good choice since they're 2 deep mag pouches, a good in-between.

With the ones in the second link, you'll also be able to closely approximate the chest rig I built.

Most folks tend to carry anywhere between 6-8 magazines on a chest rig. A lot of people will opt to go with a real lightweight setup and only carry 4. A few even go in the opposite direction and carry 10 or even 12. Not a fan if going that direction. Ammo gets heavy fast. 8 is what I have on my plate carrier, 4 2-deep pouches. With those I can scale down by 2s if I need to. I do have another 2 on my war belt. Those are there so that if I need to, I can grab some gear quick, have rifle mags handy, and not have to worry about putting on a plate carrier or chest rig but at the same time I can wear it with my plate carrier if I want.

By the way, don't be surprised if, even after you get things setup the way you think will work with pouches, you end up moving stuff around. That's the great thing about MOILLE/PALS! I've even moved stuff around as recently as 2 months ago and that's with having the same gear for the last 3 years. Again, just need to find out what serves you best or works best in a given situation.

Thanks

From what I gather this is what you're suggesting...

TEM DESCRIPTION
    QTY
    EACH
    TOTAL
    USMC Coyote 3L Source Hydration System
    [+] View list of options I selected
    $9.44
    $9.44
    ACU Three Magazine Side By Side Pouch | New
    [+] View list of options I selected
    $6.99
    $6.99
    $44.99
    $44.99
    Labor Day 2013
    -$15.36

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Yep. Make sure you get 2 of those mag shingle. Also, might be a good idea to look through their other pouches and see if there's anything else you'd want to put on it. Maybe an admin pouch, radio pouch, first aid pouch. Stuff like that.

Also, don't get hung up on the color. Like I mentioned before, the fabric can be dyed with RIT or you can just rattlecan it. I've got a couple pieces like that which started out solid color and got a little spray paint to help break it up.

Thanks

Looking at the multipurpose utility pouches.

MOLLE II Double/Single Multi-Purpose Pouch

Need to make sure it fits the radios we got with the extended battery.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

The last time I looked at packs was years ago at a BLACKHAWK x-4 OPSEC pack.

What do you think of that pack?

Any recommendations on stuff similar or better?

Just saw this...nice but the price is, well...not cheap.

Found some packs here and here and even here too.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Blackhawk rates an "okay" from me. I'd rather hit Craigslist or eBay to try and find something milsurp. I'd rate them a bit of a step above Condor or Voodoo Tactical in terms of quality.

VT Army Navy is a good store but do know that they do sell Condor and Voodoo stuff so if something doesn't have a manufacturer listed, email them about it.

Rothco is mixed. They do make stuff for military contract but even then it isn't the highest quality but will get the job done.

Don't know anything about the store at your 3rd link or Sandpiper, the place they claim makes those packs.

Eberlestock is excellent and their prices reflect that.

Like I said, I'd check your local Craigslist to see what you can come up with. Just search for "molle" and I'll bet you get some good hits. Now is the time to pick up milsurp with all the troops demobilizing and getting out, just like the boom in the milsurp market after Vietnam. You should see how the prices on ACH/MICH helmets have dropped!

Thanks

Thanks for the tips Ryan, greatly appreciated!

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Last day for SKD Tactical's Labor Day sale. Today it is 12% off their entire in-stock inventory. A note, their prices are almost always the lowest around already on tons of stuff.

Thanks

Mountain House #10 cans up to 54% off.

http://campingsurvival.com/mountain-...32013859AMcopy

Also, use codes "sb" or "jwr" for an additional 5% off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    Mountain House #10 cans up to 54% off.

http://campingsurvival.com/mountain-...32013859AMcopy

Also, use codes "sb" or "jwr" for an additional 5% off.
    What is your favorite cans?

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Just got my latest Sportsman's Guide Military Surplus catalog and on the inside of the cover they have an ad that says they have ACH helmets for $99 (non-member price)/$89 (member price). Price is supposed to be good until 10/31 then it goes up. It does NOT specify size. Assuming they are a size you can use, this is a pretty competitive price even with shipping added in. It's not the lowest price you could probably find with a lot of hunting and haggling but the easy availability will save you a lot of time and effort.

Now here's where it gets odd... The item number is J3M1-311028. The ad in the catalog does show a picture of an actual ACH helmet. However, if you go to Sportsman's Guide's website and pull up the listing with that same item number, the page shows a picture of the older PASGT helmet but says in the listing it is an ACH for sale.

So, I would recommend, if you are going to order one to call in the order over the phone (1-800-888-3006) and do the following:

1) Ask them about size availability. ACH sizes range from XS to XL. Reference this sizing chart. My melon measures ~24" but I opted for a L (with #6 pads, the most common) and it fits great.

2) Verify which they are selling, ACH or PASGT. Point out the catalog shows an ACH but the website shows a PASGT.

I'd definitely recommend picking one of these up. As I pointed out to vector, we are entering another Golden Age of military surplus gear with the drawdowns going on and the ACHs which used to sell on the civilian market for $300-$400 are now under $100. It is great head protection that is rated for rifle rounds and at that price is really hard to beat since it can help keep your grape intact against most threats! By the way, if you don't like the color, you can rattlecan it or there are a number of different types of helmet covers available (just avoid the cheap ones from China). If you're handy with an angle grinder and are feeling adventurous, you can even modify it with a higher cut like the Special Forces helmets:

I'm not a huge fan of doing that since it is removing some of the Kevlar protection and the ACH is designed to accommodate muffs already but, it is something some folks do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vector7 View Post
    What is your favorite cans?
    Hard to say as I haven't ordered or eaten MH before! Lots of people swear by them. I'd say if you find an item that looks appetizing, search around for any reviews on it. I'm sure there are some YouTube or written reviews of the MH menu out there.

I did place an order for 3 cans of the eggs and bacon and 3 cans of the dried strawberries. Those were two items I thought were lacking in my stores. I had been looking for powdered egg mix at a couple restaurant supply stores with no luck and I thought the strawberries would be a good addition to the canned fruit I already have.

Thanks

Get a Brownells $40 gift certificate for $20.

http://www.gearhog.com/?rf=553602

• Expires 09/17/2014.
    • Limit 1 gift certificate per person
    • Limit 1 gift certificate per household
    • Limit 1 gift certificate per order on Brownells.com
    • Valid online only
    • Not valid with other offers
    • Tax and shipping not included
    • Final sale item. No refunds for any reason.
    • Limited vouchers available

Thread Information