Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg Mythology

Thanks

Default Egg Mythology

Help me out here.

People are making the following claims...

PRESERVING EGGS

Buy farm-fresh eggs that have not been refrigerated, if possible. Wipe but do not wash. Eggs should keep 4 weeks, even in the tropics, if turned upside down in their containers every other day to keep the yolks suspended. When any spoiled eggs are found, give the others a freshness test: Place raw eggs in a pot of salt water. Fresh ones sink; spoiled ones float. Discard contaminated eggs and hardboil the remainder. Hard-boiled eggs should last up to a week.To keep eggs longer than a month, try one of the following methods. Coated eggs should be turned periodically; salted eggs need not be turned.
    http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...reserving-Eggs

If eggs are turned upside down every week they last longer as the shell doesn't dry out and leak air into the void.
    This step I learned from a commercial fisherman who had to keep eggs indefinately while out on his boat. Every time you take your eggs out of the refrigerator, turn the carton over to put back in the refrigerator. This will keep the eggs edible indefinately even without refrigeration.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5933540_keep...er-longer.html

(Note above, spelling is wrong in several places in the article. No sources to prove or show the eggs will not 'age', and also he 'learned this from a commercial fisherman... which is precisely the issue. SAILORS on forums are perpetuating myths like these!)

Now, I grew up on a farm for part of my life and I was the egg collector. I recall that eggs might last 5-8 weeks, unwashed, out of a chicken coop - but generally you want to put them in cooler locations.

Does anyone know anything about this myth?
    Last edited by American Patriot; February 3rd, 2010 at 19:15.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Egg Mythology

News to me...

Thanks

I know that eggs that aren't washed to begin with are covered with a membrane that protects the egg's embryo from external stuff (viruses and bacteria)... But, eggs are washed when sent to the sorting factories etc.

So... what I'm finding is VERY LITTLE one way or the other on this. This is some myth being perpetuated among sailors as some kind of "fact" (like a lot of other bullshit they pass along to one another).
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I'm somewhat of an egghead, but I'll proffer a suggestion and a query.

1. Bring along a laying hen and eat fresh eggs.

2. How and why is it that some hens lay eggs without a rooster.

Incidentally I have one of those laying hens sitting on a batch of eggs since I threw a rooster in the mix to see what would happen. I prefer duck eggs- FAR superior, and would really like to know how some hens lay eggs without being "fertilized" or "stepped on" and the grandaddy offshoot- how fertile are the eggs if sat upon.

Ok- everyone knows I'm an egghead- I'll just mention idunno- i asked several vets and "campesinos" and they bounced the question around w/ no answer and finally said- you know a lot of stuff- why dont you look it up on that internet. Already did that. Si if chickens can fly- they can sail- and if they don't lay- they make good soup- and gizzards are good for the flu.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

I looked it up again. I still dunno. I think I'm bozo.
    Sexing chicks

Can chickens change their sex? (If the rooster dies, then will one hen change into a rooster?) UPDATE: For a couple years now I have answered this question as No, but recently thanks to an e-mail I learned differently!! It is true. It can happen. What to know more? Go here. Also, I e-mailed my professor and asked this question. This was his reply: "Yes a type of sex reversal does occur in poultry. Both a right and left ovary start to develop in the embryo but between day 7 and 9 of incubation the right gonad ceases to continue development. If in the adult, the left ovary is removed or fails to function the right gonad hypertrophies to become a testis-organ and thus "a male' instead of what was a hen." For some proof you can look at this page by Feathersite. Sex Change in Poultry

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

Sounds like a job for Myth Busters!

Thanks

Sexing chicks....

This isn't an X rated thread now is it?

/snickers
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Ok.. USDA wrote me back this morning.....

My Original Question:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:32 PM
    To: ARS
    Cc: Webmaster@oc.usda.gov
    Subject: Question from Ask the Expert-- Food&Nutrition Information Center - 1265221855570

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have been coming across something I can only describe as a myth and I
    can't locate ANY data on this.

The subject is whether raw eggs are preserved simply by rotating them
    every day so from end to end.

I know that hens will turn their eggs when brooding... but preserving
    them (as raw eggs, without refrigeration) seems a little suspect.

Is there ANY scientific evidence to support turning eggs as preservation
    method?

Thanks.

Rick
    Their response:
    Dear Rick:
    Thank you for writing the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service.

Twirling or spinning eggs will not preserve them. We recommend that eggs be stored in the refrigerator for both safety, and for quality.

Sincerely,
    Webmaster,
    Food Safety and Inspection Service

Food safety information is also available 24/7, by going to "Ask Karen,"
    our automated virtual representative at www.askkaren.gov. You may type your food safety question directly into the automated virtual representative feature.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

i think chickens have eggs regardless of roosters . the rooster fertilizes the egg i thought.

Thanks

I don't mean to egg you on and yes the yolk may be on me. I have actually tried the turning method but I did not notice any extended egg preservation.

I like the idea of carrying a chicken onboard, just make sure you keep it on the poop deck. I can't help but think that ancient mariners carried poultry. Also why do you suppose pirates are sometimes pictured with parrots on their shoulders?
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Luke,

Did you stay up ALL night working on that and the Inventions thread?

You got me snortin' coffee now. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Why not test it yourself Rick?

1 egg as a control.

1 egg that is flipped daily

1 egg in a ziplock (this is to maintain a static relative humidity)

As the eggs age, they outgas water vapor and it is replaced with air. As the eggs get too old, they will float in a container of water.

If you could get fresh eggs, that'd be the best but store bought will do as we're concerned with the relative longevity, not the absolute longevity of the eggs.

Once a week, put them in a pan of water, see which ones float. Once they stand up or start tilting, test every day.

Granted our testing method here will affect the outcome as it will moisten the eggs, but unless you have a sensitive scale, I can't think of an easier way to test the weight of the eggs.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Was going to suggest doing a home experiment too! And then eating the results whatever they may be...

Thanks

Because it's nonsense. lol.

Hell, the Government says it is nonsense. snicker.

Seriously... I would, but this is akin to getting a pyramid and sticking the eggs inside and keeping them there for a long period of time to see if they are preserved.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Actually, with the proper rooster and chicken and pyramid you may have stumbled on a perpetual motion machine. I feel that rabbits may provide a better intial power source though.....

I may have to move this idea to the invention thread?
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

This was a helpful thread. If Ryan tweaks the metatags it could do wonders for drawing traffic to taa.

Probably Rick will take a hen and cage it on the poopdeck-they need light. Maybe if you suplement feed with seaweed you can tweak some green eggs.

Rick know a lot of good stuff, so I'll do the experiment with washed and dirty eggs.
    I refer to his "up the butt" idea about hens laying eggs with some special film to preserve the eggs. He paints it as nature's "goo", but I always thot it was chickenshit.

canto XXV Dante

Shema Israel

Thanks

I have 4 eggs in the frig- 2 washed and two with the sticky special film Rick claims preserves eggs longer. Check back here in about a month to remind me to open them and see if they're still cookin-good.

As a greater impetus, possibly I'll have a dozen or so ducks and turkeys to boot at about the same time.

canto XXV Dante

Shema Israel

Thanks

Ok- dont count chicks before de hatch. I got hungry and ate the eggs- all good- both pairs- washed and unwashed the same.

Only 4 turkeys. Waitin on the ducks. gettin 5 hen eggs daily now- aint chickenfeed- but dere's hope w/ de turkeys. Dem eggs- bad. they are delicious- and sell for almost a buck a shell. I'm tryin to figure it out- how many times must the tom "step on" Mom for the 14 eggs to appear? The great and mysterious oz of internet dont know.

I'd rather go fish, I mean grow them, but the 02 techniques are stifling and besides- can I fish fish still?

i say stifle flipper and Fish. Dolphins eat 2 much.

canto XXV Dante

Shema Israel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samizdat View Post
    Ok- dont count chicks before de hatch. I got hungry and ate the eggs- all good- both pairs- washed and unwashed the same.

Only 4 turkeys. Waitin on the ducks. gettin 5 hen eggs daily now- aint chickenfeed- but dere's hope w/ de turkeys. Dem eggs- bad. they are delicious- and sell for almost a buck a shell. I'm tryin to figure it out- how many times must the tom "step on" Mom for the 14 eggs to appear? The great and mysterious oz of internet dont know.

I'd rather go fish, I mean grow them, but the 02 techniques are stifling and besides- can I fish fish still?

i say stifle flipper and Fish. Dolphins eat 2 much.
    So... how old were they then?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information