Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost city of Atlantis discovered?

Thanks

Default Re: Lost city of Atlantis discovered?

Well... I never heard that no one didn't. LOL

I only know *I* saw some because I went there.

Remember there are a LOT of "Alternative explanations" to everything, from ancient magic, or science, electricity, or even that there are planets out there wandering around as home to Aliens who "created people".

I guess it comes down to who you listen to, how much of you swallow and if you don't have other sources to look over to compare against what you're hearing, then what you're hearing becomes real and truthful.

A prime example for me was books on UFOs. Before the internet, computers or forums like this, I was a book worm. I still have 10,000 books (literally) in my home. I used to spend hours and hours in the library, even after I got married my wife and I (she is the same way) spent sometimes 8 hours in a library on a weekend.

I read (as a kid) every book available on UFOs. I've read at LEAST two books by J. Allen Hynek that were 180 degrees out of phase. In his early days, he was an anti-UFOlogist. His later years found him on the opposite side.

Over the years many books on UFOs came out, NONE of them hardly were ever based on real science. Only what they could suppose might be happening.

Conclusions in many were wild and landed on the "US GOvernment KNOWS THEY ARE HERE BUT ARE LYING TO US" category.

If that was all you had to read (and sometimes it certainly was, because credible scientists didn't want to involve themselves) you naturally gravitated toward the neat, and clean "Alien Abductors" explanations.

Thus... having seen a lot of stuff on "No Soot" as part and parcel of the "pseudo science community" it is difficult to think "They found soot, so this is moot...."

See?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michael2 View Post
    I'm amused at the rigid orthodoxy of the 'UFO's must be extraterrestrial' camp and find the whole thing much stranger than such a simplistic explanation.
    For the record I'll say I'm not convinced that UFOs are aliens.

Could be.

They also could be demons, pissed of angels, etc.

I have yet to see any explanation prove, or disprove what they are, or are not.

Going back to the technology used to build the pyramids, etc.

I want to see some one say, "This is how they did it; this is the technology they used. And to prove it, I'm gonna guild another great pyramid, another Machu Picchu, another Valley of the Kings, etc."

Somebody show me the money.

To date, NO ONE has duplicated their effort.
    Last edited by Backstop; March 19th, 2011 at 01:06.

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

FOUND IT!!

Remember when I said there was an ancient building where there was no soot on the roof inside,and there were glyphs of possible light bulbs but I couldn't remember where it was?

It was in Dendera.

These 2 pics are from the Hathor Temple at the Dendera Temple Complex located in Egypt.

Some info: http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_lights_fd1.htm

Fact of fiction - I haven't found proof one way or the other.

Thanks

Trying to get the site to come up now.

My experience was in actual tombs in the Valley of the King. King Tut's tomb, Ramses IV and a few others.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Hehehehe snake lights. I see them. LOL!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well... another lost Atlantis has been found...

Ancient lost continent discovered lounging on Mauritius beach

Boffins turn up trace of sunken Atlantis-like place at holiday spot
    By Brid-Aine ParnellGet more from this author
    Posted in Science, 25th February 2013 14:28 GMT
    Free whitepaper – Network & Cloud: The Landscape is Changing

Fragments of an ancient microcontinent lie beneath holiday destinations Mauritius and Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, experts say.

The pair of isles are thought to sit on top of the hidden continent, dubbed Mauritia by scientists. The boffins believe the splinter of buried land became a separate landmass 60 million years ago when Madagascar and Indian drifted apart after the breakup of the supercontinent Rodinia.

Mauritius: Sun, sea, hidden continents (Credit: Mauritius government)

All the land on Earth was once gathered in this supercontinent until giant bubbles of hot rock known as mantle plumes softened the tectonic plates from below. Eventually, the plates broke up at the hotspots, which is how Eastern Gondwana broke apart 170 million years ago. That mass separated into Madagascar, India, Australia and Antarctica, which migrated to their positions in the modern world.

When mantle plumes occur at the edge of a landmass, small fragments can break off to form island groups such as the Seychelles.
    A group of geoboffins now think that further fragments of Mauritia exist below the waves: a sunken continent much like a certain mythological landmass that springs to mind.

The scientists examined lava sand grains from Mauritius' beaches and found semi-precious zircon aged between 660 million and 1,970 million years, which would suggest that it was carried by lava as it pushed through the continental crust.

The experts also modelled the plate tectonics to calculate exactly where and how the Mauritia pieces ended up in the Indian Ocean. Those fragments were previously interpreted as just the trail of the Reunion island hotspot because they were covered in volcanic rock.

Athanasius Kircher's map of Atlantis c. 1669
    (North is at the bottom)

"On the one hand, it shows the position of the plates relative to the two hotspots at the time of the rupture, which points towards a causal relation," Bernhard Steinberger of the GFZ German Research Cetnre for Geosciences said.

"On the other hand, we were able to show that the continent fragments continued to wander almost exactly over the Reunion plume, which explains how they were covered by volcanic rock."

The boffins did not say whether the lost continent was that of Atlantis, Mu or Lemuria.

The team, also from Oslo University, the University of Liverpool and the University of Witwatersrand in South Africa, published their study, A Precambrian microcontinent in the Indian Ocean in Nature Geoscience. ®
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Ancient Micro-continent Found Lying Underneath Mauritius in Indian Ocean

First Posted: Feb 24, 2013 07:46 PM EST

(Photo : Flickr/Klabbo) Scientists said today that they had found traces of a micro-continent hidden underneath the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius

Could there have been 8 continents all along and we are just finding out about it now? Scientists have discovered a hidden micro-continent that was sandwiched between southern India and Madagascar for several hundred million years and now lies at the bottom of the ocean underneath the island of Mauritius.

The research team from Norway, South Africa, Germany and the UK identified the ancient "micro-continent" after analyzing beach sands from the island of Mauritius and gravity measurements in the Indian Ocean region to reconstruct plate tectonics. The reconstruction showed that India's Lakshadweep islands and Mauritius were both once part of this micro-continent.

Like Us on Facebook
    The scientists have named the micro-continent "Mauritia" and helps explain the origin of the Seychelles, which have "long been considered a geological peculiarity", the team reports in the journal Nature Geoscience.

The plate tectonics reconstruction suggests that Mauritia was tucked between southern India and Madagascar which about 750 million years ago lay between latitudes 30° North and 50° North.

"This is an unexpected discovery, never proposed before," Lewis Ashwal, a senior geologist and a study team member from the University of Witwatersrand in South Africa, told The Telegraph.

Professor Trond Torsvik, from the University of Oslo, Norway, said: "We found zircons that we extracted from the beach sands, and these are something you typically find in a continental crust. They are very old in age."

The zircon dated to between 1,970 and 600 million years ago, and the team concluded that they were remnants of ancient land that had been dragged up to the surface of the island during a volcanic eruption.

The study suggests that about 83 million years ago, soon after magmatic activity in the region, India along with Seychelles and some Mauritian continental fragments separated from Madagascar while Mauritius remained with Madagascar.

"We can't say when India precisely lost (connection with) Mauritia," Ashwal said. Scientists say tectonic and volcanic activity would have led to the submergence of Mauritia. "Undersea volcanoes lead to the spread of the ocean floor - this expanded the ocean that submerged Mauritia," said Mamilla Venkateshwarlu, a scientist at the NGRI, Hyderabad, who has been studying 1,100 million year old rocks in India to determine its position in the supercontinent Rodinia.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Prehistoric Continent Discovered in Indian Ocean

By Agnisheik Chatterji: Subscribe to Agnisheik's RSS feed
    February 25, 2013 2:26 PM GMT

Scientists claim to have found a portion of an ancient 'mini-continent' underneath the Indian Ocean that was wedged between India and Madagascar, and subsequently got detached when the two countries drifted apart to resemble the modern world as it is now.

The strip of land, known as Mauritia, drifted apart from Eastern Gondwana, as it was known then, and sunk beneath the waves about 60 million years ago.

A group of geoscientists from Norway, Germany, Britain and South Africa published their new study in the latest monthly issue of Nature Geoscience explaining their methodology of finding the ancient continent off Africa submerged under huge masses of lava. Their theory redefines the conventional premise of continent drifting and tectonic plates based on mantle pluming and lava hotspots.
    Land on earth was all huddled together in a super continental called Rodinia.

Discovering Mauritia, the Ancient Continent

The researchers concluded that they had found a sliver of an ancient continent when they were researching grains of sand from the beaches of Mauritius. During their research, they found that the grains dated back to a volcanic eruption which occurred nine million years ago. However, on a closer look, they found particles that predated the volcanic eruption as well.

Professor Trond Torsvik from University of Oslo, Norway, said, "We found zircons that we extracted from the beach sands, and these are something you find typically in a continental crust. They are very old in age."

The zircon, name of the ancient particles found during the research, dated between 1,970 and 600 million years ago. The scientists concluded that the ancient particles must have been spouted up by the volcanic eruption. Hence, the presence of zircon on Mauritian beaches.

Torsvik is of the opinion that fragments of the lost island would be found 10 km beneath the Indian Ocean.

The New Theory of Continental Drifting

The new study also said that the lost continents submerged underneath the sea seem to occur more frequently than earlier thought. According to their theory, the breakup of continents is directly linked with mantle plumes. Giant hot rocks spout out from the deep mantle, which in the long run softens the tectonic plates from below, forcing the plates to drift apart from the hotspots.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Maybe THIS one is it?

Traces of prehistoric supercontinent discovered off the coast of Brazil

Is it the lost city of Atlantis?

Photo credit: atlantis.haktanir.org

Science Recorder | Rick Docksai | Wednesday, May 08, 2013

It’s not the legendary Atlantis, but researchers are claiming to have found traces of a long-lost continent buried in the Atlantic Ocean near Brazil. The researchers announced on Tuesday that samples of rock from the site appear to be remnants of Pangea, the prehistoric supercontinent from which the Americas, Africa, and other present-day land masses eventually emerged... To continue reading, subscribe to Science Recorder today.

Read more: http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...#ixzz2TIIXiDR0

===========================
    Atlantis found near Brazil

Japanese press claims

09 May 2013 16:06 | by Nick Farrell in Rome

Japanese scientists claim to have found the lost city of Atlantis the seabed off the coast of Rio de Janeiro, at least if you believe the Japanese media.

The Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology and the Brazilian government have confirmed that they have found a lump of granite which normally forms only on dry land.

Apparently this is strong evidence that a continent used to exist in the area where the legendary island of Atlantis, mentioned in antiquity by Plato in his philosophical dialogues, was supposedly located.

Atlantis was supposed to have been a highly developed civilization, but the story goes it sunk into the sea around 12,000 years ago. No trace of it has ever been found it and it is mostly taken seriously by New Agers who think that they had a lifetime there as a Priest of the Sun, or a Priestess of the Moon.

It is strange that the Japanese press is so keep to tie the lump of rock to Atlantis as the Shinkai 6500 manned submersible operated by the Japanese agency has not exactly found any human made structures.

While they have found a granite mass which is estimated to have sunk into the sea several tens of million years ago, it is not exactly the pyramids of a high tech civilisation.

The rock was found on the the Rio Grande Rise, a seabed more than 1,000 km southeast of Rio de Janeiro. At a depth of 910 meters, it found a rock cliff around 10 meters in height and breadth.

The area around it was a large volume of quartz sand, which is also not formed in the sea and the bedrock is believed to consist mainly of basalt rock.

The rise stretches around 1,000 km at the widest point, and is considered part of the continent left behind when South America and Africa split apart more than 100 million years ago.

It would have been above sea level until about 50 million years ago but became submerged over a period spanning several million years.

Shinichi Kawakami, a professor at Gifu University said the granite could have been a part of a big continent before it separated into what is now Africa and South America.

"The concept of Atlantis came way before geology of the modern age was established. We should not jump to the Atlantis conclusion right away," he warned. The Japanese press already jumped to that conclusion, but also vaulted well past it.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I just took a good look at the map.

It is either "South is up" or it's actually the Pacific. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information