Thread: Arrogance

Thanks

Default Arrogance

arrogance

Main Entry: ar·ro·gance

Pronunciation: \ˈer-ə-gən(t)s, ˈa-rə-\

Function: noun

Date: 14th century
    : an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions
    (http://mw4.m-w.com/dictionary/arrogance)

Etymology

Old French, from Latin arrogantia.
    [edit] Noun

arrogance (usually uncountable; plural arrogances)

1. The act or habit of arrogating, or making undue claims in an overbearing manner; that species of pride which consists in exorbitant claims of rank, dignity, estimation, or power, or which exalts the worth or importance of the person to an undue degree; proud contempt of others; lordliness; haughtiness; self-assumption; presumption. Closely related to the act of arrogating.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Arrogance

Alright, let me explain why I started this thread.

In recent months I was "accused" by someone of being arrogant.

Now, first of all I don't think I am. I do not:

1) Make undue claims
    2) I do not "act lordly"
    3) I make no claim to "rank" other than being a Free Citizen of the United States
    4) I do not have contempt of others (with certain noted exceptions of that species of political animal which many if not all of us despise anyway)

What I DO believe is that I am right. Most, if not all the time, about most subjects I chose to discuss. I chose not to discuss those subjects I know little about.

Over the years I have watched others and noted that true arrogance is that displayed by politicians who work for ME and YOU.

As an American I believe that I have the right to be Free.

That means freedom to do my job, or not as I chose, to work, or not as I chose.

I have the right to live and I believe I have the right to defend myself to continue living and not be deprived of my life.

I have the absolute RIGHT to question my appointed, elected officials about their performance.

I have the absolute RIGHT to practice (or to NOT practice) my religion.

I have the absolute right to be free from soldiers or military personnel from quartering, living or using my home as a place of deployment or use as a headquarters, or live in my basement.

I have the absolute right of protection from unreasonable search and seizure. (More on this at a later time)

I have the absolute right to not be held to answer for any crime without due process, nor to have anything taken from me or seized for no reason, or to be tried twice for the same crime.

If accused of a crime I have the absolute right to expect a trial by jury and to get it, if I want, to be able to confront those making such accusations against me, right to counsel and a right to speedy trial if it comes to that point.

I have the absolute right to have a reasonable bail set in respect to being accused of a crime.

I have an absolute right to have my rights - and ALL of the above are not the only rights I have. I also have all other rights and shall NOT be denied rights simply because those rights listed are written in the Constitution. Because something is written does not limit or deny me my other rights.

Finally as a citizen of the United States and currently the Great State of Colorado, the following applies...

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Thus... my friends, I do not believe it arrogant for me as a citizen to demand of those whom I helped elect to be held accountable to us who elected them.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I think I have had that accusation thrown at me by people who've merely argued with me as part of normal contact with me about politics. Also by family members because I do have a habit of making my statements without shrouding anything in mystery.

It's all black and white to me, therefore I don't have to preface my explanations.

I consider myself "above" political appointees, and that does not exclude the President of the United States. He works for me, I do NOT work for him.

Relative to General McCrystal, he is a General, a military man. He's a four star general and is a political appointee whom serves at the pleasure of the President of the United States.

Now, was what he said "insubordination" or merely arrogance?

Not sure.... but for me, as a former military man, I would have probably kept my mouth shut until I got out of the position I was in (in this case that of Commander in Chief of the forces in the middle East).

In truth, as a civilian, I am "above" (to make a pun) arrogance. I am not holding a political office, I don't answer to anyone politically. I have a RIGHT to my opinion and freedom of speech. Therefore, I can't be arrogant. But a General, or President can.

I find it funny that the current administration has decided to believe McCrystal to be arrogant when the current administration's own arrogance ignores those of us who put them in office in the first place.

Therefore, I ask... what precisely is "arrogance"?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I asked Ms. Luke if she had seen my boots, she said
    Air against.... the wall in the closet.

Hard to resist hillbilly humour.

I think many people seem to think that arrogance is if an opinion is different than what they believe to be true and is stated to them with conviction.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

I think many people seem to think that arrogance is if an opinion is different than what they believe to be true and is stated to them with conviction.

You hit the nail on the head. That's precisely what I was getting at...
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Alright, let me explain why I started this thread.

In recent months I was "accused" by someone of being arrogant.

Now, first of all I don't think I am. I do not:

1) Make undue claims
    2) I do not "act lordly"
    3) I make no claim to "rank" other than being a Free Citizen of the United States
    4) I do not have contempt of others (with certain noted exceptions of that species of political animal which many if not all of us despise anyway)

What I DO believe is that I am right. Most, if not all the time, about most subjects I chose to discuss. I chose not to discuss those subjects I know little about.

Over the years I have watched others and noted that true arrogance is that displayed by politicians who work for ME and YOU.

As an American I believe that I have the right to be Free.

That means freedom to do my job, or not as I chose, to work, or not as I chose.

I have the right to live and I believe I have the right to defend myself to continue living and not be deprived of my life.

I have the absolute RIGHT to question my appointed, elected officials about their performance.

I have the absolute RIGHT to practice (or to NOT practice) my religion.

I have the absolute right to be free from soldiers or military personnel from quartering, living or using my home as a place of deployment or use as a headquarters, or live in my basement.

I have the absolute right of protection from unreasonable search and seizure. (More on this at a later time)

I have the absolute right to not be held to answer for any crime without due process, nor to have anything taken from me or seized for no reason, or to be tried twice for the same crime.

If accused of a crime I have the absolute right to expect a trial by jury and to get it, if I want, to be able to confront those making such accusations against me, right to counsel and a right to speedy trial if it comes to that point.

I have the absolute right to have a reasonable bail set in respect to being accused of a crime.

I have an absolute right to have my rights - and ALL of the above are not the only rights I have. I also have all other rights and shall NOT be denied rights simply because those rights listed are written in the Constitution. Because something is written does not limit or deny me my other rights.

Finally as a citizen of the United States and currently the Great State of Colorado, the following applies...

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Thus... my friends, I do not believe it arrogant for me as a citizen to demand of those whom I helped elect to be held accountable to us who elected them.

Well said........................
    Ab Urbe Condita 2761

Thread Information