Thread: WickedLasers Unveils "Lightsaber" Powerful Enough to Set People on Fire

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default WickedLasers Unveils "Lightsaber" Powerful Enough to Set People on Fire

WickedLasers Unveils "Lightsaber" Powerful Enough to Set People on Fire
    It goes without saying that this product is not safe for children

June 10, 2010

WickedLasers Spyder III Pro Arctic Laser

With recent advances in lasers, many have fantasized about creating "real life lightsabers". Many military commanders have fantasized about creating portable blasters along the lines of those portrayed in fictional workers like Star Trek and Star Wars. The Spyder III Pro Arctic laser from WickedLasers can be seen perhaps as the culmination of those efforts and perhaps the first consumer laser weapon.

The laser is built with a diode from Casio's new mercury-free Green Slim projectors which ironically have a somewhat blue tint. The laser is rated at 1 watt of power and retails for a mere $200 USD.

And here's the best (or worst) part -- it can set people (or things) on fire. Apparently the laser is so high powered that shining it on fleshy parts will cause them to burst into flames. Of course it's equally capable of blinding people. The retailer warns:

Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class IV Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form.

If you're willing to "sign the form", WickedLasers warns you "With greater power comes the need for greater responsibility." (We can't make this stuff up, really!)

The laser comes in sleek packaging that looks, unsurprisingly like a lightsaber. Hopefully its users follow the path of the light side. The last thing we need is a bunch of Sith running around.

The price of $200 is quite commendable, considering it's 20 times as powerful as the company's previous best model, "Sonar", while a mere tenth of the cost ("Sonar" sells for $2,000 -- we imagine it will be discontinued as it seems most customers will flock to the Spyder III). The product even comes with a free pair of safety glasses, so you don't accidentally blind yourself.

Obviously it goes without saying that this is not a product to leave around kids. Don't say we didn't warn you.

The laser retails for a mere $200 an is perhaps a good self-defense tool in urban areas.

Thanks

Default Re: WickedLasers Unveils "Lightsaber" Powerful Enough to Set People on Fire

Give it 3-4 years, it'll be the size of a small flashlight, $20, twice the power, dangle from your keychain, and you'll be able to carve your initials in a mugger's scrotum.

Thanks

Default Re: WickedLasers Unveils "Lightsaber" Powerful Enough to Set People on Fire

I want one.

Pirate Repellent.

You know.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html

Tin foil jock on. Dental mirrors body pierced on eyelids and fingers.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Hmm. I'm somewhat skeptical that it will set fire to a human...at least in any reasonable time span....like 2 seconds. More than 2 seconds and the human will be getting out of the way of said laser.

I've put my hand under a 20 watt beam and I jerked it out like it was a hot flame. My skin didn't catch on fire. The difference however was the frequency of 1064nm, vs this laser at 445nm. I don't know what that means in as far as felt pain or ability to cause ignition.

1w just doesn't strike me as powerful enough to torch someone.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

1 w can burn.

Stick your finger on a resistor in a circuit that is pumping full current and heated up to 100% of the ability to dissipate the 1 w
    Libertatem Prius!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Yesterday was the last day you could have gotten one for $197.97US.

The price just went up over $100.00US to $299.95US.

250 units of the G1 are rumored to be shipping now.

If your order is was one of the first it will be a G1 with no Smartswitch/lower power options...just full strength.

G1 Options:
    Full power = ~1W

If it was a recent order it will probably be the newer G2 version with Smartswitch/Strobe feature and shield cap:

G2 Options:
    Full power = ~1W
    Full w/Lens = ~200mw equiv.
    G2 Low Power = ~100mw equiv.
    G2 Low W/Lens = ~20mw equiv.

The added strobe feature gives 5 more operating options:
    * Low Power (10% of maximum) , Constant Wave
    * Low Power (10% of maximum) , Strobe (6Hz / 50%)
    * Max Power , Constant Wave
    * Max Power , Strobe (6Hz / 50%)
    * Secure Hibernation Mode

Low Power:

Full Power:

This video shows the upgraded S3 Arctic with the Smartswitch. Using the Smartswitch, you can select between 5 operating modes with just a few clicks: low power pulse mode, hi power pulse mode, low power constant wave mode, hi power constant wave mode and secure hibernation mode (laser locked).

1W 445nm Blue Laser Burning Tests

*** Anyone who plan to buy the "Wicked Lasers Spyder III Pro Arctic" really needs to think about the serious hazard! I'm dead serious, this is NOT A TOY! Don't even think about using it without goggles, I have looked at the dot at full blast at 5-10 meters away for just a very brief moment, and it is not pleasant! I sure won't do that again. It is uncomfortable even at a very low power, just because of the deep indigo-blue colour. This thing WILL do damage to your eyes! All it takes is a simple mistake! ***

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

*** Anyone who plan to buy the "Wicked Lasers Spyder III Pro Arctic" really needs to think about the serious hazard! I'm dead serious, this is NOT A TOY! Don't even think about using it without goggles, I have looked at the dot at full blast at 5-10 meters away for just a very brief moment, and it is not pleasant! I sure won't do that again. It is uncomfortable even at a very low power, just because of the deep indigo-blue colour. This thing WILL do damage to your eyes! All it takes is a simple mistake! ***

Only an idiot does that
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information