Thread: Paper suggests NATO fighter jets may be based at Russian border

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Default Paper suggests NATO fighter jets may be based at Russian border

Paper suggests NATO fighter jets may be based at Russian border

25 March, 2009, 13:15

A high-ranking officer of the US Air Force says NATO should move F-16s now stationed at the Aviano Air Base in Italy to Poland.

Lt. Col. Chris Sage, assistant executive officer to the Air Force Chief of Staff penned his opinion in a paper called “Transforming United States Air Forces in Europe and Empowering Poland.” It was published in the spring edition of Air & Space Power Journal.

"It is in the national interest of the United States to continue to transform USAFE by relocating U.S. F-16s currently in Italy to new bases in Poland," Sage argues. The Italian base lacks training opportunities, especially with live munitions, and has logistical problems due to the construction development in the region where Aviano is located. There is also growing disapproval of US foreign policy in some parts of Italian society.

Poland, on the other hand, is an eager new friend of the US, which supports American initiatives in Afghanistan and Iraq, and agreed to host elements of the antimissile defence system. Poland has less strict airspace regulations and ready air-to-ground training ranges.

Read more

In 2001, the country has also bought 48 F-16s from the US "thus ensuring hardware commonality, heightened interoperability, and in-depth training in US tactics and operational warfare." By hosting a US air base, Poland would accelerate training for its own pilots.

Sage admits the plan is ambitious both in terms of cost and political considerations. The price tag for relocating Aviano personnel and equipment to Poland would be higher than the $1 billion allocated for the expansion of the Italian base. The new location will have logistical challenges of its own and people will see their living standards decreased after the move.

The relocation would also cause resistance from some groups in Poland, where there is no consensus, for example, over hosting the antimissile shield. And Russia is bound to object to having a US air base in the state bordering its enclave in the Kaliningrad region.

Academic paper
    When asked about Sage’s proposals by Star and Stripes magazine, USAF in Europe and Brig. Gen. Craig Franklin, commander of the 31st Fighter Wing at Aviano, noted that is was an "academic paper," and declined to comment further.

Officials at the Polish Ministry of Defence did not answer to a query.
    The 31st FW at Aviano Air Base includes a maintenance group, a mission support group, a medical group and an operations group consisting of two fighter squadrons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Swedish viking
    Thanks

Default Re: Paper suggests NATO fighter jets may be based at Russian border

I just cant figure out why they want it in poland. I could see why poland would want to have it there, they think they will get the US backup if anyone tries anything stupid. But i mean, it would also mean that if the N-day comes, Poland will be gone before the US...
    So why?

(The biggest question should be why everybody is gearing up and preparing for the worst.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I am a weakish speller View Post

(The biggest question should be why everybody is gearing up and preparing for the worst.)
    It's called the "Expect the worst, hope for the best" philosophy.
    Libertatem Prius!

Swedish viking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    It's called the "Expect the worst, hope for the best" philosophy.
    You mean, prepare for the worst, hope for the best? (Got my packed bag standing in the closet at all times)
    And yes, i know. What i meant was that if no one takes the first step against a world peace by removing all weapons (Not police and licensed ofc), then we will never have world peace.

The thing is, i have a feeling people all over the world wants world peace, but no one wants there to be a land that have weapons when everybody else have gotten rid of them. So as long as humans have this: "if he don't, then i wont" -style we are better off prepared then just hoping.

Thread Information