>>
    >>
    >>
    Mark's Newsletter Update:
    Improving the Health of Coloradans
    Mark's Updates | April 2, 2010>>

>>
    Dear Fellow Coloradan,>>

Last week, I joined my colleagues in the House and Senate to pass landmark health insurance reform legislation. I then had the honor of attending the ceremony in which President Obama signed the bill into law.>>
    Over the last year, we’ve had a robust debate in our country and our state about health insurance reform, right up to the last moments before we voted. I heard from literally thousands of Coloradans during that time. I listened to supporters and opponents of this legislation, including small business owners and families, but what struck me most were the powerful stories from Coloradans struggling to afford coverage, or worried about losing their jobs and their insurance. In short, most of what I heard confirmed my view that the current system is broken.>>
    Below you’ll find more information about the impact the health reform law will have on our state. But, as with any legislation, this bill is not perfect. I’ll continue working to make sure it’s implemented smoothly and in the best interest of all Coloradans. I urge you to stay in contact, share your experiences, and let me know how I can work to improve the new law.>>
    Warm Regards,
    >>

Improving the Health of Coloradans>>

>>
    The goal of the new health reform law is to ensure that insurance companies keep their promises to consumers and never drop them from coverage because of a pre-existing condition. It expands coverage to an additional 800,000 Coloradans, makes it easier for small business owners to provide insurance to their employees, gives everyone the freedom to change jobs, start a business, or start a family knowing that health coverage will be there for them when they need it, and it finally closes the Medicare “donut hole” – the gap in the prescription drug benefit, which currently forces too many seniors to choose between buying medicine and buying food. It’s a sturdy foundation upon which to build, improve, and strengthen access to health care.>>
    Here’s a snapshot of the positive effects the new law will have for Colorado. The health reform law means:>>

• 1.2 million children can no longer be denied health coverage because of a pre-existing condition.>>
    • Almost 500,000 young adults in Colorado, who would otherwise be kicked off of their parents' health care policies, could be eligible to maintain that coverage through their 27th birthday.>>
    • Over 574,000 seniors in the Medicare program will get preventive care with absolutely no co-pay or out-of-pocket costs.>>
    • Colorado’s employers will be able to hire up to 6,500 new employees each year in our state due to lower health care costs.>>
    • 68,800 Colorado small businesses owners will get millions of dollars in tax credits to offer health insurance to their employees.>>
    • And more than 100,000 Colorado seniors will pay less for prescription drugs.>>

I’m also very proud that the new law includes a provision I introduced after talking with Coloradans in rural communities across our state. It’s designed to help overcome one of the biggest barriers to health care in rural communities – the shortage of doctors.>>
    The provision, known as the Rural Physicians Pipeline Act, will make grants available to help medical schools across the country establish programs similar to one at the University of Colorado that will help us train “home-grown” doctors with a real, personal interest in the health of their communities. A 2008 study found that if all medical schools enrolled just 10 students per class in a program like this, we would be able to double the number of graduating rural doctors. Doubling the number of doctors who go on to practice in communities like Trinidad, or Alamosa, or Walsenburg can go a long way to improving the health in rural communities – and relieving the burden on doctors and community health clinics across Colorado. I fought hard to include this provision in the final reform act – and I’m very happy it has become law. Rural Colorado – and rural America – should never be left behind when it comes to health care.>>
    WATCH a speech I delivered on how the health reform bill benefits Colorado
    READ more about the Rural Physicians Pipeline Act
    READ more about other provisions I authored in the law>>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    Regional Offices & Contact Information>>
    Washington, D.C. Office
    Hart Office Building
    Suite SH-317
    Washington, D.C. 20510
    P: 202-224-5941>>

Northwest Region
    Jay Fetcher
    Regional Director
    P.O. Box 866
    Clark, CO 80428>>

Central Mountain Region
    Matthew Sugar
    Regional Director
    P.O. Box 743
    Tabernash, CO 80478>>

Denver Office
    999 Eighteenth Street
    North Tower, Suite 1525
    Denver, CO 80202
    P: 303-650-7820>>

Colorado Springs Office
    2880 International Circle
    Suite 107
    Colorado Springs, CO 80910
    P: 719-471-3993>>

Toll Free for Coloradans
    877-7-MUDALL
    (877-768-3255)>>

Grand Junction Office
    400 Rood Avenue
    Suite 215
    Grand Junction, CO 81501
    P: 970-245-9553>>

Greeley Office
    801 8th Street
    Suite 140A
    Greeley, CO 80631
    P: 970-356-5586>>

Pueblo Office
    107 West B Street
    Pueblo, CO 81003
    P: 719-542-1701>>

Durango Office
    954 East 2nd Avenue
    Suite 106
    Durango, CO 81301
    P: 970-247-1047>>

To unsubscribe from Mark's Newsletter, please visit the unsubscribe page here:
    http://markudall.senate.gov/?p=newsletter_unsub>>
    >>
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Congress proud of themselves over Healthcare

we know what to do in the 2010 Congressional elections dont we? my senator from my district in iowa said he "thinks he is in a safe district, and isnt worried." the day he said that, everyone in my family sent an email saying pack your bags, we are going to show you just how 'safe' this district is.

A week later he's on youtube mouthing about he doesnt CARE about what the constitution says, he was gonna do what he wanted to.

i cant W - A - I - T to vote. Congress is in for a rude surprise and one helluva bitchslap. i hope it hits em full force.

ev

Thread Information