1 16.67%
  • Something Else

5 83.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Vehicle?

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default What Vehicle?

Probably in June next year, I'm going to quit work and go back to school fulltime.

There is no financial aid available to me except loans, and I'm gonna try and make it as long as possible without borrowing money.

My F250 diesel is a great vehicle, but it's not efficient. The maintenance is freaking expensive.

So I need a cost effective pick up truck that will last 5 years.

What would be your choice?

Thanks

Default Re: What Vehicle?

OK.

What is the "something else?"

Thanks

Question the original question.

It's what I did when I bought my new vehicle this year.

Is the truck paid for? Why is the maint high? Mileage? I need a 4x4 but not all the time, I need a vehicle to haul stuff, but not all the time. These are the things that factor in.

So, can you use the truck when you need it and drive something that isn't such a maintenance drain? I found that my WRX, sporty, fun and freaking FAST was 10k cheaper than replacing my Axiom with a new SUV. So I kept my old truck and now put all the big miles on the new ride. The truck still does what it needs but I don't have tires, brakes, and shitty gas mileage when I'm doing the bulk of my commute.

Even if you need something that can haul a bit more than a car(small SUV), you can probably get something MUCH cheaper. You'll still have your truck when you need to haul something heavy or bulky.

Shrug, something to think about.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Jeep, dude...

NM you wouldn't understand, it's a Jeep Thing. hehe
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Jeep, dude...

NM you wouldn't understand, it's a Jeep Thing. hehe
    Yeah, no one understands. It's mental illness.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Mal,

Most of it is reliability.

I thought my research was adequate, but I missed a lot of the problems with the 6.0 liter diesel. Some places state most of the bugs have been worked out.

In all the years of buying and driving new cars, not one single time has one broken. This truck has left me stranded twice. I freaking hate that.

The last breakdown would have cost me approximately $750.00, but was covered by my warranty, as was the towing.

I'm eligible to purchase and additional extended warranty for $1800.00 or so. If I keep it, I obviously will buy that.

Last oil change was $73.56, and the 60K mile maintenance was $434.84.

Parts are very expensive.

Gas mileage/price is also an issue.

Trading it in may be a problem due to the economy; people don't want big trucks. I'd lose my rear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    lol
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Your problems sound about like where mine was heading. I put around 2k into it this year in repairs...it's been paid off. It's going to need new brakes in the next 10k or so. At the rate it's getting miles now...it won't get 10k before it hits the junk yard. It will however do all the heavy stuff I need it for. That's my point.

Diesels trucks are expensive for maintenance...a buddy has a F350 Diesel. He bought my old 92 honda(37k miles on it) and parked the truck. The Honda paid for itself in 6 months. He still uses the truck...to haul his 5th wheel or pick up stuff from Home Depot...he drives the Honda to work.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Why are diesel so expensive to maintain? Seriously, all I have been reading is that diesel engines are the EASIEST engines in the world to repair or keep running. For the most part, they are completely bullet proof.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Diesel engine maintenance is more expensive. Oil changes are what...14 quarts?

Usually Diesels go into heavy duty vehicles so you're paying for Heavy Duty parts which also wear out faster than light duty cars.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I brought that up because... well, it's something on my list of things to learn.

Diesel mechanic. Boats mostly use them. I won't have a boat with gas.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Why are diesel so expensive to maintain? Seriously, all I have been reading is that diesel engines are the EASIEST engines in the world to repair or keep running. For the most part, they are completely bullet proof.
    The Ford 7.3 was a bullet proof, best diesel out there for PUs.

Guess some gov't regs were enacted, and they had to change the motor.

They went to the 6.0, and it's had quite a few probs.

For 2010, they have a new model. Thing is, to work on the engine you gotta remove the cab - the entire cab. Freaking genius.

As far as easy to work on, I have had every scheduled maint done on my truck, and the oil changed at no more than 5K miles. The guys working on it tell me it's not an easy vehicle to work on.

Basically from what they told me, the gov't regs ruined an absolute perfect system: the Ford 7.3 diesel.

Thanks

I drove a Ranger 4 banger today, and the damn thing could not get out of the way of its own shadow.

What a freaking pig.

Guess I'll get the 150. Got her all priced out, just need to think on it overnight.

Thanks

I worked at Ford, and one day got loaned out to the drive-off area, a little drag-strip at the end of assembly where we tested the seat-belts( grab both seat belts, one in each hand, nail the accelerator briefly til the tires smoke good then stand on the brakes and see if the belts grab) before driving to pre-delivery. The Ranger 4 cylinder, either auto or stick, was well-known as a boat anchor.

Thanks

I currently own 3 diesels. I had previously owned a (used) '84 MB 300SD, which ran nicely until its trunk got smashed in a little on NJ Turnpike. I donated it to the Purple Heart and a few years later found a very nice (no rust) '83 300D Turbo.

300D is designed to run on Autobahn at 85 all day. 23-25 mpg.

My wife drives GMC Sierra CrewCab 2001 (Duramax 6.6L). 200k miles. Runs and looks like new. Might replace it when odometer hits 1 million. Low maintanence. Better looking and better fuel milage than the current crop of GMC Duramaxes.
    You do not have to shell out 60k for a new one. You can probably find a clean 2001 or 2002 for less than 12k. Good luck. You get them and keep them!
    Last edited by Kosciuszko; November 7th, 2009 at 16:43. Reason: orth error

Thanks

I think you already pointed out the obvious, Backstop, in your initial post.
    You thought you had done the proper research but it turned out as time went by there were more problems than had surfaced at the time of your purchase. In my opinion, "new" doesn't always mean what it used to, quality wise. Surely you can apply an equal amount of effort researching "gently used" vehicles as well, knock off thousands at the start and still get a servicable vehicle. I mean, after all, we are talking truck here, not hauling the Queen of Siam around or something. I've never in 55 years bought new. I have a "beater" to get from here to there cheaply and a truck that will haul when needed. Wife has the "nice" car, and it's just a bigger beater! Former county police cruiser, 97 crown vic, ain't pretty but it'll go, 1500 at auction and we've been driving it over 5 years. Obviously, they break down from time to time, but you're thousands ahead even after most repairs and it it's too expensive a repair, dump it and move on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kosciuszko View Post
    You do not have to shell out 60k for a new one. You can probably find a clean 2001 or 2002 for less than 12k. Good luck. You get them and keep them!
    Man, I'd never pay $60k for a vehicle...HAHA!

My 2007 I ordered in May 2006, and took delivery in July 2006. I got exactly what I wanted on it, and paid just under $34K out the door, tag title, extended warranty, etc.

Glad you've had good luck. When I finish my schooling, more than likely I'll get another diesel - hopefully Ford will have the bugs worked out by then.

The price has already been settled, and I'm going to look at an F150 here shortly. It's not the color I want, but it will let me know if I want it, and to tell him to get the one we negotiated.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTStringer View Post
    I think you already pointed out the obvious, Backstop, in your initial post.
    You thought you had done the proper research but it turned out as time went by there were more problems than had surfaced at the time of your purchase. In my opinion, "new" doesn't always mean what it used to, quality wise. Surely you can apply an equal amount of effort researching "gently used" vehicles as well, knock off thousands at the start and still get a servicable vehicle. I mean, after all, we are talking truck here, not hauling the Queen of Siam around or something. I've never in 55 years bought new. I have a "beater" to get from here to there cheaply and a truck that will haul when needed. Wife has the "nice" car, and it's just a bigger beater! Former county police cruiser, 97 crown vic, ain't pretty but it'll go, 1500 at auction and we've been driving it over 5 years. Obviously, they break down from time to time, but you're thousands ahead even after most repairs and it it's too expensive a repair, dump it and move on.
    I do know that to a degree, I can get a reliable vehicle by buying used.

But I am an absolute stickler for reliability. If I wasn't I'd keep my diesel.

Once school starts, I'm not gonna have the time for vehicle repairs. Plus breaking down may make me miss a class. And that's not acceptable.

But your post really makes me think.

Thanks.

Thanks

I'm going back to my original "Jeep" comment, for as silly as you might have thought it to be, it's not.

I have had my jeep since 2000. It was new. I've never had a problem with it. Before that, I had a 15 year old jeep that I kept for about 8 years. Before that, another jeep that saved my wife and my lives in an accident (it was a 70s cherokee, a TANK).

Before that, I had several vehicles, none of which were jeeps, all of them literally fell apart after about 100k miles (or if I got them after 100k, I didn't keep them to 150K). They were various makes and models.

Here's why I like the Jeeps.

1) 4 wheel drive out of the box

2) the bigger version (like my Cherokee sport) are really "trucks" and can carry stuff. I can haul my boat with mine, though I don't like to, because the boat is 25 feet long + the trailer makes things 30' long and that's a bit scary on a freeway.

3) They are gas engines ( more efficient I guess... )

4) An older one isn't difficult to fix, though the newer ones are more difficult. My 2000 is the last year of ANYTHING I want to work on myself.

5) the engines they put in the older Jeeps, like the one my wife has (her's is a Sahara Wrangler, mine is a Jeep Cherokee Sport) --- both have the same engine, are damned near bulletproof.

That's just my plug for Jeeps.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information