Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dogs

Thanks

Default Re: Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    Thanks Mal.

The last 4 years weren't easy with the diabetes but thankfully having that pet insurance made it bearable. I simply would not have been able to afford the insulin she needed yearly otherwise (almost $3k) plus it let me give her her sight back after the diabetic cataracts and glaucoma after.

The loss never gets any easier no matter how many of them we bring into our lives, and yet we do it anyway. Certainly says something about how awesome dogs are, even if some (maybe even ones of the German variety pictured above) eat our sofas.
    Dogs certainly make life easier for mankind, I think. I'm reminded of an old story after the Fall, when Adam and Eve left Paradise of all the animals only the Dogs followed our first parents into our Exile, willingly. Sorry about your loss Ryan, I still remember my dog I had before he died fighting a raccoon, and I haven't wanted to replace him after all these years, even. Perhaps I will, Wife wants a German Shepherd or a Brown Labrador.
    Don't like Fascists of any kind, Marxist, Islamist, red white black or brown, they can all take a long walk off a short pier.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Volk,
    Thanks and I hadn't heard that story before but I can believe it.

In my case I just couldn't imagine not having at least one dog around. I knew time wasn't long for Pearl when I brought Freyja into the house. Freyja was a bit of a problem child from when I got her from my brother and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity for Pearl to not only have another dog around to keep her company but for some of Pearl to rub off on Freyja. The two ended up complimenting each other pretty well I think. Pearl had a younger buddy to keep her on her toes and Freyja learned to not be so high strung.

So in light of your predicament, I definitely recommend getting both a GSD and Lab. Two might be more work but, there is one benefit, they will keep each other busy and wear each other out which means less work for you and the wife.

Some words of advice on selecting a GSD since I did quite a lot of homework before I took in Freyja:

- If you get one from a breeder, make sure it is a reputable one.
    - I recommend a working line dog over a show line. Working lines are less likely to have the problems inherent to the breed.
    - Ask if their dogs have any genetic markers for degenerative myelopathy. If they can't tell you, avoid them. If they say it's a carrier, don't plan on ever breeding it so you don't pass it on in the breed.
    - Avoid dogs with excessive "stack", aka roach back (heavy slope in its back towards the rear). Besides looking strange (IMHO), it makes them much more susceptible to hip dysplasia. Mostly found in the show lines since, for some reason, show judges seem to think it's desirable.
    - GSDs love to chew and not just the same thing, they like a variety of textures. Get lots of rope toys, Kong toys, and bones/antlers.
    - GSDs are very high energy and love to run so get a Kong Flyer (rubber Frisbee) and a stack of tennis balls and get used to throwing them.
    - Since they love to run, get a good quality, long retractable leash. I've got a Flexi 3-8 Long (26') that's lasted 15 years and can take Freyja running full bore at trespassing deer when she hits the end of it.

Both breeds are pretty intelligent but GSDs much more so. Freyja can ID her toys when I teller her to go get Squeaky (her Bad Cuz squeaky ball), Kong, ball (tennis ball) or rope. The one thing she just never seems to learn is hitting the end of the leash when going after the deer. Her prey drive is just too strong.

Some folks like to crate train. I'm not a huge fan. You should be able to trust your dog to run free in the house when you're gone and not be destructive. Plus, what good is having a protective breed if you have to leave them locked up when you're gone or sleeping. It's also too easy to use it as a crutch for good training, IMHO.

I have found a remote shock collar helpful for training Freyja but you might not need that if you bring one up from a puppy and devote the proper amount of time to training. Like I said, she was a bit of a problem child when I got her at about 10 months old (between work, school, and family my brother didn't have the proper amount of time to dedicate to training). These days she's a great dog that has come a long way. A little rough around the edges still but, she's not quite 2 yet and I've heard that if you can avoid murdering your GSD before 2, they end up amazing dogs after!

Regardless of which you get, feed them quality food. If you get store bought I like Taste Of The Wild, Orijen, and Royal Canin. They aren't cheap but you'll know you aren't feeding your dog Chinese melamine/lead/etc. I, personally prefer to feed my dogs homemade food, usually consisting of rice and a meat (cooked). Some dogs like veggies added in but Pearl and Freyja didn't/don't care for them. The upside of rice/meat is that it's a bit less expensive than store bought premium and you know your dog is getting good food. The downside is it is more labor intensive and might not have all the nutrients that are added to store bought. You can make up for the nutrients by getting quality daily multivitamins. Also, you can make the food less expensively if you can score meat on sale, like when the grocery store puts frozen turkey on closeout after the holidays. I grabbed 5 turkeys from Sam's at $0.58/lb and stocked up after Thanksgiving.

Now for some inspirational pictures of GSD ownership!

Also, remember to put up your good couch and arm chairs.

That said, from my experience with Freyja, the breed has amazing personality and is a very unique ownership experience.

The closest I've come to owning a Lab is a Lab/Great Dane mix our family had. He liked to play the big goofball but, as I mentioned above, he was smart. Smart enough to open doors with lever door handles! He too was an excellent dog. Super lovable, enjoyed playing, and always happy. I think if he were still around, he and Freyja would have gotten along perfectly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    Volk,
    Thanks and I hadn't heard that story before but I can believe it.

In my case I just couldn't imagine not having at least one dog around. I knew time wasn't long for Pearl when I brought Freyja into the house. Freyja was a bit of a problem child from when I got her from my brother and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity for Pearl to not only have another dog around to keep her company but for some of Pearl to rub off on Freyja. The two ended up complimenting each other pretty well I think. Pearl had a younger buddy to keep her on her toes and Freyja learned to not be so high strung.

So in light of your predicament, I definitely recommend getting both a GSD and Lab. Two might be more work but, there is one benefit, they will keep each other busy and wear each other out which means less work for you and the wife.

Some words of advice on selecting a GSD since I did quite a lot of homework before I took in Freyja:

- If you get one from a breeder, make sure it is a reputable one.
    - I recommend a working line dog over a show line. Working lines are less likely to have the problems inherent to the breed.
    - Ask if their dogs have any genetic markers for degenerative myelopathy. If they can't tell you, avoid them. If they say it's a carrier, don't plan on ever breeding it so you don't pass it on in the breed.
    - Avoid dogs with excessive "stack", aka roach back (heavy slope in its back towards the rear). Besides looking strange (IMHO), it makes them much more susceptible to hip dysplasia. Mostly found in the show lines since, for some reason, show judges seem to think it's desirable.
    - GSDs love to chew and not just the same thing, they like a variety of textures. Get lots of rope toys, Kong toys, and bones/antlers.
    - GSDs are very high energy and love to run so get a Kong Flyer (rubber Frisbee) and a stack of tennis balls and get used to throwing them.
    - Since they love to run, get a good quality, long retractable leash. I've got a Flexi 3-8 Long (26') that's lasted 15 years and can take Freyja running full bore at trespassing deer when she hits the end of it.

Both breeds are pretty intelligent but GSDs much more so. Freyja can ID her toys when I teller her to go get Squeaky (her Bad Cuz squeaky ball), Kong, ball (tennis ball) or rope. The one thing she just never seems to learn is hitting the end of the leash when going after the deer. Her prey drive is just too strong.

Some folks like to crate train. I'm not a huge fan. You should be able to trust your dog to run free in the house when you're gone and not be destructive. Plus, what good is having a protective breed if you have to leave them locked up when you're gone or sleeping. It's also too easy to use it as a crutch for good training, IMHO.

I have found a remote shock collar helpful for training Freyja but you might not need that if you bring one up from a puppy and devote the proper amount of time to training. Like I said, she was a bit of a problem child when I got her at about 10 months old (between work, school, and family my brother didn't have the proper amount of time to dedicate to training). These days she's a great dog that has come a long way. A little rough around the edges still but, she's not quite 2 yet and I've heard that if you can avoid murdering your GSD before 2, they end up amazing dogs after!

Regardless of which you get, feed them quality food. If you get store bought I like Taste Of The Wild, Orijen, and Royal Canin. They aren't cheap but you'll know you aren't feeding your dog Chinese melamine/lead/etc. I, personally prefer to feed my dogs homemade food, usually consisting of rice and a meat (cooked). Some dogs like veggies added in but Pearl and Freyja didn't/don't care for them. The upside of rice/meat is that it's a bit less expensive than store bought premium and you know your dog is getting good food. The downside is it is more labor intensive and might not have all the nutrients that are added to store bought. You can make up for the nutrients by getting quality daily multivitamins. Also, you can make the food less expensively if you can score meat on sale, like when the grocery store puts frozen turkey on closeout after the holidays. I grabbed 5 turkeys from Sam's at $0.58/lb and stocked up after Thanksgiving.

Now for some inspirational pictures of GSD ownership!

Also, remember to put up your good couch and arm chairs.

That said, from my experience with Freyja, the breed has amazing personality and is a very unique ownership experience.

The closest I've come to owning a Lab is a Lab/Great Dane mix our family had. He liked to play the big goofball but, as I mentioned above, he was smart. Smart enough to open doors with lever door handles! He too was an excellent dog. Super lovable, enjoyed playing, and always happy. I think if he were still around, he and Freyja would have gotten along perfectly.
    Up late tonight, one of those fronts moving through I think. A great reply you gave me! My wife is a great lover of animals, after all she got me her big monkey:-). And she wants more than one, a whole pack if possible, lol. I'll have to put my foot down on that idea, bigger dogs I know eat like regular size humans do I believe. Still, want to keep her happy, happy wife happy life. And I love animals too, easy to get attached. Same as people, I'm a bit of a loner but once I have a friend, I'm a friend indeed.

Edit; had to chuckle at your mangled book-death by Puppy, lol. Reminds me of my dog eating a bowl of cough drops and my father's hearing aids one day...

Oh, I also made a post on your beer thread you might appreciate.
    Last edited by Volk; March 14th, 2018 at 07:55.
    Don't like Fascists of any kind, Marxist, Islamist, red white black or brown, they can all take a long walk off a short pier.

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Very sorry, Ryan, about your loss. Only dog owners will truly understand the loss of a canine friend and companion. The love and loyalty that comes from a dog is unconditional, unique and irreplaceable.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MinutemanCO View Post
    Very sorry, Ryan, about your loss. Only dog owners will truly understand the loss of a canine friend and companion. The love and loyalty that comes from a dog is unconditional, unique and irreplaceable.
    Thanks MMCO and you're absolutely right.

Thread Information