Thread: Network Media Tank (Watch your media on your TV)

Thanks

Default Network Media Tank (Watch your media on your TV)

Recently, my Boss came to me and asked if an Iomega Screenplay was any good. I was out of the loop. What the heck was an Iomega Screenplay?

Just like other technologies, someone finally came up with a consumer box. This will become clear in a moment, bear with me. For example, back in 1997 when I first got Cable internet, you had to pay for additional IP addresses if you wanted to use two computers to get to the internet. I said, SCREW YOU MAAAAN!. I found software called SYGATE that could do the job for you and become a router. I set up an old PC with sygate and wife and I both could share the cable. All that was replaced with the routers we can buy for $75 bucks these days.

A few years ago, I built a machine to play movies and such from digital sources on my TV. It was my HTPC(Home theatre PC). I got to use it exactly once. It was big and I wasn't allowed to have a computer sitting next to the TV.

Along comes the Screenplay. I look it up and shazam! I gotta get me one of these! I download movies, old ones specially ALL the time. I watch them on my PC as they are usually AVI/DivX or whatever. Not DVDs. Now there's a 'toaster" that will allow me to play movies right to the TV without converting them to DVD and burning the DVD disc.

Boss bought the screenplay and he loves it. I did more research and found something even better.

The Popcorn Hour A-110.

Not only will this play 1080P(Screenplay HD won't), it plays H.264, container formats like ISOs and pretty much every other format you can think of. It also has a built in TORRENT app! Yes, that right, browse for a torrent, click go and a few hours later, the movie is there on the unit.

I purchased the box with the WN-100 wireless N dongle for so that it will connect directly to my wireless router. You can stream over the wireless if the connection is strong. I'm buying a 1TB Western Digital Green drive. Those don't produce much heat but other drives will work and I can drag/drop anything I want onto the unit.

It probably won't show up for 2-3 weeks since it's shipping from China, but i'll add in a review once it is installed.

Many people have DVRs now...the function missing from the DVR is the ability to play your own media. That's what a Network Media Tank is.

If you've ever torrented a movie, you'll understand how great a NMT is. I can't wait.

Screenplay: http://www.iomega.com/about/prreleas...creenplay.html

Popcorn Hour A-110: http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinesto...id=6&main_id=0

Here's a document that shows the different ones:
    http://www.mpcclub.com/modules/Revie.../NMT-CLASH.pdf
    Last edited by Malsua; February 20th, 2009 at 13:46.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thread Information