Thread: This sort of thing makes a Packer fan proud

Thanks

Default This sort of thing makes a Packer fan proud

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports//289852

According to the Brown County Sheriff's Department, [Packer Running Back Noah] Herron heard the doorbell ring at his condominium at about 11:15 p.m. Friday, but ignored it because he was not expecting guests.

Herron then heard glass breaking on his deck, and two men entered his home. Herron then called authorities. While waiting in his bedroom, Herron unscrewed a portion of his bedpost and hit one of the intruders as he entered the room, injuring the intruder to the point that he needed to be hospitalized.

The suspect is expected to fully recover, and Herron used "necessary, reasonable and justifiable force," according to Sheriff Dennis Kocken.
    Deputies arrested the other intruder as he ran from Herron's house and found $3,850 in $100 and $50 bills in his pocket.

A key in the injured suspect's pocket opened an SUV parked nearby, in which deputies found several flat-screen TVs. Deputies also found items believed to be stolen from another home earlier Friday night.

Investigators believe the two suspects could be connected to as many as 20 break-ins and home invasions across Brown County over the past five months.

So ... someone breaks in, he calls authorities, then uses "a portion of his bedpost" to defend himself to the point of one of the bad guys needing hospitalization.

I wonder what went through the mind of that robber when he turned the corner and found an NFL player standing there brandishing a bed post.

Quite a dangerous situation -- just glad things turned out well.

-Bryk

Thanks

Default Re: This sort of thing makes a Packer fan proud

The suspect is expected to fully recover, and Herron used "necessary, reasonable and justifiable force," according to Sheriff Dennis Kocken.

Out west we'd have just shot them dead and that would have been considered "reasonable". lol Times are changing and not for the better. Glad the RB was ok though.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Baldwin View Post
    Out west we'd have just shot them dead and that would have been considered "reasonable". lol Times are changing and not for the better. Glad the RB was ok though.
    There are definitely parts of Wisconsin that would lead to a similar result ... but generally not in the suburbs of Green Bay.

Personally, I found it a bit refreshing to have a story about an NFL player that wasn't having something to do with a shooting.

-Bryk

Thanks

I agree with that Brykovian. So... How do you think Aaron Rodgers will do this season? Think he can fill the Hall of Fame shoes of Brett? The NFL these days are designed around the QB as the main player. As I see it, if Aaron has a good season, Greenbay ends up in the playoffs with a home game. If not it's back to the bottom again. So I guess I see it as an all or nothing season for him.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I'd agree with that assessment. From what I saw of him last year, he certainly can command and run the offense ... but, obviously, doesn't have the flare of Farve. Which, might be a good thing. The Pack developed an impressive run game by the end of the season last year, so having a QB that stays a bit more "in-system" should be a good thing.

That said ... I have more of a "glass jaw" feeling about him (for no logical reason) ... so, if he stays healthy, I think they will do quite well. I'm more concerned with their 2nd and 3rd slots at QB ...

Also ... keep an on eye on the Vikings. Their biggest question mark is their young-but-still-has-potential QB, T-Jack. They shored-up a lot of their other weaknesses over the off season. If they come together on the playbook and approach, they will likely be dangerous.

-Bryk

Thanks

I'm not so sure about the Viks. I feel a mediocre season coming on for them. I think Green Bay could easily be the team to beat this year on the NFC side. And right now I have Pittsburgh and Green Bay picked out for the Super Bowl. Now that can and likely will change as the season progresses. I base this on offseason and Draft events coupled with overall talent and health. Cleveland could make a go of it, as well as Jacksonville and even the Cheatriots, but I think we're going to see Pittsburgh make the right moves this season as they get back to a running game for the AFC. The giants could, though I doubt it, make it back. But I think Dallas, or Arizona have a better chance if not Green Bay. Either way this could be one of the most interesting seasons since the 70's.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

At least he didn't tackle him....

/snicker

Oh, Brian... out west, we STILL shoot them.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Glad to hear that Rick. With the influx of libs to all the best areas of the west I was wondering.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Uh oh ... Favre is making some noise about wanting to come back. This puts the Packers' management in a bit of a tough spot. However, my feeling would be that it would be great to have Favre as the main backup, since I have that gut-feel about Rodgers getting hurt within the first few games this season.

:/

-Bryk

Thanks

Brykovian... You've obviously been following this closely. I don't know what Farve is thinking but this is really not good for the team. He should have just retired dignified like and left it at that. He's going to mess around and lose his chance at a first ballot HoF vote if he's not careful. The team at the same time should just give him his release and let me sign elsewhere. I honestly don't see him playing bench warmer for any of the other 31 teams either, so he'd be in a bit of a pickle. Too much drama when the team should be preparing for the season. If it continues much longer I'm going to have to put Dallas up at the top spot for the NFC lol
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

I expect to see him traded (outside the NFC North) to one of the teams that could use a new starting QB. Jets? Ravens? San Fran? etc., etc.

Outright release would be a terrible blunder, imo. His contract is still good ... nothing in it to say that he needs to start. But having him sulking on the sidelines would be really bad for the team. So ... they may not get what they really want for him -- but I expect a trade in the next 2 weeks.

-Bryk

Thanks

It'll be interesting to say the least. But he should remember that the greats are remembered for their time with a single team. Dan Marino had a chance to play his final year for his home town team the Steelers and finally turned it down and retired. Said he wanted to be a dolphin begining to end. Likely because of the local hero worship he receives there. Farve would get the same if he'd just retire now and let it go. It's a shame if you ask me.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brykovian View Post
    I expect to see him traded (outside the NFC North) to one of the teams that could use a new starting QB. Jets? Ravens? San Fran? etc., etc. ... So ... they may not get what they really want for him -- but I expect a trade in the next 2 weeks.

Favre Traded to Jets: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=3522971

Well ... I hope the rest of my prognostication goes this well during the season.

-Bryk

Thread Information