Thread: Former astronaut: Man not alone in universe

Thanks

Default Former astronaut: Man not alone in universe

April 20, 2009 -- Updated 2041 GMT (0441 HKT)

(CNN) -- Earth Day may fall later this week, but as far as former NASA astronaut Edgar Mitchell and other UFO enthusiasts are concerned, the real story is happening elsewhere.

Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, shown after his Apollo mission in 1971, claims there "is no doubt we are being visited."

Mitchell, who was part of the 1971 Apollo 14 moon mission, asserted Monday that extraterrestrial life exists, and that the truth is being concealed by the U.S. and other governments.

He delivered his remarks during an appearance at the National Press Club following the conclusion of the fifth annual X-Conference, a meeting of UFO activists and researchers studying the possibility of alien life forms.

Mankind has long wondered if we're "alone in the universe. [But] only in our period do we really have evidence. No, we're not alone," Mitchell said.

"Our destiny, in my opinion, and we might as well get started with it, is [to] become a part of the planetary community. ... We should be ready to reach out beyond our planet and beyond our solar system to find out what is really going on out there."

Mitchell grew up in Roswell, New Mexico, which some UFO believers maintain was the site of a UFO crash in 1947. He said residents of his hometown "had been hushed and told not to talk about their experience by military authorities." They had been warned of "dire consequences" if they did so.
    Don't Miss

But, he claimed, they "didn't want to go to the grave with their story. They wanted to tell somebody reliable. And being a local boy and having been to the moon, they considered me reliable enough to whisper in my ear their particular story."

Roughly 10 years ago, Mitchell claimed, he was finally given an appointment at Pentagon to discuss what he had been told.

An unnamed admiral working for the Joint Chiefs of Staff promised to uncover the truth behind the Roswell story, Mitchell said. The stories of a UFO crash "were confirmed," but the admiral was then denied access when he "tried to get into the inner workings of that process."

The same admiral, Mitchell claimed, now denies the story.

"I urge those who are doubtful: Read the books, read the lore, start to understand what has really been going on. Because there really is no doubt we are being visited," he said.

"The universe that we live in is much more wondrous, exciting, complex and far-reaching than we were ever able to know up to this point in time."
    A NASA spokesman denied any cover-up.

"NASA does not track UFOs. NASA is not involved in any sort of cover-up about alien life on this planet or anywhere else -- period," Michael Cabbage said Monday.

Debates have continued about what happened at Roswell. The U.S. Air Force said in 1994 that wreckage recovered there in 1947 was most likely from a balloon-launched classified government project.

Stephen Bassett, head of the Paradigm Research Group (PRG), which hosted the X-Conference, said that the truth about extraterrestrial life is being suppressed because it is politically explosive.

"There is a third rail [in American politics], and that is the UFO question. It is many magnitudes more radioactive than Social Security ever dreamed to be," Bassett said.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Former astronaut: Man not alone in universe

It certainly would make life more interesting if we were not alone.

Of course, they could simply be time travelers...we have seen the ufo man and he is us.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Honestly, you think so Mal?

/grin

Time travel, I predict, will not be quite as difficult as everything else predicts.

And - I don't need to be an astronaut to know "we are not alone".
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I wold honestly be extremely surprised and disappointed if we were to find out we're totally alone. Amidst the vastenss of the universe, the trillions of potentially habitable solar systems.... we're it? That's all? It's a dead universe?

I highly doubt it.

Thanks

Everything has its opposite. Nature demands it. Therefore there MUST be intelligent life out there somewhere. (Because mankind doesn't quite cut it.)

Thanks

I have always admired the 12 humans that have visited the moon. Hell, for that matter most all of the folks that are astronauts are a special bunch. I would have hoped that by now the "private sector" would have had more influence in space exploration, but I also understand the HUGE amount of money involved in this endeavor.

I can't believe that any one would think that we would be the only life form in this universe. I can not think of a good reason to withhold information about life elsewhere. I believe several lunar explorers have compared their time on the lunar surface as a near religous experience, although I can not remember exactly which ones.

If I remember correctly, Alan Cooper also believed we were not alone.

One thing I have never understood is why Neil Armstrong isn't more vocal about his experience on the lunar surface. That would be an interview for Discovery, Science and History Channels!

We humans are a strange lot.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I have always admired the 12 humans that have visited the moon. Hell, for that matter most all of the folks that are astronauts are a special bunch. I would have hoped that by now the "private sector" would have had more influence in space exploration, but I also understand the HUGE amount of money involved in this endeavor.

I can't believe that any one would think that we would be the only life form in this universe. I can not think of a good reason to withhold information about life elsewhere. I believe several lunar explorers have compared their time on the lunar surface as a near religous experience, although I can not remember exactly which ones.

If I remember correctly, Alan Cooper also believed we were not alone.

One thing I have never understood is why Neil Armstrong isn't more vocal about his experience on the lunar surface. That would be an interview for Discovery, Science and History Channels!

We humans are a strange lot.
    I believe you mean either "Alan Sheppard" or "Gordon Cooper". I'm pretty sure you're talking about Gordon Cooper.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I've met several astronauts including Dale Gardener, Joe Engle, john Glenn, Judy Resnik and Ron McNair.

I also knew Jim Irwin, semi-personally. I knew him from a religious organization (High Flight) he formed many years back and met him several times. He passed away a year or so after I got to know him. His moon suit used to sit in the old Colorado Springs Airport terminal (since closed).

Colonel Irwin was a man of strong faith - and led several (two or three?) attempts to get to Mt. Arrarat to find Noah's Ark.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

According to what I understand, he was always a rather private person and going to the moon was somewhat more than he expected. But who knows?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information