Thread: Boeing Rolls Out With Modified B-52

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Boeing Rolls Out With Modified B-52

Boeing Rolls Out With Modified B-52
    Boeing Integrated Defense Systems in Wichita marked the start of the flight-test phase of a B-52 modified with Combat Network Communications Technology (CONECT) with a celebration Friday at the company.

The aircraft made its first flight Thursday.

The plane, a B-52H Stratofortress long-range bomber, has been modified with modern situational awareness and mission flexibility, the company said.

Boeing Wichita employees, U.S. Air Force representatives and state and local officials were on hand for the celebration at the company in southeast Wichita.

"The CONECT modification gives our warfighters equal footing in a network-centric battlefield," Scot Oathout, Boeing's director of B-52 programs, said in a statement.

Boeing Wichita is modifying the first of 76 B-52s in service. Wichita engineers will continue to provide engineering support for the remaining modifications.

The B-52 was designed to carry nuclear weapons during the Cold War. The Wichita-modified aircraft was first delivered from Boeing Wichita in 1960.

The Air Force awarded Boeing the contract in April 2005 for the system design and development of the CONECT program.

B-52s are stationed at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota and Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana.

Thanks

Default Re: Boeing Rolls Out With Modified B-52

The B-52 must be the hands down winner of ultimate heavy bombers. I would dare say there has never been an airframe with more longevity. C3 transport, maybe, but I do not think they are still manufactured.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

I just wish all of these weren't at Davis-Monthan...

They have all likely been cut up by the big guillotine by now.

Thanks

Is that the place around Tuscon? I suppose you could consider it a place to look for parts.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thread Information