Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital book readers - Kindle, BeBook, etc - Opinions please

Thanks

Default Re: Digital book readers - Kindle, BeBook, etc - Opinions please

From my point of view, I'm still not satisfied with or in need of any of them badly enough to accept the compromises each requires. For instance, if the BeBook were ethernet accessible it would be my choice. If Amazon didn't try to control every aspect of use after purchase, I'd settle for it. Others are just too high in price,and frankly, I can still see well enough to refuse to purchase til I'm happy with the product. I do wish something like this were available somewhere back in time before I filled half my storage space with real books, the storage capacity is one of the features I really like in pretty much all of the offerings. All in all, I'm sticking with my plan, let's see what they roll out for the Christmas season.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTStringer View Post
    From my point of view, I'm still not satisfied with or in need of any of them badly enough to accept the compromises each requires. For instance, if the BeBook were ethernet accessible it would be my choice. If Amazon didn't try to control every aspect of use after purchase, I'd settle for it. Others are just too high in price,and frankly, I can still see well enough to refuse to purchase til I'm happy with the product. I do wish something like this were available somewhere back in time before I filled half my storage space with real books, the storage capacity is one of the features I really like in pretty much all of the offerings. All in all, I'm sticking with my plan, let's see what they roll out for the Christmas season.
    the BeBook, Version 2 is coming out sometime shortly, probably by the end of August or mid September.

it will have both G3 network capabilities as well as wifi.

I have all but ruled out Amazon's Kindle based on the fact I don't like people limiting me on my ability to read a book in some special format.

For the same reason, I have ruled out Sony.

That leaves any number of others. New ones will be coming on the market this year in time for Christmas, including a color ereader by Fujita I believe. The cost, however, is like 900 bucks.

I've been digging pretty deeply in this. It looks as if the BeBook version 2 is what I am going for.

Baring that, I'll spend the money on myself and get an Iliad version 2 (not the book version, it's cheaper of course, but no connections, etc).

The BeBook is proving (if it comes out and isn't vaporware) a viable alternative to the Kindle in Europe - and by golly, I'm planning some travel over the next few years OUT of the US. Therefore I want the capability to connect where ever I go to download what I want.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I haven't ben following this thread and have no knowledge of digital readers- never even seen one. However- I noticed from the beginning there was considerable input, and though I as many prefer the old fashion book method- I thought of two features that one of these gadgets might have which would make it useful....at a low price of course.

So my 50 dollar question (codo) is do any of these gadgets have built in dictionaries?
    I have never accustomed myself to the yellow marker/mark a text/ form of reading, but since college days- I have often penned a mark, and sometimes later a definition when comprehension was difficult by context or I wanted to understand a word.

This feature would be more useful for me as I often read in a foreign language, and most useful for a young student with poor vocabulary skills.

Damn! I hate to get verbose, but I used to have a hell of a book collection. Including a full size 2nd edition Websters Intl. Grrrrr!

Thanks. I'll be lookin forward to any input on whatever these gizmos are. Interested in - lively gibabyte packed classics- multilingual dictionary- granny glasses- aumented vision.

anybody remember granny from laugh-in?

This could be the greatest thread ever! It cooincides with one of my life themes...

FUCK SCHOOL
    Imagine that. ... sneaky little rat. What evil minded man could cause your mind to be suspicious.
    name that song________ hint Rogers and Hammerstein.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Rick, sorry, didn't read back far enough, missed your post on the next generation BeBook. Sounds like a definite step in the right direction. Added to their already considerable list of features, BeBook V2 sounds like a clear winner to me, barring a drastic increase in price.

Thanks

Sami, yes, several of them do indeed have the ability to do word lookups. Notably among them so far the Kindle (can't use it outside of the US though... 3G network by sprint) and the Sony (not sure of it's export status).

I don't recall off hand if the others have similar capabilities, but I am pretty sure they do
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

BeBook 2 Confirmed, and It Could Be Big

http://chamberfour.com/2009/02/28/be...-could-be-big/

by Nico Vreeland, on February 28th, 2009
    BeBook Classic

From ubergizmo, here’s the official announcement of the BeBook 2 at Endless Ideas BV’s website. If everything promised comes true, it could be leaps and bounds better than BeBook 1, and it’s even got a shot of being the best ereader out there. It’s slated to have “Wireless 3G and/or WIFI,” a touchscreen, ePub DRM, and to be ready before the summer.

The original BeBook had decent advantages (robust support, open platform, customer commitment) and significant disadvantages (cheap feel, clunky interface, no onboard clock). However, the original BeBook was just a rebranded HanLin V3, and a lot of those disadvantages could be attributed to the HanLin.

Endless Ideas (EI) has all the hallmarks of a company that thinks of its customers first. They don’t try to suck you dry with extended warranties like Sony, or by charging extra for a cover like Amazon. They answer questions promptly, they have an uncensored support forum, and they listen to customers and provide regular firmware updates with new features. Plus, BeBook 2 is touted as “a complete redesign.” Seeing as we haven’t seen anything that EI’s actually designed, this could be, well, anything.
    Basically, the new BeBook has a whole lot of potential. Here are some things I’ll be watching out for:

• Interface/design: That first video will be huge. It’ll show us whether BeBook Classic’s interface problems were the fault of the HanLin hardware or the EI firmware. As far as design, we have no idea what EI’s aesthetic looks like, so BeBook 2’s physicality is a complete x-factor. The good news is that that first look should only be a few weeks away.

• Free 3G?: I’m guessing not, given that “and/or” in the wireless description. If it is free, this feature will be the real Kindle-killer. Even if it’s not, I’ll be fine with regular wi-fi, and I’d guess that the “and/or” also means regular wi-fi will be standard.

• Price: Hopefully, EI learned their lesson when the original BeBook got slammed for debuting north of $500. With a good interface, I would happily pay up to $400. If it’s above $500, look for BeBook to remain a third-tier ereader retailer (at least in the U.S.).

• Mobipocket, too, or just ePub?: EI claims to be working on secure ePub support. Mobipocket insists on DRM exclusivity. If they bump secure Mobi for secure ePub, I’m out: there aren’t any ePub library books. If, however, they manage to do them both, strike another blow for open ereading.

Finally, I must say, I do feel a bit stung that I just got a BeBook 1, but we’ll see what Endless Ideas has to say about a trade-in.
    [via Ubergizmo]
    UPDATE: Looks like I’m SOL. Endless Ideas will not accept any returns because you don’t like the BeBook, even if (as in my case), you’ve had it less than a week.
    That makes it really hard to recommend buying any BeBook, since it’s difficult to get a true feel for the device from a video.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

eReader Comparison

If you’re thinking of buying a dedicated ebook reader, or ereader, this comparison guide is intended to help you narrow the field of ereaders according to your specific needs, and help you find links to other resources. This guide is not an exhaustive hardware comparison, but you can find a great one of those here. Update: We now have a guide to iPhone reader apps as well. Skip to it here.
    Introduction

[Skip to guide]
    Currently (and sadly), there’s no perfect ereader. There isn’t even one that stands head and shoulders above the others. However, certain ereaders are better suited to certain needs.
    This list is divided between interactive ereaders and casual ereaders, with a third section listing the ereader apps on non-dedicated iPhone and iPod Touch devices. We’ve listed only devices currently available, so no Plastic Logic or BeBook 2 until they actually come out and give firm specs and price points. Also, we’ve listed primarily devices available in the U.S. so no FLEPia or Brother.
    Interactive ereaders have the ability to search within books, highlight and take notes. However, they’re all more expensive than almost all casual ereaders, and all have tradeoffs. And none of them satisfactorily interacts with ebooks the way you can with paper books and a pen (though the iRex is the closest).
    Casual ereaders have no keyboard, and so cannot search within books, or take notes. If you don’t need to do those things, a casual ereader is most likely best for you.
    iPhone/iPod Touch ereader apps are exactly that. Some people enjoy reading on mobile devices regularly, for others it is a handy way to have quick access to ebooks in short bursts, say while commuting or in a waiting room. We recommend you try a dedicated ereader, as you will love the electronic paper display. But if you’ve got an iPhone or iPod touch, you might as well download one of these so you always have reading in your pocket.
    Note: We’re still refining this page. If you have comments or questions about this page, or if you want to relate an experience about any ereader on it (or not on it), please let us know. We’ll be updating this page as much as possible.
    Also: Check out our book reviews or our Great Reads to find books for your new ereader. Subscribe to Chamber Four and get books reviews and ereader news every day.

INTERACTIVE EREADERS

Amazon Kindle 2.0
    Amazon Kindle DX
    Sony Reader PRS-700
    iRex 1000s

Looking for some good books? Check out our book reviews or our Great Reads to find books for your new ereader. Subscribe to Chamber Four and get books reviews and ereader news every day.

CASUAL EREADERS

Sony Reader PRS-505
    BeBook
    Bookeen CyBook
    Foxit eSlick
    Astak EZ Reader

iPHONE/iPOD TOUCH EREADER APPS

Stanza
    eReader
    Classics
    Amazon Kindle app
    Bookz
    Bookshelf
    Appbooks (such as TouchBooks Reader and Iceberg Reader)

INTERACTIVE EREADERS

Amazon Kindle 2, $359

Best ereader for: Those who primarily read blogs, newspapers, and magazines (and don’t mind paying for ease-of-use and thoroughness).
    Not good for: Those who primarily read books.
    DRM content supported: Amazon-proprietary only. (Library books not supported.)
    Quick summary: The Kindle is the only current ereader with wireless everywhere. This works very well for magazines and newspapers (disposable content). As for books that you might want to keep, however, you can only download them DRM-crippled and proprietary from Amazon’s store. It’s a closed system: you can’t buy books for the Kindle on any site besides Amazon, and you can’t read Amazon ebooks on any device but a Kindle. Bottom line: The Kindle is not for you if you plan to build a library of ebooks to keep.
    Also, most other ereaders support RSS downloads of blogs and newspapers with either Calibre or Mobipocket Reader. It requires you to plug your reader in every morning (and it’s not as thorough as Kindle’s RSS), but it’s almost entirely free.
    Links: A comparison of the Kindle and the Sony Reader; how the Kindle 2.0 advanced from the original Kindle; our entire archive of Kindle-related posts; the Kindle page on Amazon.
    Amazon Kindle DX, $489

Best ereader for: Wealthy textbook or PDF readers.
    Not good for: Casual book readers.
    DRM content supported: Amazon-proprietary only. (Library books not supported.)
    Quick summary: The Kindle DX is the big brother of the Kindle 2.0. With a 9.7″ screen and native PDF support, it’s designed to be used by students and businesspeople for etextbooks and PDFs. However, it still doesn’t have a touchscreen, which makes the highlighting process kludgy at best. In fact, other than the screen, the DX’s specs are very similar to the Kindle 2.0’s, and its downsides are very similar as well.
    DX still doesn’t have folders, still can’t read any DRMed file you don’t get from Amazon, and is even more expensive than most casual ereaders. Amazon’s Whispersyncing annotation feature, called “Clippings,” is promising (although, it might have a secret limit), and, indeed, the DX is the first step toward a revolution in textbooks. However, it’s hard to recommend in its current state.
    Links: A thorough review of the DX at TeleRead; a video of the kludgy highlighting process; a comparison of the DX and the iRex; an explanation of the mediocre Clippings feature, and its limits; the DX page at Amazon.

Sony Reader PRS-700, $349

UPDATE: Sony has just announced a new version of their eBook Library software that will be compatible with Macs. It’s slated for release at the end of summer 2009.

Best ereader for: Book readers who must take notes.
    Not good for: Mac/Linux users. Readers with bad eyesight.

DRM content supported: Sony proprietary (LRF); PDF via Adobe Digital Editions. (Library books supported as PDFs on Windows computers.)

Quick summary: The PRS-700 is Sony’s first ereader with a touchscreen and a ‘frontlight.” The interface is quite good, and the PRS-700 has a fast processor, which helps everything along. However, the screen has a reduced contrast ratio and is prone to glare. We recommend you take a look at the screen in person before buying a PRS-700. Sony’s library software and their tech support are also hassles. Sony Readers will support RSS feeds of newspapers and magazines with Calibre. It’s not as foolproof or as thorough as the Kindle, but it’s generally free.
    Links: Our review of the PRS-700; the trouble with Sony eBook Library; the headache you’ll have if you get a lemon; a comparison of the Kindle and the PRS-700; our complete archive of Sony Reader-related posts; the PRS-700 on Sony’s website.

iRex 1000S, $859

Best ereader for: The foolishly wealthy.
    Not good for: Normal people.

DRM content supported: Mobipocket. (Mobi library books supported.)
    Quick summary: This device has a pretty slick-looking interface, tablet-like note-taking abilities, and a 10.2-inch screen. However, iRex products are far overpriced. Unless you’re an exec who spends all day reading full-size PDFS, only consider buying an iRex if you can afford to throw away $900 on a toy that will be obsolete in a year or two.

(iRex also makes a slightly cheaper ($699) ereader called the iLiad, but it’s difficult to tell from the iLiad’s webpage what exactly justifies the price tag.)
    Links: iRex 1000s reviews from USA Today, CNET, and Gizmodo; the 1000s product page at iRex’s website.

CASUAL EREADERS

Note: The PRS-505, the BeBook and the CyBook are all quite similar in terms of cost and features. If you’re thinking of getting one of these, take a look at the other two. If you run Windows, we recommend the Sony; if you have a Mac or a Linux machine, the BeBook is probably best for you. However, none of these is unquestionably better than the others.

You can also read our side-by-side comparison of the 505 and the BeBook here.

Sony Reader PRS-505, $269-299

UPDATE: Sony has just announced a new version of their eBook Library software that will be compatible with Macs. It’s slated for release at the end of summer 2009.

Best ereader for: Those who read primarily books, with a smattering of newspapers, and magazines, and don’t need to highlight.

Not good for: Those who don’t trust Sony. Mac/Linux users.

DRM content supported: Sony proprietary (LRF); secure PDFs via Adobe Digital Editions. (Library books supported as PDFs.)

Quick summary: The PRS-505 has a great screen, and all the content-acquisition abilities of the 700. In regards to 505 v. BeBook: the 505 is prettier, made of metal instead of plastic, and has a better interface, but doesn’t get the firmware upgrades of the BeBook.

The PRS-505 can support blogs and newspapers with Calibre. It takes a small bit of doing however. Your grandmother might not be able to set it up, but you can set it up for her, and it runs itself after that.

Bottom line: as much as I dislike Sony, the PRS-505 is simply a better device (though not as open). If you run Windows and are a casual reader, this is the ereader for you.
    Links: BeBook v. 505 comparison on our site; BeBook v. 505 conversation at MobileRead; problems with Sony eBook Library; problems with Sony tech support; a compilation of reviews of PRS-505 at ZDNET (despite what reviews might say, the PRS-505 no longer forces you to buy books from Sony); PRS-505 page at Sony.com (the 505 is cheaper, ironically, at Amazon).

BeBook, $279 plus shipping

Best ereader for: Readers who read a combination of books and magazines/blogs/newspapers. Non-U.S. readers. Mac/Linux users.
    Not good for: The tech-clumsy.

DRM content supported: Mobipocket. (Library books supported as Mobis.)

Quick summary: The BeBook is a rebranded Hanlin V3, packaged and supported by a Dutch company called Endless Ideas. BeBook can do books and newspapers/blogs (through RSS on the Mobipocket software). In regards to the 505: the BeBook supports more formats, and gets new features through regular firmware updates, but it is uglier, a bit more fragile, and the interface is clunkier than the PRS-505. Actually updating the firmware, and enabling other features takes some technical ability.
    BeBook 2 is scheduled to come out this summer. We recommend you don’t buy a BeBook 1 in the interim.

Finally, be warned: Endless Ideas will not let you return a BeBook if you don’t like it, even if it’s only been a few days. This makes it hard to recommend buying either the original BeBook or the next BeBook. It’s simply very difficult to get an accurate feel for this device from a video, and it’s a sizable risk.
    Endless Ideas will, however, let you return a BeBook if it breaks. Sony generally won’t.

Bookeen CyBook, $299-350 plus shipping

Best ereader for: Mobi readers who like a minimalist interface.

Not good for: Those who like page numbers.

Quick summary: The CyBook can support DRM Mobipocket, as can the BeBook. But the BeBook has support for a wide range of other formats (including RTF, which CyBook doesn’t support). The CyBook also can’t do page numbers with Mobis, which BeBook can. The CyBook has more interface options in certain areas, including more font sizes, and more layout customizability, but the BeBook has numbers buttons so that you don’t need to scroll everywhere to select options. BeBook also has more frequent firmware upgrades, and seems to have more robust support.

If you buy from the Bookeen website, the CyBook is $70 more, not including shipping, which is twice as much to the U.S. However, BooksOnBoard sells the CyBook in the U.S. for $299 (currently), and $14 shipping, making the price difference only $19. The CyBook price, however, doesn’t come with a cover, which is standard with both the PRS-505 and the BeBook.

Links: BeBook v. 505 comparison (including why CyBook was out of the running); CyBook reviews at the Future of Things and Trusted Reviews; BeBook v. CyBook at MobileRead; the CyBook webpage; the CyBook at BooksOnBoard.

Foxit eSlick, $259

Best ereader for: Those who will never read a DRM book.
    Not good for: Anyone who wants to buy/read current books.

DRM content supported: None. (Library books not supported.)

Quick summary: The eSlick is the cheapest of all current ereaders by a little bit. We’re against buying DRM books here at C4, but the eSlick’s inability to support DRM at all means that you can’t borrow library ebooks while you wait for publishers to sort out DRM. This pretty much means that you can’t read any current books on it. Supposedly, Foxit is working on secure PDF support, and secure eReader support, but until this actually happens, you might want to wait. The eSlick also isn’t shipping until April 10th at the earliest.

Links: Articles on the eSlick at PC World, and Gadgets Review; the eSlick webpage.

Astak EZ Reader, ca. $280

Best ereader for: Unclear.

Not good for: Unclear.

Quick summary: Astak was supposedly working on 3 versions of an ereader (originally called the Mentor) based on the Hanlin V3, just like the BeBook. The cheapest of these was purported to be less than $200, but so far this hasn’t materialized. It’s available at a few online retailers, but it’s the same price as most of the other casual ereaders.

The Astak website is terrible, and the news stream from them has dried up. For now, it looks like the same hardware as the BeBook, slightly more expensive, with none of the BeBook’s robust support.

Links: Astak’s amateurish EZ Reader webpage; the EZ Reader at CompSource, eCost, and Mobiebooks.

iPHONE/iPOD TOUCH EREADER APPS

Stanza, free

Best app for: Most everyone with an iPhone or iPod Touch who wants to read with any sort of seriousness (at least in the realm allowable by the device). Those who don’t have a very good reason for choosing one of the other programs below.
    Formats supported: DRM-free, anything. DRM, eReader format.

Quick summary: Stanza is hands-down the easiest and most open and user-friendly reader app available through iTunes. Using Calibre or their free Stanza Desktop, you can easily sync files from you computer to your device in seconds. It handles most every file format (with some DRM exceptions), and the interface and accessibility are hard to beat. Stanza is better than the competition, and it’s free of charge and free from advertising.
    Links: Lexcycle’s Stanza Homepage, our review.

eReader, free

Best app for: Anyone who already has an eReader/Fictionwise account, or a library of eReader PDB files. Palm holdouts.

Not good for: Anyone else

Formats supported: eReader PDB only. You can convert files via their website if you really want to bother.

Quick summary: eReader does most everything right and is a competent reader app. The file organization is not as intuitive as Stanza, and you must use the PDB format. Ultimately, the choice between Stanza and eReader boils down to you whether you already have a collection with eReader/Fictionwise, or wish to start one, or whether want to manage your own files as you wish, as Stanza allows. The latter option is not for everyone, and if it’s not for you, eReader is likely to be your app of choice.
    Links: eReader’s iPhone FAQ, our review.

Classics, $2.99

Best app for: Readers who only want a few casual choices in their pocket. Those who prefer form to function.

Not good for: People who take mobile device reading seriously.

Formats supported: None. You get what they give you.

Quick summary: Classics is actually a nice little app. Just don’t expect it to be anything more than it is. The books look nice, and the text flows well, even if it is a bit too large. There are nice graphics and animations, and the app regularly updates with new books every month or so (at no additional charge)–when I first got it there were 7 books, now it’s at 20. There are no customization options besides organizing you books on the virtual shelf, and no way to add or remove content.
    Links: Classics homepage, Ars Technica review, our review.

Amazon Kindle app, free

Best app for: Kindle owners.

Not good for: Anyone else.

Formats supported: Kindle format only.

Quick summary: Though anyone can download to and read straight from this from Amazon, it’s much less a standalone reader app than it is a supplement to the Kindle. For Kindlers it provides a nice way to quickly pick up a page or two on the fly without breaking out your Kindle, and while retaining your place in whatever text you’re reading. For everyone else its an inferior reader app hamstrung by DRM.
    Links: Our review, CNET puts it to the test.

Bookz, $4.99

Best app for: Masochistic crazy people who prefer TXT files exclusively.
    Not good for: Anybody.

Formats supported: TXT only. (There are sites that will convert non-DRM PDFs to TXT for you if you want).

Quick summary: Bookz is the lame horse that ran out of the gate first then tumbled over its own feet, crippling its left knee and leaving the jockey a tiny quadraplegic. It’s currently grazing on a sunny ranch right know, seemingly unaware it’s about to get a calming shot and a free trip to the Elmer’s factory.

Links: Our review, convert to TXT here.

BookShelf, $5.99 (or free and ad-supported as BookShelfLT)

Best app for: Dupes. Mid-nineties era Mac freaks nostalgic for the way things were.
    Not good for: People who value their time and money.

Formats supported: TXT, HTML, FB2, Plucker, PalmDoc, Mobi, and some (non-ereader) PDB.

Quick summary: BookShelf isn’t terrible, it’s just worse than Stanza in every single department. The $6 price tag is ridiculous for the lack of format support and the hassle that syncing is. And the free version has ads that the better, freer, programs do not.
    Links: BookShelf’s tour, their support (you might need it) and FAQ pages, a six-part video tutorial about how to use it, our review.

Appbooks using engines such as TouchBooks Reader and Iceberg Reader, price varies

Best apps for: People who don’t want to deal with managing a digital library. Impulsive, non-serious mobile readers.

Not good for: People who hate cluttered devices, or those who like organizing digital libraries.

Formats Supported: None.

Quick summary: TouchBooks is just one example (and I think a nice one) of the types of software available in the single books apps (known unofficially as Appbooks) available through iTunes. I’ve yet to download something with Iceberg’s architecture, but it is supposedly very user-friendly. None of those I have tried have hindered my reading, but having a single file attached to an app feels like sneaky DRM to me and I don’t like it. If that’s what you’re looking for, download away and enjoy. Ultimately it’s the book and not the conveyance that matters.

Links: Our review of Benjamin Button on TouchBooks Reader, Scrollmotion’s Iceberg page, speculative TeleRead post about appbooks v. ePUB libraries.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

E-Readers: The Next Generation of the Printed Page

By Roger Fidler

Newspaper publishers have long held an affinity for the concept of e-readers. In theory, the development and adoption of e-readers with a capacity to wirelessly access and display digital editions of newspapers would allow publishers to eliminate the production and distribution costs associated with their printed editions, which now account for more than half of most newspapers’ operating expenses.
    Although no mainstream publishers are seriously considering giving e-readers to subscribers and shutting down their newspapers’ pressrooms and distribution networks now, the idea might not seem so farfetched in the near future if current trends continue.
    For now, the e-reader still is widely perceived as an interesting idea whose time has not yet come. Few newspapers are experimenting with these mobile devices today, in large part because suitable e-readers have only recently entered the consumer market. None of the e-reader companies has disclosed its sales, so all estimates of the devices in use worldwide now are purely speculative.
    E-readers are not expected to diffuse in the marketplace as rapidly as mobile music and video players. One reason articulated by Michael Rogers, The New York Times’ first Futurist-in-Residence, is “when the Apple iPod and similar mobile devices were introduced, people already understood and accepted the need for a separate player to listen to music or watch videos. That’s not the case with books and periodicals, which historically have had low-cost ‘built-in players’ in the form of ink on paper.”
    That insight has not been lost on e-reader companies. Nearly all e-readers on the market today also can serve as music and audio book players, and several companies are planning to introduce e-readers that can function as mobile phones. The ability to communicate and listen to audio content might help to justify the cost of an e-reader, but most early adopters are likely to be serious readers who are attracted by the ability of these thin, lightweight devices to store a virtual library of books and periodicals that can be quickly accessed and comfortably read anytime, anywhere.
    “The real market opportunity for delivering content to owners of dedicated reading devices is that customers of such devices consume a massive amount of content, far more than general mobile device users,” said Nick Bogaty, Adobe Systems’ Senior Business Development Manager for Digital Publishing.
    Contrary to popular beliefs, e-readers also are not expected to completely replace paper. While e-readers might reduce consumption of pulp paper and might be more environmentally friendly, experts consulted for this article agreed that a strong attachment to the familiar tactile and tangible qualities of paper documents and publications is likely to persist for many more decades.
    What are e-readers?
    E-readers are mobile electronic reading devices designed primarily for storing, displaying and interacting with digital documents. They also are commonly referred to as e-books; however, that term for the devices tends to confuse the hardware with the content. Moreover, e-readers can display content other than digital editions of books, such as newspapers, magazines, sheet music, presentations and personal documents. Conversely, most digital editions can be read on a variety of devices from pocket PCs and intelligent phones to notebook and desktop computers in addition to e-readers.
    How are e-readers different from tablet PCs?
    Tablet PCs are essentially pen-based notebook computers. E-readers are not multipurpose mobile computers; they are electronic display media intended as environmentally friendly alternatives to paper for reading and interacting with documents.
    Like paper, they are envisioned to be lightweight, thin, easy to use and comfortable to read in nearly every lighting condition from bright sunlight to lamplight. They also are expected to become relatively inexpensive and to have long battery-duty cycles.

E-reader Timeline
    The vision of reading digital editions of books, newspapers and magazines on mobile display devices dates back at least four decades. The first true e-readers entered the general consumer market just 10 years ago.
    1968 — Newspad (vision), Arthur C. Clarke
    Clarke, who may be best known as the science-fiction writer who predicted the age of communication satellites, anticipated the development of e-readers and electronic newspapers is his book and the classic movie titled “2001: A Space Odyssey.” The following passage from his book describes his vision that is quickly becoming reality: “When he [Dr. Heywood Floyd] tired of official reports and memoranda and minutes, he would plug his foolscap-sized newspad into the ship’s information circuit and scan the latest reports from Earth. One by one he would conjure up the world’s major electronic newspapers.” Note: “foolscap” refers to a traditional European paper size of 8½ by 13½ inches that preceded adoption of the modern international A4 paper size.
    1972 — Dynabook (vision), Alan Kay, Xerox PARC
    What Kay envisioned actually was a multipurpose notebook computer, not an e-reader. However, he did anticipate that it also would be used for reading digital editions of books and periodicals.
    1981 — InfoScreen (vision), Roger Fidler, Knight-Ridder Inc.
    Fidler predicted in an essay he wrote and illustrated for an APME special report that by the year 2000 nearly all newspapers would be online and that lightweight, magazine-size e-readers, which he then called InfoScreens, would be able to access and display interactive, multimedia newspapers.
    1991 — Sony Bookman
    This CD-ROM device with a small, low-res screen was modeled after the Sony Walkman CD-ROM music player. Unlike the Walkman, which once dominated the mobile music player market, the Bookman never caught on.
    1996 — NewsPad (prototype), European collaborative project
    This device was envisioned as a multimedia tablet computer that could be used to play video and animated news stories locally broadcast by newspapers. El Periódico de Catalunya, the largest newspaper in Barcelona, Spain, conducted pilot demonstrations.
    1998 — Softbook by Softbook Press and Rocket eBook by NuvoMedia
    These were the first true e-readers in the general consumer market. Both were confined to purchasing and downloading eBooks via telephone dial-up services from each enterprise’s online bookstore.
    2001 — REB 1100 and REB 1200 by Gemstar
    Gemstar LTD purchased the Softbook and Rocket eBook patents in 2000 and licensed RCA to re-manufacture the devices. The REB 1200, also sold as the GEM 2150, was the first e-reader to have a full-color display.
    2004 — Sony Librié
    This was the first e-reader to use the electronic paper display technology developed by E Ink Corporation. It was sold mostly in Japan.
    2006 — iLiad Reader by iRex Technologies
    The first commercial e-reader with an 8-inch electronic paper display. Sony Reader
    Experience gained from the Librié led to the introduction of this e-reader for the international market.
    2007 — Kindle by Amazon
    This is the most successful e-reader in the U.S. market today. Cybook Gen3 by Bookeen
    Similar to Sony Reader.
    HanLin eReader by Tianjin Jinke Electronics
    Similar to Sony Reader.
    FLEPia by Fujitsu Frontech
    This is the first e-reader with a color electronic paper display. Sales are currently limited for corporate field tests only.
    2008 — Mentor eBook Reader by Astak
    Introduced a line of e-readers in three sizes — 5-inch, 6-inch and 9.7-inch — at the IDPF trade show in New York on May 14. Readius by Polymer Vision
    The first pocket-size e-reader with a roll-up electronic paper display. Polymer Vision has announced that it will begin selling the device in the United States in 2009.
    Note: This is not intended to be a complete list of companies known to be developing or manufacturing e-readers.
    Note: This is not intended to be a complete list of companies known to be developing or manufacturing e-readers.
    E-Reader Comparison
    The three most popular e-readers today are the Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader and iRex iLiad. Each uses the electrophoretic technology, commonly referred to as the electronic paper display (EPD) or e-paper. The commercial development of EPDs began at the beginning of this decade as a collaboration between E Ink Corporation and Royal Philips Electronics.

• Amazon Kindle — Available in the United States since November 2007. The Kindle clearly benefits from its tight integration with Amazon’s well-established online bookstore and from Amazon’s decision to provide Kindle owners with free access to Sprint’s national high-speed (EVDO) data network. The ability to easily and quickly find, purchase, download and read digital editions of books, newspapers and magazines anytime, almost anywhere in the United States is a significant competitive advantage. Price: $359.
    • Sony Reader — Available worldwide since September 2006; new model (PRS-505) introduced in October 2007. A PC is required to purchase books through the Sony eBook Store (Sony Connect). No access to newspapers or magazines at this time. Price: $300.
    • iRex iLiad — Available worldwide since September 2006; Second Edition iLiad introduced in October 2007; iLiad Book Edition introduced in May 2008. A PC is required to purchase and download eBooks in the Mobipocket format. Several European newspapers are experimenting with direct delivery to the iLiad using iRex’s secure wireless service. (iRex Technologies is a spin-off of Royal Philips Electronics.) Price: $699 (iLiad Second Edition) and $599 (iLiad Book Edition).

Next Generation E-Readers
    After nearly three decades of development, EPD technologies are finally becoming a viable alternative to pulp paper as a reading medium. In the next 10 years, EPD developers expect to see significant reductions in manufacturing costs along with improvements in display quality and performance.
    Next-generation e-readers may also employ other emerging paper-like display technologies, such as cholesteric liquid crystal displays (ChLCD), electrowetting displays, organic light-emitting diodes ( OLED) and micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS).
    Executives at e-reader companies are understandably reluctant to discuss their timelines for introducing new products with enhanced features. However, experts consulted for this article generally acknowledged that devices with magazine-size displays, improved contrast, faster page turning without an obvious flicker, and reduced prices would be available soon, possibly even before the end of 2008.
    The timetables for color and video are more problematic. Most believe next-generation e-readers with low-power, full-color reflective displays that have contrast and prices comparable to present gray-scale reflective displays will not be available before 2010. EPDs with a capacity to handle video have been demonstrated in laboratories, but they are unlikely to be installed in commercial e-readers before 2013.
    Newspaper publishers often have envisioned the ultimate wireless e-reader as one with a full-color roll-up screen that, when unrolled, is close to the dimensions of printed newspaper pages. Steven Spielberg adopted a version of this concept for his 2002 science fiction film “Minority Report.” The obvious appeal to publishers of such devices is the capacity to present exact replicas of print editions, which would eliminate the expense of repackaging editorial and advertising content in a smaller digital format. It also has been presumed that subscribers would prefer to read electronic newspapers in the familiar print formats on large, flexible paper-like displays.
    Ultra-thin, flexible electronic displays than can be rolled up have been demonstrated for more than 10 years in laboratories, such as the Liquid Crystal Institute at Kent State University and the Media Lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The challenge has been the development of flexible electronics to drive the displays and render images, store and manage content, control reader input and navigation, and handle wireless communications, as well as the development of lightweight, flexible batteries to provide power. No one expects low-cost wireless e-readers with large, flexible paper-like displays to be introduced in the general consumer market anytime soon. (The Readius e-reader introduced by Polymer Vision in January has a 5-inch electronic paper display that rolls up inside a small case that also functions as a G3 cell phone.)
    Moreover, the premise that people would prefer a broadsheet- or tabloid-size flexible e-reader that could be used only for reading newspapers (no other commonly read documents are as large as newspaper pages) is not well founded. One common reason people give for not liking printed newspapers is that their large formats make them unwieldy to read. Large flexible e-readers are likely to be just as unwieldy to read and navigate as paper.
    The other premise that people would prefer exact replicas of printed newspaper pages also is not well founded. Many newspapers have been selling digital replica editions (also known as screen facsimile editions) online for a number of years, but none has attracted more than a few thousand subscribers. By the time it might be possible to purchase a large-format, flexible e-reader, the characteristics of traditional printed newspapers probably will be unfamiliar to the vast majority of people. These premises have not discouraged newspaper companies, several of which are increasing their investments in the technology.
    Repackaged Newspaper Editions for e-readers
    The 6- to 8-inch black-and-white screens now used with e-readers limit the ability of newspapers to present digital editions with print-like layouts and display advertisements. The small audience also has discouraged publishers from investing resources in the development and production of digital editions designed exclusively for e-readers.
    Consequently, nearly all newspapers currently available to download and read on e-readers use a simple one-column book-like format with few or no photos. The stories, which are sequentially organized in sections, are typically accessed from hyperlinked headline menus. In most cases, the production processes are fully automated and do not involve anyone in the newspapers’ editorial departments.
    Kindle Daily Newspapers: Of the three leading e-readers in the market today, only the Amazon Kindle offers a selection of U.S. daily newspapers. As of early 2009, Kindle owners could subscribe to or purchase single copies of 34 newspapers — 24 of which are U.S. newspapers that include The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal and Los Angeles Times. All are non-interactive, static snapshots of the newspapers’ editorial content delivered wirelessly once daily without advertising. The participating newspapers provide Amazon with their stories from a single edition, which Amazon automatically converts into its proprietary HTML-based, one-column format. (The Kindle does not support PDF.)
    According to Robert Samuels, The New York Times director for mobile products, The Times is not planning to update the Kindle edition throughout the day, but Kindle owners can wirelessly access updated news stories on “The New York Times — Latest News” blog.
    Newspaper subscriptions range from $5.99 to $14.99 per month. Single copies are sold for 49 to 99 cents, depending on the newspaper. Amazon collects payments through its online store and takes a percentage of the revenue to provide its array of services. No discounts are offered to print subscribers.
    Under the terms of their contracts with Amazon, newspapers cannot reveal any specific details. However, Samuels volunteered, “The Times is pleased with the numbers so far and the growth rate is significant.” He also indicated, with some pride, that The Times had the most subscriptions of any newspaper available on the Kindle based on Amazon’s public ranking.
    iLiad Daily Newspapers: Several European newspapers are now experimenting with wireless delivery of daily editions to iLiad eReaders using iRex Technologies’ high-speed service (iDS). Newspapers that partner with iRex retain direct ownership of their subscriptions and can offer subscribers a variety of options. Newspapers also are able to customize the design and typography of their digital editions.
    In July, France Télécom announced that Le Monde and six other prominent French publications have agreed to join in an electronic newspaper project called “Read & Go.” The telecom company plans to give an Iliad e-reader to 120 customers who will use the device to wirelessly download and read the daily digital editions. Unlike the Kindle newspaper editions, the “Read & Go” editions will include advertising. At the conclusion of the test in September, participants will be asked how much they would be willing to pay for the service. If the test is successful, a commercial service could be launched next year, according to Paul-François Fournier, France Télécom’s senior vice-president for online advertising.
    Les Echos, a Paris-based business newspaper, is providing updated editions several times each day. The newspaper’s online content is automatically converted into simple page-based PDF documents.
    NRC Handelsblad, a leading Dutch newspaper, is producing digital editions that have a more print-like design. It currently offers three subscription options: 1) existing print subscribers can purchase an iLiad at a discounted price and get the digital edition for free; 2) people who already own an iLiad can subscribe to the digital edition for 189 Euros (an annual subscription to the printed newspaper is 245 Euros); 3) people who don’t subscribe to the printed newspaper and don’t own an iLiad can purchase an iLiad with a one-year subscription to the digital edition for 699 Euros ( the iLiad alone sells for 649 Euros in Europe).
    Other Newspaper Products for E-Readers
    E-readers with 10-inch or larger displays will allow newspapers to produce more compelling digital editions with multicolumn layouts, distinctive typography, informational graphics and photos, but the lack of color and interactivity undoubtedly will continue to deter advertisers. Publishers also are likely to remain reluctant to invest in the development and production of digital editions exclusively for e-readers until they are convinced the market is large enough to generate significant revenue.
    Newspapers don’t have to wait for larger e-readers with full-color, interactive displays however. They could begin now to develop and produce digital news products that are optimized for e-readers, but also could be downloaded and comfortably read on other more numerous mobile devices, such as notebook and tablet computers.
    Missourian eMprint Experiment: Field tests conducted by the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute (RJI) in collaboration with the Columbia Missourian between March 2005 and May 2007 demonstrated that a market exists for digital newspapers editions designed for reading on mobile computer screens. The electronic media print (eMprint) model developed at RJI was optimized for presenting repackaged newspaper editions in a print-like format on e-readers with 10-inch or larger screens.
    Nearly all of the approximately 5,000 people who participated in the field tests read the weekly eMprint editions on notebook computers. No suitable e-readers were available to use during the field tests; however, a small number of subscribers indicated that they used tablet PCs with 10-inch screens rotated in a document (portrait) orientation.
    The Missourian eMprint editions included full-color display advertising, interactive graphics, reader feedback forms and embedded video/audio elements. Subscriptions were free but required registration. Advertisers paid to participate in the field tests.
    RJI Digital Newsbooks: Another product developed at RJI called Digital Newsbooks also can be read comfortably on any mobile computer or e-reader with a PDF viewer. The RJI Digital Newsbooks are essentially downloadable eBooks with photos and information graphics. They are designed to provide newspaper publishers with a possible new source of revenue from their in-depth special reports.
    Several members of the RJI Digital Publishing Alliance, including The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, are participating in the Digital Newsbook development project. In July, The Times began selling Digital Newsbooks produced at RJI through its online store.
    “At The New York Times we're encouraging enterprising reporting efforts that result not just in one or several high-impact stories, but memorable series that run for a year or more. These efforts address subjects that will only grow more important with time, such as genetic testing, air pollution, the most deadly diseases and space exploration. What better way to extend the life and impact of these series than the Digital Newsbook,” said Glenn Kramon, The Times’ assistant managing editor for enterprise.

Roger Fidler is program director for digital publishing at the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute, where he coordinates digital publishing research and development projects and the RJI Digital Publishing Alliance, a member-supported initiative that includes The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and Los Angeles Times. More…

First Published:
    July 31, 2008
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

BeBook e-reader getting WiFi, new firmware update: eyes-on

by Darren Murph, posted Mar 6th 2009 at 3:54PM

Clearly, the big news from Endless Ideas today at CeBIT was its next-generation BeBook 2. But what about all those existing / to-be BeBook 1 owners? We've got a bit of excitement to share with you folks as well. While prying for information today in Hannover, we were informed that one of the biggest issues with the BeBook is being resolved very soon. Yes, friends, WiFi is coming. In just a few months, BeBook users will be able to buy a WiFi-enabling SD card (and download a new firmware update) which will provide wireless access to eBook stores, RSS feeds and lots of other goodies that can only be touched with a live internet connection. We're told that the WiFi SD card will be sold directly on the BeBook website for around $40, and it should be listed for sale within the next few months. We took the chance to grab some hands-on footage of the original BeBook in video form for you Yanks who've yet to see one, and if you hang in there 'til the end, you'll hear us get tipped off on the forthcoming card.
    Gallery: BeBook e-reader getting WiFi, new firmware update: eyes-on

AH HA!!!!!!!!!!

Ok.. so... BeBook 1 (on sale now for about 280 + 40 dollars for a wireless SD card that should be coming out soon.... ok, NOW we're getting someplace. LOL)

or I can wait for BeBook 2
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://www.teleread.org/2009/05/28/t...-from-be-book/

$199 E Ink machine from BE Book—with optional $30 wireless card on the way

By Paul Biba
    One of the things I learned at CES was that the best time to really poke around a show is the day before when they are setting up. Of course this isn’t always easy, as press usually isn’t allowed in during this time. However, once you get in you generally don’t get thrown out. So the trick is getting in. Suffice it to say I found a way to get into the show floor here, and was lucky enough to run into Peter Zieleman, Marketing Manager, and Johan Hagenbeuk, CEO, of BE Book. They were just setting up their booth and showed me two new ebook readers that have never been seen before.
    The first is the BE Book 2. It is a standard size reader, but it has a touch screen and wireless that will work anywhere in the world. It will read all the standard BE Book formats including EPUB. This is the first direct competitor to the Kindle. It can do everything the Kindle can do, but is not restricted to a proprietary format. It will use the same type of data model as the Kindle, that is the user will not pay anything to download his books. It betters the Kindle in that news feeds will be free, not a premium as on the Kindle. Here are a couple of shots taken on the show floor:

It will be cheaper than the Kindle and will be available sometime at the end of September.
    The also have another product that we’re announcing for the first time. This is a small 5″ reader that can fit in your pocket. The exciting thing about this is that it should retail for about $199. In addition the reader will have an SD card slot and a wireless SD card will be available for it and be priced at about $30. Here’s a shot and then another shot of all three together:

Things are getting more and more exciting in the ereader space! The guys had to go and I’ll try to get some more details later.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/06/b...at-cebit-2009/

BeBook 2 e-reader revealed and in the wild at CeBIT 2009!

by Darren Murph, posted Mar 6th 2009 at 1:03PM

There it is, folks -- the BeBook 2. We knew Endless Ideas was bringing its next-generation BeBook to CeBIT, but we had no idea it'd be this well under wraps. We chatted with the company's CEO and managing director a bit about the direction of the BeBook as a whole, and they're very much believers in keeping format support wide open and giving readers the choice of where to pull content from. We were blessed with a few minutes of hands-on time with the new and improved e-reader, and while the software was still not finalized (thus our inability to photograph it more), we were impressed with what we saw.

The next iteration of the BeBook should be a serious contender in the e-reader market, particularly in Europe where Amazon's Kindle has yet to invade. The inclusion of WiFi and 3G is a good move (great move, actually), as those two additions open up all sorts of possibilities that non-connected readers simply can't access. As for the device itself? We're digging it. The build quality felt remarkably sturdy, the aesthetics were beautiful and the thinness was certainly notable. The e-ink display has also stepped up the greyscale level from the original BeBook, and battery life should remain the same despite not being as bulky. As you can tell, the screen also supports doodling, and it tracked inputs as well as we could've hoped. We still couldn't pry out a price, but you can be on the lookout for this to drop worldwide somewhere in the Q3 to Q4 2009 time frame.
    Gallery: BeBook 2 e-reader revealed and in the wild at CeBIT 2009!

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well, Rick, that answers another of my concerns. In reviews of BeBook1, it was noted by several reviewers that the product felt flimsy, and I was anxious to hear the reviews for Gen 2 to see if this improved, and at least according to this review that would seem to have been addressed. With the MM and CEO reiterating their support for open access once again, and the addition of WiFi, looks to me like price is the final decider.

Thanks

Yeah, MT, I'm leaning strongly to the BeBook 2.

1) It's out of Europe and not tied down to "Whispernet" through Amazon.
    2) It can use some of the proprietary formats and read many, many more than others.
    3) New one will have wifi. (I want that badly on a reader)
    4) Touch screen
    5) Memory slot (SD card)
    6) decent construction
    7) Cheaper than Kindle. (I hope).
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://mybebook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=398

Mt, read that thread if you get a minute. Cracked me up. A fella with a "PHD in Life Sciences" is bitching BIGTIME about the bebook, lack of service, you name it. Had the arrogance to ensure folks KNEW he was a SMART fella and so forth.

I find these kinds of public complaints less than useless, but funny.

If there were a problem, why didn't he contact the company by phone? He claims he's dutch. Dutch company. Ok, he finally, at the end buys a Sony (after in another statement he didn't WANT to buy a Sony for some reasons he gave) and then comes off with "I'm DELIGHTED" with the new one.

Sounded like a plant to me.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://www.pg-news.org/20081005/bebook-ebook-reader/

Another review. Little older one.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

the one, and only Amazon.com review I could find...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Bottom of the page.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

The guy did come off a bit pompous, but there are a lot of negative comments in general. Then only 1 review on Amazon, seeming to answer some of those complaints, and $795.00? Wow. Generation2 is what we're waiting for anyway, and BeBook1 was supposed to be someone elses product, repackaged and sold under the Endless Idea brand, so I'll continue to wait and hope for a chance to actually touch one before I buy. My daughter is in college, perhaps someone there will have one, at least that's where I'm looking now in hopes of testing any of them out. I just can't hand over that much, sight unseen, feels wrong to me. If I actually get to try one out, I'll be sure to post my impressions.

Thanks

I'm leaning towards BeBook 2, so, if I get one, I will do a review on it.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...products_id=69

This is the other one I like, a lot... but... damn... nearly 900 bucks????
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I can buy about 150 paperbacks for that price. The difference is, I can't carry 150 paperbacks with me.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information