Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serenity/FireFly

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Serenity/FireFly

SciFi channel is showing a Firefly marathon right now.

I have no idea how far into it it is as they seem to be showing the episodes out of order (just watched Our Mrs. Reynolds and now Ariel is on).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    A possibility that this might not be the case?!?!

Serenity 2 May Happen
    Serenity was a massive flop in theaters, but could big DVD sales for the box office bombed film be enough to resurrect the franchise? Alan Tudyk thinks so and he's excited about it, even if his character is dead.

According to the guys over at Moviehole, Tudyk told them that a sequel could be happening. Alan says, "They had to put [the new DVD] out because they've been selling out of the other one and so Universal's like 'So, let's do another one'. And now… there's now a chance there's going to be another movie." That's great news if you're a Browncoat or, like me, a sensible person who simply loves a great science fiction movie.

What's more, the way Tudyk talks it sounds like the entire cast would be more than willing to come back. That includes Nathan Fillion, the crew's intrepid Captain Tightpants. Except the question isn't so much about whether the cast will be back, but where we'll be watching them.

With the film's box office numbers as bad as they were, it might make sense for the studio to push a sequel out the door as a direct-to-DVD sequel. If you're a fan of Serenity you'll probably be happy to have the crew back in just about any form, I just hope if it comes to that it doesn't end up a low budget feature that sacrificed quality in the name of saving a buck. Come on, that's usually what happens with these things. On the other hand, Serenity started out as a TV series called Firefly. If franchise creator Joss Whedon can make it work inside a TV budget, he should have no problem doing it on a direct-to-DVD one.

Meanwhile, those of you starved for more from the Serenity's crew can catch Alan Tudyk hitting Luke Wilson with a shovel in 3:10 to Yuma. He's also in the hilarious comedy Death at a Funeral. It's starting to look like Tudyk, not leading man Nathan Fillion will be Serenity's breakout star.
    If they do a sequel and even if it is straight-to-DVD, so long as it remains true to the original and Joss Whedon is behind it it would be AWESOME!

Thanks

If they do a sequel and even if it is straight-to-DVD, so long as it remains true to the original and Joss Whedon is behind it it would be AWESOME!
    I completely agree ... we would buy it without question.

I hope it goes there.

-Bryk

Thanks

For anyone interested or who hasn't seen the Firefly series yet, you can watch all the episodes legally and for free at Hulu - http://www.hulu.com/firefly

Thanks

One of the best shows in recent memory, I was totally bummed out when this was cancelled. We can always hope for a 2nd movie to come out.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

I bought the entire season a while back, and just watched it over the course of 3 days.

Man, that is the best entertainment-type thing I've seen on TV.

Weird deal for me because as I said about 2 years ago, I'm pretty much TV-illiterate.

Sci-Fi really screwed the pooch when they CX'd that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backstop View Post

Sci-Fi really screwed the pooch when they CX'd that.
    I feel the same way about Farscape. That was a fun show. Granted, they were probably running out of plot ideas, but it was fun while it lasted.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    I feel the same way about Farscape. That was a fun show. Granted, they were probably running out of plot ideas, but it was fun while it lasted.
    My sister and BIL were HUGE Farscape fans.

Haven't seen any of it that I can remember, but if it ever comes back on, I have plans to check it out.

Thanks

Farscape was FAR OUT.
    lol

Aeryn Sun wore a hot outfit.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Aeryn Sun wore a hot outfit.

MMMMMMMM Claudia Black

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Firefly Takes Flight Again With Browncoats: Redemption
    Sadly, Joss Whedon’s stellar sci-fi western Firefly remains grounded for now. But Trekkie-like die-hard fans called Browncoats are nevertheless taking flight with their own film Browncoats: Redemption. It hits the convention circuit starting with New England’s Granite-Con on May 23.

Browncoats: Redemption was made by the fans for the fans,” director Michael Dougherty explained to Wired.com by e-mail. “But we view this as an independent film; we had Firefly fans travel from all over the U.S. to volunteer their time as extras and other supportive roles in its production. Without them, this film would not exist, and it will only be successful with their continued help and support.”

Browncoats picks up the story on Miranda, three months after the events of Whedon’s film Serenity, with fans volunteering as cast and crew. It’s not a documentary of Firefly, but meant to be a sci-fi feature on its own based on the world Whedon created.

The support has ramped up as Dougherty and his crowdsourced crew of indie Whedonites labored to keep Firefly’s fan-driven foray into feature-film in orbit.

The film will be officially released at Dragon-Con in September, but it will pop up at Granite-Con and Comic-Con before that. Teasing Browncoats: Redemption’s progress are unveilings of trailers and behind-the-scenes sneak peeks.

“We’re in the final stages of editing a completed rough cut that puts the film’s run time at 84 minutes,” said Dougherty. “There are a few scene tweaks, additional dialog recording and CGI finalizing left to do. But we believe we’ve created a strong film with high production values that will also allow it to stand independently.”

Like Star Trek before it, Firefly was a terribly underrated sci-fi franchise that endured years of worse programming before its fans took matters into their own hands. Unfortunately, these fan-film flurries are as close as fans will get to the good ship Serenity, at least until Joss Whedon pursues a probably inevitable sequel or prequel of some sort.

But unlike Gene Roddenberry’s humanistic classic, Firefly fandom is not just funding its own feature film, but also giving much of that labor of love’s proceeds back to the public.

“Browncoats: Redemption is a charity project,” Dougherty explained, “created to raise funds for five charities through our love of the Firefly/Serenity universe. We’ll also be supporting the annual Can’t Stop the Serenity charity screenings, where we’ll be sharing the first 12 minutes of our film. We feel that the highest quality film we can make will do the greatest amount of good for the charities we support, and perhaps even allow us to reach new Browncoats.”

That shouldn’t be too hard, with or without the help of Browncoats: Redemption. Whedon’s Firefly is a timeless merge of mashed genres, interstellar action and pervasive humor. It’s arguably more compelling than Whedon’s other programming like Dollhouse, and maybe the forthcoming Avengers film, unless he’s allowed to stretch out by the suits.

“There’s much hope, provided that he’s given the creative freedom to move,” Dougherty said. “I’m even more hopeful since it’s been said that Whedon may be rewriting it. He’s had a great relationship with Marvel and a successful history writing and directing for ensembles.”

Firefly faithful are also looking forward to Whedon’s peripheral projects. He’s producing and co-writing the horror-comedy The Cabin in the Woods and working on a documentary about San Diego’s fangasmic Comic-Con.

Fans are also geeked on Patton Oswalt, who wrote the comic Serenity: Float Out, due June 2 from Dark Horse. It’s all good in the Whedonverse.

“We haven’t seen Whedon do a documentary yet, and I can’t wait to see his take on horror,” Dougherty said. “I hope another Dr. Horrible comes out, but I wouldn’t be terribly upset if it didn’t. But Whedon is one of those artists that, no matter what medium he pursues, people will follow him to see his take.”

From its dusty sets to its charitable heart, Firefly fan film Browncoats: Redemption is a labor of love.

Thanks

Anyone catch tonight's episode of Castle? Nathan Fillion threw out a nice Easter Egg to the Firefly fans watching.

Thanks

Nope, didn't see it.

What kinda egg?

Thanks

*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

The scene where Beckett and Castle go into the food packaging plant. The two Chinese guys are standing there, Beckett asks them if they've seen another Chinese guy in a photo, the Chinese guys just stand there, Castle starts speaking Chinese and says, "My partner is crazy and could start shooting anytime". They guys point a direction and run off. Beckett then asks Castle something like, "Where did you learn Chinese? Class or something?" He comes back, "No, old TV show I used to love."

There have been a couple others... Last year's Halloween episode he was dressed as a "space cowboy" which just so happened to look just like Malcolm Reynolds, one episode (I forget which one) he makes a reference to "I was aiming for his head" like Jayne in the one Firefly ep, and another he is putting on some blue medical gloves and then does a #2 with his fingers on each hand as a reference to "2 by 2, hands of blue."

You can tell, he really loved Firefly and must think a lot of the fans to constantly throw them fun bones like that.

Thanks

You know, I've watched Firefly countless times and never caught this. Too funny!

Han Solo's in Firefly?!
    January 11, 2011

I've been spending more time than usual looking up obscure references for all the nooks and crannies of Serenity. In one of my many prop searches in the very late (um, early) hours when my eyes were drooping, I thought I saw Han Solo and Firefly in the same sentence. That's actually not so uncommon since Captain Malcom Reynolds is like Solo in more than a few ways. I blinked. No, the website said Han Solo in Carbonite and Firefly in the same sentence.

Huh?

As it turns out, a Han Solo in Carbonite was brought on set since Nathan Fillion is such a huge Star Wars fan. The props team joked around and added it to sets whenever they could, it apparently became a running joke. It didn't get grabbed out of every scene before shooting though.

Heart of Gold
    - look just above Mal's left shoulder

Jaynestown - look just to the right of the bartender's head

Objects in Space - look to the left of Book on the counter

The Message - look above Kaylee's hammock on the top right

Serenity - look on Badger's shelf (it looks a bit dusty) - spotted by reader smitsc05

There's a rumor that there's one hidden in every episode, but these are the only ones I could dig up. It makes me extraordinarily happy to know about this hidden gem in the Firefly 'verse.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peterle Matteo View Post
    Any idea why???

As it turns out, a Han Solo in Carbonite was brought on set since Nathan Fillion is such a huge Star Wars fan.

Thanks

Wow, that desk is bad ass!

Thanks

Since I did not see Browncoats in 2010 maybe 2011 will be the year! Serenity/Firefly was one of my faves in the sci-fi genre. One of the odd channels on Direct TV ran the complete Firefly season back to back last week. Unfortunately it was not in HD.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Earlier Tuesday I was in a gas station getting a pop. Heard someone quip to a guy next to me getting coffee, "I told you not to wear that hat. That's a girl's hat."

The guy with the hat said, "No it isn't. I like it!"

I look and the guy is wearing one of those beanie hats with ear flaps, a la the famous Jayne hat but with different colors and slightly different styling. I couldn't help myself and said, "You know, a man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

He laughed but I knew he didn't know the reference.

By the way, anyone catch the Firefly reference in the last Castle? Shiny!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Wow, that desk is bad ass!
    What? No Obama in Carbonite?

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information