Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serenity/FireFly

Thanks

Default Serenity/FireFly

Anyone else get hooked on this Joss Whedon TV Series and/or movie?

I remember when the TV series came out. Since I enjoyed Buffy the Vampire Slayer (created by Whedon), I was curious to see what he would do with a space/western concept. Unfortunately, the series didn't last very long, so I didn't really get much of a feel for it at the time.

However, I was pretty excited to see the movie Serenity that came out last year, and I did get the DVD for Christmas ... and then we just got the DVD collection of all of the episodes that were made (including the ones never shown on TV). Now that I've had the chance to watch them all (in order -- very important), and do a little reading on the background of the concepts, I'm very impressed.

One of the background items that applies, in a way, to this forum, is the idea that the US and China grow to be the only remaining super powers by the time that our earth becomes "used up" and everyone jumps on ships and flies off to settle the conveniently nearby star system. By that time, everyone on earth knows both English and Mandarin ... so, in the shows, while the characters speak English, they will curse and say other short phrases and terms in Mandarin. Also, the environments the characters move through (cities, etc.) are an interesting mix of western and eastern styles. From an entertainment POV, it works pretty well.

Thoughts?

-Bryk

Thanks

Default Re: Serenity/FireFly

That was one that should not have been cancelled. Fox screwed it up with their out of order and varying showtime policy.
    The self reliance and fighting big government themes went over big with me and most people I associate with (friends don't let friends be liberals...haha).

Nick
    Peace through superior firepower

Thanks

I really liked this show and am waiting to see the movie. New shows often have a tough time on Fox. They sometimes dont give a new show a fighting chance, especially on sunday. I was a big fan of Futurama, a show often cut off or pre-empted by football, so it never really got a chance. Sci-Fi channel has been playing Firefly on fridays for a while, although I think its done for now. Maybe I should rent the dvd and watch the entire thing before I see the movie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catfish
    Maybe I should rent the dvd and watch the entire thing before I see the movie.
    I think you can probably do it in either direction. We watched a handful of the episodes when it originally aired on Fox, but those faded from memory ... then went to see the movie in the theatre a few months ago -- then again in our living room after Christmas ... before getting the DVD of the TV series.

The movie was nicely made to allow new folks to quickly get engaged with the characters, while still holding true to the original series (with a few minor nit-picky detail exceptions).

Now that we've gotten through the original episodes, we want to re-watch the movie again ... except that I loaned it out to a friend who is on leave from work due to a new baby. I better find a way to get the movie back soon or I may have an issue with my wife.

-Bryk

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

I had meant to comment on this thread earlier but, almost forgot! LOL!

I first saw Serenity on DVD right before it was officially released. After watching it, I heard it was based off of a canceled TV show called Firefly. I also heard that the first and only season of this show was now available on DVD.

So, about two weeks ago I went out and rented the 4 disc set. Watched all of them in about 3 days since I loved it so much!

Then after watching the entire DVD set, I went out and rented Serenity again. The movie makes a lot more sense after watching the TV series but, I suppose it isn’t mandatory.

I will be buying the movie and the TV series DVD set.

As others have said, it is definitely one show that should not have been canceled! It was well written. It had a lot of plot and character depth. There was a lot of comedy and a lot more action. And as Nick pointed out, I did like the whole fight against big gov't. In fact, in one episode Mal said something to the effect of "Government is good for nothing but getting in the way of free men." Really loved that line and sentiment!

I do hope that it is brought back to the small screen. I'm pretty sure though that there will be at least two other movies as I have heard that the actors were supposedly signed for a big screen trilogy.

As for the small screen, one thing I am speculating on is that with the upcoming merger of WB and UPN into the CW network, they would have a chance to pick up the series. After all, Joss's work is already featured on UPN in one show and his other work had been on both WB and UPN previously. Thus, he already has the ground work laid in contacts and I'm sure the execs would be looking for a big-time show to launch their new joint network.

At least, that is what I hope happens!

Thanks

From what I've been reading, Fox owns the rights to the show ... so if another network wants it, they'd have to pony-up. I did hear a rumor that a very rich man who is a big fan was looking into what it would take to buy those rights, produce another season's worth of 1-hour shows, and syndicate it.

As for the fight-against-the-gov't side of things ... I really like how in the movie they showed that even after fighting in a war, Mal is more just wanting to be free (left alone) than have a chance for a strike against the central government. When the gov't agent says something like "I understand how you must feel toward the alliance" and Mal returns "No ... you really don't."

*That's* the type of writing and character building that hits it out of the park for me.

-Bryk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brykovian
    From what I've been reading, Fox owns the rights to the show ... so if another network wants it, they'd have to pony-up. I did hear a rumor that a very rich man who is a big fan was looking into what it would take to buy those rights, produce another season's worth of 1-hour shows, and syndicate it.
    Well, not only Fox but Universal since they produced the movie.

As for the rich man looking to produce another season, this is the site about his venture - http://www.fireflyseason2.com/

It's not network TV but, at least it would be something if he were to pull it off. I personally think though that either Fox giving it a second go or, CW or Sci-Fi channel picking it up are the most likely options if anything is to work.

Thanks

Just saw the movie and I loved it. Great story, great SFX, and answers to some questions I have had for a long time. The only thing I didnt like were certain characters that died, really bummed me out.

Thanks

The only thing I didnt like were certain characters that died, really bummed me out.
    +1

Thanks

Just saw the movie and I loved it. Great story, great SFX, and answers to some questions I have had for a long time. The only thing I didnt like were certain characters that died, really bummed me out.
    I am a leaf on the wind.

Nick
    Peace through superior firepower

Thanks

For anyone that is interested, Adelphia cable is playing Serenity on the Cinemax OnDemand channel from July 20-August 16.

If you get Adelphia with OnDemand, it might be a good idea to give it a watching as they do keep track of, and report to Hollywood execs, which movies are most popular in the OnDemand rotation.

Also, it will be showing on the regular Cinemax channels for those who don't get OnDemand. Just check their schedule here.

I just got done watching it again myself!

Thanks

Heads up!

Right now SciFi channel is playing a Firefly marathon from 8:00am-6:00pm ET!

Thanks

Serenity Sequel Squashed
    Whedon says it ain't gonna happen.

By Paul Davidson
    October 5, 2006

In spite of a groundswell of grassroots support amongst its fans, Serenity has failed to revive the science fiction-western Firefly franchise. Even with DVD sales, the movie reportedly failed to recoup its $40 million budget. And as anyone who's seen the film knows, the exit of certain characters and the resolution of key storylines makes it difficult — or impossible — to recapture the chemistry of the excellent-but-short-lived series.

Joss Whedon himself, creator of both the TV show and the movie, broke the news to the Whedonesque.com website. He says, "There's no sequel, no secret project regarding Serenity or some such and I'm not even sure how anyone thought there was talk there."

"I've seen [Firefly actors] Nathan and Tim (and Summer and Alan) recently because they're my friends because I'm so, yeah, awesome. So let's put that to bed and smother it with a pillow."

And so it ends for Firefly. The Browncoats have fought, and Serenity flown, for the last time.

Thanks

That's simply too bad.

But I'm getting used to it ... same thing happened to Sports Night.

-Bryk

Thanks

Firefly Reborn as Online Universe
    Like Capt. Mal Reynolds stumbling in after a bar fight, the short-lived but much beloved sci-fi series Firefly will soon make an unexpected return, not as a TV show, but as a massively multiplayer online game.

Now that's shiny.

Multiverse, maker of a free MMO-creation platform, plans to announce Friday morning that it's struck a deal with Fox Licensing to turn the show into an MMORPG in the fashion of Star Wars Galaxies or Eve Online.

The "Browncoats," as Firefly's most devoted fans are known, have been campaigning to bring the show back almost since the moment it was canceled in late 2002. Now they'll get their wish, albeit in a new form.

"We see virtual worlds as an extraordinarily promising new entertainment medium," said Adam Kline, Fox Licensing's vice president of media enterprises in an e-mail. "We believe Multiverse can deliver an experience that will remain true to the original series, while enabling a whole new level of personal involvement for fans."

Canceled in the United States after only 11 episodes, Firefly has become the Star Trek of 21st-century sci-fi fandom: a show that seemed to remake the genre even as it stayed faithful to the conventions of "hard" science fiction, like engine room problems and menacing hordes lurking on the edge of known space.

What made the show special was the wry, often self-deprecating humor of its characters, from the captain with the checkered past to the unwittingly sexy engineer, the dull hunk of a mercenary with a girl's name, and the mysterious young woman passenger with special gifts.

The online version will move away from those central characters -- after all, there's only one Mal Reynolds. In an MMORPG, "everybody has to have their own story," says Multiverse co-founder and executive producer Corey Bridges.

"Television series can be really good properties to turn into MMOs, because when you make a TV series, not only do you need great characters, but you need to create a full, rich, compelling place," Bridges says. "If you're doing science fiction, you have to really think it out and create an incredibly rich environment that is compelling in its own right, and worth exploring and going back to week after week. That's what Joss Whedon did with Firefly."

The universe of Firefly and its spinoff film, Serenity, featured everything from Old West-style towns to futuristic urban environments, gritty spaceships and pastoral retreats -- freedom fighters, oppressive government agents, smugglers, outlaws, mercenaries, trader, townsfolk, futuristic geishas and a race of corrupted humans known as the Reavers.

Bringing those environments and character types to life as an online game will be a challenge: Multiverse is not a game developer, but rather a platform provider whose product is still in beta. Instead of making the game itself, the company will hire a development team that will craft the virtual galaxy using Multiverse tools.

"We want to find someone who wants to do something unique and fun and interesting, not just a re-skin of World of Warcraft or Star Wars Galaxies," Bridges says.

Because the underlying technology is already in place, "I feel confident that we'll see something the public can play sometime in 2008," he adds.

Founded by several early Netscape employees, Multiverse hopes to do for virtual worlds what Netscape did for web pages: provide a universal browser that lets users access any world built on the Multiverse platform using the same client software.

Already, some 7,000 development teams have registered for the Multiverse beta, according to Bridges, and more than 150 are making MMOs and non-game virtual worlds on a full-time basis. The tools are provided for free, with Multiverse taking a cut of revenue only if developers charge for their games, or for virtual items available within their worlds.

Landing Firefly on the Multiverse platform would seem to be a sure-fire promotional move. But satisfying the show's committed fans will not be easy. Online communities like FireflyFans.net, the show's premier fan site, have generated an endless stream of fan fiction, art, blogs, pod casts, meet-ups and even a fan-produced documentary, Done the Impossible, which briefly broke into the top 1,000 in DVD sales on Amazon.com.

The announcement comes just in time for this weekend's second annual gathering of Firefly fans at the Hilton hotel in Burbank, California. The "Flanvention" has already sold out, with 500 prepaid attendees signed up.

Bridges shrugs off the pressure; he just wants to make "something worthy of the show," he says. "This all springs from the genius that is Joss Whedon. It's rewarding beyond words to be able to hopefully be a footnote in the history of Firefly."
    Maybe us TAA-ers will have to join this game and start our own group…

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

I really haven't watched much TV for the last 30 yrs or so - I have no idea what some folks are talking about when they discuss shows.

Right now I'm following BSG - friends and family are shocked because I've never followed a show before.

Last week, at the urging of a friend, I rented Volume 1 of the Serenity Series.

HOLY COW!

I finished the first CD that very night, and went back the next day and rented the other 3.

I thought the character development and interaction between characters was outstanding.

Sheppard Book - too bad they weren't able to tell us some of his secrets.

Kaylee - my kinda lady.

One annoying thing was if you turned on the subtitles to see if the Chinese lingo was translated, all it said was [Chinese speaking]. Small item.

Man, I am truly hooked. Guess I should say was hooked - really sad the series didn't continue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
    Kaylee - my kinda lady.
    +1

< Jayne > "I could stand to hear a little more!" < /Jayne>

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Haha!

Thanks

My favorite Jayne quote: "Yeah ... and if wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak!"

btw, my wife got me the #1 issue of the Serenity "graphic novel" (yeah, it's a comic book) series. It's a nice (if too quick of a) read ... nice to revisit those characters. The graphic novels are supposed to cover the ground between when the TV series ended and the timeframe of the movie.

-Bryk

Thanks

Serenity Named Top Sci-Fi Movie
    Space thriller Serenity has beaten Star Wars to the title of best sci-fi movie in an SFX magazine poll of 3,000 fans.

The futuristic release from 2005 was based on the short-lived TV series Firefly. Both were the work of Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon.

Star Wars - which Whedon has conceded had "an enormous influence" on Serenity - came second in the survey.

Blade Runner was third, followed by Planet of the Apes, The Matrix, Alien and Forbidden Planet.

Serenity is about the crew of a space ship of the same name, and at the time of its release, Whedon declared it was a way of showcasing the "gritty" side of the genre.

"There's something in science fiction, which I love very much, that I've missed of late - which is a sort of grittiness, the reality of what it must be like to be up in a small community or a small ship," Whedon told the BBC in 2005.

"I had a perfectly disparate set of elements.

"I had people who were actual size in a story that was larger than life, and I think when you put those two elements together you get the most exciting kind of film-making."

SFX editor Dave Bradley said it was a "massive surprise" to see Serenity beating Star Wars.

"The TV show may have been cancelled, yet the Serenity universe clearly struck a chord with fans, thanks to its likeable characters, witty dialogue and amazing special effects."

Thread Information