Thread: Virginia Denies Benefits To Illegals

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Virginia Denies Benefits To Illegals

Virginia Denies Benefits To Illegals
    RICHMOND -- A new Virginia law that bars illegal aliens from receiving state-funded benefits goes into effect tomorrow.

The law restricts anybody without a Social Security number from receiving Medicaid, temporary assistance for needy families, and help from several other state and local programs.

Supporters say the measure could save the state millions.

"A lot of us were saying, instead of raising taxes, why don't we start prioritizing where we're spending our existing money," said Delegate David B. Albo, Fairfax Republican, who sponsored the bill. "One of the things we found was the state was not checking for legal presence for Medicaid."

Activists who oppose the new law say it duplicates other state and federal statutes that already block illegal aliens from receiving government benefits. For example, federal law prohibits immigrants without green cards or work visas from receiving food stamps and assistance from similar programs.

They also say the new law might confuse legal immigrants and keep them from applying for benefits to which they are entitled.

Mr. Albo could not specify how many illegal aliens might be receiving public benefits. But he said the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles rejected 187,000 applicants the first year after 2004 legislation restricted illegals from obtaining driver's licenses.

"To me, the same arguments that presented themselves for the ... driver's license debate are here in the public-benefits debate," said Mr. Albo, who sponsored the motor vehicle legislation.

However, social services officials are not being inundated by illegal aliens, said Walter Tejada, chairman of the Virginia Latino Advisory Commission.

"The proponents of this law could never cite specific figures of exactly how much [money] it is that immigrants are draining out of the system," Mr. Tejada said. "It's a lot of hot air."

He cited a 2003 Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission study that stated only a "negligible" number of foreign-born persons are getting major social-services benefits.

Still, social-services officials acknowledge some illegal aliens could be accessing programs.

"I cannot tell you that there are no illegal aliens that have ever received benefits," said Duke Storen, who directs benefits programs with the Department of Social Services. "I'm sure there are a few."

Similar laws are pending in Georgia and Oklahoma as states crack down on illegal aliens, said Ira Mehlman, spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a nonprofit group dedicated to revising immigration policy.

National estimates show roughly 500,000 aliens enter the United States annually, with many settling in North Carolina and Georgia.

Before "it was easier just to look the other way," Mr. Mehlman said. "What's happening now in Virginia and other places is the cost of looking away has become prohibitive."

Thanks

Default Re: Virginia Denies Benefits To Illegals

However, social services officials are not being inundated by illegal aliens, said Walter Tejada, chairman of the Virginia Latino Advisory Commission.

"The proponents of this law could never cite specific figures of exactly how much [money] it is that immigrants are draining out of the system," Mr. Tejada said. "It's a lot of hot air."

He cited a 2003 Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission study that stated only a "negligible" number of foreign-born persons are getting major social-services benefits.
    Walter Tejada cannot be that ignorant. He has to be a liar. What exact number is "negligible"? I know personally of at least 20 people who are from Mexico, living here in the Denver area with fake social security cards. I believe that I could just as easily throw out the term "innumerable" for my circle of aquaintances is not that large in the whole population. They have been able to rent homes, have medicaid and/or food stamps, and some have WIC. Several of them have gotten tax id numbers that enabled them to purchase houses. There are several strip mall areas wherein one or two places of business will also provide information on how to acquire drivers licenses and whatever else a Mexican illegal needs, unless of course, for a fee, it can be provided there.

In addition to that, I also have done community service in the human service building in Denver, CO where I have worked on the files of many people from Africa who are here as "refugees" and so they automatically have bus passes issued, and assistance for classes and to gain employment, along with securing official social security cards, etc, etc.

You know, the thing is, when I was in this volunteer position at the human service bldg, the case technicians and job trainers were often heard to say that services here "are not entitlements" to those of us who were American citizens struggling to find work. They acted like we should be ashamed of ourselves for being unemployed. Yet there are no advocates for us who live here and go through a bad situation. There are no little offices set up providing tips or information on what to ask for as far as resources that may be available. These things are really all up to the case manager and what that person thinks about you, and that usually isn't to your best interest since they have seen so many who abuse the system.

It just seems so strange that those of us who are American citizens are shamefully "not entitled" to tax payer monies even if we have worked before, but illegals from Mexico are rightfully indignant if scrutinized because they purchased fake documents that are supposed to work to their advantage, and refugees deserve a royal treatment at our expense due to their special status, regardless if it may well be a fradulent claim.

Thread Information