Thread: Book of Eli (Spoilers)

Thanks

Default Book of Eli (Spoilers)

There does not seem to be a "spoilers" tag on this forum so hopefully you headed the warning of the title.

For those of you Christian/Post-Apocalyptic/Survivalist types, this movie is perfect for you. I was actually hoping for more "survivalist mode" scenes but don't let my desire for more deter you from seeing a movie already full of survival scenes.

This movie definitely puts you in the frame of mind that a small bottle of shampoo is god send after years of not taking a hot shower. Another thing that the movie touched on was water. I've always been curious about how to purify water and how to find fresh water. how to determine if water is contaminated. etc etc.

Of course, those with weapons (preferably guns) had "control" (another curiosity i have).

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it and what their take on it was.

Thanks

Default Re: Book of Eli (Spoilers)

Not yet. Probably will see it.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

i just watched The Road last night as well. can't say i'm in the best of moods after watching it. but i do like the realism that is portrayed of post-apocalyptic society.

out of those of you who watched The Road, what do you think the catastrophe was? my best guess is either volcano (tectonic plate activity) or a series of meteorites.

Thanks

Book of Eli

Simply... underwhelming.

Ok, in a good sort of way.

The world is barely existing after some kind of nuclear war, people fighting and killing for nearly nothing. A man traveling across the country with a book, a very, very special book who has heard a voice tell him to do this deed.

His travels take him past an enclave of bad guys who want his book. Well, one of them wants his book. The others can't read.

The background, the setting was dark enough, and mostly was in an off-color color to give the effect of bright sun light, and desolation across the United States. Everything was desert. Water more scarce than diamonds. Water and batteries worth something, so was shampoo. Not sure about diamonds, but doubtful.

I won't spoil the story, but the acting was decent. The storyline was a simple thing, survival from day to day. There were no graphics or visuals that were outstanding other than the entire movie being filmed in whatever sort of filters they used on the cameras.

Over all, about three on a scale of five.
    Acting about four.
    Filmography a two point five.

Over all, a good waste of money. I'm glad I went there with three large Tank Buster Browns in my belly. I felt "good" for the whole movie.

The ONE good thing, they held the Scripture in VERY HIGH REGARD! Good on them. Good on Hollyweird for once.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I agree with Rick, 3 out of 5 stars. I'm a huge game of both Denzel and Gary Oldman, that went a long way in salvaging this movie. Mila Kunis gets hotter every time I see her. Not that its a bad movie to begin with, just steeped in all of the post apocalyptic Hollywood cliches. The biggest problem I usually have is what comes across as a low budget. The locations are always some crap town in the middle of nowhere, run by some tyrannical loser who's only qualification is their iq is 2 points higher than the next smartest guy. And you almost never get more than a vague explanation as to how things got this way to begin with. Usually an allusion to nuclear war or environmental disaster. They almost never depict realistic scenarios so as a result it has to devolve into some type of action movie. That was cool 30 years ago with Mad Max, not so much today. Kevin Costner knows all about this.

Sorry to go off on a rant. This movie, overall, is not bad. Exciting fight scenes, great, not good, great actors having some fun and a pretty good twist at the end. Definitely a Deus ex Machina twist but certainly appropriate considering the context.

As for "The Road", I found it brilliant in some respects. Took the genre and made it right again. And I didn't even care what the "cause" was! By far the most realistic post apocalyptic movie I think I've seen. Three scenes in that movie that will freak you out, one of them will haunt you for days. Not to mention a truly stunning cameo by the man himself, Robert Duvall.

"The Book of Eli" is like a cheeseburger, tastes good and fills you up. "The Road" is like a steak, tastes great and you'll be picking your teeth for hours after.

Thanks

My God! Catfish?!?!?!?!

Where the hell have you been! We gave you up for alien abducted months ago!

WB
    Libertatem Prius!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    "the book of eli" is like a cheeseburger, tastes good and fills you up. "the road" is like a steak, tastes great and you'll be picking your teeth for hours after.
    +1000!

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Three scenes in that movie that will freak you out, one of them will haunt you for days.

After watching 'The Road' you only thought you had enough gear for SHTF.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Book of Eli - an OK movie. I'll give it a 2.384. About the only thing I liked about it was the fact he was on a 30 year mission to get that Bible to Alcatraz.

I had heard so many good reviews about the movie, so completely out of character I bought it before watching it.

I'm probably gonna put it up for trade - I see no reason or value to watch it again.

The Road - was better. I'll give it a 3.199. I was absolutely impressed with the father's devotion to his son, then later when the father fed Robert Duvall, and again when the father didn't shoot that man - then later returned the man his clothes; even though that man left them for dead. Me - I would've shot him.

One important thing that movie portrayed was the "shoot first" mentality as evidenced when father and son went into town, and father was shot by the bow and arrow.

Lots of compassion in that movie during the worst of times.

Thread Information