Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pirates! Activity Around the world

Thanks

Default Re: Pirates! Activity Around the world

Navy to fend off pirates

Frigate will patrol Mozambique coast

Feb 22, 2011 10:46 PM | By CAIPHUS KGOSANA

South Africa is sending out a navy frigate to protect its waters from Somali pirates following an attack on a vessel off the coast of Mozambique in December.

Current Font Size:

AYE, AYE: Defence Minister Lindiwe Sisulu says the SA Navy is well-placed to combat piracy Picture: SHELLEY CHRISTIANS
    Related Articles

Defence Minister Lindiwe Sisulu told journalists in Cape Town yesterday the government would dispatch the navy frigate SAS Mendi to the Mozambican channel to patrol the waters and help counter piracy.
    She said the hijacking of a Mozambican vessel in December in which 14 Mozambicans and two Spaniards were taken hostage had necessitated the need for South Africa to become actively involved in efforts to combat piracy.
    "We remain very concerned about the intrusion of piracy into our space and we remain very determined that we will not allow it to continue," she said.
    Sisulu said the frigate would trawl Southern African waters to determine the level of threat from piracy and that she would use the information to brief the cabinet on a strategy to safeguard South African shipping.
    "We have now gone back to cabinet . to say it is important that we look at this matter and perhaps devise strategies to deal with it . It is not possible for us to sit back when we have incursions on waters we are responsible for," she said.
    But she would not disclose whether the frigate had permission to shoot if it encounters pirate vessels in Southern African waters.
    The defence minister said South Africa, with its superior naval capabilities, was best placed to respond to the threat posed by piracy in the region.
    The cabinet earlier issued a statement saying South Africa was considering offering assistance to Somalia's transitional government as part of efforts to combat piracy.
    South African sailors Deborah Calitz and Bruno Pelizzari were kidnapped by Somali pirates off the coast of Tanzania in October. A $10-million ransom has been demanded for the couple's release.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

By Agence France-Presse, Updated: 2/28/2011
    Indian Ocean pirates hold seven Danes including three kids

Indian Ocean pirates have captured a yacht with seven Danes including three children aboard and are sailing towards Somalia, the Danish foreign ministry said Monday.

The sailboat captured on Thursday was carrying a Danish family of five and two employees, Charlotte Senter, who heads the consular division at the ministry, told the Ritzau news agency.

The children, two boys and a girl, are aged 12 to 16, the foreign ministry said in a statement.

The family left on a two-year round-the-world tour that was to have ended in mid-2011, according to a neighbour who spoke to the Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet.

"It's almost unbearable to know that children are involved, and I vigorously condemn the pirates," said Danish Foreign Minister Lene Espersen.

The Danish authorities "are following this matter very closely, and we will do all in our power to help the Danes aboard the sailboat and their relatives," she said late Monday on Danish television.

The Danish government "does not negotiate with pirates", she said, declining to comment further on the case "because that would not serve the interests of the hostages if it is too publicised and commented on".
    She added: "Past experience has shown that too much information and commentary (on hostage-takings) threatens to undermine the cause" of the hostages.

"The hostage-takers also hear what is said on television in the countries the hostages come from, and the episode could be dragged out if they start to discuss the details," Espersen said.

The foreign ministry earlier said relatives of the hostages had been informed.

The B.T. daily said a Danish warship that is part of NATO's "Ocean Shield" anti-piracy operation in the region was headed towards the scene, but the Danish navy declined to comment.

Piracy has surged in recent years off Somalia, a lawless, war-torn country that sits alongside one of the world's most important shipping routes.
    On February 22, Somali pirates killed four Americans including a retired couple aboard their hijacked yacht.

Four Somali pirates also died, two of them killed by US special forces in one of the deadliest endings to hostage-takings that are often resolved through ransom payments.

Hijackings are a key source of income for a country that has lacked a functioning government for two decades.

While few Americans have been caught up in such hijackings, a number of European yacht enthusiasts have been captured by Somali pirates.

In November, British couple Paul and Rachel Chandler were released after an ordeal that lasted more than a year.

Ekstra Bladet said the Danish family came from an area west of Copenhagen.

They had made stops in South America, the Caribbean, Fiji and Thailand, and had set sail two weeks earlier from the Maldives headed towards Africa.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

The Danes don't negotiate.

There's a battle cruiser headed that way.. oops.

Typical European government "won't comment" much, and gives excuses about it "not helping"

Truth be told if these people have money, we wouldn't want that to be public knowledge either - but I want all eyes pointed in that direction if it is MY family.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Guys.... I do NOT see this ending very well for these folks.

I suspect the Danes will arrive pretty quick as I understand they have ships in the region. If they get there before they can get the people off the boat I don't think it will go well for the hostages.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Home | More Blogs & Photos | Search Members | Login / Register

ING jordenrundt.info
    ING jordenrundt.info
    Vessel Name:
    Vessel Name:
    ING
    ING

Recent Blog Posts
    Recent Blog Posts
    All Posts

23 February 2011 | Det Arabiske Hav
    23 February 2011 | The Arabian Sea
    Snork Phew zzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzz
    Snork pyh zzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzz
    Snork Phew zzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzz
    More | Comments [2] | Share

22 February 2011 | Det Arabiske Hav
    22 February 2011 | The Arabian Sea
    One target would
    Fortsat en del vind, 15-20 knob fra NO saa vi ruller kraftigt over og faar jaevnligt en spandfuld havvand ind over cockpittet, men det frisker jo ogsaa en lidt op.
    Continuing a lot of wind, 15-20 knots from NO as we roll heavily and regularly receives a bucket full seawater into the cockpit, but it freshens course even a little.
    More | Comments [0] | Share

21 February 2011 | Det Arabiske Hav
    21 February 2011 | The Arabian Sea
    Wind and navigability
    Det sidste doegn har det blaest 15-25 knob, og selvom vinden er meget ustabil og vi ikke altid kan holde kurs, saa sejler vi meget hurtigt, for det meste omkring 7-9 knob.
    The last days has blown 15-25 knots, and although the wind is very unstable and we can not always keep the path as we sail very quickly, usually around 7-9 knots.
    Det betyder at aptering, skrog og rig larmer en del naar vi kastes omkring i boelgerne og vinden suser i sejl, mast og vanter.
    This means that accommodation, hull and rig is noisy part where we throw around in waves like the wind blowing through the sails, mast and shrouds.
    [...]
    [...]

20 February 2011 | Det Arabiske Hav
    20 February 2011 | The Arabian Sea
    Visits by the coalition
    Med et interval paa ca.
    With an interval of approx.
    ti minutter drejer vinden 30 -40 grader frem og tilbage, og 30 til 60 procent op og ned i styrke, uden en sky i naerheden, paa et ocean der breder sig over et par tusinde kilometer?
    ten minutes is blowing 30 -40 degrees back and forth, and from 30 to 60 percent up and down in strength, without a cloud in the vicinity, in an ocean that spread over a few thousand miles?
    Det betyder at vi hele tiden aendrer kurs efter vinden, men generelt sejler vi staerkt: 7-8 knob.
    This means that we constantly change course after the wind, but generally we sail strong: 7-8 knots.
    [...]
    [...]

19 February 2011 | Det Arabiske Hav
    19 February 2011 | The Arabian Sea
    A new long voyage
    Vi har dykket, skudt mange fisk, lavet baal og haft fantastiske dage paa Maldiverne.
    We have dived, shot many fish, made bonfires and had a fantastic day in the Maldives.
    Nu er vi igen paa havet.
    Now we are again at sea.

11 February 2011 | Maldiverne
    11 February 2011 | Maldives
    Larder
    Tog ankeret ved solopgang og sejlede 17 sømil vestpaa hen over 1,5 kilometers dybde til den smalle atol Makunudhoo.
    Trains anchor at sunrise and sailed 17 miles westward over 1.5 kg m depth to the small atoll Makunudhoo.
    Gennem passet uden problemer, og med Hjalte og Rune oppe paa sallingshornet og Naja og Marie i staevnen, zik zak mellem uendelig mange koralknolde ned til en lille oede motu.
    Through the pass without difficulty and with Hjalte and Rune up on the shrouds and Naja and Marie in the stem; zik zak between endless coral tubers down to a tiny deserted motu.

[ Click position marks for journal entries ]
    [Click position marks for journal entries]

More Photos (0)
    Map & Tracking
    RSS Feed

Photo Albums
    Photo Albums

Original Danish text:
    22 February 2011 | Det Arabiske Hav
    Contribute a better translation
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Published: February 26, 2011

Held Hostage Off Somalia

Here is a tally of vessels (red numbers) and their passengers and crew, where known (white numbers), believed held by Somali bandits as of last week. All in all, 51 vessels and at least 819 people are believed to be held hostage. Printable PDF » | Related Article: Suddenly, a Rise in Piracy’s Price »

Bill Marsh and Scott Garapolo/The New York Times |
    Send Feedback

Source: Ecoterra International
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Pirated Danish yacht, family anchor near Somalia

By Associated Press
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - Added 3 hours ago

E-mail Print (1) Comments Text size Share Buzz up!
    NAIROBI, Kenya — A Danish family kidnapped by pirates has reached the shore of Somalia, officials and a pirate said Wednesday, likely meaning a long hostage ordeal for the couple and their three teenage children who were abducted while yachting around the world.
    A Somali pirate had warned that if any attempt was made to rescue them, they would meet the same fate as the four American yachters slain by their pirate captors last week. Any chance of a quick rescue seemed to disappear Wednesday.
    The sailboat being piloted by Jan Quist Johansen, his wife and their three children, ages 12 to 16, anchored near the coastal village of Hafun late Tuesday, said Yusuf Abdullahi Sanyare, the commissioner of Hafun, which lies on Somalia’s northern tip.

Abdiaziz Mohamud Yusuf, the spokesman for a community group called the Puntland Peacemakers, told The Associated Press that the family has been taken on land.
    However, a Somali pirate who gave his name as Muse Abdi said the family was transferred to another, larger pirated ship.
    "They are safe. They were just transferred from the boat to the big ship," said Abdi, who has provided reliable information in the past. "They have been added to other nationals in another ship to avoid any possible attack."
    Two adult Danish crew members were also seized in the attack last Thursday on the Johansens’ 43-foot sailboat.
    The Johansen family was aware of the pirate threat in the waters off East Africa, but believed that warships patrolling the waters would protect them, according to entries on their travel blog.
    Maritime experts said the Johansens had foolishly placed themselves in grave danger off Somalia’s lawless coast despite warnings from naval forces struggling to police the area against pirates.
    Yusuf, who said he has been contacted by a Danish official in Nairobi, said pirates moved the hostages from the sailboat because of a rumor that a warship was heading to the scene. Yusuf’s group has been involved in anti-piracy campaigns.
    "We are ready to play our role in the safe release of the innocent family," he said. "We strongly condemn the hijacking of ships and innocent people off Somali waters."
    Pirates hold more than 660 hostages and some 30 ships. Hostages are held in hot, austere conditions in Somalia — typically for many months — before a ransom is agreed on and paid, and the hijacked ships and crew are released.
    Last year a British sailing couple were released after 388 days in captivity. Reports indicated that a ransom in the region of $1 million was paid for their release.
    Somalia hasn’t had a functioning government since 1991, one of the reasons the piracy trade has flourished.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

It would appear that the terrorists are amassing quite a flotilla. Rick, is the chart you posted similar to aircraft identifaction charts? All the vessels look the same to me, but I was never good at spot the differences.

The evil part of my brain sees a scenario with multiple attacks on ports world wide.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

That's just a chart I pulled from some news source. I think it was their way of trying to identify what is being captured and held. So they used a silhouette chart with numbers to make it easy for themselves I'd reckon.
    Libertatem Prius!

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

The sailing blog for the Dutch family is offline now.

Thanks

that figures.

That was stupid, actually. If they ever are able to gain access to their site to signal for help, now they can't.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I have to say that I am extremely upset over this Dutch ship. Mostly due to the kids. 12 to 16 and they are captive? BS. Makes me want to go privateer and slaughter the pirate ilk. Damn the intl agreements. Every extortion paid makes the pirates stronger.

/rant off.

Ok, so I won't be running to the Gulf of Adan, but if I were contacted to do so I doubt I would hesitate. Do what one will in the course of modern warfare, leave the kids out of it.

man, that pisses me off.

Thanks

There really aren't any "international agreements" of which I'm aware. There are United Nations rules which I posted here on the site a few days ago... umm rules 100-109 or something like that.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I have been viewing close up Google Sat images along the Somali cast and have yet to find anythign that looks suspect. I am maybe missing it. Any town name specific s to this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Fiord View Post
    I have been viewing close up Google Sat images along the Somali cast and have yet to find anythign that looks suspect. I am maybe missing it. Any town name specific s to this?
    No, I don't know where they take these boats/ships too.

Google Earth isn't really updated very often from what I remember, so the images might be several years old.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthread...Number=1160416

A very informative site above on a lot not seen in media for how the pirates do what they do.

Thanks

Most images on Google Earth in this area are stamped 2010 for the north coast and 2011 for the east coast. Curiously, a swath off the north coast in missing and is just a rectangle block. I should have screen capped it.

Thanks

Hmm. I note that none of the Google site images go very far out from the coast. Unless a ship were moored close in deep water we cannot see them. I want to locate this larger ship hostages are put on to.

Thanks

The images that are marked 2010 are not necessarily taken then. The image of my house shows 2010 (last time I looked) but the image is easily 4 years old or more.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Look here. Alula is a town used as small craft mooring of taken craft and hostages are also taken ashore here. Note the craft that is larger than the skiffs on the shore.

View Larger Map

Thread Information