Thread: Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Default Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship

Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship

December 09, 2008 3:37 PM

"Obviously like the rest of the people of Illinois I am saddened and sobered by the news that came out of the US attorney's office today," said President-elect Obama this afternoon in Chicago, speaking of the criminal complaint against Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich for corruption. "But as this is a ongoing investigation involving the governor I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment on the issue at this time."

Asked what contact he'd had with the governor's office about his replacement in the Senate, President-elect Obama today said "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening."

But on November 23, 2008, his senior adviser David Axelrod appeared on Fox News Chicago and said something quite different.

While insisting that the President-elect had not expressed a favorite to replace him, and his inclination was to avoid being a "kingmaker," Axelrod said, "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

(UPDATE: An Obama Transition Team aide says that Axelrod misspoke on Fox News Chicago.)
    There are no allegations that President-elect Obama or anyone close to him had anything to do with any of the crimes Gov. Blagojevich is accused of having committed.

In fact, there are indications that Mr. Obama and his team refused to go along with the "pay to play" way Blagojevich is accused of operating, offering only "gratitude" if the governor appointed his friend Valerie Jarrett to take his U.S. Senate seat, much to the governor's chagrin.

But there remain questions about how Blagojevich knew that Mr. Obama was not willing to give him anything in exchange for the Senate seat -- with whom was Blagojevich speaking? Did that person report the governor to the authorities?

And, it should be pointed out, Mr. Obama has a relationship with Mr. Blagojevich, having not only endorsed Blagojevich in 2002 and 2006, but having served as a top adviser to the Illinois governor in his first 2002 run for the state house.
    In the Democratic gubernatorial primary that year, then-state sen. Obama endorsed former Illinois Attorney General Roland Burris. But after Blagojevich won, Obama came around enthusiastically. At the same time, meanwhile, Axelrod had such serious concerns about whether Blagojevich was ready for governing he refused to work for his one-time client.

According to Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., Mr. Obama's incoming White House chief of staff, Emanuel, then-state senator Obama, a third Blagojevich aide, and Blagojevich's campaign co-chair, David Wilhelm, were the top strategists of Blagojevich's 2002 gubernatorial victory.

Emanuel told the New Yorker earlier this year that he and Obama "participated in a small group that met weekly when Rod was running for governor. We basically laid out the general election, Barack and I and these two."

Wilhelm said that Emanuel had overstated Obama's role. "There was an advisory council that was inclusive of Rahm and Barack but not limited to them," Wilhelm said, and he disputed the notion that Obama was "an architect or one of the principal strategists."
    (An Obama Transition Team aide emails to note that Emanuel later changed his recollection of this story to Rich Miller's "CAPITOL FAX," saying, "David [Wilhelm] and I have worked together on campaigns for decades. Like always, he's right and I'm wrong.")
    Either way, others now around Obama were less enthusiastic about Blagojevich at the time, namely David Axelrod, Obama's senior campaign adviser who will soon be a senior adviser at the White House.

Axelrod had worked for Blagojevich in his past races for the House, but he declined to work on his gubernatorial run.

"He had been my client and I had a very good relationship with him, but I didn't sign on to the governor's race," Axelrod told the New Yorker. "Obviously he won, but I had concerns about it...I was concerned about whether he was ready for that. Not so much for the race but for governing. I was concerned about some of the folks -- I was concerned about how the race was being approached."

On the Chicago TV show "Public Affairs with Jeff Berkowitz" on June 27, 2002, state Sen. Obama said, "Right now, my main focus is to make sure that we elect Rod Blagojevich as Governor, we..."

"You working hard for Rod?" interrupted Berkowitz.

"You betcha," said Obama.

"Hot Rod?" asked the host.

"That's exactly right," Obama said.

In 2004, then-Gov. Blagojevich enthusiastically endorsed Obama for the Senate seat after he won the nomination, and Obama endorsed Blagojevich for his 2006 re-election race in early 2005.

In the Summer of 2006, then-U.S. Sen. Obama backed Blagojevich even though there were serious questions at the time about Blago's hiring practices.

At the time, numerous state agencies had had records subpoenaed, with U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald telling authorities he was looking into "very serious allegations of endemic hiring fraud" with a "number of credible witnesses."

In an interview with the Chicago Daily Herald in July 2006, then-Sen. Obama said, "I have not followed closely enough what's been taking place in these investigations to comment on them. Obviously I'm concerned about reports that hiring practices at the state weren't, at times, following appropriate procedures. How high up that went, the degree at which the governor was involved, is not something I'm going to speculate on.

"If I received information that made me believe that any Democrat had not been acting in the public interest, I'd be concerned," Obama said.

That said, Mr. Obama said, "If the governor asks me to work on his behalf, I'll be happy to do it."

Apparently the governor did. At the Illinois State Fair in August 2006, Obama spoke on Blagojevich's behalf.

"We've got a governor in Rod Blagojevich who has delivered consistently on behalf of the people of Illinois," Obama told the crowd.

In January 2007, Blagojevich's office reserved the Old State Capitol for Mr. Obama's presidential announcement at Obama's request.

Blagojevich spokeswoman Rebecca Rausch told reporters that "Representatives for Sen. Obama contacted the governor's office regarding use of the Old State Capitol. We contacted the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and reserved the Old State Capitol for the Senator on February 10th."

The Old State Capitol is where President Abraham Lincoln delivered his "House Divided" speech in 1858.

Fitzgerald today said that the charges the government was making about Blagojevich "would make Lincoln turn over in his grave."

-- jpt

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalp...ions-arise.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Default Re: Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/acrobat/2008-12/43789468.pdf

The attorney for Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich said the governor will be vindicated and he has no plans to resign.

"He didn't do anything wrong," attorney Sheldon Sorosky told reporters after Blagojevich was arraigned. "A lot of this is just politics."

Blagojevich should be in the office Wednesday, Sorosky added.

So, reporters asked, he does not intend to resign?

"Not that I know of, no," said Sorosky, who added that the governor was "surprised" by the day's events.
    Last edited by samizdat; December 10th, 2008 at 06:08. Reason: surprise

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

Blago is going to take a dirt nap on this one, just like Ryan and the other two gov's from Illinois who ended up in the big house.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

the governor was "surprised" by the day's events.
    Perhaps somebody should let Mr. Naive know that from this point forward he better make it a priority to watch his back.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:

Thanks

I honestly don't think Obama had his hands in this one. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose. He knew It'd be a Democrat, no worries there. And give credit where credit is due, Obama is smart. Very smart, always chess playing 10 steps ahead. He wouldn't dirty his hands over something this trivial and locked in with the Presidency on the line.

Blagojevich was just a criminally greedy little bastard and his evil little mind wouldn't let go of what he saw as a money making opportunity. Bend over Blag, Lady Justice says it's cavity search time.

Thanks

Michelle Obama Is The “Specifically Named Individual” On Page 64 of The Affidavit Submitted by FBI

By TruthtellergravatarcloseAuthor: Truthteller Name: Truthteller
    Email: susanunpc@gmail.com
    Site: http://noquarterusa.net/blog/

about: See Authors Posts (82) on December 9, 2008 at 6:34 PM in Barack Obama, Chicago, Chicago politics, Michelle Obama, Obama Comrades, Obama Family, Obama's Thugs, Patrick Fitzgerald, Rezko, Richard Daley, Tony Rezko, US Senate, Valerie Jarrett, corruption

Please read the Criminal Complaint filed by David W. Cain, Special Agent of the FBI. Details of the conversations Blagojevich had with his operatives about Barack Obama and the possibility Barack Obama would strike several deals with Blagojevich regarding the open Senate seat are discussed, and yes, quotations are provided.

I enjoy this gem from pages 63-64, where a telephone conversation between Blagojevich, Advisor B, a political consultant in Washington, DC, another Washington, DC, political consultant and John Haris, the Governor’s General Counsel, is discussed:

ROD BLAGOJEVICH said that the consultants (Advisor B and another consultant are believed to be on the call at that time) are telling him that he has to “suck it up” for two years and do nothing and give this “mother****er [the President-elect] his senator. **** him. For nothing? **** him.” ROD BLAGOJEVICH states that he will put “[Senate Candidate 4]” in the Senate “before I just give ****ing [Senate Candidate 1] a ****ing Senate seat and I don’t get anything.” (Senate Candidate 4 is a Deputy Governor of the State of Illinois). ROD BLAGOJEVICH stated that he needs to find a way to take the “financial stress” off of his family and that his wife is as qualified or more qualified than another specifically named individual to sit on corporate boards. According to ROD BLAGOJEVICH, “the immediate challenge [is] how do we take some of the financial pressure off of our family.” Later in the phone call, ROD BLAGOJEVICH stated that absent getting something back, ROD BLAGOJEVICH will not pick Senate Candidate 1. HARRIS re-stated ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s thoughts that they should ask the President-elect for something for ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s financial security as well as maintain his political viability. HARRIS said they could work out a three-way deal with SEIU and the President-elect where SEIU could help the President-elect with ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s appointment of Senate Candidate 1 to the vacant Senate seat, ROD BLAGOJEVICH would obtain a position as the National Director of the Change to Win campaign, and SEIU would get something favorable from the President-elect in the future.

Senate Candidate 1 is Valerie Jarrett, an Obama advisor who also served as Daley’s Chief of Staff. Jarrett is very close to the Obamas. Senate Candidate 4 is either Dean Martinez, Bob Greenlee or Louanner Peters, all of whom are Deputy Governors of Illinois.

The “specifically named individual” is Michelle Obama, who was appointed to the Board of TreeHouse Foods, a WAL-MART vendor, on June 25, 2007, even though she did not have experience in the private sector previous to the appointment. Here are the benefits the Obama family received as a result of Michelle Obama’s stint with the WAL-MART vendor:

According to the couple’s tax returns, Mrs Obama earned $51,200 (£25,700) for her work as a non-executive director on Treehouse’s board last year, on top of the $271,618 salary she was paid as a vice-president of the University of Chicago Hospitals.

She also received 7,500 Treehouse stock options, worth a further $72,375, as she did the previous year, when she banked a $45,000 salary from the company.

Michelle Obama is the “specifically named individual” who was able to sit on corporate boards, although she lacks the experience of Blagojevich’s wife. And notice how Michelle Obama’s position with the WAL-MART vendor helped alleviate the “financial stress” of the Obama family at a time when they were purchasing a mansion from Rezko they could not afford.

Why is this relevant?

Blagojevich, according to the FBI complaint, thought Barack Obama could appoint his wife to corporate boards if he were to appoint Valerie Jarrett to the open Senate seat vacated by Obama. I quote pages 54-55 of the criminal complaint filed by Special Agent of the FBI David Cain:

By law, after the President-elect’s resignation of his position as a U.S. Senator, which was effective on November 16, 2008, ROD BLAGOJEVICH has sole authority to appoint his replacement for the two years remaining of the President-elect’s Senate term. See 10 ILCS 5/25-8. During the course of this investigation, agents have intercepted a series of communications regarding the efforts of ROD BLAGOJEVICH, JOHN HARRIS, and others to misuse this power to obtain personal gain, including financial gain, for ROD BLAGOJEVICH and his family. In particular, ROD BLAGOJEVICH has been intercepted conspiring to trade the senate seat for particular positions that the President-elect has the power to appoint (e.g. the Secretary of Health and Human Services). ROD BLAGOJEVICH has also been intercepted conspiring to sell the Senate seat in exchange for his wife’s placement on paid corporate boards or ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s placement at a private foundation in a significant position with a substantial salary. ROD BLAGOJEVICH has also been intercepted conspiring to sell the Senate seat in exchange for millions of dollars in funding for a non-profit organization that he would start and that would employ him at a substantial salary after he left the governorship.

Blagojevich, in other words, assumed Obama would appoint his wife to a Board for the political favor of selecting Valerie Jarrett for the Senate seat. Blagojevich is not a stupid man. Indeed, he only assumed Obama would participate in this “pay to play” scheme, for he knows Obama is acutely aware how the game is played in Illinois and in Chicago. This explains why Blagojevich mentions Michelle Obama and her lack of qualifications to serve on the Board of TreeHouse Foods when he discusses how Obama could appoint Mrs. Blagojevich to a Board for the political favor of appointing Jarrett to the US Senate seat. Michelle, after all, was appointed to sit on the Board of TreeHouse foods AFTER Obama was elected to the US Senate. Moreover, Michelle Obama’s salary at The University of Chicago nearly TRIPLED after her husband gained the power to submit earmark requests on her employer’s behalf. Just appoint the spouse to a Board and increase his or her salary if you need a political favor from an Illinois politician. That is how the “play to pay” game is played.

Blagojevich understands this, and he knows Obama understands this. Why else does FBI Agent Cain report the following discussion that occurred on Nov 8, 2008?

On November 8, 2008, ROD BLAGOJEVICH talked with JOHN HARRIS about the Senate seat. During the conversation, ROD BLAGOJEVICH and HARRIS discussed whether it would be possible to obtain a financial benefit for ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s wife in relation to the Senate seat. Specifically, ROD BLAGOJEVICH referred to his wife’s Series 7 license and asked “is there a play here, with these guys, with her” to work for a firm in Washington or New York at a significantly better salary than she is making now. Also, ROD BLAGOJEVICH wanted to know whether SEIU could do something to get his wife a position at Change to Win until ROD BLAGOJEVICH could take a position at Change to Win.

Michelle Obama, Blagojevich implies, received an appointment to a Board for which she was not qualified as a result of a “pay to play” scheme. What about his wife? After all, Obama ally Valerie Jarrett wants the Senate seat. What about Blagojevich’s wife? What about Blagojevich’s “financial stress?”

Blagojevich and his advisers only thought of this as a possibility, for they know Obama has already played the game. Again, these are smart men who know the rules of the game. Why else would they think Obama would participate in a “pay to play” scheme? Michelle was paid for someone to play, they thought. What about Mrs. Blagojevich? Besides, Mrs. Blagojevich has a Series 7 license. All Michelle has is a license to practice law that was revoked as a result of a court order in 1993.

Blagojevich thought Obama would “pay to play,” as the Obamas have been engaged in “pay to play” schemes in the past. That is what Blagojevich thought, and that is why the Obamas are yet again mentioned in a complaint filed in a Court of law.

Memeorandum’s stories on today’s shocking news.

http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/200...fbi/#more-8116

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

• DECEMBER 12, 2008

Obama to List Contacts With Illinois Governor

By JONATHAN WEISMAN

President-elect Barack Obama promised to release in the next few days a list of contacts between his transition staff and staff or emissaries of Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, as Mr. Obama sought to move beyond the embarrassment of his home state's disgraced governor.

"What I'm absolutely certain about is that our office had no involvement in any deal-making around my Senate seat," Mr. Obama said. "That would be a violation of everything that this campaign has been about."

The president-elect's first lengthy comments on the Blagojevich matter came at a news conference Thursday called to announce his health-policy team. Still, Mr. Obama and his aides have yet to answer some key questions related to the Blagojevich case. The president-elect declined to identify an anonymous Obama adviser whom a federal affadavit says Mr. Blagojevich ordered his chief of staff to contact. And Mr. Obama wouldn't comment on how Mr. Blagojevich determined that the Obama team was unwilling to participate in the governor's alleged schemes if their respective staffs never discussed them.

"I can't presume to know what was in the mind of the governor during this process," Mr. Obama said.

U.S. Attorney Patrick J. Fitzgerald said Tuesday that neither the president-elect nor his staff had been implicated in the governor's arrest that morning. Yet for the third straight day, Mr. Obama found his message buried under Blagojevich questions. After the president-elect introduced his nominee for secretary of health and human services, former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, most of the questions concerned Mr. Blagojevich.
    Senior Obama adviser David Axelrod said he isn't concerned and felt "pretty doggone good," citing a Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll that shows overwhelming support for the way Mr. Obama is handling the transition.
    While Obama aides refuse to comment on the Blagojevich investigation, officials familiar with the matter say they assume the "President-elect Advisor" referenced in the federal complaint is Rahm Emanuel, who will become White House chief of staff.

Mr. Blagojevich asked his chief of staff to let the adviser know the governor wanted to "put together" a nonprofit and "can you guys help him...raise 10, 15 million." On Nov. 13, according to the affidavit, the governor said he wanted "[President-elect Advisor] to get the word today," and that when "he asks me for the Fifth CD thing I want it to be in his head." The affidavit says investigators believe that is a reference to Illinois's Fifth Congressional District, represented by Mr. Emanuel.

Write to Jonathan Weisman at jonathan.weisman@wsj.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1229...googlenews_wsj

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Dec 12, 2008 5:58 am US/Central
    Questions Surround Emanuel In Blagojevich Case

Emanuel Declines Comment On Whether He Had Conversations With Blagojevich

CHICAGO (CBS) ― Questions are mounting about the possible involvement of President-elect Barack Obama's chief of staff Rahm Emanuel in the scandal engulfing Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

As CBS 2's Joanie Lum reports, Blagojevich represented the North and Northwest Side's 5th Congressional District in Washington before he was elected governor and Emanuel took over in 2002.

An examination of the FBI complaint against Blagojevich and the days immediately following Obama's historic election victory suggests the governor was highly interested in Obama confidante Valerie Jarrett as a potential Senate appointee, albeit with a steep price tag.

The 76-page complaint contains multiple references to "Senate Candidate 1," whose description clearly fits Jarrett, a former finance chief for Obama's earlier campaigns and incoming senior White House adviser. Read More

Because of that, the question has thus arisen as to whether Emanuel had any dealings with the governor.

Emanuel did not appear at a news conference Thursday at which President-elect Obama addressed the Blagojevich scandal and announced Tom Daschle as his pick for Health and Human Services secretary.

But a Chicago Sun-Times reporter ran into Emanuel at City Hall, and said Emanuel refused to answer any questions about whether he had conversations with Blagojevich.

Obama said at the news conference Thursday that no one on his staff tried to make any deals.

"What I want to do is to gather all the facts about any staff contacts that may have taken place between the transition office and the governor's office, and we'll have those in the next few days, and we'll present them," Obama said. "But what I'm absolutely certain about is that our office had no involvement in any deal making around my Senate seat."

The criminal complaint indicates that Blagojevich was trying to get a cabinet position or ambassadorship in exchange for appointing Obama's friend to the vacant Senate seat.

No one on Obama's team is accused of any wrongdoing in the Blagojevich case.

CBS 2's Joanie Lum and the Associated Press contributed to this report. (© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Rendell: Obama bungles Blago response

Carrie Budoff Brown Carrie Budoff Brown – Fri Dec 12, 9:02 am ET

– Obama confident staff clear in Ill. gov scandal

AP – President-elect Barack Obama, right, listens to Gov. of Pennsylvania Ed Rendell, left, at the Bipartisan …

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell today criticized Barack Obama for not being more upfront about the Illinois corruption scandal.

Now, he said, the story will continue to dominate the media’s attention.
    “They have never been in an executive position before,” Rendell said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “The rule of thumb is whatever you did, say it and get it over with and make it a one-day story as opposed to a three-day story. Politicians are always misjudging the intelligence of the American people.”

Known for his blunt critiques of fellow Democrats, Rendell did not hold back during the interview.

The public, said Rendell, understands Obama and his aides would have an interest in who fills the Senate seat and some contact with the governor's office — and that Obama should have said as much at the outset.

"Did Rahm Emanuel, who took Rod Blagojevich's seat in Congress, have contact with Rod Blagojevich? Of course he did," Rendell said. "They may have thought he was the craziest S.O.B. in the world. But you still have to have contact with him."

The criminal complaint essentially exonerates Obama and his staff, Rendell said, because it quotes Blagojevich as saying the president-elect would offer him nothing but appreciation for appointing Obama confidant Valerie Jarrett to the position.

“Blagojevich curses them out,” Rendell said. “It is easy [for Obama to] just say, ‘Hey folks, here it is. Of course we had contact.'

"But they made the mistake of making it a four or five or six-day story.”
    After an early version of this story was published online, Rendell called Politico expressing concern that the story conveyed a misleading impression.

“I want to be as clear as I possibly can,” Rendell said. “I think the president-elect and his staff did nothing wrong, and don’t think they had anything to do with this.”

He said the point he was making — echoing that of others on “Morning Joe” — was one of how to tactically respond to an unfolding news story, amid intense curiosity about any dealings between Obama’s staff and Blagojevich. “The best way to handle things like this is just get it out,” said Rendell, adding his prediction that the public would be tolerant about any disclosures.

Obama issued a tepid statement on the first day of the scandal, issued a call through his spokesman for the governor’s resignation on the second day, and pledged Thursday to release details of his staff’s contact with Blagojevich’s office in the coming days.

Emanuel turned testy and declined to talk with a reporter who approached him Thursday at Chicago City Hall, where he was watching his children perform in a concert. The Chicago Sun-Times reporter pressed him to comment about whether he was the emissary named in the criminal complaint.

“You’re wasting your time,” Emanuel said. “I’m not going to say a word to you. I’m going to do this with my children. Don’t do that. I’m a father. I have two kids. I’m not going to do it.”

When pressed for comment, he said, “I’m not as capable as you. I’m going to be a father. I’m allowed to be a father,” and he pushed the reporter’s digital recorder away.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/16520

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Rahm Emanuel Reportedly Spoke with Blagojevich About Senate Seat

Chicago -- The firestorm surrounding Governor Blagojevich is putting some heat on Barack Obama’s transition team. Fox Chicago News has learned about possible conversations between a top Obama aide and the governor regarding the open senate seat. Craig Wall

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Barack Obama chief Rahm Emanuel drawn into Rod Blagojevich

By Jitendra Joshi in Washington

December 15, 2008 08:00am

BARACK Obama's chief of staff is under pressure over reported contacts with Illinois's corruption-tainted governor, who faces impeachment proceedings this week.

Rahm Emanuel, a combative congressman from Illinois who will serve as Obama's political gatekeeper in the White House, was reported to have been in touch with Governor Rod Blagojevich about Mr Obama's Senate seat.

The Chicago Tribune and New York Times did not suggest any wrongdoing by Mr Emanuel, citing sources as saying he had presented suggested names to take over the seat without offering any inducements to Mr Blagojevich.

But the reports could present a distraction to the president-elect, as the Republican Party released a new advertisement declaring that "questions remain" over Mr Obama's links to the disgraced governor.

The web ad by the Republican National Committee highlighted Mr Obama's past support for Mr Blagojevich and showed commentators questioning why the president-elect had not been more forthright in denouncing the Governor.

Mr Blagojevich has refused to resign after his arrest in an FBI investigation that accuses him of staggering corruption, including an attempt to sell Mr Obama's vacated Senate seat to the highest bidder.

Illinois lawmakers are expected to begin impeachment proceedings today in a hastily called special session, while state Attorney General Lisa Madigan wants the state supreme court to strip Mr Blagojevich of the bulk of his powers.

Ms Madigan noted speculation, reported by the Chicago Sun-Times, that Mr Blagojevich may now be set to resign as early as today or temporarily step aside to fight the corruption allegations.

Commenting on the reports about Emanuel, she told NBC television that it "doesn't appear from what I've heard so far that there is anything improper that has occurred."

Ms Madigan was among the names reportedly suggested by Mr Emanuel for the Governor to appoint as Mr Obama's senatorial replacement.

Others were Mr Obama's senior adviser Valerie Jarrett, Illinois Representative Jan Schakowsky, state Comptroller Dan Hynes and Illinois Veterans Affairs director Tammy Duckworth.

"One source confirmed that communications between Emanuel and the Blagojevich administration were captured on court-approved wire-taps," the Chicago Tribune said.

But wire-tap transcripts released by prosecutors suggest that Mr Blagojevich was not being offered anything beyond appreciation from the Obama camp, much to the Governor's foul-mouthed frustration.

Mr Obama has ordered his staff to divulge any contacts they may have had with Mr Blagojevich, while insisting he was "absolutely certain" that there had been no dealings on the alleged scheme to sell off the Senate seat.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...012748,00.html

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

But wire-tap transcripts released by prosecutors suggest that Mr Blagojevich was not being offered anything beyond appreciation from the Obama camp, much to the Governor's foul-mouthed frustration.

Mr Obama has ordered his staff to divulge any contacts they may have had with Mr Blagojevich, while insisting he was "absolutely certain" that there had been no dealings on the alleged scheme to sell off the Senate seat.
    Who was offering appreciation? Yes, somebody. I'm "absolutely certain" that those who knew about the dealings had a responsibility to report on it. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Rahm's Calls on Tape
    Sneed hears rumbles President-elect Barack Obama's chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, is reportedly on 21 different taped conversations by the feds -- dealing with his boss' vacant Senate seat!

A lot of chit-chat?

Hot air?

Or trouble?

To date: Rahm's been mum. Stay tuned.

Thanks

Emanuel talked directly to gov: source
    DEEPER ROLE? | Pushed Jarrett for Senate seat

December 18, 2008

BY NATASHA KORECKI

Federal Courts Reporter nkorecki@suntimes.com

President-elect Barack Obama's incoming chief of staff Rahm Emanuel had a deeper involvement in pressing for a U.S. Senate seat appointment than previously reported, the Sun-Times has learned. Emanuel had direct discussions about the seat with Gov. Blagojevich, who is is accused of trying to auction it to the highest bidder.

Emanuel talked with the governor in the days following the Nov. 4 election and pressed early on for the appointment of Valerie Jarrett to the post, sources with knowledge of the conversations told the Sun-Times. There was no indication from sources that Emanuel brokered a deal, however.

A source with the Obama camp strongly denied Emanuel spoke with the governor directly about the seat, saying Emanuel only spoke with Blagojevich once recently to say he was taking the chief of staff post.

But sources with knowledge of the investigation said Blagojevich told his aides about the calls with Emanuel and sometimes gave them directions afterward. Sources said that early on, Emanuel pushed for the appointment of Jarrett to the governor and his staff and asked that it be done by a certain date.

At least some of the conversations between Emanuel and Blagojevich were likely caught on tape, sources said.

After Jarrett took herself out of the running in mid-November, Emanuel submitted a list of suitable names to the governor's camp that didn't include her name.

Emanuel, who has refused to comment on the issue, is not accused of wrongdoing.

In portions of conversations released in a criminal complaint against Blagojevich, he can be heard complaining that Obama wouldn't give anything in return for a Jarrett appointment.

Contributing: Fran Spielman

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/b...18good.article

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Many pardons Pardon 'em . . .

December 19, 2008
    BY MICHAEL SNEED Sun-Times Columnist

A pre-Christmas gift? Sneed is told Gov. Blagojevich, who is showing no sign of yielding his power, wielded his pen to sign 60 petitions for clemency Thursday.

To wit: While everyone waits to see if President Bush grants clemency to former Gov. George Ryan (Dec. 23?), Gov. Blago decided to help erase the backlog of 2,300 clemency petitions awaiting approval.

Background: "The backlog contains requests from innocent people whose convictions were overturned but couldn't get a job because they needed a pardon to erase the conviction from their record," said a Sneed source.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/1...NEED19.article

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Biden: Report to clear Obama aides in gov. probe

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer Nedra Pickler, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 32 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Vice President-elect Joe Biden said Tuesday that a report due to be released imminently will show "no inappropriate contact" between President-elect Barack Obama's staff and embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

Blagojevich has been accused of putting Obama's Senate seat up for sale to the highest bidder. Prosecutors say in a criminal complaint that Blagojevich was scheming to use his authority to appoint Obama's replacement to profit financially or obtain an appointment in the new administration.

After the charges were filed earlier this month, Obama ordered an internal review of his staff's contacts with Blagojevich and is planning to release the results of that review Tuesday afternoon.

"I don't think there is anything to exonerate," Biden said, when asked by reporters about the report following an economic briefing. He said the report will show "there has been no inappropriate contact between any member of the Obama staff or transition team with Blagojevich."

The report's release comes as Obama is vacationing in Hawaii. Obama said last week he wants to answer questions about conversations his aides had over filling his Senate seat because nothing inappropriate took place. But he kept the details private while the federal investigation continues.

"We have a report," Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said Monday.

"It's been ready for release for a week. We've held off at the request of the U.S. Attorney's office and that continues to be the case, though we expect to be able to release the report shortly."

Aides said Obama had no plans to make a public statement on his internal report while in Hawaii. Last week Obama described the findings of the review as "thorough and comprehensive" and promised they would be made public this week.

Incoming White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel contacted Blagojevich's office about the appointment, according to a source close to the governor who requested anonymity because the person is not authorized to speak on the matter. Blagojevich believed Emanuel was advocating Obama friend Valerie Jarrett for the Senate seat so he would not have to compete with her for Obama's attention in the White House, the source said.

The U.S. attorney's office had been secretly recording Blagojevich's calls since October. A federal complaint charging the governor with seeking cash and favors for Obama's vacant Senate seat doesn't cite conversations with Emanuel or others on the transition staff.

U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald in Chicago said when announcing the charges that Obama was not implicated in the case, and sources have said Emanuel is not a target of prosecutors.

An official familiar with Obama's internal review said the president-elect's team wrote its report without having access to transcripts of the FBI's taped conversations. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because this person was not authorized to discuss the review publicly.

Emanuel has refused to comment on his recent interaction with Blagojevich and his staff. Emanuel succeeded Blagojevich in his House seat in 2002, when Blagojevich became governor. Emanuel also served as an informal campaign adviser to the governor and has a mutual friend with Blagojevich who has become a key player in the criminal investigation.

The governor at times considered trying to exchange Obama's Senate seat for a presidential appointment, a job for his wife, campaign contributions and donations to a nonprofit he hoped to create, according to the complaint.

Blagojevich expressed frustration in one conversation taped by the FBI that Obama and his advisers weren't "willing to give me anything except appreciation. (Expletive) them," the complaint quoted him as saying.
    ___
    Associated Press Writer Ben Feller contributed to this story.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Personally... I think someone ought to buy the Senator slot here in Colorado for me.

Salazar is leaving it... he's an asshole. I'm an asshole. The seat isn't worth a plugged nickel.

Someone OUGHT to be able to get it pretty cheap for me......
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

An email from Judicial Watch.
    Be sure to check out the embedded links to view the documents.

When federal authorities arrested Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich in early December for attempting to "sell" Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat, among other corruption charges, focus immediately turned to Barack Obama. Did the Obama team have any knowledge about the scheme? Obama vehemently denied he had any contacts with Blagojevich.
    Not true, according to documents obtained by Judicial Watch this week from Blagojevich's office through the Freedom of Information Act. (You may recall that we filed a FOIA request on December 18th.)
    The documents include a December 3, 2008, letter from Barack Obama following his well-publicized December 2, 2008, meeting with Blagojevich as well as a November 17, 2008, letter signed by Presidential Transition Team co-chairs Valerie Jarrett and John Podesta providing Blagojevich with a list of transition team contacts.
    Here are a few excerpts from the letter signed by President-elect Obama
    less than one week before the Blagojevich arrest:
    • "Thank you for meeting with me on Tuesday in Philadelphia. Vice President-elect Joe Biden and I were pleased with the open discussion."
    • "As we discussed, I would appreciate any advice you can provide to me and my team on the biggest roadblocks to states in moving forward in 'getting ready to go' projects started quickly."
    • "In addition, I welcome any advice you can provide me and my team on revitalizing and reinvigorating the state-federal partnership. I want to make it a priority of my Administration to work closely with you."
    • "I look forward to working with you and hitting the ground running on January 20th."

I took note of the strong language Obama used in this letter. Clearly he intended to maintain a close relationship with Blagojevich, who has been under investigation for a host of scandals for years. And it was interesting to see Obama solicit Blago for his pork "ready to go" projects.
    The November 17, 2008, letter signed by Jarrett and Podesta, meanwhile, states:
    "On behalf President-elect Barack Obama and Vice President-elect Joe Biden we want you to know of our strong interest in working with you in the months to come. As you may know we have formed a Presidential Transition Team so that the new Administration will be prepared to confront the extraordinary challenges facing our country. Your leadership and experience will be invaluable in this effort and we hope you will not hesitate to share your insights during this process."
    This letter provides proof that Blagojevich had access to a multitude of contacts at the highest levels of the Obama transition team while he plotted to strike a deal with Obama for the Senate seat.

Two questions arise in my mind from Judicial Watch's latest discovery. First, in the interest of transparency, why did President-elect Obama not release this letter to the American people? The Obama crowd says the documents were merely form letters. If they were so innocuous, why didn't Obama release them himself? What else is Obama hiding?

Buried in the news over Christmas, Obama admitted he was questioned for two hours by U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald. How many president-elects have been questioned in criminal investigatons? Another Obama first? Judicial Watch's investigation continues...

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thread Information