Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The United States is OUT OF THE SPACE BUSINESS

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Default Re: The United States is OUT OF THE SPACE BUSINESS

Obama; the man who killed the American Dream has cut off the Eagles wings...

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Today Is a Day That Shall Live in Infamy. Obama Has Shut down the US Space Program

Barack Hussain Obama’s ill-conceived, adventure took another disastrous turn! As America bids We say farewell to the space shuttle era. Not only have we lost over 4,000 jobs, but American is now put in the position of being a “PASSENGER” of the Russians when it come to the Space program. Our Dear Leader has decided to put 4,000 people on welfare and food stamps rather than running NASA.. Obama wants us to feed,, illegals, give them food-stamps, put them on welfare send them to our schools but say good-bye to NASA and hello to the to dead beat lazy bums on the corner who are too damn lazy to work .

Gone are the days when America was the leader in technology and innovation in space. It was the end of an era a three decade era of space travel when NASA’s shuttle program came to a end this morning. Atlantis came back to Earth and Obama sent us to Libya.

Fantastic, isn’t it! Go figure.. Has there ever been a President that has been so deaf when it come to the will of the American people?
    We could have continued the program with the money that Our Dear First Lady piss’s away on her vacations alone. And Obama finds it more important funding and renovating Mosques all over the world. John Kennedy must be turning over in his grave. It's a disgrace, 50 years of space travel going to down the drain, and handing it over to the Russians. We should be flying our flags at half mast. Oh well, I guess my Son won’t grow up to be an Astronaut.

As an American , I am pissed.
    But where is the outrage from the left? Humm.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thank You Obama: Russia declares 'era of Soyuz'

Moscow on Thursday declared it is now "the era of the Soyuz"
    after the US shuttle's last flight left the Russian system as the sole means for delivering astronauts to the International Space Station.

Far less glamorous than the horizontal-landing winged shuttle, the principle of Russia's Soyuz rocket and capsule system for sending humans into space has changed little since Yuri Gagarin became the first man in orbit in 1961.

But after the successful landing of the US Space Shuttle Atlantis Thursday drew the curtain on the 30-year US space shuttle programme, it is now the only vehicle which can propel astronauts towards the ISS.

"From today, the era of the Soyuz has started in manned space flight, the era of reliability," the Russian space agency Roskosmos said in a statement.

Obama’s new mission for NASA: Reach out to the Muslim World

In a far-reaching restatement of goals for the nation’s space agency, NASA administrator Charles Bolden says President Obama has ordered him to pursue three new objectives: to “re-inspire children” to study science and math, to “expand our international relationships,” and to “reach out to the Muslim world.” Of those three goals, Bolden said in a recent interview with al-Jazeera, the mission to reach out to Muslims is “perhaps foremost,” because it will help Islamic nations “feel good” about their scientific accomplishments.

Bolden: When I became the NASA Administrator — before I became the NASA Administrator — [Obama] charged me with three things: One was he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math, he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Bummer.

Thanks.

Because of my previous statement, I'll clarify.

I want the space program to continue, but not until we get our finances back under control.

If there's a choice of them putting a man on Mars or me getting all the Soc Sec money I paid in, I choose getting my money back.

Thanks

W.H.: Space plan means more jobs

By ABBY PHILLIP | 07/21/11 4:26 PM Updated: 07/21/11 4:27 PM

Space shuttle Atlantis lands at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Fla. AP Photo Close

The space shuttle Atlantis’s successful landing in Florida in the wee hours of the morning on Thursday marked the final sunset for the U.S. space program in its current form.

Along with public nostalgia for space flight and cold war-era global competition to dominate the universe, the programs’ end also raised questions and criticism of President Obama’s vision for the future of American space flight.

Texas Governor Rick Perry, whose state potentially stands to lose — or gain — jobs with the iteration of the program, blasted Obama for abandoning a history of exploration in space.

"The Obama Administration continues to lead federal agencies and programs astray, this time forcing NASA away from its original purpose of space exploration, and ignoring its groundbreaking past and enormous future potential,” said Perry, who may challenge Obama in 2012. “It is time to restore NASA to its core purpose of manned space exploration, and to define our vision for 21st Century space exploration, not in terms of what we cannot do, but instead in terms of what we will do."

Whenever the question is raised, Obama and his advisers say that his revamped mission for NASA will put in place a more financially prudent program for innovation and exploration, while opening the door for eventual private sector space flight.

On Thursday, White House press secretary Jay Carney asserted that the end of NASA’s space program in its current form will and Obama’s “new strategy” means mean more, not less, jobs, exploration and innovation.

“This new strategy means more jobs for the country more American astronauts in space over the next decade and more investments in innovation relative to the prior administration’s plan,” Carney said in response to a question about potential job losses in Florida, Texas and Louisiana.

He noted that the White House had released a photo of Obama watching the shuttle’s launch, even though he didn't travel to Florida for any of the “festivities” surrounding the shuttle’s final mission.

Obama’s new mission for NASA: Reach out to Muslim world

By: Byron York | Chief Political Correspondent Follow Him @ByronYork | 07/04/10 3:00 AM

In a far-reaching restatement of goals for the nation’s space agency, NASA administrator Charles Bolden says President Obama has ordered him to pursue three new objectives: to “re-inspire children” to study science and math, to “expand our international relationships,” and to “reach out to the Muslim world.” Of those three goals, Bolden said in a recent interview with al-Jazeera, the mission to reach out to Muslims is “perhaps foremost,” because it will help Islamic nations “feel good” about their scientific accomplishments.

In the same interview, Bolden also said the United States, which first sent men to the moon in 1969, is no longer capable of reaching beyond low earth orbit without help from other nations.

Bolden made the statements during a recent trip to the Middle East. He told al-Jazeera that in the wake of the president’s speech in Cairo last year, the American space agency is now pursuing “a new beginning of the relationship between the United States and the Muslim world.” Then:
    When I became the NASA Administrator — before I became the NASA Administrator — [Obama] charged me with three things: One was he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math, he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering.
    Later in the interview, Bolden discussed NASA’s goal of greater international cooperation in space exploration. He said the United States, more than 40 years after the first moon mission, cannot reach beyond earth’s orbit today without assistance from abroad:
    In his message in Cairo, [Obama] talked about expanding our international outreach, expanding our international involvement. We’re not going to go anywhere beyond low earth orbit as a single entity. The United States can’t do it, China can’t do it — no single nation is going to go to a place like Mars alone.
    Bolden’s trip included a June 15 speech at the American University in Cairo.

In that speech, he said in the past NASA worked mostly with countries that are capable of space exploration. But that, too, has changed in light of Obama’s Cairo initiative. “He asked NASA to change…by reaching out to ‘non-traditional’ partners and strengthening our cooperation in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia and in particular in Muslim-majority nations,” Bolden said. “NASA has embraced this charge.”

“NASA is not only a space exploration agency,” Bolden concluded, “but also an earth improvement agency.”

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

This is interesting.

Had to do a little time traveling to get it...but it was worth it.

Rick, you still live in New York, right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/science/space/22moon.html?_r=2

Race to the Moon Heats Up for Private Firms

By KENNETH CHANG

Published: July 21, 2011

SNIP

Spurred by a $30 million purse put up by Google, 29 teams have signed up for a competition to become the first private venture to land on the Moon. Most of them are unlikely to overcome the financial and technical challenges to meet the contest deadline of December 2015, but several teams think they have a good shot to win — and to take an early lead in a race to take commercial advantage of our celestial neighbor.

SNIP

Thanks

Umm... I hate New York. I wouldn't live in NY if someone paid me a lot of money to live there.

I live in Colorado Springs Colorado.

/chuckles

(22 years now)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

If anyone didn't get it...that was supposed to be a joke about divergent time lines, as related me traveling in time to get that article and finding that Rick lived elsewhere.

Thanks

I got it. I'm in THIS time line though, LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Article:
    NASA Picks 7 Private Spaceships for Trips to Edge of Space

SPACE.com Staff
    Date: 10 August 2011 Time: 09:48 AM ET

SHARE THIS PAGE

Masten’s Xaero vehicle during assembly late last year.
    CREDIT: Masten Space Systems
    NASA has picked seven private spaceflight companies, each working to build a commercial spaceship, as its transportation of choice for launching experiments to the edge of space and back.
    The space agency announced the selections Tuesday (Aug. 9), as part of the agency's Flight Opportunities Program. The seven commercial companies will receive two-year contracts to integrate and fly an indefinite number of technology payloads on their reusable suborbital vehicles, which fly to space but do not make a full orbit around the Earth. The flights will include manned and unmanned missions.
    The contracts are worth a combined total of $10 million, and the flights will carry a diverse mix of payloads to meet the agency's research and technology needs, NASA officials said in a statement. [Vote! The Best Spaceships of All Time]

"Through this catalog approach, NASA is moving toward the goal of making frequent, low-cost access to near-space available to a wide range of engineers, scientists and technologists," said NASA Chief Technologist Bobby Braun at NASA Headquarters in Washington, in a statement. "The government's ability to open the suborbital research frontier to a broad community of innovators will enable maturation of the new technologies and capabilities needed for NASA's future missions in space."
    The selected companies are:

• Armadillo Aerospace, based in Heath, Texas
    • Near Space Corp., based in Tillamook, Ore.
    • Masten Space Systems, based in Mojave, Calif.
    • Up Aerospace Inc., based in Highlands Ranch, Colo.
    • Virgin Galactic, based in Mojave, Calif.
    • Whittinghill Aerospace LLC, based in Camarillo, Calif.
    • XCOR, based in Mojave, Calif.

SpaceShipTwo makes a May 4, 2011 landing on Runway 30 at the Mojave Air and Space Port in California. Touch down signaled the successful end to the craft's 7th glide test and, for the first time, evaluation of its novel feather re-entry system.
    CREDIT: Bill Deaver/Deaver-Wiggins and AssociatesView full size image

"This is a big day for commercial space," Commercial Spaceflight Federation (CSF) executive director John Gedmark said in a statement. "Just as 1920s air mail purchases helped jumpstart the airline industry, we expect that NASA's purchases of flights on commercial suborbital vehicles will help accelerate this new industry. Hundreds of scientists, engineers, and educators have attended CSF workshops on the topic of using commercial suborbital vehicles, and we are thrilled to see that the R&D community will now be able to get rides to space."
    Armadillo Aerospace, founded by computer game entrepreneur John Carmack, is developing a suborbital rocket ship, called Super Mod, that will launch vertically and take passengers and payloads to the edge of space, at altitudes above 62 miles (100 kilometers). Near Space Corp. has experience launching high altitude atmospheric balloons and airships for NASA, NOAA and Department of Defense research.
    Masten Space Systems' Xaero rocket takes off and lands vertically, and completed its first free flight at the Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, Calif. on June 29. Up Aerospace Inc.'s SpaceLoft XL rocket has previously carried student experiments and other commercial payloads into suborbital space. Whittinghill Aerospace has been developing small rockets capable of launching nanosatellites. The firm has previously received funding under NASA’s Small Business Innovative Research program.
    Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo suborbital space plane is designed to fly up to six passengers and two pilots to the edge of space before gliding back for a runway landing. The ticket price per seat is currently set at $200,000.

XCOR Aerospace's Lynx spacecraft is shown launching into space with a science payload on its dorsal side in this artist's illustration.
    CREDIT: XCOR AerospaceView full size image

XCOR Aerospace is developing a two-seat Lynx space plane that will take off and land on a conventional airport runway. Virgin Galactic and XCOR have already inked deals with the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), a non-profit research organization, for research flights aboard their suborbital vehicles.

NASA is aiming to use these new contracts to provide frequent flight opportunities for research and experiments on suborbital spacecraft. The agency's Flight Opportunities Program provides opportunities to demonstrate and test space technologies, and is charged with fostering the development of the commercial reusable suborbital transportation industry.
    Many of these companies aim to eventually carry space tourists, in addition to research, on their flights. Virgin Galactic, for example, has already sold hundreds of tickets to its first passengers, who should launch sometime in the next couple years.
    Follow SPACE.com for the latest in space science and exploration news on Twitter @Spacedotcom and on Facebook.

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Russia to allocate $8 billion to build space center in Far East

Topic: Russian space programs

Vladimir Popovkin visiting the area where the Vostochny space center will be constructed

© Photo The Government of the Amur Region

07:04 11/08/2011
    MOSCOW, August 11 (RIA Novosti)

Related News

Russia will allocate about 250 billion rubles ($8.4 billion) to build the Vostochny space center in Far East, the head of the country's space agency Roscosmos said on Thursday.

Russia currently uses two launch sites: Baikonur in Kazakhstan, which it has leased since the end of the Soviet Union, and Plesetsk in northwest Russia.

So far ground infrastructure, as well as technical and launch complexes are being designed, Roscosmos chief Vladimir Popovkin said in an interview with the Kommersant daily.

"About 250 billion rubles are to be allocated for the construction," he said.
    The Russian government earlier said it intended to spend 24.7 billion rubles (around $800 million) during the first three years of the construction of the space center, billed as a "new stage in the development of Russian cosmonautics."

The construction of Vostochny is scheduled to begin this year and end in 2016, with the first rocket launch to take place in 2015 and the first manned flight due in 2018.

The vast facility in the Amur Region will eventually include two launch pads, a training center and oxygen and hydrogen generation plants.

Popovkin also said the agency is currently studying space launch insurance, following the loss of three Glonass satellites last December. The satellites, meant to conclude the formation of Russia's Glonass navigation system, were lost when a Proton-M carrier rocket veered off course and crashed in the Pacific Ocean in December.

"The idea is to include the insurance into the satellite's cost. This is worldwide practice. But every case will be considered individually," Popovkin said. "We plan to select a group of insurance companies, from which we would choose a suitable one to insure our risks."

According to expert estimates, the losses from the failed launch could stand at about 2.5 billion rubles ($840 million).

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Russian space science blooms again

August 10, 2011
    Jeffrey Manber

The Spektre R telescope shows the power of Russia's space program - and also has the potential to promote international cooperation.

A three-decade-long drought came to an end on July 18 when a Zenit rocket launched a Russian radio telescope into orbit. Not since the Soviet Union's economic and political fall have Russian space scientists been able to develop and launch such a cutting edge piece of research instrumentation as the Spektre R telescope.

A product of the Lebedev Physical Institute, with additional funding from the Kremlin, the Spektre R is now the largest telescope in space. It is perhaps the most beautiful as well, with a flower-like design of 27 gold-colored petals that opened up perfectly soon after launch. The main scientific goal of the five-year mission is the study of the deepest and most mysterious reaches of our universe, including the origins of black holes, the structure of galaxies, star formations and the boundaries of interstellar space.

The pride of the Russian scientific community, the telescope is only 10 meters in length, or about 30 feet. But once operational by September or October, the instrument will have a capacity to provide detailed images of the universe at 1,000 times the resolution attainable via the Hubble Space Telescope. Although as Spektre R is a radio telescope, there will be no stunning photos like the ones from Hubble – but scientists are holding their breath waiting for the first streams of data.

The telescope manages to be both small and powerful due to an ingenious system that makes use of a network of receiving dishes and telescopes on the ground. These pool together with the Spektre R to provide an extraordinary clarity of signals. Think of it as the ultimate in “cloud computing.” The network includes telescopes in Australia, Chile, China, those from the European Space Agency, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, South Africa, Ukraine, and the United States as well as from Russia. Once operational, the telescope network will be known as RadioAstron, with a "dish" spanning 30 times the Earth's diameter.

"We've been waiting for this day for such a long time," said Nikolai Podorvanyuk, a researcher at the Moscow Institute of Astronomy. "It's been planned since the 1980s, but has repeatedly fallen through for a variety of reasons. But now it's here, and we're bracing for all the new information it's going to deliver.”

Vladimir Fotov, director of the Institute of Thermophysics in Moscow agreed. "This is going to open up a whole new era in astronomy and astrophysics," Fedotov said. "It's a huge contribution to world science; Russia has held advanced positions traditionally. It's just great.”

The telescope's orbit is equally unusual and innovative, ranging from a low approach (perigee) of 500 km (310 miles) from the earth and then climbing to 340,000 km (211,000 miles) away from Earth. This elliptical orbit means that the moon's gravity is an important part of the mission and the telescope will hardly ever be in the earth's shadow—so it is in effect a deep space mission without the cost of being a deep space mission.

A leader in space technology has returned

But the technical aspects of the program share importance with the simple fact that the successful deployment of the radio telescope brings to an end Russia’s absence from the international community of contributions to space science. The first pictures from the far side of the moon and many other basic astronomical discoveries came from the Russian space program. So the first signals from the Spektre R will be welcomed both for what they say about the mysteries of the universe, and also for the fact that a traditional leader in space science has returned. “We are more than a space taxi,” scoffed more than one scientist, alluding to the fact that the Russian Space Agency is being paid by NASA for ferrying astronauts to and from the International Space Station.

But learning about the Spektr R would be difficult for readers of most American news outlets. At a time when NASA is caught in a budget crunch, when Congress threatens to cut funding for the James Webb telescope, the next American astronomical crown jewel, the normally boisterous, supportive space sites as well as traditional news outlets have all but ignored the Spektre R mission.

Let's hope the silence is due more to a myopic focus on saving NASA's basic science programs than disregard for Russian accomplishments. And it is made even more puzzling given that the recent launch of NASA's Jupiter mission, called Juno, was on an American workhorse rocket called Atlas 5, powered in part by rocket engines licensed from the Russian organization Energomash. The entwinement of the American and Russian exploration programs should be applauded for political, economical and scientific reasons.

But no matter, the reality is that once this stunning astronomical tour de force involving 20 nations led by a 2.5 ton space flower gets going, we all will be hoping this is only the first chapter in the second phase of Russia's exploration of the universe.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

250 billion rubles = $8.4 billion USD

I see that as a sign of things to come....
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Science SpaceX Dragon Test Flight to ISS Scheduled for November 30
    Tiffany Kaiser - August 17, 2011 12:07 PM

(Source: orlandosentinel.com)

SpaceX said its space capsule's arrival at the ISS will mark "the beginning of a new era in space travel"

Throughout 2011, NASA retired its entire space shuttle fleet one by one, from Discovery's final flight in February, to Endeavour's last jaunt in May and Atlantis' final launch in July. But just because the space shuttle fleet is out of service, it doesn't mean that trips to the International Space Station (ISS) are done and over with.

Space Exploration Technologies, also known as SpaceX, a California-based rocket maker that was founded in 2002, has announced that it is planning a test flight to the ISS in late November. It will carry supplies and equipment to the orbiting facility.

"SpaceX has been hard at work preparing for our next flight -- a mission designed to demonstrate that a privately-developed space transportation system can deliver cargo to and from the International Space Station (ISS)," said SpaceX.

SpaceX has only made one other space mission. It sent its "gumdrop-shaped" Dragon space capsule into orbit in December 2010. SpaceX ended up winning $75 million earlier this year for being the first private company to successfully launch its own space capsule.

According to SpaceX's website, it costs about $133 million for a full-up NASA Dragon cargo mission to the ISS.

"Together, government and the private sector can simultaneously increase the reliability, safety and frequency of space travel, while greatly reducing the costs," said SpaceX.

NASA gave SpaceX a launch date of November 30, 2011. Nine days later, the company's Dragon should be berthing at the ISS.

SpaceX said its space capsule's arrival at the ISS will mark "the beginning of a new era in space travel."
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

China Analyst: U.S. Can’t Win in Space, So Why Bother Racing?

With access to more than 400 satellites plus at least two tiny, maneuverable robotic shuttles, the U.S. military is the clear leader in military spacecraft. But with 70 orbiters of its own, China is catching up fast. Last year, Beijing matched Washington in space launches for the first time, boosting no fewer than 15 satellites into orbit. It was the first time any nation China kept a celestial pace with the U.S.

The new space race is on. But in the view of one influential analyst, the race isn’t worth the prize. Space “is expensive to enter, hard to sustain assets in, contains no defensive ground, and — barring energy-intensive maneuvering – forces assets into predictable orbits,” Andrew Erickson, a Naval War College professor and editor of the new book Chinese Aerospace Power, told me as part of a longer interview over at AOL Defense.

No one disputes that China is gaining “ground” in space. The [People's Liberation Army] is acquiring a range of technologies to improve China’s space and counter-space capabilities,” warned the 2011 edition of Congress’ annual report on the Chinese military (.pdf). But the Pentagon’s official response is to dig in deeper in orbit, with newer and better spacecraft costing at least $10 billion a year, in total. Erickson is virtually alone in fundamentally questioning the Pentagon’s space presence — and recommending an orbital retreat.

“Some of the most debilitating asymmetric tactics could be employed against space and cyberspace targets,” Erickson explained. In other words, spacecraft are highly vulnerable to physical and electronic attack, and so are their control stations. To avoid these “asymmetric” assaults at which China has proved particularly skilled, the Pentagon should take its current space-based equipment and move it downward to the atmosphere. The air is more secure than space, Erickson insisted.

The Pentagon is already following Erickson’s advice with a handful of new systems. The Air Force’s Battlefield Airborne Communications Node, a collection of radio relays, is the kind of thing that might normally be installed on a satellite. But for expediency, the Air Force fitted it to small jets and Global Hawk drones. Several types of high-altitude unmanned planes and blimps function essentially as low-altitude satellites, but with added flexibility and, usually, lower cost.

For a successor to the current, satellite-based GPS navigation system, the Air Force is looking at non-space systems including “cold atoms, pseudolites [satellite surrogates such as drones and blimps], and image-aided inertial navigation systems that use laser radar,” Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz has said.

This trend should continue, Erickson recommended, with terrestrial robots in particular standing in for orbital hardware. “Less-manned and unmanned systems, which — while they face limitations given current technologies — can already be smaller, cheaper and more disposable; enabling better persistence, maneuverability and tolerance of losses.”

In Erickson’s perfect world, U.S. forces probably wouldn’t rely on space at all. With no one to beat, China wouldn’t lose the new space race. But it wouldn’t win, either.

Photo: Chinese space agency
    See Also:

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Mystery over why ‘America the Beautiful’ picked to accompany broadcast of China space launch

By Associated Press, Published: September 29 | Updated: Friday, September 30, 1:55 AM

BEIJING — China’s state broadcaster isn’t saying why the station ran the music to “America the Beautiful” during the gala live broadcast of the country’s latest space launch.

Strains of the famed American patriotic tune rang out following the launch of the Tiang Gong-1 experimental space station module late Thursday night.

It wasn’t clear why the music had been picked or whether CCTV producers were aware of the origins of the song, whose lyrics include the lines “America! America! God shed His grace on thee.”

An operator answering phones at CCTV’s Beijing headquarters on Friday said no spokesman was available and calls to the station’s international affairs department rang unanswered.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Back space taxis or pay more for Russian rides

By Irene Klotz
    LAS CRUCES, New Mexico | Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41am EDT

(Reuters) - An extra year of buying rides for astronauts to the International Space Station will cost the United States $450 million -- money that would be better spent speeding development of private space taxis, NASA's deputy administrator said on Thursday.
    With the retirement this summer of the space shuttles, the United States is dependent on Russia to fly astronauts to the space station, a $100 billion project by 16 nations that orbits about 225 miles (360 km) above Earth.
    Russia charges more than $50 million per person for rides on its Soyuz capsules.
    NASA so far has spent $388 million to bolster the development of passenger spaceships, with the goal of having one or more U.S. companies capable of providing flights to the space station by 2016.
    The U.S. space agency is backing space taxi development by four firms, including Boeing Co (BA.N).
    The Obama Administration is requesting $850 million for the program for the fiscal year that began Oct 1. Bills pending in the House and Senate cut that to $312 million and $500 million, respectively.
    Without full funding in 2012, the United States' ability to stop buying rides from Russia in 2016 is at risk, NASA deputy administrator Lori Garver said at the International Symposium for Personal and Commercial Spaceflight, under way in Las Cruces, New Mexico, this week.
    "One additional year of buying this service from the Russians will cost the United States about $450 million," Garver said.
    "If you take the Senate mark, take it up $350 million, giving it to U.S. companies today to get to our requested amount, it gives us the best chance to be able to replace this foreign government service by 2016. That's the choice," she said.
    Overall, commercial space transportation and related industries generated more than $208 billion of economic activity and more than $53 billion in profits in the United States in 2009, a Federal Aviation Administration report released in January 2011 shows.
    "That economic impact is only expected to grow," Garver said. (Editing by Tom Brown and Philip Barbara)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vector7 View Post
    Companion Threads:

As NASA has been redirected to focus on Muslim countries are they transferring technology to Russia?

Russia wants a nuclear-powered spacecraft for Mars mission

Posted on Apr 12th 2011 by Lydia Leavitt

The European Space Agency (ESA) is currently working with NASA to develop a major Mars exploration project.

However, the ESA but has no immediate plans to collaborate with Russia, a nation which is also developing nuclear-powered spacecraft technology for a long journey to the red planet.

Nuclear technology offers more power in less space, which makes it particularly attractive for long missions.

Russia and the United States have been developing nuclear technology for decades, but placed new emphasis on the concept in recent years.
    The Russian government allotted 430 million rubles ($14.4 million USD) in 2010 to the cause.

Alongside the Russians, the ESA is working with NASA on a project known as ExoMars (Exobiology in Mars), a similar but separate initiative to build nuclear-powered spaceships.

Although all of the above-mentioned entities are researching nuclear power for spacecraft, a spokesman for the Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos reiterated there was no collaborative agreement between the three agencies.

Roscosmos director Anatoly Perminov said the development of Megawatt-class nuclear space power systems (MCNSPS) would help Russia maintain a competitive edge in the space race for exploration of the moon and Mars.

The Russians are hoping to complete the nuclear engine design by 2012 at an estimated cost of 17 billion rubles ($600 million USD).

Still, it should be noted that ESA head Jean-Jacques Dorden recently confirmed the agency would "consider" using Russian experience and technology in its own nuclear-powered spacecraft developments.

Russia, NASA to Meet This Month to Discuss Collaboration on Nuclear-Powered Spacecraft

by eklipz on April 5th, 2011 at 4:31 PM in Science

In the last century, Russia and the United States engaged competitively in both a space race and a nuclear technology race. In this century, it appears the two are considering collaborating in turning the fruits of those Cold War showdowns into workable technology that could expand spaceflight operations beyond Earth orbit. On April 15, Russia and NASA (and a handful of other “nuclear club” countries) will convene to talk about building a next-gen, nuclear powered spaceship.

The head of Roscosmos–NASA’s Russian counterpart–told Russia’s state-owned newswire that states with a high degree of nuclear reactor technology will take part in the talks. So while Roscosmos and NASA are the principal space agencies involved, France, Germany, China, and Japan were also mentioned as potential partners in the report.

Why now? Roscosmos, it turns out, plans to complete a new design for a nuclear spacecraft engine by next year. But while it has big plans for its nuclear technology, it needs some $600 million to build the thing. A good deal of that will likely come from Rosatom, Russia’s state nuclear agency.

But clearly Roscosmos also seeks international involvement, be it financial or technical.

Nuclear tech has long been envisioned as the enabling technology that will lead to deep space travel, but there is not yet consensus on exactly how to implement it. Russia has previously described its “engine” as a “megawatt-class nuclear space power system.” That means it might be of the more conventional electricity-providing variety that would power ion engines or some such, though it could also use reactor heat to eject reaction mass, meaning it would provide thrust as well as electricity.

It’s unclear if the Russians will make public their ongoing design April 15th, or exactly what Roscosmos expects to come of the talks. If it turns out Russia and the U.S. sign an unprecedented agreement to explore far-off star systems together riding a jointly-built nuclear spacecraft, expect to read about it here. But don’t put your money on it just yet.

NASA tests Mars spacesuit

Mar 22, 2011 07:14 Moscow Time

NASA researchers have tested a spacesuit intended for missions to Mars. The tests were conducted at a base in the Antarctic. It is believed that the low temperatures of the continent closely resemble conditions on the red planet.

The creator of the suit, Argentine engineer Pablo de Leon, personally tried out the suit and was pleased with its performance.

The suit consists of 350 different materials and costs about 100 thousand dollars. Earlier, U.S. President Barack Obama said that NASA may be sending astronauts to Martian orbit in 20-25 years.

While Obama Destroys NASA, Russia Speeds Up Its Own Moon-Mars

Project
    April 7, 2011 • 11:11AM

While insane President Barack Obama is destroying the U.S. manned space program, the Russians remain committed to going to the Moon and Mars. In an interview with Bloomberg, Anatoly Perminov, head of the Russian space agency Roscosmos, said Russia will accelerate planned missions to the Moon that could put a man on the Moon within 10 years.

"It is the first time that the government has allocated decent financing to us," Perminov said in a phone interview on April 2. The agency's $3.5 billion budget for 2011 is the highest since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. "We can now advance on all themes a bit," Perminov said.

"We are increasing the space budget as the time has come for a technological breakthrough," Dmitry Peskov, spokesman for Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, also told Bloomberg. "We need to replace outdated infrastructure and continue to support the flagship status of the space industry." Russia intends to continue allocating more funds for the space industry, Peskov said. "We'll increase financing if possible, depending on the budget balance, because the industry was and remains one of our priorities," he said.

On April 5, Russia's Soyuz TMA-21 spacecraft, with three astronauts, including one American, was launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome en route to the International Space Station. April 12 marks the 50th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's first mission as the first man to go into space. Alexander Samokutiaev and Andrey Borisenko of Roscosmos, and NASA's Ron Garan are scheduled to arrive at the station on April 7, Roscosmos said on its website.

Russia now receives $752 million from the U.S. for sending crews to the ISS through 2015. Of course, Bloomberg points out that this is happening just as Obama is scrapping the U.S. manned space program, and NASA is seeking an $18.7 billion budget for next year, $300 million less than the funding targeted for this year.

"We need the Mars flight, as it will help create new large-scale technologies," Yuriy Karash, member of the Russian Space Academy, told Bloomberg. "It means there will be new rockets, new engines, new anti-radiation medicine that will protect people in outer space." Russia may be able to complete a Mars mission within 12 years if it is included in the new Federal space program, Karash said. Roscosmos is working on a plan that will start in 2015, to focus more on outer space than before, Perminov said in the interview. A flight to Mars is more likely in cooperation with other space programs, according to the Roscosmos plan.

Russia will need a new rocket, a new manned spacecraft for crews of between four and six members, and a new launch site to operate manned flights as early as in 2018, Perminov said. The new rocket, Rus-M, which is to become Russia's main vehicle for manned spaceflights, should be ready for the 2015 start of Russia's new space program, he said.

Top NASA official ‘rooting for’ China’s success in space exploration

Published: 6:23 PM 09/21/2011 | Updated: 6:24 PM 09/21/2011

By Jeff Poor - The Daily Caller

In June 2010 NASA Administrator Charles F. Bolden, Jr., a retired Marine Corps major general, told Al Jazeera that one of his goals was “to reach out to and engage the Muslim world, making better known its historic contribution to science.”

Bolden now says it will take some motivation, perhaps from a not-so-friendly rival, for NASA to again be in a position to reach its goals.

Speaking to a group of midshipmen at the U.S. Naval Institute’s annual history conference in Annapolis, Md. on Saturday, Bolden speculated that if China were to make advances in space exploration, the United States might seek to follow suit. And based on that assumption, he said he was rooting for the rival nation on the other side of the Pacific.

“We haven’t talked about the Chinese,” Bolden said. “We can’t work with the Chinese right now. But I’m rooting for them. They’re probably going to put a spacecraft called Shenzhou into orbit here, hopefully by the end of the year. It’s going to be the first capsule of their space station. And the reason they are doing that is that we are not allowing them to be partners right now. So they’re going alone. They need to be successful to drive us.”

Bolden, the pilot of two space shuttle missions and the commander of two other space shuttle missions, predicted if the Chinese mission is successful, we should expect further moves by the Chinese next year. He also said that the United States doesn’t dominate space exploration like it once did and that the fact should be acknowledged.
    Bolden isn’t alone in hoping that China might motivate the United States to act on space exploration. Retired Navy Capt. Wendy B. Lawrence, who was a crew member on six shuttle flights, expressed a similar sentiment.

“I think we’re in a very interesting period right now as [Charles] Bolden has alluded to,” she said. “If you look at the history of the space program, history very clearly shows what we can do when we are united. What will it take to get us united again? I have to agree with Charlie – it’s time to root for the Chinese because it just may be that we need a good swift kick in the pants.”

NASA Chief Says US Could Cooperate with China in Space

by Mike Wall, SPACE.com Senior Writer
    Date: 03 November 2011 Time: 12:53 PM ET

China's robotic Shenzhou 8 launches on Oct. 31, 2011, on a mission to chase down and dock with the prototype space lab Tiangong 1.
    CREDIT: China Manned Space Engineering
    View full size image

While China and the United States don't see eye to eye on many issues, there is room for the two nations to work together in space science and exploration, NASA chief Charlie Bolden says.

In fact, cooperation in the space arena could help bridge the divide between the two superpowers while potentially benefiting both, Bolden told a House Foreign Affairs subcommittee on Capitol Hill yesterday (Nov. 2).

"Some level of engagement with China in space-related areas in the future can form the basis for dialogue and cooperation in a manner that is consistent with the national interests of both our countries, when based on the principles of transparency, reciprocity and mutual benefit," Bolden said in testimony before the subcommittee on oversight and investigations.

Bolden's remarks came on a big day for the Chinese space program, as the nation pulled off its first-ever orbital docking between two spacecraft. The meet-up between the unmanned Shenzhou 8 and Tiangong 1 vessels is seen as a milestone in China's quest to build a space station by 2020.

[Shenzhou 8: Photos From China's 1st Space Docking Test]

NASA administrator Charlie Bolden at NASA's Fiscal Year 2012 budget briefing on Monday, Feb. 14, 2011 at NASA Headquarters in Washington.
    CREDIT: NASA/Bill IngallsView full size image

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Why in the HELL do these schmucks give Al Jezera any interviews?

I'd tell them I won't talk to them, they are unwelcome.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Space station's private hookup delayed till March

SpaceX says more tests are needed before Dragon's orbital test rendezvous

NASA via SpaceX An artist's conception shows SpaceX's Dragon capsule approaching the International Space Station for a delivery.

msnbc.com staff and news service reports

updated 1 hour 24 minutes ago

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — The first commercial cargo run to the International Space Station is off until March.

SpaceX had planned to launch its unmanned supply ship from Cape Canaveral in Florida on Feb. 7. But the company said more testing was needed with the spacecraft, named Dragon. On Friday, officials confirmed that Dragon's launch on SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket would not occur until late March.

SpaceX did not provide details on the further testing that would be required.
    NASA closed out its 30-year shuttle program last July.
    Space station commander Daniel Burbank said that he wanted to take part in the historic event, but that it was more important that SpaceX fly when it's ready. Burbank is due to return to Earth in mid-March.

1. More space news from msnbc.com

1. NASA / SDO
        Incoming! Solar outburst heading our way Science editor Alan Boyle's blog: The sun has unleashed a blast of electrically charged particles in Earth's direction, which should cause brighter-than-normal auroral displays this weekend.
      2. Watch the Milky Way spin in space
      3. Russia wants to build manned base on moon
      4. Spacecraft in home stretch of trek to Pluto

"If that's not to be during our mission, then that's OK," Burbank said in an interview Friday with The Associated Press. "We've got plenty of other things to occupy us."
    Just over a year ago, California-based SpaceX launched a test version of the Dragon capsule, becoming the first private business to send a spacecraft into orbit and return it safely in a Pacific Ocean splashdown. NASA is counting on companies like SpaceX to keep the station stocked, now that the shuttles are retired.
    Advertise | AdChoices

The plan for the demonstration cargo flight calls for the Dragon to approach the station, go through a series of communication tests, then get the go-ahead for a rendezvous. When the craft comes within a few yards (meters) of the docking port, the station's astronauts would grapple it with the station's robotic arm and bring it in for the hookup. Several hundred pounds of supplies would be brought aboard, and after about a week, the Dragon would undock and return to Earth.
    If a glitch arises during the mission and the hookup is called off, another test flight would have to be scheduled. If the mission is judged totally successful, that would open the way for SpaceX to begin cargo flights in earnest under the terms of a $1.6 billion contract with NASA.
    "This will be one step in the long road to human expansion off of the planet into low-Earth orbit and beyond," NASA astronaut Donald Pettit, one of Burbank's crewmates aboard the station, said Friday.
    SpaceX spokeswoman Kirstin Brost Grantham pointed out that this is a developmental program for her company, and everyone wants it to be a complete success. "It may take a little more time, but when it happens, it's going to be amazing," she said.
    SpaceX and another company, Virginia-based Orbital Sciences Corp., have received more than $600 million from NASA so far to support the development of commercial cargo spacecraft. Orbital is due to begin flight tests of its orbital cargo delivery system later this year.
    In the meantime, NASA must depend on Russian Progress cargo craft as well as European and Japanese transports for space station resupply. The next Progress launch is scheduled for Jan. 26 from Russia's Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
    The beauty of the Dragon is that it will be able to return scientific samples to Earth, Burbank noted. None of the other countries' supply ships can do that; they burn up on re-entry.
    Americans Burbank and Pettit, three Russians and a Dutchman make up the station's current six-man crew. "I think we're getting by OK," Burbank said, "but we need to have as much up-mass and down-mass capability as we can to support space station operations at the level we need it."
    The hookups with U.S. commercial spacecraft would have to be cleared with the Russians and the other partners in the space station effort, and Russian officials have said they need solid safety assurances about the commercial operations before giving the go-ahead.
    SpaceX is also one of the participants in a separate NASA program to develop commercial crew transports for use in the 2017 time frame.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Russia postpones two manned launches to International Space Station

Published January 27, 2012
    | FoxNews.com

• NASA/Carla Cioffi
      March 31, 2010: The Soyuz TMA-18 spacecraft is rolled out by train to the launch pad at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

MOSCOW – Worrisome cracks in its spacecraft have forced Russia to postpone two manned launches to the International Space Station (ISS), the Interfax news agency reported Friday -- echoing a 2011 situation that left the country's space transport vehicles grounded and led to speculation that scientists may be forced to abandon the orbiting space base.
    Six astronauts are currently aboard the ISS as members of Expedition 30, including two Americans: Commander Dan Burbank and Flight Engineer Don Pettit. Burbank, who has been in space since Nov. 16, was set to return from the station on a March 30 flight that will be postponed until mid-April or the first half of May.

It's too early to say what sort of impact the delay could have on the current space station crew, NASA spokeswoman Kylie Clem told FoxNews.com, but current crew should be fine.
    "There is plenty of margin for the current space station crew to stay onboard longer, if necessary, and plenty of margin in our manifest for upcoming launches," Clem said.
    In addition, there are currently spacecraft docked at the station that can be used to transport astronauts back to Earth, she said.
    "Each Soyuz that flies to the space station delivers three resident crew members," Clem told FoxNews.com. "That same vehicle stays docked and then brings them back to Earth at the end of the mission."
    The postponement to future Soyuz lift-offs is needed because the Soyuz TMA-04M spaceship cracked after testing in a pressure chamber, Space.com reported -- very different issues from the malfunctioning gas generator that caused the August, 2011, grounding.
    But the end result may be the same.
    "This re-entry capsule now cannot be used for manned spaceflight," a source told the news agency.
    Due to the delayed March 30 rocket, a second mission will also be delayed until the middle or end of June.
    Since NASA scuttled the U.S. space shuttle program last year, Russia has sole responsibility for sending astronauts to the ISS, leading many to call for a back up means for sending humans to space. Russia's space program has been hit by a string of problems, notably the embarrassing failure of a Mars probe.
    NASA has largely pinned its hopes for American spaceflight on private enterprise, especially the Dragon capsule built by Californian company Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX).
    Dragon was scheduled to launch on a historic flight to the space station on Feb. 7, which would have made it the first private vehicle to dock with the station. But SpaceX said Monday, Jan. 16, that it would postpone the flight to accommodate more engineering tests.
    SpaceX is currently targeting 2014 for its first manned test flight, spokeswoman Kirstin Brost Grantham told FoxNews.com.
    NASA is also moving toward the development of a Space Launch System -- a new heavy-lift vehicle that will eventually be able to carry humans beyond Earth's orbit in the Orion capsule, thanks to a unique new liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen propulsion system.
    The space agency has proposed an unmanned test flight of the Orion spacecraft in 2014.
    An unmanned Russian resupply craft that launched successfully on Wednesday from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan is set to dock with the International Space Station Friday evening. Loaded with 2.9 tons of food, fuel and equipment, Progress 46 will arrive at the station’s Pirs docking compartment on Friday at 7:08 p.m. EST.
    The Republican candidates for president clashed over the future of U.S. space exploration plans at a debate in Florida Thursday night. Newt Gingrich recently declared his goal of a manned moon base by 2020 to reassert American dominance in space. The other three candidates dismissed his proposals as expensive and overreaching.
    Newscore contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...#ixzz1khviv9Fe
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

NASA to Pick 2 Private Space Taxi Designs for Astronaut Flights

Dan Leone, Space News
    Date: 08 February 2012 Time: 10:06 AM ET

FOLLOW US

Helping to pave the road for the future of commercial spaceflight, Boeing is hard at work on the research and development of a new space capsule aimed at flying people to the International Space Station.
    CREDIT: Boeing
    WASHINGTON — NASA intends to provide $300 million to $500 million each to at least two companies over 21 months starting in August to complete designs of vehicles capable of delivering crews to and from the International Space Station.
    The selected companies also will be asked to develop plans for certifying their vehicles to carry astronauts, NASA officials said. Contractors also would be responsible for designing optional milestones into their proposals for additional precertification work after the initial 21-month period.
    NASA officials said plans to select at least two prospective providers for the third round of the agency’s Commercial Crew Program is contingent upon funding. Lawmakers provided $406 million for the effort in 2012, less than half of what the agency requested.
    Ed Mango, NASA’s Commercial Crew Program manager, said the agency hopes an initial crewed demonstration flight to low Earth orbit will take place in the latter half of this decade, with regular commercially operated flights to the International Space Station beginning around 2017. However, the date could slip, depending on funding in future years, he said.

Mango spoke at an industry forum at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida Feb. 7, just hours before the agency released the formal solicitation for the Commercial Crew integrated Capability (CCiCap) procurement. Proposals are due March 23 for CCiCap, which is the third and final funded phase of NASA’s effort to nurture development of a commercial crew transportation system. [Top 10 Fantasy Spaceships Headed for Reality]
    There will be a pre-proposal meeting at Kennedy Feb. 14 for prospective providers, but no one-on-one meetings with NASA officials are planned, according to the solicitation.
    NASA will fund CCiCap using Space Act agreements, which are not subject to the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) that apply to traditional government contracts. Winners will develop an integrated system featuring a crew vehicle and launch vehicle, with work to be completed May 31, 2014.
    NASA would then certify its chosen systems to carry astronauts. That work will be done under FAR-based contracts, as NASA says Space Act agreements do not give the agency the legal authority to perform this certification, or to dictate design requirements needed for certification. Prospective providers must have their vehicles certified by NASA before they can fly astronauts.

This artist's illustration of the orbital crew-carrying spaceship planned by the private company Blue Origin was included in the firm's NASA Space Act agreement to continue its work on a commercial crew space vehicle.
    CREDIT: NASA/Blue OriginView full size image

NASA's Commercial Crew Program office has not determined exactly how it will perform the certification work under the FAR contracts, but expects to present its strategy for agency approval in "late spring or early summer," Mango said.
    Certification work could begin as soon as June 2014, Mango said, depending on funding availability. "We don’t know when we’re going to get the funding to do that NASA certification," he said.
    To ensure that work toward certification can continue after May 31, 2014, the CCiCap Space Act agreements will include optional milestone periods that could run as long as two years and provide each company with about $400 million in additional financial assistance.
    "If we have multiple partners throughout the [Space Act agreement] process, we think the most we might be able to give them is something along the lines of $400 million per partner" for the optional milestones, Mango said.
    It remains uncertain, however, whether NASA will have the funding to support multiple commercial crew providers.
    "We plan to maintain multiple providers as long as it makes sense technically and financially," Phil McAlister, director of commercial spaceflight development at NASA headquarters in Washington, said via email Feb. 7. "In the end, we have committed to having one or more crew transportation providers."
    NASA previously planned to fund the third phase of the Commercial Crew Program under traditional FAR-type contracts, but funding constraints coupled with the desire to support multiple providers prompted the agency to switch to Space Act agreements. These kinds of agreements, used in the first two phases of the program, provide more flexibility than standard government contracts but cannot be used to buy hardware or services.
    Currently NASA is reliant on Russian Soyuz vehicles to deliver crews to the station, at a cost of $63 million per seat.
    Four companies are currently developing crew-carrying vehicles under funded Space Act agreements with NASA: Boeing Space Exploration of Houston; Blue Origin of Kent, Wash.; Sierra Nevada Space Systems of Louisville, Colo.; and Space Exploration Technologies Corp. of Hawthorne, Calif.
    Every aspiring provider of commercial crew transportation services but one plans to use a human-rated version of United Launch Alliance’s Atlas 5 expendable rocket to reach orbit. Space Exploration Technologies plans to use its Falcon 9 rocket.
    This article was provided by Space News, dedicated to covering all aspects of the space industry.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information