Thread: I Was Just Out Skated By A Woman - OR - Am I Too Old To Start Playing Hockey Again?

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default I Was Just Out Skated By A Woman - OR - Am I Too Old To Start Playing Hockey Again?

Also posted on ARFCOM: I Was Just Out Skated By A Woman - OR - Am I Too Old To Start Playing Hockey Again?

Been working my butt off for almost 2 years.

Last week I worked 76 hrs in 6 days.

Exercise of any sort has been about non-existent the last 2 years, and I can't stand it any more. I NEED to play sports.

Can't play baseball anymore due to a trashed shoulder, so decided to start playing hockey again - my second favorite sport.

So went to the local rink, and got kitted up. Darn stuff is expensive these days.

Haven't skated since 88 or 89. Damn, the gear sure has changed. Many more choices, and stuff is a lot lighter.

They didn't have my size skate, so had to order them. I had the bug to skate, so he handed me a pair of no-freaking-edge-whatsoever rentals, and off I went.

Man, I'm getting old; I'll be 53 soon.

The brain was willing, but the body wasn't.

Didn't come any where near falling, and certainly didn't hug the edge, but I suck.

Anyway, there was this young lady wearing hockey skates there.

So I skate around a few times, and tried some cross overs, but the skates had no edge at all, and I couldn't hold it.

She this lady blasts around me, circles the blue line, turns around, and skates lines...backwards.

She skated very well. May have to check the schedule and see when the women play.

So anyway, I'm thinking, "Show off!"

So then she comes up behind me, spins around, and skates backwards with me.

She asks how long had it been, and I said more than 20 yrs.

She said she could see that I had played, and to keep at it - it would all come back.

And I'm thinking, "Yeah, in about 10 years."

We chatted a bit, then she went back to her drills.

Sure felt good to get back on the ice.

They have a couple of skating classes at the rink, from beginner, intermediate, and senior hockey. Guy told me to show up for the intermediate hockey classes on Wed.

I'll probably spend more time on my ass than the skates. Maybe I should play goalie.

So whaddya think - am I too old?

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: I Was Just Out Skated By A Woman - OR - Am I Too Old To Start Playing Hockey Agai

Nah, never too old! I know someone who literally climbed Mt. Everest in his 60s.

You probably did a lot better than I would have. I've NEVER done well on ice!

Thanks

Default Re: I Was Just Out Skated By A Woman - OR - Am I Too Old To Start Playing Hockey Agai

It sure did feel good.

I skated around the goal crease once or twice just to look at it.

Thanks

First off... Backstop... 53 is not "old".

Secondly, it does come back... I don't know about skating, but I stopped sword fighting for many years. It comes back VERY quickly, let me tell you!

Over all, I'd say you're not too old. Come on, I'm about to embark on a sailing career for the rest of my life... from 55 on (well, I'm 53 in August so from now on out).

Sailing isn't EASY... but it's not extremely difficult either. What's difficult is the math involved in navigation. On the other hand, over the past year, I lost weight and got in better shape just sailing. There's a LOT of bending over, standing up, moving things, hoisting sails, ducking booms... it's less impact than running, but over time it sure tones a person's body up!

Get some good skates. I'm betting it will come back very quickly.

Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Thanks Rick.

"Getting old."

These last 2 yrs took their toll. Worked just too many damn hours, with little to no time for myself.

Exercising really suffered the last year; kinda figured my shooting did also. Although I was surprised at how my shooting skills didn't degrade as much as I predicted when I went to a class in Feb.

Have an average pair of skates on order Bauer Vapor 30. Didin't have my size in stock. The equipment has changed so much in the last 20 years; there's now a ton of choices.

Thanks

Like I said... it all comes back. When I started riding again (bicycles) a few years back, it had been a very, very long time since I raced. I raced 10 speeds in HS. I picked up a nice multi-speed mountain bike, my wife bought it for me for my birthday a few years back.

It wasn't long, perhaps on the order of a month or so that my old "leg muscles" came back in force and I was able to keep up with kids way younger than myself around the neighborhood. I saw a few out riding one day and caught them, then passed them going around my little track I made up (the local roads). Not once... twice...
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

The brain was willing, but the body wasn't.

#######################################

I am somewhat older and do not consider myself "old" (6'4" 235 lbs), even though I have not skated for over 15 years. I have never played hockey before, because I could not afford time and all the gear in my teens.

Last year I got the hockey gear (~$1500). I got skates (Graf) in Toronto's biggest hockey store ($ CAN 350). I did not think it was a good idea to get skates from catalogue, because you have to see how they fit on your foot before buying them! I have been skating since May of last year. Like you, I run into a lot of very nice people. The hockey outfit seems to get me a lot of respect on the ice during general skating sessions. Little kids come up to you and want an autograph ("Mr. professional hockey player could you please give me an autograph"). Other pepole want skating tips. Everyone asks which team I used to play for or am I playing hockey now?

Recently, a younger lady who skated with me in the rink approached me with following line: "I am an older woman of forty, but I used to play hockey in the past elsewhere. Do you know if this rink has a woman's hockey team that I could join?". I had to reassure her that she was doing fine and was not "old", and that she would be welcome at my rink's formal weekly evening hockey "rustheads" game. I told her that some of the guys were over sixty, but you could not tell it and yet they played very well.

Lessons help, because they help you to have regular work-outs with a personal skating/hockey coach (cheap: $10-12/per 15 min ). Without lessons you may not be able to advance beyond "intermediate".

P.S. Do not forget to check your cholesterol and have a stress test by you favorite cardiologist before you dress up for the game.
    Last edited by Kosciuszko; March 6th, 2010 at 13:50. Reason: error

Thanks

Don't let Rick fool You Backstop.... He's actually extremely old. At least I saw it written somewhere...
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

Thanks

Great info, Kos.

Sounds like you're having fun - and that's what it's all about. The exercise part is pure bonus.

As far as skates go - I ordered mine through the shop - not online or catalog. The shop mesaured my foot. If the skates don't fit, I'll order another and hopefully correct size. I agree with you 100% about sizing.

I'm really looking forward to playing a team sport again. Guess that's the biggest benefit for me - playing a sport.

Had a physical a few months ago, and the doc told me I'm just now going through stuff that guys in their 40s were.

My chol was up a bit due to my abysmal diet the last 2 years; working around 70 hrs a week left little time for cooking. Doc said I was no where near needing meds, just needed to change my diet.

3 weeks ago had blood drawn, and he left me a message and said it was back in normal range.

Time to skate!

Just gotta remember not to check anyone...

Maybe next year when I get my legs back I'll play in the checking league.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Baldwin View Post
    Don't let Rick fool You Backstop.... He's actually extremely old. At least I saw it written somewhere...
    HAHA!

Good to see you, Brian.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brian baldwin View Post
    don't let rick fool you backstop.... He's actually extremely old. At least i saw it written somewhere...
    stuff up! Lol!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information