Thread: XX Winter Olympics 2006

Thanks

Default XX Winter Olympics 2006

Checking, charging, scoring with 2-men down penalty serving. Yes, it's womens hockey! Team USA wins it over Switzerland shut out 6 to zip!
    What a great game! The first of 3 they will play and win, well, I haven't seen the Canadian strength yet, but with the way Team USA dominated and won the victory against a talented Swiss goalie (and a few bad calls), well, it's looking pretty darn good to me.
    Team USA...

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: XX Winter Olympics 2006

<--- Looking forward to the USA-Russia men's hockey game on 02/21!

Thanks

2/21, I'll be looking forward to that game, too, Ryan.

So newbie Italy was crushed by Canada with a new Olympic record: 16-0 shut out. Canada and USA are the best teams in the womens games this year. The Canadians have a good team, they played unselfishly throughout the game, even though they didn't have to. A hat trick by Ouellette in the first 7 minutes of the game! Canada kept control of the puck but I think at times they seemed sloppy. Excellent passing though. All the same, I think goaltending is a big deal. Meaning I think that Swiss team has the possibility of an upset. And Canada wouldn't have broken a record if they hadn't been playing Italy. Back to single digits next game. All the way Team USA!

Thanks

2 games 2 shutouts for Team USA! Today's victory over Germany was 5-0. Playing with heart, Sarah Parsons tucks that puck right into the corner of the net and crashes right into the boards! 60 shots on goal. Yesterday it was 56. It was a pretty good game. Upcoming game will be against Finland. No worries.

Check this out: http://www.angelaruggiero.com/

Now let's talk about our main competition: Canada. Every player scored at least one point today against Russia. Both Augosta and Piper with hat tricks. Victors with a 12-0 shutout. Just watching them play was like something created to be perfectly executed on film. Seriously. They are that good. I've gotta say, I'd put my $ on Canada for the gold. Even though they haven't had to test their defense yet.

This is the first time in my life I've ever seen women's hockey of any sort. So I'm having a blast! I love it. The women have full face protection, and they take a few more falls than the guys. Other than that, they are ever bit genuine hockey players. Oh, and after they play hard, they freely smile, unlike most of the men who carry that intent look while waiting to hit the ice.

Thanks

:ttiwwp:
    So who can help me out with this? Choose a couple for each day, Saturday and Sunday and post them and I will love you forever! They are saved from Fox Sports, just let me know and I'll send them to you.

Thanks

Go ahead and e-mail them to me and I'll put them up on the server.

I will eventually get some image uploading software added to the board. Not sure when but, I will.

Thanks

Here are the pictures Theresa sent me:

Thanks

Americans rally to beat Finns
    The United States rallied for five goals in the third period to defeat Finland 7-3 in the final game of the opening programme of the Olympic women's ice hockey Tuesday.
    AFP
    FILIPPO MONTEFORTE
    Angela Ruggiero and Sarah Parsons scored two goals each for the Americans who had their hands full with the Finns until finally seizing control.
    Finland led 3-2 heading into the final period but couldn't hold the lead as they were outshot 31-15 overall but got solid goaltending from Maija Hassinen.
    Finland finished with a 2-1 record above Germany and Switzerland.
    The Americans were a perfect 3-0 as they outscored their opponents 18-3 in the preliminary round.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/name/public...rinDirect/news

Thanks

U.S. ties Latvia in Olympic opener
    Gionta, Conroy score first period goals in disappointing start for Americans
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9535369/

Oh darn. I didn't get to see the game. Canada has my favorite player as a captain, though. Wish Sakic and the rest of the Aves were playing for USA. With my work schedule, I won't be able to see all I'd like to, so I can't say much except that Russia has always been great and Canada has some good players. Those would be my two picks for the finals.

Thanks

Hey! It's my man...
    Sakic helps Canada beat Germany 5-1
    Joe Sakic scored a power-play goal as Canada tallied three times in the first 11 minutes en route to a 5-1 win over Germany in the preliminary round of the Olympic hockey tournament on Thursday.
    AFP
    DON EMMERT
    Defending Olympic champions Canada is 2-0 after winning easily over host Italy 7-2 on Wednesday.
    Dany Heatley, Simon Gagne, Wade Reddon and Shane Doan also scored for Canada at the Palasport Olimpico arena.
    Christian Erhoff scored for Germany which trailed by period scores of 3-0 and 4-1.
    Canadian goaltender Roberto Luongo, whose father was born in Italy, was steady in goal for Canada.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/name/public...rinDirect/news

But I think most here like this better:
    U.S. men rebound with win over Kazakhstan

Americans score three goals in first period to take control early

Pool / Reuters
    Mike Modano, left, and Mathieu Schneider celebrate after the U.S. scored in the first period against Kazakhstan. The U.S. beat Kazakhstan 4-1 to improve their record to 1-0-1.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11388323/

Thanks

U.S. women on wrong side of hockey history

Sweden rides hot goalie to shootout win, spot in gold-medal game Monday

Maria Rooth beats U.S. goaltender Chanda Gunn for the deciding goal to give Sweden the shootout win in the women's hockey semifinals Friday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11390948/

Yes, that's what they say. USA was outgunned in a shoot-out. But the truth of the matter is that Sweden had the better goalie.

Team USA will play Finland for the bronze. And Canada will win the gold over Sweden, who have definately earned the Silver medal. I don't have to work Monday, yiha! I will get to watch both games!

Thanks

Just making sure this one stays on record for history sake:

HBO's Gumbel: Lack of Blacks Makes Olympics 'Look Like a GOP Convention'

Posted by Dave Pierre on February 16, 2006 - 00:58. There were some eye-opening remarks from Bryant Gumbel on the most recent episode of HBO's Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel. According to a transcript posted by a television columnist named Seth Frelich, Gumbel said the following in his closing monologue last week (emphasis mine):
    "Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention. Try not to point out that something’s not really a sport if a pseudo-athlete waits in what’s called a kiss-and-cry area, while some panel of subjective judges decides who won ... So if only to hasten the arrival of the day they’re done, when we can move on to March Madness — for God’s sake, let the games begin."
    Video clip (31 secs), from the Real Sports originally aired February 7, as provided by the MRC's Brent Baker: Real (665 KB), Windows Media (1 MB) or MP3 audio (185 KB).
    The comments have received scant coverage, with the San Francisco Chronicle (in a betting column) and The Columbus Dispatch (in a "People in the News" column) among the few outlets that have even mentioned the episode.
    http://newsbusters.org/node/4057

He said what???!!!???

Well, sorry dude, but the Olympics is only for the best. I didn't ever find it a racial issue until you made it one, Bry. Nobody is preventing any blacks from being there. So maybe that means that the only things blacks can do well that is acceptable is dance and shoot hoops??? How do YOU like that?

You get to say what you want, but we all know that white men can't do the same. Or white women. Harping on "the blacks" or lack thereof is racist, and yes, you clearly are one. And as for sticking the republican party analogy in your comments, let me just say that I disagree with you there, too. I don't happen to believe that all blacks are stupid.

Thanks

What an awesome day of men's hockey! Talk about battling! Good defense, goaltending, and tough, tough games. USA has to win it tomorrow. What main thing that I notice in the men's games-- and as a consequence I am unable to make any sort of determination about medal prospects, is that the refs make a big difference. Some of them let just about anything go. Others are so strict as to call penalties and have somebody in the box at any time throughout a game. So it seems you really have to be on top of who the ref is to play a winning game on top of everything else. Anyway, I'm hoping for Canada. Here's a try at posting the stats:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9535369/
    winter olympics
    Men’s hockey standings

Group A
    WLTPtsGFGA
    Finland3006152
    Switzerland210457
    Canada2104125
    Czech Republic120288
    Germany0211512
    Italy0211516
    Group B
    WLTPtsGFGA
    Slovakia3006137
    Russia210495
    Sweden2104138
    United States111386
    Latvia0211715
    Kazakhstan0300312
    Top four teams in each division advance to quarterfinals (A1 vs. B4, B2 vs. A3, B1 vs. A4, A2 vs. B3). Seedings determined by most points. Head-to-head matchup first tiebreaker, followed by goal differential.

Thanks

Dang it! Missed the USA-RUS hockey game... Grrr...

Then come to find out we LOST by one goal!

Oh well, we still lead Russia in overall medals (we're tied at 7 golds a piece though).

Thanks

I missed that game, too, Ryan. And the finals for the womens teams. I called the wins on all of those accurately, btw. I have to say that I did see several of the mens games and both USA and CANADA played badly. It did not surprise me that they are out. Sad but true. Tomorrow hopefully I'll get to see some great hockey. If those four teams play with the heart and the determination that they have been, two awesome hockey games are coming.

Thanks

Sweden wins it 7-3 over the Czech team. Finland kicks butt again, this time over Russia for a shut-out 4-0. Tomorrow Russia plays against Czechs for the bronze. Sunday the other two teams play for the gold. My predictions are: good-bye Russia, Czech Team takes bronze, Sweden earns silver, and Finland takes gold. The fins have played 7 and won 7. The trend, since admitting NHL into the Olympics, is for a non-losing team to lose the gold; but despite Sweden playing outstanding hockey, the Fins are all heart, relentlessly physical, and the only thing the Swedish team has on them that I can see is the goaltending. With great defense going for Finland, that won't be much of a factor in my opinion, unless it comes down to a shoot-out.

Thanks

Sweden captures Olympic hockey gold

Associated Press
    Posted: 3 hours ago

The big Swedish three aren't going home to celebrate. They're not heading to Vancouver for a repeat in four years, either.

This was the moment for Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin and Nicklas Lidstrom.

And they sealed it in the most perfect of ways: Forsberg to Sundin to Lidstrom for a blistering slap shot that was truly golden.
    "I kind of knew it was our last chance, and this is the way we wanted to go out," Forsberg said.
    Lidstrom's goal, coming just 10 seconds into the third period, snapped a tie and sent Sweden to a 3-2 victory over Finland on Sunday in the men's hockey final.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5363284

What an awesome game! Both the Swedes and the Fins earned their medals. It was a first period defense game, a second period powerplay game, and a third period of, no kidding, broken sticks. 3 of them, rotten luck for the Fins, and in my opinion might have been the difference between the gold and the silver. But in any case, history has been made and Forsberg, you are the king, sir!

Sweden gold Finland silver Czech Republic bronze

Last edited by Aplomb; February 27th, 2006 at 04:47.

Thread Information