Thread: Ultimate Bug Out Vehicle on eBay Right Now!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Ultimate Bug Out Vehicle on eBay Right Now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...lenotsupported

I do believe I could be persuaded to part with a duplicate organ (your choice!) for that thing!

Video here - http://www.youtube.com/user/dma251

Thanks

Default Re: Ultimate Bug Out Vehicle on eBay Right Now!

I know it's a 1984, but with as many hours as he's put into the rebuilt and refurbish, with everything he's dropped into it, I have no idea why he's letting it go for as low as 49k!!!!

A stripped down plain vanilla one starts at 130k, and he's added bells and whistles.

A ittle googling...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_E...Tactical_Truck

Thanks

I guess if you're bugging out your entire village this might be the ticket but the concept of a slow, ponderous, diesel guzzling truck of limited utility isn't exactly my idea of the ultimate BOV.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    I know it's a 1984, but with as many hours as he's put into the rebuilt and refurbish, with everything he's dropped into it, I have no idea why he's letting it go for as low as 49k!!!!

A stripped down plain vanilla one starts at 130k, and he's added bells and whistles.

A ittle googling...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_E...Tactical_Truck
    Current bid: US $49,889.00
    Reserve not met

I HOPE YOU ALL UNDERSTAND MY REASONING, BUT I DON'T WANT TO REVEAL THE RESERVE PRICE, EXCEPT TO SAY IT IS OVER TEN THOUSAND LESS THEN THE CHEAPEST HEMTT I'VE EVER SEEN AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN ANY CONDITION.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    I guess if you're bugging out your entire village this might be the ticket but the concept of a slow, ponderous, diesel guzzling truck of limited utility isn't exactly my idea of the ultimate BOV.
    I'll give you diesel guzzling (I think it gets 4-5MPG) but, this thing does respectably well in the speed and maneuverability department for its size. He has ungoverned it and it can now hit 65+ instead of the .mil limited 55.

Thanks

OK. 49k is not the price, I'll be interested to see it's actual sale price should it sell.

I've never liked reserve prices with items starting at $0. Just give us your minimum.

Thanks

End date Aug 5th.

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    I'll give you diesel guzzling (I think it gets 4-5MPG) but, this thing does respectably well in the speed and maneuverability department for its size. He has ungoverned it and it can now hit 65+ instead of the .mil limited 55.

Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (H.E.M.T.T.):

Based on an airport fire truck, the Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck or H.E.M.T.T. can go just about anywhere, has three basic versions, (tanker, wrecker, and cargo carrier).

It is ideal for support operations, refueling and re-watering survivor assault vehicles in the field (such as during salvage and recovery operations).

The HEMTT does have a problem; It gets 3 miles to the gallon. That's a big chunk of it's carrying capacity, though not necessarily enough to dissuade use outright.

A second, lesser, issue is maneuverability; The HEMTT should be kept to main, wider, areas only as much as possible.

At 3 MPG is rough for a BOV.

You would also need to find secure storage
    for the massive dinosaur with a small fortune in fuel just to get out of town.

It would be better to have it securely stored at your BO destination.

Maybe, if find yourself in a Mad Max moment and the Zombies show up and overrun your Keep. You evacuate the occupants with literally tons lots of stuff loaded for bear riding shotgun as you run them down and the occupants pick off what you miss.

Come to think of it 55MPH may not be enough either, better bring lots of ammo.

Last edited by vector7; July 29th, 2009 at 17:21.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Started thinking about SHTF scenarios again for survival transportation.

What if you needed to get out of town but something has happened and now the roads are packed and dangerous looks like you may have to hike out, or...

http://www.fxbikes.com/2011/12/06/fx...-applications/

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

We need to disabuse ourselves of this notion that we're going to "bug out" to somewhere.

This will almost never be the right thing to do.

Reasons to bug out:
    Impending meteor strike and you need to get to high ground.
    Nuclear detonation in your immediate vicinity.
    EMP Saturation
    Imminent wildfires

Pretty much anything less than that and you are setting yourself up for hell.

Being a refugee is NEVER better than being on your own property. Refugees are abused and hated.
    You will have no resources
    You will have no shelter you can protect
    You will be hungry
    You will be shitting in a hole and probably getting dysentery
    You will have no privacy and no creature comforts
    You will be cold and miserable, constantly on the hunt for food and water.
    It will be years or never before you can re-establish some semblance of normalcy.

If you are "bugging out" you'd better be bugging to your doomstead because if you don't have everything in place already and a safe place to go to, you are only making your situation worse.

All these asshole mountain men wannabes are going to be gathered together in the mountains freezing their starving asses off together.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

All-in-all I'll agree with Mal. Except on one thing.

Sometimes you won't have a choice.

I suggest you take a map of my city and look closely.

I'm on the East side of Colorado Springs, near the Intersection of Powers Blvd and South Carefree.

This places me almost equidistant from Fort Carson (South), Peterson AFB (south), Cheyenne Mtn Air Station (South, AKA NORAD), West of Schreiver AFB and South of the Air Force Academy.

Every one of those five installations are targeted by nuclear weapons. Especially Schriever, Peterson and Carson. NORAD to probably a higher degree, and who wouldn't want to take out a military academy training military officers????

Seriously, if there's a chance in HELL to get out before the nukes hit - then bugging out is the ONLY option we have. The WHOLE city would have to bug out. Not just a few of us.

The other thing I will disagree with is the "Years before you can re-establish some semblance of normalcy". While this is true on the surface I'll tell you it won't matter one wit about it because NO ONE will have any semblance of normalcy - and will never really have it. The "New Normal" will not be anything like we expect or want it to be.

All these asshole mountain men wannabes are going to be gathered together in the mountains freezing their starving asses off together.
    This is likely true to a point, but they will be stopping and taking everything anyone else showing up has with them....
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

This vehicle was actually to get me home.

I live in a rural community and drive over 60 miles to work and travel through the roughest parts of town on the highway.
    If I was forced to go around the city the journey home would be over 100 miles.

Even if I had a 3 day pack it would be a scary hike.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

If you don't have a choice, you don't have a choice. Willfully choosing to bug-out is almost NEVER the right thing to do.

I included nuclear detonations among my good reasons. Your area is likely to end up very hot and windy.

Hopping on a motorcycle with a range of a few hundred miles and the ability to carry a couple days food and a change of clothes strikes me as an insanely bad idea.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

It is an insanely bad idea on my part.

And I see Vector made a correction, rather than bug out, it's like a "Get Home Bag" - a get home vehicle.

I can hike from work to home in roughly 7 hours from where I work, and I have to cross some hilly terrain. I would NOT stick to the roads to do it (probably cutting off about 4 miles going in a straight line).

So, that brings me to a question, Vector... .would you carry this bike in your pick up truck or something? Or just drive it to work every day? (or whereever you find yourself on a daily basis).

In my case, I drive a pick up.If something happens and I can't start that truck, I'll be walking.

If it's nukes... I like won't be going home. I'm at ground Zero. Even if I CAN go home... as Mal put it, the whole are will be a nuclear wasteland by then and I'll be headed westward, INTO the brunt of the radiation. I won't live long.

All my family lives in town - except one. I'd have a better chance of getting to his place (it's another 20 miles in the opposite direction, by the way!) than getting back to town.

Maybe I should just carry my mountain bike in the truck?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Thinking about an inexpensive used SUV to park at work and take home occasionally.

Maybe install a valve and small hand pump to get 3 gallons of gas from the SUV and or my daily driver.

Wouldn't want to store it with fuel so the carb would stay pristine.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Well.... I can see it being a good idea if you have a place to store it at work. In my case, I have no place to store something here. I'd have to carry it in my truck.

I either drive home, or I hike /shrug
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

The mountain bike is not a bad idea either and beats hiking over long distances. I was looking for something in between a motorcycle and a mountain bike solution to get me home if this scenario happens.

Here is something to throw in the trunk...

World's first dual suspension folding bike

Onyerbike an innovative company is producing a dual suspension bike that is foldable. It is beleived that no other dual susension bike has ever been made with the ability to fold. They offer four full size and full functionality bikes, which finally are easy to transport.

From Gizmag -> The bikes are being sold to “anyone who wants a fully-functional bike but suffers from confined space living,” said Onyerbike’s Darren Tomkinson. “People are buying them for the dorm or barracks, boat, camper, motorhome but mainly for apartment living,” said Tomkinson.

“They offer on-and off-road capabilities and you can adjust the suspension very quickly to get the best set-up for both. The killer-app is the combination of full size, full-capability and folding – it’s clearly been something the public has wanted for some time.”

Via Gizmag

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

A bit heavier than I'd like to carry. lol

I have a pretty nice bike. It's in the garage. I can put it in the pick up and lock it down and get it out when I need to.

There are lots of folding bikes out there, that's not the first (might be first dual suspension though). World cruisers (in yachts) use folding bikes.
    Libertatem Prius!

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

I have invested in better than good quality off/on road bikes for myself and my two friends that are as brothers. We take trail rides and do workout moderately as well. If anything should occur the plan is stay home. If at this house it is fairly well insulated from main roads and distant enough from DC that a direct impact to DC would not be too devastating and as to fallout, wind carries away most all the time. If things should stay status quo for a while, we sell this house and move to WV, I venture that what I am seeking is more insulated, also on well and septic with gas, but a propane backup and generator.

Thread Information