Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Colony" on Discovery

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "The Colony" on Discovery

Anyone else watch this?

I did and I thought it was pretty

First and foremost, no guns? Really? Not even a .22 or .38?

If unknowledgeable people watching this think that this is what surviving will be like, they are in for a very rude (and possibly lethal) surprise.

I suppose I will keep watching it to see where it goes and, just because nothing else is really on at this point in the TV season.

Thanks

Default Re: "The Colony" on Discovery

My wife and I got into an argument about this.

One of the first things I said was "In a real life situation like this, life will immediately become pretty much a patriarchal dictatorship."

Her lib response was "Only in this country for the past 150 years has patriarchy been a system, historically its always been matriarchies"

Considering I didn't want to get into a further argument, I left it there. One need merely peruse history everywhere with a few exceptions to see that I'm right. While there may have been female queens and some limited royalty throughout history, one notch below the nobles and women were not in charge in any real sense of the word. Like it or not, that's how it was.

There is no equality in a life and death end of the world situation. Strongmen will rise to power but strong, wise men will rise to rule.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

This is true. That handyman guy acts like he wants to be in charge but seems like a bit of a flake. TV act or real? Who knows. One of the other guys, the computer/electrical engineer, is already acting like Richard from Survivor (a true joke of a show) dancing around naked on camera in the rain.

In fact, all of the people on there seem a bit flaky. Then again maybe it is just close to a real sample of real people. After all, I suppose most of the general population seem to be generally clueless.

Just look at how much of a priority they put on electricity. They did decently with getting water taken care of but then they go and start using it for washing clothes? In fact, it looks like in one of the next episodes they've got solar panels set up.

Let's not worry about security because one guy wondering around inside the warehouse where he can't see anything, rather than having 2+ people on a perimeter patrol with firearms (or at least paintball or airsoft guns for the sake of the show), makes so much more sense. Add to that not setting up a perimeter warning system with tripwires and noisemakers (cans, hubcaps, etc.). And on top of that clumping all of the people in one room to sleep instead of spreading out where they might better hear intruders or respond to a thread of breach.

What about their other laughable efforts at "survival" like wasting water on doing laundry instead of establishing a firm, multi-day supply of water. Or trying to use the existing bathroom trusting that the sewage plumbing will continue to work rather than getting a latrine dug. Not thoroughly searching the new arrivals outside of the building before letting them in. And if I recall, I think when they had their 15 minutes to scav in that store, I saw someone putting pillows () in a bag. Now granted I didn't see those pillows again later in the show but who knows, the fact is that someone (I don't think they showed who it was) actually thought pillows were a priority. And speaking of the time scavving, one person was getting food but they were busy packing junk food in a box. Although if that was all that was available, they might get a pass.

Those were just a few of my criticisms. Then again, those just might be the real actions of real sheeple if the

Thanks

Wanted to add that if it were me, after that first encounter with the marauders, my group would already have a couple of motorcycles.

Thanks

i got a few things out of it:

1. the handyman guy is the leader.

2. No offense to the ladies out there, but they had no clue on what to do in an EOTW situation. When the group came begging to get in, they girls were "I think we should trust them, open the door". Seriously? No way in hell I'd let anyone in.

3. They did seem wasteful with power and water to start with, but I would guess that 95% of people out there would do the exact same thing. Once the new "reality" sets in, the habits of old would change pretty quickly.

4. The clips from the upcoming episode seem a bit far fetched as well. Solar panels? I don't think there are any solar panels within 50 miles of where I am.

5. Instead of solar panels, they should just put up a billboard that says "We are here, come and kill us". Why would you make your presence know if you could avoid it?

Thanks

These people are simply retarded. if the shit ever did hit the fan, they'd all be very dead in a month, tops. Zero sense of self-preservation or even the least little HINT of survival instinct. none. random desperate scared people show up? sure, let em in with no security. awesome idea. let them in to kill, rape, pillage, and loot. awesome idea. security force with a real security plan? even a basic one of either? no. dont need that. clean drinking water? nah, we gotta do laundry. completely totally oblivious.

you know why Katrina was so bad? because this is what 95% of our people think like. they dont have a damn clue. they are simply and LITERLLY, too damn stupid to live.

its sad. maybe i am better off because i was a boyscout. maybe its the training i recieved in other career forms in my life (survival and tactical training) maybe i/we here on this forum are just better trained, or better educated or just have something most lack: common sense.

when i was younger i was almost killed doing something very foolish on a bicycle. instead of being the least bit sympathetic, my father was fuming. absolutely beat red and sweating with anger. he yelled for a while and when he saw he wasnt getting through to me, he said, "are you dumb? are you really that clueless, that you cant look around you and see danger? are you so nonchalant about everything you do, that you cant even see when you are putting yourself in grave danger, or when you are in a dangerous situation? what is it gonna take to wake you up?"

he was right. at the time i was 14 and still had that 'im invincible' attitude. it died right then and there. ever since then i have learned to look for it. to strive to recognize it. i made a conscious choice right then and there. some people, sheltered lives for the whole lives, never ever get that life lesson, and never learn any better than to be complete idiots and oblivious through out their entire lives. look at how most people act and drive in 3000lb vehicles traveling at 40, 55, 75 mph while on the roads.

ev

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eversman View Post
    These people are simply retarded. if the shit ever did hit the fan, they'd all be very dead in a month, tops.
    A month? Wow, you are generous!

The only thing that I take solace in is that my plans to become a warlord should be relatively unhindered!
    :hail:

I'll be just like Lord Humongous but without all the skimpy leather!

its sad. maybe i am better off because i was a boyscout. maybe its the training i recieved in other career forms in my life (survival and tactical training) maybe i/we here on this forum are just better trained, or better educated or just have something most lack: common sense.
    I'd say, all of the above but especially the common sense part!

I think another part of it is that we've made things so safe (cars for example) that a lot of people who would otherwise kill themselves with their stupidity are surviving. We are screwing with Darwin's law of Survival of the Fittest. Thus because these stupid people are not able to remove themselves from the gene pool, the gene pool is getting dirtier and dirtier with stupid people.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Now you guys know why I'm not even sure where the cable remote is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    3. They did seem wasteful with power and water to start with, but I would guess that 95% of people out there would do the exact same thing. Once the new "reality" sets in, the habits of old would change pretty quickly.
    Might be too late by the time they come to the realization!

4. The clips from the upcoming episode seem a bit far fetched as well. Solar panels? I don't think there are any solar panels within 50 miles of where I am.
    I'm pretty sure they got the panels from some road construction signs. Then again, this is filmed in California and solar panels just may grow on trees there!

5. Instead of solar panels, they should just put up a billboard that says "We are here, come and kill us". Why would you make your presence know if you could avoid it?
    Very true... Light in the middle of the night in a post-apocalyptic does tend to stick out a little.

Thanks

Those who have food, firearms, water and ammunition will rule. i think all among this thread are in this category (prepared).

the rest....... are not my concern.

ev

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Mental conditioning for what's coming...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

It's eye opening to see just how clueless most people are. seriously. if this is what we have to expect from the vast majority of the population, wow. all i can say is wow. a lot of people are gonna die if another major disaster or serious attack happens.

just goes to show that people do not know how to survive on their own, and might turn on people who do trying to get what they need. also scary to think that these people are going to be numerous (ones who dont know how to survive and were unprepared) and will be very tricky to deal with. those of us who have prepared are definitely going to have limited supplies and will need to be very paranoid about people we happen to encounter, for lack of a better way to phrase it.

ev

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    Not exactly where you were expecting your wife and child to end up unprepared.

That's during daylight hours, can't imagine the zombie activity that emerges after dark.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Tonight's episode wasn't bad from an experimental point of view with making woodgas and running a genny off of it. Was interesting to show it wasn't too terribly tough to do.

Two things to know about woodgas though:
    1) It is equivalent to 105 octane gasoline
    2) Running it straight into an engine will mean the engine will have to be torn down and cleaned often due to the impurities.

But, there is still the fact that they have put too much emphasis on having electricity straight off the bat rather than real immediate survival matters.

Thanks

That, my friend, is because they are too used to creature comforts and are unable to do without them. they are soft, and arguably lazy. they are unwilling to suffer a little and do without a few creature comforts in order to make sure they live long term. comfort in the short term will always win out over a little discomfort and living into the long term with these people.

they dont understand the concepts necessary to stay alive. they arent playing that game. they are just playing the "how do we make life as normal as possible" game. that is a losing battle, doomed to fail sooner rather than later, and they do not understand that. they dont get that its futile, and they dont get that its probably fatal, either.

Those are my observations. They ought not be building an oasis in the desert, they ought to be making a solid fortified encampment with all the necessities to enable survival. that means nutritious food, a plentiful supply of water, or the ability to get/make it, a means to protect their camp from predators (animal and human), good shelter from the elements, and if they are really smart some sort of facilities for first aid and as advanced of medical treatment as is possible. i see none of these things taking place there, and certainly not being made into a priority.

ev

edit: i would dearly love to see all the cast and characters on this charade of a show sit down after the season ends, for a real serious no shitter as the season finale. i would LOVE to see them get critiqued by a SERE expert, and have their efforts plans and work critiqued in detail and broadcast as the finale to this show. maybe something could be salvaged from it that way, and it could be used as a real serious teaching moment.
    Last edited by eversman; July 30th, 2009 at 21:06. Reason: secondary thoughts added to original post.

Thanks

That, my friend, is because they are too used to creature comforts and are unable to do without them. they are soft, and arguably lazy. they are unwilling to suffer a little and do without a few creature comforts in order to make sure they live long term. comfort in the short term will always win out over a little discomfort and living into the long term with these people.

they dont understand the concepts necessary to stay alive. they arent playing that game. they are just playing the "how do we make life as normal as possible" game. that is a losing battle, doomed to fail sooner rather than later, and they do not understand that. they dont get that its futile, and they dont get that its probably fatal, either.
    Yes, 100% right. The "how do we make life as normal as possible" game is a good way to put it.

This isn't to say that in the long term one cannot or should not make life as normal as possible but they have literally JUST been thrust into the events and place where they are. At that phase, the name of the game is SURVIVAL.

edit: i would dearly love to see all the cast and characters on this charade of a show sit down after the season ends, for a real serious no shitter as the season finale. i would LOVE to see them get critiqued by a SERE expert, and have their efforts plans and work critiqued in detail and broadcast as the finale to this show. maybe something could be salvaged from it that way, and it could be used as a real serious teaching moment.
    THIS! It would be time well spent watching a real deal expert give them all a dressing down...

"And you would have died here and here... Definitely would have died doing that! Oh boy, that would have been a guaranteed death!"

I don't see why that couldn't be done. After all America loves to see people get torn to shreds by Simon on American Idle. Why not on this?

Thanks

So, is it just me or does it look like in the next episode, their camp gets raided???

ev

Thanks

Thanks Ryan,
    Just started watching the series.

Ev your assessment is sharp and have excellent points!!!

Yeah, in a large city raids would be happening like "I Am Legend" at night, not a comforting thought.

But this is a reality game show not a down and dirty in your face ugly real life post civilized apocalypse. The participants know the cameras are rolling and will be on TV in a few weeks for all their friends, family and millions more to see.

Even though, you can already see the transition going from first world living to losing a few conveniences is putting an emotional strain on the group, making a few easily irritable.

It doesn't take much to coarsen the colony (society). You can already see where increasing hostile behavior and stealing has become an accepted way of survival at the expense of weaker groups they have encountered.

The guy who was against the PHD's working on the wood gas system already seems to be emotionally unstable. Under the right conditions he could become a liability risk to the group.

If this were real with the personalities present; even with no raids eminent. Imagine if they had one loaded hand gun within camp and ran out of supplies.

What desperate events could transpire?

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

These last two episodes haven't been too bad. It looks like the security breach 2 episodes ago and the trading incident (I'll leave it vague for those who haven't seen it yet) in last night's episode seem to have brought some semblance of reality into the group.

It looks like the handyman and the other guy seem to have the most level heads on their shoulders. The women seem to be pretty close to useless so far (no offense to any ladies reading but these gals are). The self defense instructor, in particular, seems to be very defensive about her uselessness. The two other brainy guys seem to be only semi-useless as they do come up with rather good ideas for gadgets and devices.

The show does seem to be improving since that security breach.

One complaint though... The show keeps stating that the participants won't be physically harmed by the marauders. I think that is stupid. I think having some level of hand-to-hand confrontation between the good guys and bad guys would bring a level of realism to it. A black eye, bloody nose, or fat lip won't kill a person. I'm absolutely certain that if the show's producers, when looking for participants, had stated that physical injuries are a real possibility and told people they would have to sign an injury waiver they still would have had no problem finding people looking to be on TV to participate.

Thread Information