Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Three Thread....

Thanks

Default Re: World War Three Thread....

Press Briefing by Dana Perino
    James S. Brady Press Briefing Room

1:37 P.M. EDT

MS. PERINO: Hello. Happy Friday. Today Senator John McCain announced his vice presidential pick, Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska. The White House is energized and excited by this choice. President Bush called Governor Palin just before his meeting with President Kikwete of Tanzania. He said that the McCain-Palin ticket is very strong. He wished her good luck, told her that she will be a fantastic vice presidential candidate, and that he is looking forward to a great victory in November.

Also, President Bush today just issued an emergency declaration for the state of Louisiana. This declaration provides for federal aid to supplement the state and local preparations for tropical storm -- or soon to be hurricane Gustav. FEMA is authorized to provide resources, equipment, and direct federal assistance. Secretary Chertoff and Administrator Paulison have been in the Gulf Coast region meeting with state and local officials about the preparations, and today Secretary Chertoff will be traveling to Mississippi and will meet Governor Barbour about Mississippi's planning for the potential landfall of the storm.

And that's all I have.

Q Dana, on the storm, does the President still plan to go to the convention, regardless of what happens with the weather?

MS. PERINO: We have no changes to the schedule, and we'll let you know if there are any.

Q Can you give us any indication of what he's going to be speaking about?

MS. PERINO: Sure, happy to. The President is looking forward to the honor of speaking at the Republican Convention on Monday night. The speech expresses gratitude. The President will thank his family, his administration, and most of all, the friends, supporters and volunteers in the convention hall who have supported him and the Republican agenda for these past eight years.

The speech reviews the major issues facing the country, from terrorism and war to the economy and the direction of our culture. Above all, the speech reflects on the role of the presidency and the qualities that are demanded by the job, and makes the case that John McCain is the best qualified to be our next leader and commander-in-chief. In particular, it highlights McCain's unique judgment, perspective, and experience to deal with the unexpected, to stand firm on his convictions, put the country above himself, and make hard decisions necessary to protect the American people.

The speech rallies Republicans to have confidence in America's future and to do everything they can to elect John McCain to the presidency.

A couple of things that the speech does not do: Do not expect this speech to define the President's legacy. This is not an opportunity to recap accomplishments of the past seven and a half years. It will not serve as a farewell to the American people, and it certainly will not attack Barack Obama.

Q Why not? I mean, this week --

MS. PERINO: Because he's got class.

Q -- the President has taken a great deal of criticism. Every speaker it seemed at the Democratic Convention spoke about the failed policies of the Bush presidency. Does he not want a forum in which to answer that criticism?

MS. PERINO: But this President knows better than almost any politician in America what it's like to face criticism. He watched his dad as vice presidential candidate for two terms go through that, and then when his dad ran for President, he saw it again, and then in his own campaigns, the two national elections. He knows what it's like in high political season, and he's not going to respond to every attack.

But some of the attacks are just out-and-out false; for example, suggesting that the Bush administration hasn't invested in alternative or renewable energies. Everybody in this room knows that that's not true. So we're in high political season. We're not going to let it get to us. We're going to focus on the big picture. And most importantly, President Bush will be working to make sure that John McCain is the next President of the United States.

Q Are there any other -- any other role for him planned at the convention? I know he's going in Monday to give the speech, he goes back out, but is he going to be doing anything else?

MS. PERINO: I think that's it. We're just going to be giving the speech, and then in the tradition of past Presidents, he will spend the rest of the week, we call it down, and he'll be at Camp David for the week. So we get back from Minnesota and go straight to Camp.

Q Okay. And one other question about -- back on the hurricane. Obviously things will be developing over the weekend. Are there plans for either anything happening here at the White House, or for the President to do or say anything over the weekend?

MS. PERINO: At the moment, nothing to be -- for a presidential event that would be open to the public. But he will be getting an update in the morning. He's gotten -- he had, I think, two today already. And when Chertoff and Paulison have updates they pass them either through senior staff or directly to the President. Secretary Chertoff spoke to the President yesterday by phone.

Look, we're taking the storm very seriously. Thankfully, so are the leaders of the states that could be impacted, and they seem to be well prepared. We certainly applaud the state leaders for all that they've done to get their regions organized, to provide for early evacuation for people with special needs who might need it. So everything seems like it's on track. But it's a very serious storm and so we are taking it seriously. And things could change in a moment's notice. Right now the storm is scheduled to land Tuesday afternoon, but we've seen that change over the hour.

Q When do you make the call on whether or not the storm affects the President's plans? Sunday? Monday?

MS. PERINO: All I know is, not right now. (Laughter.) I don't know, Wendell. It's hard to say. It's speculation and if I were to guess I'd probably be wrong.

Q Dana, are you saying that some of the criticisms that Senator Obama had last night in his acceptance speech of the Bush administration and of the President were out-and-out false? And if so, can you specify beyond energy policy?

MS. PERINO: No, I would look to -- you all can fact-check it yourselves. We're not going to. I'm not going to get into the -- into a back-and-forth with the Democratic presidential candidate, who had a really good convention and -- but we do recognize that this President has been unfairly attacked across the board by many Democrats for quite a while. But certainly as we get into this last eight weeks of the presidential campaign, tensions will probably flare, but this President has a lot of class, he's very gracious, and he also is very focused. And so nothing gets him off his game.

Go ahead, Olivier.

Q Dana, Georgia has cut off diplomatic relations with Russia. I wonder if you have a reaction to that.

MS. PERINO: Well, I'm certainly not surprised. And we continue to be dismayed that Russia has not fulfilled all of its requirements in the peace agreement that it signed, the one that Sarkozy sent that was a six-point plan. So we are focused on trying to make that agreement -- or get that agreement fulfilled, so those obligations to be fulfilled, and for the Russian military to be back into its posture that it was in on -- before the hostilities began on August 7th.

Georgia is going to need the support of the world. There is unison when you look at the reaction about a country's sovereignty, its independence, and its territorial integrity. And you've seen across the board, countries coming forward to announce their support for Georgia, and condemning the actions of Russia. And the results of that are that Russia is increasingly isolated, and will bear the consequences of that isolation unless they fulfill that agreement and then make amends.

Q There is reporting, though, that Secretary Rice is bringing "clarifications" to the cease-fire agreement that, in fact, would give ground to Russia; give them rights to patrol more territory in Georgia than the original cease-fire and make other concessions like that. Is that -- is that completely contradictory to the --

MS. PERINO: I have not heard that and I don't know if it's accurate, but we'll check on it, or refer you to State.

Kathleen.

Q On the same topic, South Ossetians' parliamentary speaker said that in meetings between President Medvedev and then the leader of South Ossetia, that the two men agreed that Russia would absorb South Ossetia in several years. And then the deputy parliamentary speaker of South Ossetia went on to say that Russia and South Ossetia are going to be signing an agreement to allow Russian military installations in South Ossetia.

MS. PERINO: Again, I don't find any of this surprising, given the actions of the past three weeks. But South Ossetia and Abkhazia are a part of Georgia under U.N.-recognized laws, in fact, laws and Security Council resolutions that Russia itself has supported. And I don't believe that Russia would want anybody questioning its territorial integrity. And we certainly don't. But we do expect the world to live up to its obligations to live up to the -- and live up to the law. And the law is that Georgia's territorial integrity should be intact and it should not be a question. And so it doesn't surprise me, though, that Russia and South Ossetia or Abkhazia would be having those conversations.

Q What about this agreement to allow Russian military bases in South Ossetia? They're supposed to sign that September 2nd. What can -- what can and will the U.S. do about that?

MS. PERINO: We're taking measured looks at all of this, but it's not just the United States; this is the international community and especially Europe, who has been very strong. You've had strong statements out of NATO, the G7, the OSCE, across the board, and then the individual countries themselves making strong statements that they stand with Georgia. They stand for democracy; they believe in the cause that these countries have been working towards.

And Georgia was a bright shining star economically there in the region, and they're going to need help reconstructing their economy. Right now what we're focused on is trying to get humanitarian aid in there, because there are many people who are homeless, or who are without food or clean drinking water, and so that has to be our priority right now.

Q But would Russian military bases in South Ossetia be acceptable to the United States?

MS. PERINO: What we want is the posture before August 6th, and before August 6th you did not have Russian bases on that territory.

Victoria.

Q What are the President's thoughts on the selection of Governor Palin as John McCain's running mate?

MS. PERINO: Speaking of that, I actually have a statement by the President I forgot to read. (Laughter.) We will release it, but let me give it to you here.

President Bush will say, in his words: Today Senator McCain made an exciting decision in choosing Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to join him on his ticket as the vice presidential candidate. Governor Palin is a proven reformer who is a wise steward of taxpayer dollars and champion for accountability in government. Governor Palin's success is due to her dedication to principle and her "roll up your sleeves" work ethic, and services as a wonderful example of the spirit of America.

By selecting a working mother with a track record of getting things done, Senator McCain has once again demonstrated his commitment to reforming Washington.

I applaud Senator McCain for selecting Governor Palin. This decision is yet another example of why the American people can trust him to make wise decisions and to confidently lead this country.

Q Has the President spoken to her since he was -- since she was selected?

MS. PERINO: Yes, I -- that's what I led off the briefing with -- he called her.

Q He called her?

MS. PERINO: Yes.

Q Dana, does the President believe, with his administration and the expanded powers given to Vice President Cheney, he has set the model for future administrations?

MS. PERINO: I reject the notion that expanded powers were given to Vice President Cheney --

Q I don't say that in a pejorative -- the President has always talked about the responsibilities that -- perhaps I used the wrong word -- "responsibilities" might have been a better word than "powers." I don't mean extraconstitutional powers in any way. I mean making Mr. Cheney more of a partner in the executive than previous administrations have.

MS. PERINO: Yes, I see what you mean.

Q Does he believe he has set a model for future administrations in that regard?

MS. PERINO: I think it will just depend. President Bush has relied on Vice President Cheney for many things, and one of it was the experience and judgment that he brought to the job in a variety of areas, for all of the service and dedication that he had had over the years. And he's been a steady hand and a good confidential advisor for this President.

And -- but every President gets to make their own decision as to how their Vice President would work. But what I saw today was that Senator McCain fully intends that Governor Palin will be by his side and will be a strong partner for him, and I think he couldn't have -- made a better choice.

Goyal.

Q Two quick questions. One, did President watch last night Senator Obama's acceptance speech? And second, also -- same question -- does the President realize or accept one thing, that Senator Obama made history last night by being the nominee of a major political party in the U.S. and being a son of immigrant from Kenya?

MS. PERINO: Sure. President Bush did not stay up to watch the speech last night, but he did see a lot of the reporting on it this morning and watched some of the pieces. So he did see it. And absolutely, it was a great moment for America that we have -- that shows that we've come a long way. And he certainly congratulated Senator Obama on this achievement and it speaks volumes for this country, that it's an opportunity -- it's a land of opportunity for all people. And he's going to be focusing his efforts now on the contest to come, which is the presidential election and he'll be supporting John McCain.

Q And second, as far as the President's travel to China -- Olympics now over -- many human rights groups are asking if President had really represented them, like Burma, Tibetans, and other groups are asking as far as human rights in China is concerned, because they think now Chinese have put under the rug because of Olympics and presidential and many great leaders were represented there.

MS. PERINO: President Bush did raise all of those issues before he got to China, and then with the Chinese directly, and he will continue to, as will the rest of the world, and continue to put pressure to allow for more human rights in the area.

Go ahead.

Q Two questions back on the Republican Convention.

MS. PERINO: Okay.

Q First off, do you know which convention was the first one the President ever attended?

MS. PERINO: Not off the top of my head, but we can look for you.

Q And secondly, can you talk a little bit about his feelings about the changed circumstances? After all the moments of triumph he's had at conventions, he's going to address a convention this time and they can't wait to turn the page and go on to the next nominee.

MS. PERINO: I don't think that you can speak for the delegates of this country, especially of the GOP. This is a party that has stood by the President, and -- but conventions are about the next President and who the candidates are going to be, and it's their chance to shine. And we intend for the spotlight to shine fully on John McCain. And that's what the President is going to do in his speech, is spend the great majority of it talking about how our nation has faced significant challenges on several different fronts, and that John McCain is the type of person who can come in and start leading immediately, because he's got the experience to do so.

Q So no wistfulness at all on his part?

MS. PERINO: Not from this President, no.

Mark.

Q Dana, do you know if Senator McCain consulted the President about his running mate choice?

MS. PERINO: No, but we were informed beforehand.

Q Do you know when?

MS. PERINO: In the hour or so before the announcement. Maybe a little bit before.

Okay, all right, thank you.

END 1:51 P.M. EDT
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

August 29, 2008 - 7:28 PM Print this story Send this story RSS Feed
    Russia urges EU to put aside emotion over Georgia
    A Georgian woman walks in the South Ossetian village of Avnevi
    Zoom

By Conor Sweeney

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia and European powers took a step back from confrontation over Georgia on Friday, with Moscow urging the EU not to rush into punitive action and France saying now was not the time for sanctions.

Western governments have criticised Russia for sending troops deep into its ex-Soviet neighbour Georgia and recognising Georgia's two breakaway regions as independent, drawing comparisons with the rhetoric of the Cold War.

Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili made a surprise visit late on Friday to the flashpoint port of Poti, which Russian troops continue to patrol as part of a Moscow-imposed security zone hotly contested by the Tbilisi government and the West.

"They are occupiers here, they are occupiers all around Georgia," Saakashvili told reporters, referring to Russian troops who man checkpoints just outside the town.

Earlier, Tbilisi said it would cut diplomatic ties with Moscow after Russia recognised its rebel South Ossetia and Abkhazia regions. A Russian Foreign Ministry source told the RIA news agency that Moscow would close its embassy in Tbilisi.

Diplomats said they received signals from the Kremlin that Russia would retaliate if the EU imposed punitive measures when leaders of the bloc, which depends on Russian energy imports, meet in Brussels on Monday.

But Russian oil companies and government officials denied a British newspaper report that they were preparing to restrict oil supplies in response to sanctions.

A senior diplomat for EU president France said sanctions would not be adopted at the summit, contradicting remarks on Thursday by French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner, who said sanctions were among the options on the table.

"The time to pass sanctions has certainly not come," the French diplomat said.

REASON VS EMOTION

A spokesman for Russia's Foreign Ministry said some countries -- which he did not name - were trying to take the EU down "the road to confrontation."

"We hope that reason will prevail over emotions, that EU leaders will find the courage to refrain from a one-sided assessment of the conflict," Andrei Nesterenko told a news conference in Moscow.

Russia mounted a huge counter-attack on land, sea and air after its pro-Western neighbour Georgia sent in troops in a failed attempt to retake its breakaway region of South Ossetia three weeks ago.

Moscow says it intervened to prevent a "genocide" of South Ossetians and was staying on to prevent further aggression.

The West says the Kremlin used excessive force in Georgia, a key non-Russia route for Caspian Sea energy exports. The conflict has underscored the vulnerability of the route.

Azerbaijan's state oil company SOCAR said it expected next year to send up to 400,000 tonnes of crude to a Russian pipeline and not the BP-led Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline in part due to instability in Georgia.

U.S. TOOL

Western policy-makers drafting a response to the Kremlin's actions must weigh the fact that Russia supplies more than a quarter of Europe's gas and that its support is vital to maintain pressure on Iran over its nuclear programme.

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, who on Thursday hinted cooperation on trade and nuclear non-proliferation could be at stake in the row over Georgia, said Europe should not act as a tool of U.S. foreign policy.

"If European states want to serve the foreign policy interests of the USA, then, in my opinion, they will gain nothing from this," Putin said in an interview with German television station ARD that was shown on Russian television.

European diplomats said on Friday they were expecting Russian retaliation if the EU took punitive measures.

"They've been saying loud and clear that they feel they could do whatever they want with impunity," said one diplomat.

"But I think any kind of reaction they would take to the EU would be in kind, like visa restrictions or a business contacts freeze. I don't think the retaliation would include the kind of things like restricting oil."
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Dust-Up
    Is the Soviet Union back?

[COLOR=#333333 ! important]Andrew Meier says that the Putin government's abuses resemble those of the U.S.S.R. Michael C. Moynihan finds echoes of the former empire, but says today's Russia doesn't pose the same level of threat[/COLOR]
    August 29, 2008

» Discuss Article Today's question: To what extent does Vladimir Putin's Russia resemble the old Soviet Union? Previously, Meier and Moynihan discussed NATO expansion, Russia’s membership in the G-8 and its possible membership in the WTO, U.S. diplomacy in Eastern Europe in the early 1990s and the extent to which Russia wants to exert control over its neighbors.

Three disturbing trends

Point: Andrew Meier

Just how close is Vladimir Putin's Russia to the old U.S.S.R.? What a great question to close the week. In the decade and a half since the fall of the Soviet Union, Russians, from Kaliningrad to Chukotka, have turned to modernity and, aided by the petroleum trickle-down in the vast majority of cities and towns, even joined the 21st century. Despite the darkest desires of many surrounding Putin, the restoration dream -- the return of the omnipotent totalitarian state -- seems an impossibility. (That said, only fools in Russia dare predict the future: The past, as the locals say, is sufficiently unpredictable.) And yet, Michael, the country does resemble the old empire in at least three pervasive ways.

First, Russia remains a land of doublespeak.

Listen to what Putin's puppet president, 42-year-old former corporate lawyer Dimitri Medvedev, told the BBC this week: Russia's invasion of Georgia was spurred by the "genocide" in South Ossetia. Even the most rabidly anti-Georgian reports by Russian state news outlets do not justify the claim. Then there was Medvedev's paranoid aside that seemed lifted out of an old Soviet script: his claim that the U.S. is bootlegging caches of arms into Georgia: "What the Americans call humanitarian cargoes -- of course, they are bringing in weapons," he told the BBC. He added graciously, "We're not trying to prevent it." And then Putin continued the paranoid thread on CNN, claiming that "someone in the United States created this conflict to stir up the situation and to create an advantage for one of the candidates" running for president. Lord knows what Putin and Medvedev think Cindy McCain, who also dropped by Tbilisi this week, had hidden in her clutch purse.

Second, Russia remains a land where the state is willing to enhance its power through the extrajudicial punishment -- to the point of murder -- of its own citizens.

If the West must contend with the doublespeak of Russian foreign policy, pity the poor souls at home. Remember the fallen oligarch Mikhail Khodorkovsky? He was no angel, mind you, but he still doesn't deserve a place on death row (he's likely to contract multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis) in a Siberian jail. Remember the tragedy of the 2004 Beslan school hostage-taking? Or the theater siege in Moscow in October 2002? Both ended in unconscionably high body counts in large part, of course, thanks to the terrorists who orchestrated the attacks. But as the Beslan mothers and the Moscow theater survivors know, the ineptitude of the Russian security forces also contributed mightily. Then, in both tragedies, there was the coverup -- doublespeak written in blood.

Third, Russia remains a land in which fear of the state -- and its suffocating reach -- prevails.

We do not have sufficient space, Michael, to perform an autopsy on the Boris Yeltsin-era media, nor a proper study of how unbridled and foaming Russian websites are (hint: many of them make the Huffington Post look as insightful and informative as the National Enquirer). But I think we can agree that Putin's strangulation of Russia's TV and print media are sufficiently documented. The airwaves have indeed turned neo-Soviet, as Putinites across Russia -- often acting on their own -- have shuttered the arena of free speech and public debate.

Russia this month lost Alexander Solzhenitsyn, who on the eve of his exile in 1974 threw a literary Molotov cocktail at the Soviet leaders, calling on his compatriots to refuse "to live by the lie." Who in Russia today dares to stand up and make such a demand?

And yet, the contradictions predominate. The Russian state, for all the talk of reviving the "Great Power," remains at heart, in its institutions from the army to the local courts, a bardak -- a mess. Even Vlad the Impaler cannot restore the Soviet empire. Under Putin, thanks to the rising death rate and the declining birth rate -- "the Russian cross," as demographers call it -- Russia has lost nearly 1 million citizens a year. Gone are the vast reserves of slave labor and the shackled colonies of Central Asia, the Baltics and, yes, the South Caucasus.

But how "free" are Russians? Many, even among those who have no memory of the U.S.S.R., have settled for that illiberal bargain, forfeiting a short-lived taste of civil liberties for a measure of stability. Therein, Michael, lies the secret of Putinism's success.

Andrew Meier is a former Moscow correspondent for Time magazine and the author of the new book, "The Lost Spy: An American in Stalin's Secret Service."

Putin is nostalgic, but Russia isn't a major threat
    Counterpoint: Michael C. Moynihan

It disappoints me terribly, Andrew, to end a week of contretemps on such a convivial note, but I must admit that your three examples of Russian neo-Sovietism are difficult to disagree with. I too noticed that the language emanating from the Kremlin following the Georgia invasion sounded eerily familiar -- the talk of fraternal assistance to Russian citizens bravely staring down the forces of genocide; the orchestrated propaganda campaign, which included Putin's absurd, evidence-be-damned claim that the whole thing was a John McCain-orchestrated plot to sway American voters. As you well know, there was hardly a foreign adventure undertaken by the Soviet Union that wasn't framed as a reasonable countermeasure to some bourgeoisie, imperialist -- read: American -- plot.

But that stuff, I think, is small beer when viewed next to some of the more ominous parallels: the rigged elections, the punitive use of the legal system to attack dissent and the increasing strength and prominence of the security services. I found myself nodding in agreement when you wrote, "The airwaves have indeed turned neo-Soviet, as Putinites across Russia -- often acting on their own -- have shuttered the arena of free speech and public debate."

Take Ekho Moskvy, often pointed to as one of the few truly independent media outlets in the country, which has been harassed, fined and constantly threatened with prosecution under the "extremism law" for daring to report news unfriendly to Putin. Or just look at the yearly reports from the Committee to Protect Journalists, which documents the appalling and threatening conditions under which anti-regime journalists are forced to work. There are few that haven't heard the name of Anna Politkovskaya, the anti-Kremlin journalist who was gunned down on Putin's birthday in 2006, but the CPJ reports demonstrate that her situation is hardly unique. And speaking of memories of the Cold War, what was the first thing that popped into your head, Andrew, after you heard of the polonium poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko in London? Was it, perhaps, the 1978 murder of Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov, who was killed by the KGB in London using a poison-tipped umbrella?

As you say, Andrew, the individual examples of Putin's antidemocratic and censorious tendencies are too many to mention, though for those readers interested in a more detailed accounting of the current situation in Moscow, I can heartily recommend two new books that skillfully navigate the sewers of modern Russian politics: Steve LeVine's "Putin's Labyrinth" and Edward Lucas' "The New Cold War."

Again, all of this is deeply troubling, with distinct echoes of Leninist totalitarianism. But it doesn't, I think, quite rise to the level of "Soviet." It is worth noting that Russia has embraced a more open market (calling it a "free market" would be going too far, though, as a libertarian, I can appreciate the introduction of a 13% flat tax) and has little interest in returning to the grinding poverty that invariably accompanies communism. We are not in any danger of Moscow extending its reach into the broader world -- despite Putin's worrying relationships with the regimes in Venezuela and Iran -- in any way similar to what happened during the Cold War. Indeed, Russia has recently closed military bases in Cuba and Vietnam. Without the unifying feature of ideology, the motivation for strategic relationships with comradely movements in, say, Angola, Nicaragua and South Yemen are almost nonexistent.

But that said, there can be no doubt about Putin's love for the country in which he was raised. After the tragic deaths at Beslan, Putin spoke to the assembled members of the media and began with this curious bit of nostalgia: "Today, we live in a time that follows the collapse of a vast and great state, a state that, unfortunately, proved unable to survive in a rapidly changing world. But despite all the difficulties, we were able to preserve the core of what was once the vast Soviet Union, and we named this new country the Russian Federation."

This was hardly a one-off sop to Soviet nostalgics -- those medal-bedecked veterans of the "Great Patriotic War" who consistently rate Josef Stalin as the country's greatest leader. Remember that, in 2005, Putin explicitly said that "the demise of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century." What logical inference can one draw from such a statement? Perhaps that, under the leadership of Comrade Putin, Russia will attempt to regain the level of power and influence it saw during the Leonid Brezhnev era?

So to those who doubt that echoes of the Soviet past persist, that it lives merely in the fevered imaginations of nostalgic hawks, let me say this: One needn't read tea leaves to come to such conclusions, but simply listen to unambiguous speeches of Russia's prime minister and puppet master, Vladimir Putin.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Five RapidEye remote sensing satellites launched
    BY STEPHEN CLARK
    SPACEFLIGHT NOW

Posted: August 29, 2008

The Dnepr rocket, a weapon of war converted for peaceful applications, bolted out of an underground silo early Friday and delivered five German agricultural imaging satellites to orbit.

The 111-foot-tall booster lifted off at 0715:58 GMT (3:15:58 a.m. EDT) Friday from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. The Dnepr's third stage later released the five satellites nearly 400 miles above Earth.

Credit: RapidEye

Officials reported the satellites had begun contacting ground stations less than two hours after launch.

The spacecraft will be activated and tested in the next few weeks before entering operational service later this year for RapidEye, a German company that will sell imagery gathered by the satellite fleet.

Engineers will let the craft drift apart to reach an orbital spacing of about 19 minutes, allowing frequent revisits over the same area.

The satellites, each weighing about 330 pounds at launch, will spend more than seven years circling the planet downloading more than 1.5 million square miles of imagery per day, according to RapidEye.

The constellation will produce color imagery with a resolution of about 21 feet, but RapidEye officials say the system will be differentiated by rapid response and timely products for the agriculture industry.

"The Earth observation data obtained with our system is the basis for important management information services that haven't been commercially available until now, especially in the agriculture and forestry industries," said Wolfgang Biedermann, CEO of RapidEye.

The fleet will be able to cover any place on Earth within one day and image all agricultural regions of Europe and North America within five days, according to RapidEye.

"We will be able to deliver data about a customer's area of interest as often as they need it, quickly and at a very competitive cost," Biedermann said.

RapidEye's primary applications include monitoring crops and giving farmers, insurance companies and disaster relief organizations critical information following a natural catastrophe.

"We will be able to deliver imagery and services to our customers for crop planning, crop identification and damage assessment following a natural disaster," said Biedermann said.

RapidEye was co-founded in 1998 by Vereinigte Hagel, a European agricultural insurance firm.

"As soon as the long-awaited data is available, we will have precise information about crop conditions before, during and after a storm and how they develop afterwards," said Dietrich Heine, CEO of Vereinigte Hagel and deputy chairman of the RapidEye supervisory board. "This is a quantum jump from the current damage assessment process."

The quick data turnaround from RapidEye could mean faster insurance payouts to farmers suffering from natural disasters, officials said.

The program's prime contractor, MDA Corp. of Canada, was responsible for the design of the mission and provided ground systems for image processing, said Daniel Schulten, MDA program manager for space missions.

Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd., a U.K-based manufacturer of small satellites, built the RapidEye spacecraft.

Jena Optronik of Germany provided the satellites' pushbroom imaging payload.

Friday's launch leapfrogged another Dnepr mission that had been scheduled for earlier this month. That flight has been grounded twice by the objections of Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan, which refused to give clearance for the rocket's first stage drop zone within their territories.

The suspended launch was to carry a Thai Earth observation satellite, and payload officials confirmed the delay earlier this month.

The satellite, named THEOS, must launch on a southerly path from the Yasny missile base in southern Russia.

"Originally the drop zone studied was planned to be in Uzbekistan, which didn't give authorization despite promising meetings and agreements elaborated in 2007 and 2008," said Matthieu Duvelleroy, a spokesperson for EADS Astrium, prime contractor for the THEOS payload.

When Uzbekistan declined to give permission for launch, engineers began redesigning the Dnepr rocket's trajectory to drop the first stage in Kazakhstan.

Kazakhstan's national space agency, Kazcosmos, authorized the new drop zone in a June message to Russia's Defense Ministry. Astrium and Kosmotras, the international company overseeing Dnepr launch operations, began final flight preparations in early July, according to Duvelleroy.

Russian military officials informed Kazcosmos of the scheduled Aug. 6 launch two days before blastoff, but Kazakhstan replied saying the launch was prohibited, Duvelleroy said.

Kosmotras is negotiating with Russian and Kazakh officials in hopes of clearing the stranded rocket for launch, Astrium officials said.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Report: Taiwan to Mass-Produce Anti-Ship Missiles

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
    Published: 29 Aug 10:42 EDT (14:42 GMT)

TAIPEI - Taiwan plans to mass-produce ship-to-ship missiles to boost its naval defences against China, the United Evening News reported Aug. 29.

The defence ministry has set aside more than 2.26 billion Taiwan dollars ($71.75 million) to manufacture the locally-designed Supersonic Hsiung-feng 3, the United Evening News said.