Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Thanks

Default Dogs

We have a new member to our family...my SIL got a puppy.

Leads me to the topic of dogs. I grew up with lots of various kinds of dogs...I need something small. 15lbs or less. I'm open for suggestions.

Oh, and here is this year's Christmas puppy.

Last edited by Malsua; December 2nd, 2010 at 19:46.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Dogs

Awww, what a cute picture!

I don't have a lot of experience with smaller dogs (all of ours have been big or bigger) but, I've heard good things about Jack Russel Terriers.

Thanks

My mom had a jack russel. Demon spawn!!

Not mean...way too excitable.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Yep, heard that too! VERY high energy!

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Our pup at just a couple months old.

Now at one year old the mountain bred force of Fionn, our male Irish Wolfhound English Mastiff hybrid. He weighs in at roughly 180 pounds and is still growing.

I'm sorry. You said SMALL dog.

The following are tried and true small breeds that are typically pretty good with families and have great personalities.

French Bulldog -French Bulldog can be easily distinguished by its flat face, snub nose, smooth coat and muscular frame. It reaches a maximum height of 12". This breed is generally very gentle and doesn't snap unless provoked. They generally prefer human interaction and can be fabulous cohorts.

Dachshund

Miniature Pinscher - The miniature pinscher is an energetic, playful, and friendly dog that thrives on owner interaction. These are typically categorized as "one, or two person dogs", but with socialization, they can be integrated into families, and get along with other dogs, pets, and children. Children, especially younger ones, must be encouraged to act gently and responsibly around this smaller breed to avoid injury for both parties.
    Last edited by MinutemanCO; December 26th, 2008 at 17:35.

Thanks

beagles, cockers, JRs, Bichon Fries, and Mini-pins are all good small dogs for a home.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Baldwin View Post
    beagles, cockers, JRs, Bichon Fries, and Mini-pins are all good small dogs for a home.
    All good in a survival situation too.....

Though, dog meat is a bit stringy....
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Dog meat is meh.

Battered and deep fried cat...now there's a real treat.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    All good in a survival situation too.....

Though, dog meat is a bit stringy....
    Just cut thin against the grain like a flank steak. I ate dog several times in Korea and China. The flavor though wasn't all that great. Just tasted "off". Gamey but not in a pleasant way. There was a dipping sauce at a BBQ place that was good with it though. Not something I'd order again.

Whale however is excellent if you ever get a chance.

Thanks

I tried dog on a bet once. best 50 bucks I ever won.

The guy's face was priceless.... "You're really NOT gonna eat that, are you?"

"yup..."
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Word of advice. Never EVER get a chihuahua. Ever.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Hmm wonder what chihuahua tastes like?

Probably like rat.....
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Not much meat on a Chihuahua. It'd be better to stake it out as bait for a bear.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Keep it coming, guys. These are great ideas.
    Domine, dirige nos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    Not much meat on a Chihuahua. It'd be better to stake it out as bait for a bear.
    LOL That's pretty much what we call dogs here in Colorado anyway. Bear Bait.

What are you doing, RC? Writing a novel and you're using us as the fodder... I mean the story line.. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Hello mudder,
    hello fodder,
    here I am in,
    Camp Granada............
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Newest addition Ms. Lukes pack, 76 lbs of goofy poodle. His family lost their home and put him in poodle rescue. 12 years old, named Herman. What a dork. Still he will live out his life in the comfort and luxury of Ms. Lukes home for the unwanted. I had thought if I ever got another German Shepard I would call it Goering, so I guess it all works out.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Wanted to resurrect this thread to see if anyone had any input on a dog breed called the Field Spaniel.

I have an opportunity to take one in and was curious about any information above the generic info I've read on the internet.

The owners used to show them and are getting out of the game. They have a couple they are looking to place in new homes as 8 are too many for them. They said these dogs are a rare breed that normally sell for $2500, are all show trained, and between (I think) 3-5 years old.

I wasn't really looking at taking a new dog in at the moment but my youngest brother finally moved out so I'm thinking it might be good to have a buddy for my lab/pit mix I've got now so she isn't home alone all day.

Thanks

That dog looks like a springer spaniel to me, with Irish Setter colors!

Spaniels, in general (including Cocker Spaniels, Springer Spaniels) tend to be... what I call "high strung". Kind of nervous dogs in my experience. But smart as hell usually. Also I understand (no experience) but they are decent hunting dogs, if trained that way.

Any dog that is "show trained" will be pretty obedient though and probably well enough trained as a companion

I don't have dogs (or cats, birds, fish, or other critters) any more. I'm done with the "pet" thing for good. I've had probably a dozen dogs and nearly as many cats over the years and I can't even COUNT the tropical fish I've had, birds (parakeets, as well as a parrot - he was a cool bird), a rabbit or three.... and I just can no longer justify the cost, upkeep, MEDICAL CRAP you have to do in some states.

And where I am headed pets are difficult to take care of because a lot of countries block their entry, or put them into quarantine for months, something I wouldn't want to subject a pet to.

So - for what it is worth, that's a pretty dog, and likely a pretty intelligent dog from what I know of spaniels.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Good to know.

I hadn't wanted to get another dog unless it was a Golden or GSD so I'm still a bit on the fence at this point but, I am leaning toward taking one in. I suppose I can always get other dogs once I've bought a house.

The good thing is, from what I've read, they are smaller dogs so it wouldn't cost a lot in terms of food and they don't seem to have much in the way of predisposition toward illness.

Thread Information