Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Role Playing Survival

Thanks

Default Re: Role Playing Survival

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Yes, I would think solar panels would work well with deep cell batteries because they are recharchable. I don't think car batteries are recharchable.

How do you make Field expediate solar panels?

I guess, what I would do in this role play scenerio, I would recon houses for the solar panels. Once I found some, I would take the wagon to the houses and aquire them and the wireing.
    Car batteries will recharge just fine... IF they haven't sat there too long and the cells fail. But remember in our scenario there are cars sitting all over the place, you're likely (with some work) to find one or two good or at least decent batteries.

Remember a lot of folks have spare batteries aboard their motor homes and believe it or not, many of them will be deep cycle batteries. Another place to locate batteries (though most will be 6V instead of 12, so you might have to get some and put them in series) are golf carts. Those too, are generally deep cycle batteries.

Marinas with boats. Those should be marine/deep cycle batteries

Field expedient solar panel? You're not going to do that most likely. Find an existing solar panel and just use that to charge your batteries. Remember you will need to disconnect them at night (yes some have diodes to prevent discharge back through the panel from the battery, but don't count on that).
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Well fellas, I gotta go for a while. I have to go to Walmart. I hate going to Walmart too. It is 25 miles from here and it seems like you walk about 25 miles in the store too. I hate it when they move stuff on me and then I end up wondering all over looking for it. Pisses me off when that happpens. I think they do it on purpose.
    Exactly the reason I hate ALL those big box places. The worst in Home Depot.

But for the fun of it, I am going to ask the greeter at Walmart if he/she knows if they sell boxes of grid squares; and if they fall for that one I am going to ask them if they sell PickleSniffers. I don't know if I could say PickleSniffer with a straight face though.
    Grid squares sounds like floor tiling to me. Picklesniffers sounds like homos.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Just a note on car batteries. Automotive car batteries can work just fine, the difference is they are not designed to discharge completely. A deep cycle can be run dead, get a charge and work fine but for longest life, never completely discharge it. Try not to go below 20%. A standard car battery cannot be fully discharged more than a few times until it's shot. If you only run a car battery down to no more than 50%, it will recharge and work fine for a long time.
    Last edited by Malsua; October 20th, 2009 at 13:46.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    Just a note on car batteries. Automotive car batteries can work just fine, the difference is they are not designed to discharge completely. A deep cycle can be run dead, get a charge and work fine but for longest life, never completely discharge it. Try not to go below 20%. A standard car battery cannot be fully discharged more than a few times until it's shot. If you only run a car battery down to no more than 50%, it will recharge and work fine for a long time.
    My only concern with car batteries is something most people wouldn't consider... that the newer cars have computers that function ALL the time, there's a constant current drain on them even when the vehicle is off. That means over a couple of years that battery WILL be dead and drained completely.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Rick, that is a definite problem. My 08 Honda often sits for months with that red security light flashing all the time. I've considered adding a solar trickle charger to it.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Yep

It's really not something people think about. All the newer cars and trucks have computers. They pull a constant current and certainly if you stick a small solar panel, say in the window or something and run it through to the battery, that's going to keep the car battery charged.

Make sure though, that you put in a blocking diode in the circuit because you don't want the car battery to DISCHARGE through the solar panel!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Exactly the reason I hate ALL those big box places. The worst in Home Depot.

Grid squares sounds like floor tiling to me. Picklesniffers sounds like homos.
    LOL

A grid square is on a map and I aint sure what a pickle sniffer is, but it does sound kinda funny and I don't mean ha ha. No wait, it is funny ha ha too!
    Beetle - Give me liberty or give me something to aim at.

A monster lies in wait for me
    A stew of pain and misery
    But feircer still in life and limb
    the me that lays in wait for him

Hey liberal!

You can't handle the truth!

Thanks

OK, that must have been what happened to me. I put my car battery on the charger one night cause my car wouldn't start and the battery would not charge. So, it must have been shot. Well, that gave me the idear that car bateries won't charge. Good stuff to know here folks! I know I have thanked y'all before, but again I msut thank you for the data.

Hey liberal!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Car batteries will recharge just fine... IF they haven't sat there too long and the cells fail. But remember in our scenario there are cars sitting all over the place, you're likely (with some work) to find one or two good or at least decent batteries.

Remember a lot of folks have spare batteries aboard their motor homes and believe it or not, many of them will be deep cycle batteries. Another place to locate batteries (though most will be 6V instead of 12, so you might have to get some and put them in series) are golf carts. Those too, are generally deep cycle batteries.

Marinas with boats. Those should be marine/deep cycle batteries

Field expedient solar panel? You're not going to do that most likely. Find an existing solar panel and just use that to charge your batteries. Remember you will need to disconnect them at night (yes some have diodes to prevent discharge back through the panel from the battery, but don't count on that).
    There are several golf carts and ATV's in the camp ground here. Lot's of folks have them here. There is also boat storage units all around the area. I would go through these storage units and get what I could use. If it wasn't four years into our scenerio, I would also gather the gas up and use it on my own boat. Come to think about it, in this scenerio, I would probably even get me a new bass boat! Just kiddin, because I am not a thief. But I would say in this kind of role play, you are not stealing in this situation. You are surviving. If I died before others, I would want them to use my stuff to survive.

Hey liberal!

Thanks

I'm not a thief either, but, in this scenario, I'm certainly getting me a new boat. Hell, who is gonna stop me? Or use it? Me.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    I'm not a thief either, but, in this scenario, I'm certainly getting me a new boat. Hell, who is gonna stop me? Or use it? Me.
    Yup, but I think when you go looking for stuff, you need to be real careful and recon the area. There may be other survivors thinking the same as you and you may want to be careful of them.

Also, I was thinking about this. Say you aquired a horse and you wanted to feed him. They have big bails of hay all over this area. The feed the horses with them. I wonder how long those things could sit before they go bad. I think the bails get moldy after a while.

Hey liberal!

Thanks

going back to what Beetle said before...

I wonder if signs will help.

With a board below it that says "They're all hidden, keep walking, you'll find 'em" in red spray paint.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to just own some bear traps.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

going back to what Beetle said before...

I wonder if signs will help.

With a board below it that says "They're all hidden, keep walking, you'll find 'em" in red spray paint.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to just own some bear traps.
    Might want that written in Russian, Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, and Farsi.

Hey liberal!

Thanks

Maybe we could just do stick figure drawings.

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Maybe we could just do stick figure drawings.

Hey liberal!

Thanks

Did you draw that Mal? If so, NIIIIICE work!!!

Hey liberal!

Thanks

Did you draw that Mal? If so, NIIIIICE work!!!
    Yes I did. LOL.

That is genuinely about as good as I can draw.

It's so bad, it looks like a 4yo did it, which is what makes it funny.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Yes I did. LOL.

That is genuinely about as good as I can draw.

It's so bad, it looks like a 4yo did it, which is what makes it funny.
    LOL It kilt me. And I had a feeling you did it too. That was

Hey liberal!

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

This is a continuation of the narrative I posted at the top of Thread Page 2. Rick, if you would rather I didn't post this type of hypothetical writing here, would you let me know. This one is a bit more speculative, a bit more fantastical. I hope it lends some level of use for this thread.

Briggs snapped awake. The violence of the unknown interruption erased all fatigue from his mind. He never really slept that well anyway. Something had invaded his not-so- REM-sleep, something unknown. And “unknown” immediately translated to “threat” in the extant world of death and devastation.

*Snap* He rotated to locate the noise, scanning the darkness for any sign of movement. It was dark, coal mine dark without the oil lamps. The wind was blowing, just strong enough to disrupt sensory input. He thought he could hear someone (something?) moving through the dried prairie grass. Certain not to move a muscle, he listened with the acuity of a military scout. He made out a human voice whispered to at least one other person. He now knew what he was up against.

Briggs made camp on the west-facing side of Davidson Mesa just below the ridgeline as the sunset bathed the land in its fiery light. He settled against a grouping of large sandstone boulders along a steep slope that overlooked ninety-five percent of the Boulder Valley. The city, the university and all the homes of the upper crust were obliterated, replaced with twisted black destruction.

The five-hundred kiloton nuke that visited its ruin upon Boulder, a Russian SS-27 Topol-M, originated from a mobile launch vehicle deep in the Siberian wasteland. The single warhead penetrated US airspace above Wyoming and air burst detonated a few minutes later over the Pearl Street Mall killing one hundred thousand Boulderites instantly. The hotspot at ground zero, soil, cars, building materials and groundwater activated by the initial nuclear radiation, had barely faded, even after four years. The hazardous radius around the blast point wasn’t enormous but deserved respect nonetheless. Briggs would skirt the edge of what would have been the southern limits of Boulder and head for Eldorado Canyon.

The intruders closed in on his small encampment up the slope from the west. The starlight backlit two figures long enough for Briggs to pinpoint a fix. Two people, close formation, slightly crouched and climbing toward his vantage point. He waited in hiding until they drew close, twenty feet… nowhere to run. He depressed the trigger on the pump action 870, discharging a single round of the precious double-ought buck into the ground at the feet of his adversaries. The round echoed like the concussion of a howitzer in the still of the night. Dirt and gravel flew everywhere. Both prowlers screamed in surprise and froze solid.

“You take another step and you’ll be bleeding.” Briggs circled around the far side of the largest boulder. “Turn toward me and sit cross legged with your hands in the air. If you move – I mean even the slightest twitch – you’ll be spouting holes you never had before.”

He cut two three foot lengths of rope from a coil attached to his ruck. He handed one length to intruder number-one, “Tie your friend’s hands.” The figure complied. Briggs tied up number-one and checked number-two’s rigging before forcing them apart from each other, face down in the rocky soil. He did a quick body search for concealed weapons.

“Now talk! What are you doing up here? Are you scoping the area for one of the ten factions?”

“Factions? No. My brother and I saw you from a couple miles off, earlier today. Man, we haven’t talked with anyone in months. We just wanted to talk.”

Only then did Briggs realize he was putting the screws to two kids. “You’re kids. I can’t believe this.” He helped both boys back to a sitting position. “How old are you and what are your names?”

Number-one did all the talking. His entire body shook as he tried to explain, “I’m Kevin and this is my brother Jake. He’s fourteen and I’m sixteen.”

“Have you got any weapons on you?”

“Just a hunting knife, and you found that,” Kevin said.

“You’ve been surviving since the nukes with a hunting knife? I don’t believe you,” Briggs said.

“Well not exactly,” Kevin began to elaborate. “After everything went to hell, my parents and older sister were killed by the virus. I got real sick but somehow managed to survive. Jake never picked up even one symptom. After a week, I got better. Real sudden like. It was if something in my body kicked the virus out. One day I had a 104 fever and puking everywhere, the next day, I felt a lot better.”

Briggs looked at the boys, his skeptical nature showing through. He waved his right hand in a circular motion as if to say, “Tell me more.”

“We lived with our parents up Coal Creek Canyon. After our parents died, we survived for about two months on the food and water we had stored. When the food ran out, we realized that we needed to change our plan. We took day trips from the house over that two month period, trying to find food, supplies and answers.”

“What answers,” Briggs demanded.

“Anything. What’d happened? Who was still alive? Was there any law or government left that could help us? Like that,” Kevin said.

“What’d you find?”

“Well, we quickly discovered that most of the areas close in to the cities and bigger towns were crawling with the wild people. Do you know who I mean? The wild people?”

Briggs thought back to his first encounter with the roving mobs the boys called “the wild people.” He needed supplies one summer day four weeks after the missiles came and decided to explore what remained of Fort Lupton. He avoided the individuals and small groups of people staking claims on the more valuable stores and houses in the area. He kept to the shadows and moved only when no one was looking. He gathered all he could find in a one hour period of time. Not wanting to be a victim of his own carelessness, Briggs walked quickly with his stash for the outskirts.

The sun was setting and the shadows started to play tricks on his eyes. He was only a few hundred yards from the nearest farm field when he heard what sounded like a human howl. The call was answered by yells and screams from a larger group a bit further away. He hit the dirt and crawled on his stomach to a rusted hulk that was once an old tow truck rig. Hidden in the shadows beneath the burned out truck, Briggs peered out to witness a scene that caused him great distress.

The mob had captured a man from somewhere in the business district and dragged him toward a large Quonset hut set back off the main road. The man, gaunt and malnourished, was struggling to get free but was no match for the mass of distorted humanity that held him captive. After reaching the Quonset hut, the mob turned vicious. Briggs saw only a fraction of what really happened. The captive’s screams coupled with Briggs’ imagination provided sufficient description. Rumors circulated among the rational people that the wild mobs consisted of people somehow infected with a mutated strain of the virus. They were reasonable, sensible citizens who were altered by the mutant strain just enough to distort their collective reality. Unable to think in a lucid manner, the wild people often resorted to cannibalism. They were to be avoided at all costs.

“Yeah, I know all about the mobs,” Briggs answered. “You need to stay away from them. What else did you learn on your fact finding missions?”

“We ran into groups of people patrolling the Front Range region. They appeared to be assembled under some kind of formal leadership. We were told later that these groups were known as factions. Green Faction exercises control over what remains of Boulder. Gray Faction… Longmont, I-25 and Erie.”

“Yup, that’s correct,” Briggs said. “There are at least ten factions controlling the sectors surrounding Denver. The overall leadership, if you can call it that, lies with a warlord named Kresh. No one that I’ve spoken with knows where his headquarters is. Some say he holes up in a bunker near the old airport. Others are convinced he’s in the mountains… Idaho Springs or Genesee. I’ve got my suspicions. It’s not relevant, though. Fact is, even with ongoing wars between the factions, Kresh and his Black Faction are in control. Many have died in his quest for power. Of this you can be certain.”

“Who are you?” Kevin asked. “Are you a member of a faction?”

“I’m nobody. You should learn what questions not to ask, kid.”

“I didn’t mean any harm,” Kevin said. “Jake and I have been on our own for a long time now. We were approached by members of the Blue Faction. They wanted us to join them in return for protection, shelter and regular meals.”

“Why didn’t you?” Briggs wondered aloud.

“There was something not quite right about their offer. They were hiding something. We heard enough rumors of forced servitude and slave labor within the factions to give us concern. We managed to evade Blue’s coercion and keep to ourselves ever since.”

“Why seek out other people now? What’s changed since then?” Briggs had a ray of compassion for the brothers. His constant vigilance would never subside, but as his thoughts returned to Will and Sarah, his heart melted just a little.

“Look mister, we’re lonely and barely getting by. It gets harder every day to find food. We need to be part of a family, a community. A group of people we can be dedicated to. Do you know what I mean?”

“I do.” Briggs stared off into the distance toward the brightening horizon as if trying to recollect what it was like to be a part of a family. It wasn’t clear, but the memories were there.

“I know what you’re getting at, Kevin.” Briggs said. “Part of me would like the same exact thing. I’m headed into the mountains in search of just such a community. You can come with me if you want.”

“You serious?” Kevin said. Both boys looked hopeful.

“Yeah. You can come along on one condition.”

“Name it,” Kevin said.

“You’ve got to listen to me. I’m in charge of our little group. The moment you start to freelance, I’m out of here and you guys are on your own again. You willing to make that sacrifice?”

Kevin looked at Jake. The silent conversation between them reached a conclusion. “We are.”

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

MinutemanCO,

I can not encourage you enough to pursue a writing career.

Seriously.

Great stuff.

Thread Information